Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I feel like everyone does Team LONR (well, SCLE if we're going by defaults :v:) the first time they do this... But I also think some of the best scenes in the game come from having Leave and Remain in.

Let's shake it up just a little bit. Nathan, Jack, Leave, Remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Leave, Mowgli, Jack, and Empty Slot. Leave's scenario never ended :v:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Leave, Jack, Mowgli, and Empty Slot

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Jack, Olivia, Remain, and Leave

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Olivia, Nathan, Jack and Remain.

What was that Esper? Some sort of feathered serpent? In honor of FF8, if that thing doesn't get named I'm calling it Quetzacotl.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Junpei posted:

What was that Esper? Some sort of feathered serpent? In honor of FF8, if that thing doesn't get named I'm calling it Quetzacotl.

Since Esper names aren't spoilers except for the two that are actually plot-relevant, that one's Valigarmander. It never comes up as a plot point, so I don't think it's spoilers to say that.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 6, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Valigarmanda, actually. The original name for it in "FF3" was Tritoch, mostly due to space concerns.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I always enjoyed talking to party members during the Narshe fight, even if nobody said anything that interesting. I always ran Kefka's army into the ground too- it took time but was fun. My groups were usually the same as Leave's but I put Sabin with Jack & Olivia so I had backup shitwreckers. Mowgli stayed alone as Banon's last line of defense. I usually had one strike team kill Rider and the other get Kefka.

Party Vote- Leave, Remain, Nathan, Olivia with options to return to Narshe later if we want to change party members. There's plenty of reasons for that, trust me.

As promised, here's how to get back to the Veldt to grind Mowgli should you so desire- walk through all the previous dungeons-Figaro Cave, Mount Koltz (soldiers block you from entering South Figaro) and then ride the river again. You'll end up where Leave started his scenario and can visit Mowgli's dad if you like. Past the Phantom Forest and Barren Falls is the Veldt and you can go back to Narshe thru the Serpent Trench and Nikeah ferry like before. A couple side quests are in this area, but nothing that can't wait. I recommend continuing with the plot for now.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

BlackPersona posted:

Leave, Mowgli, Jack, and Empty Slot. Leave's scenario never ended :v:

This

Team Leave Forever

Wait, that didn't come out right...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

Nathan, Remain, Leave, Olivia.

This.

Also, RIP Runic, Kefka was probably the last practical time to bust it out, rather than outright murder the thing casting magic at you.

Torrast
May 17, 2007
Regarding the update, I'm pretty sure the soldiers do not respawn indefinitely, at least in some versions of the game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Torrast posted:

Regarding the update, I'm pretty sure the soldiers do not respawn indefinitely, at least in some versions of the game.

That's what it's sounding like, so I'll have to edit that later. It certainly seemed like it, but maybe I just didn't kill enough of them.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Leavemywife posted:

That's what it's sounding like, so I'll have to edit that later. It certainly seemed like it, but maybe I just didn't kill enough of them.

Yeah, my favorite tactic was just to park a team at each of the three entrances to the Banon area and just kill everything that showed up.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

Leavemywife posted:

It's true. There is a certain number of soldiers that spawn from that one location, because there isn't enough room to show them all on the screen at once but it's not an infinite spawn.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to remember the green ones being one and done. The brown ones revive once (except the Rider, he's a one-off).

I thought they didn't revert to start though, you knock them down after the first fight, then they get right back up and fight again, unless you back up before they can retrigger combat.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

FeyerbrandX posted:

I seem to remember the green ones being one and done. The brown ones revive once (except the Rider, he's a one-off).

I thought they didn't revert to start though, you knock them down after the first fight, then they get right back up and fight again, unless you back up before they can retrigger combat.

No idea where you got that.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The soldiers are finite, but there's one that does respawn (the one running back and forth in front of Kefka, if you're not quick enough), IIRC. But that's just incentive to not screw up.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I will also vote Olivia, Leave, Remain, and Nathan. But note the order, I want Olivia in front. :v:

It's possible to find spots to grind out easy infinite experience, the river sequence with Banon being the most infamous, but for reasons we'll get to, that's counterproductive in the long run.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
Ooh, this is a hard choice. I think it would be interesting to start with Remain, Nathan and Olivia. Because reasons. :)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Nathan, Olivia, Empty Spot, and Leavemywife's Choice. Nathan has to be in this party for reasons, and it's probably best if Olivia's with him. Empty Spot is for a not-so-obvious reason, and I don't remember anyone else being important until a good bit later.

The Brothers of Destruction are just too good at this point not to be obvious choices, really. Waiting for Jack's gauge to build makes him drat near useless. Mowgli is very situational. He can be the perfect counter to what you're facing, and every other time you just stick him with some standby Rage like Stray Cat. But getting him new powers can be time consuming, and requires its own charts to get the full benefit of them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As long as you keep moving you can pick off every single baddie in the Narshe Raid with one power party, which is what I do, with a Genji'd Locke/Healer party standing in front of Banon just in case.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Kevos Setzer posted:

The Brothers of Destruction are just too good at this point not to be obvious choices, really. Waiting for Jack's gauge to build makes him drat near useless. Mowgli is very situational. He can be the perfect counter to what you're facing, and every other time you just stick him with some standby Rage like Stray Cat. But getting him new powers can be time consuming, and requires its own charts to get the full benefit of them.

Mowgli would be a disc 1 nuke with Guard Leader and Templar. The only situational caveat would be "I want more than one Steal attempt." With Mowgli's rage list I would say leave him out.

Olivia, Leave, Remain, and Nathan.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I sort of blundered my way through this bit. Ended up with Sabin and Celes facing down Kefka by themselves. I had Celes constantly use Runic while Sabin blasted him with Hadokens. It... worked surprisingly well?

Party vote:

Leave, Remain, Olivia, Nathan which is the exact party I'm rolling with.

Jack can look after the little scamp back home.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

I sort of blundered my way through this bit. Ended up with Sabin and Celes facing down Kefka by themselves. I had Celes constantly use Runic while Sabin blasted him with Hadokens. It... worked surprisingly well?

I am not surprised.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh hey the thread ended. Which is to say I finally caught up and get to vote!

Mowgli, Olivia, Nathan, Blank slot

Bringing the power team everywhere is boring.

Also, I am shocked, shocked that there was not a single vote to name Cyan MrThou, his proper name. The closest was a single vote for Thou.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Looks like for this next bit, we'll be rolling with Team LORN; Leave, Olivia, Remain and Nathan!

And as someone requested, Olivia will be our party leader.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Aw, poor Lorne...he left Team Angel. Life poo poo on him again and again

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, and he killed me when it should have been Angel. F that guy!

Although he did do well with singing...

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 8, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Double Negative is streaming more Thousand Year Door, if you're interested in hearing me and him bullshit over a great game!

Join us, won't you?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty One: Backstory Ahoy!

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we fought off Kefka's advance on Narshe and his attempt to steal their esper. Terra interacted with the esper again and transformed into some sort of creature and flew off to parts unknown. Today, Olivia, Remain, Leave and Nathan set out to find Terra, so let's roll.

This is a pretty good party, all things considered. Our bases are covered with magic, healing and otherwise, Remain's Tools that can strike all enemies or poison them, Leave's powerful Blitz attacks, and Nathan's dual wielding physicals, as well as his ability to steal.

West, you say? Well, Figaro Castle can travel that way. Maybe we should--

Yeah, that.

So, find Terra, and let her know that there's no pressure on her to not be a scary monster and to come back. Alright, should be easy enough.

But before we leave Narshe, let's check out the armor and weapon shops. There's upgrades aplenty to be had.

Inside the armor shop, there's new shields, but not much else to get excited about. Olivia picks up a Silk Robe, which adds 1 to her Magic.

Let's grab some new weaponry.

Nathan is the only one who picks up something here; I should have gotten Olivia a Chain Flail, but I do it in a later town. For now, I buy Nathan two Moonring Blades.

With that, he'll lose a bit of Speed and Evasion, but his Attack goes through the roof. And the Moonring Blades are thrown weapons, so Nathan can hang out in the back row, with the rest of the cool kids.

Finally, let's check out the Relic shop.

And I buy approximately none of this poo poo. Since I have my guys outfitted with good poo poo already, I don't really need any of this.

So let's get over to Figaro Castle. We're taking the twins, too, so expect some backstory stuff to happen.

In fact, most of this update is backstory. Nathan is prominently featured as well.

And while we're around here, let's see the Moonring Blades in action.

Nathan is a really good damage dealer right now, and regular attacks come out instantly, so he's definitely valuable to have around right now. Combine that with his new backrow status and his high Speed, and Nathan is dropping bombs on the enemies.

I'm not the biggest fan of Nathan, but I'll admit, he's a good character when you give him the right tools.

Just because their hair is the same length does not mean that Olivia=Remain.

As soon as we walk through that door, Leave breaks out of the party, since it's been a long time since he was here.

While Leave looks around, we're going to go shopping.

Hey, alright, free goods!

Dammit, Remain.

'course, since we have the King around, we get our goods at half price, which is good, because Remain's Tools are a little costly.

The Drill is unblockable damage that pierces Defense, so Remain finally has an excellent source of single target physical damage.

Meanwhile, Flash hits all targets, has a chance to Blind them, and is a friggin' camera, so it's awesome.

To kick off this next batch of scenes, we've gotta go take a nap.

Leave is feeling a bit melancholic tonight.

: Nothing can ever really be the same... Not after what happened...

Ooh, a seamless flashback.

This is the night their father died.

Remain, ever the good brother, goes to comfort his twin.

: So... Dad...didn't make it...

When the priestess comes to find you, it's never good news.

: and the only thing any of you can think about is who'll be the next king! No one's even sad!

:smith:

I know what it looks like, but Leave is not choking her out.

Up on top of the castle, Remain catches up with Leave.

Well, I guess you could, but who's left to run things?

: You said you didn't want to be a king, right?

: A life of freedom, huh...? ...What do you think would happen to Figaro if both of us left? There'd be no one to take the throne. Dad was counting on us to take care of the kingdom...

What better way to decide who will rule than a fuckin' coin flip?

: The winner chooses whichever path he wants...no regrets, not hard feelings. Okay?

...How long have you been there, Remain?

:allears:

I don't see why not; you took over the kingdom and now you're fighting to save the world and rescue a girl who is key to doing so. That's probably something to make any father proud.

Unless your father was Satan or Emperor Gestahl, I suppose.

Holy Christ, Remain hadn't seen Leave for ten fuckin' years? :psyduck:

This is getting dangerously close to chick-flick territory. We've gotta do something here.

And I suppose pulling a Rick and getting hammered is the best way to go about it.

Wubba lubba dub dub, indeed.

With that done, let's get this castle moving.

...Wait, people can just request to head over somewhere else? They can just ask you, "Hey, the store over there has Code Red, can we get movin'?" and you just pop over there?

"Anyone need cheap smokes? We're going to Kohlingen!"

"Aww, man, it's before seven in their time zone! The liquor store isn't open yet!"

Kohlingen has some backstory in it, too, and I'm going to tentatively allow discussion of it.

However, if you guys get loving weird with it, that poo poo is done.

If you don't know what's coming, well...Let's get it done.

Ah, so Terra has been here. Interesting.

It's entirely possible she was going to eat your child, but was frightened off.

Which we'll see next update. Jidoor is an interesting town.

So, everyone knows the best place to find information about anything is in the pub. Even if we just did find out what we needed to know outside of the pub, but pub vicinity is good for information.

...Why, is that our old ninja pal?

I'll be damned, it is!

This is why some people were voting for me to have a blank spot, so we could recruit Bowser here. However, he still operates under the rules he did when he joined us in Leave's scenario, and we've got a long way to go, so that's a little too risky for me.

He's also ridden the train of the dead.

That pub is full of boring people. Let's go find something interesting.

That's definitely interesting. I like coliseums.

Wow, that guy's house looks like poo poo.

So, let's recap on Terra's activities since transforming.

1) Scared the poo poo out of some random guy
2) Approached a child who thought she was cool
3) Scared said child's mother, but then the mother thought she was cool
4) Blasted the living poo poo out of this guy's house

The things of note here are the scrolls; they're throwable items, usable only by Bowser, and also come in a Lightning flavor. When Bowser throws them, they produce an elemental effect that hits all enemies, but since Bowser isn't with us, who gives a poo poo.

I do buy Olivia a Chain Flail, which hits for full damage from the back row; when she's not casting spells, she'll be whacking bad guys.

With that done, let's get to the backstory part of this town.

Which involves a haunted grow house. Fantastic.

But before we head in there, we'll sneak into the back.

Where we can jack a Green Beret.

...Hey, wait a second, Jack has my other Green Beret. Son of a bitch.

Nathan gets this one to help his Evasion go up, since it doesn't feel right if he doesn't have high Evasion. Maybe I'm just weird.

Okay, in we go.

And we're going straight to the basement, where the old coot is--

:stare:

Nathan, do you mind explaining this?

:gonk:

:cry:

OH GOD HE DRUGGED US

...No, wait, just a flashback.

Though, this reminds me, it's been a while since I watched Kill Bill. I kind of like that movie.

Like I said, I'm going to allow discussion of this, but don't get loving creepy about it.

This would be so much better if this fuckfence wasn't giggling about it all the time. Seriously, 1000% better.

This guy makes me uncomfortable in ways I can't adequately articulate.

I think your biggest failure was leaving her in the hands of this guy.

Everybody files out, hopefully to go back to the pub.

Olivia, don't worry. This isn't your fate.

On the other side of town, we find Rachel's old house.

May as well go see if there's anything to loot.

What the hell happened? Let's start there, and we'll determine fault.

Ah, there we go.

Okay, they're on a treasure hunt.

So, from what I've read, Nathan is off hunting what is supposed to be Rachel's engagement ring.

And this is Mt. Koltz, if you were wondering.

Alright, let's do it to it!

You can't see it, but the bridge is starting to break.

Rachel knocks Nathan out of the way.

And then goes falling into the abyss.

And there goes Nathan.

This is very similar to how we found her before.

But, she's been stricken with amnesia

Which is definitely not what the guy who loves you wants to hear.

...That might be making things worse, Nathan.

Especially since she has absolutely no memory of you, and only knows you as the guy who distresses her parents when he's around.

There's a fade to black between the last bit and this, but Nathan is just there, outside of her house.

drat.

: A year went by... When I finally returned, I found out that Rachel had been killed in an Imperial attack. Her memory had returned just before she died. The last thing she said was...my name. I never should have left her side. I... I failed her...

Let's just get going.

We're going to head south, to Jidoor.

The town we want to visit is directly east, but the mountain is in the way, so we have to go around.

But, we'll be stopping in Jidoor, and picking up there next update.

Until then, stay tuned!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Those scenes were... pretty much the entire reason I voted the way I did; I always use this team going through here, so as much as I wanted to go "Nathan, Jack, Mowgli and Bowser Blank Spot" storytime demanded otherwise. They're just such great scenes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Leavemywife posted:

Update Twenty One: Backstory Ahoy!

This guy makes me uncomfortable in ways I can't adequately articulate.

I can!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's supposed to be "kooky old herbalist" but the articulated giggles definitely make things seem more sinister.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If we had named Olivia Elena, this is where I'd use the 'last year's model' line from Uncharted 2. But now that we're here, I don't know if it's that appropriate.

These scenes are viewable later but require backtracking. I agree it's best to do them now.

Some odds and ends- Bowser also charges 3000 gold to join your gang here. I'm not sure if he can be found again at the tavern should he leave. You can always hike back to Narshe should you want to change your party and pick up gear other people have.

Looking forward to Jidoor, my favorite town in the game.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Man, I forgot about getting the coin flip scene. That's rather important. Crap, I guess these four are the best choice for this whole sequence.

Leavemywife posted:

...How long have you been there, Remain?

:allears:

I've always loved these lines, too. Just two brothers goofing off with each other.

quote:

: A year went by... When I finally returned, I found out that Rachel had been killed in an Imperial attack. Her memory had returned just before she died. The last thing she said was...my name. I never should have left her side. I... I failed her...

And this whole sequence of events is why Nathan has his rather creepy obsession with immediately jumping to Terra and Olivia's defense. Dude's got enough issues for a subscription.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kevos Setzer posted:

And this whole sequence of events is why Nathan has his rather creepy obsession with immediately jumping to Terra and Olivia's defense. Dude's got enough issues for a subscription.

And Remain going "not again" when he showed up with Olivia, so he's probably already done it a couple times before Terra.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never found Locke Nathan to be especially weird or creepy really. I mean, if these things were going on in real life then sure, it'd absolutely be weird, but for mid 90s jrpg character motivations, it's maybe slightly weirder than average, but only slightly. To me it's a lot like that little girl in Figaro. I can certainly see how it could come off as creepy, but I doubt that was their intentions. He's just a jrpg character with a tragic backstory to motivate his obsessive behavior.

Also I forgot about all these scenes too, so I'm glad my vote for the party didn't win.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Team LORN really is the best team for the next few sections, otherwise you'd miss out on story (which you admittedly could get later) and some neat details (which you can't, cuz they're gone if you miss them). It also helps that they're quite frankly your best party right now - not counting rage min/maxing (but definitely more efficient).

I never really found Locke creepy either. It's natural to have issues letting go of loved ones. It's sad (not pathetic sad, but :cry:), not creepy.

The old man on the other hand? Yeah, he's a bit...off. But then Mad Scientists are SUPPOSED to be off.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

counterfeitsaint posted:

To me it's a lot like that little girl in Figaro.

What the non-Priestess woman in that room says about Edgar in the Japanese script makes it creepier, actually. Edgar'll perv on anyone female, regardless of age. He even hit on the High Priestess (and got slapped for it, IIRC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I have nothing to add to this conversation but I'm definitely listening to the appropriate track for the occasion. Does that debut now or later on?
Dammit, I'm all out of beer and I want to drink more now.

• Locked thread