Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

redbackground posted:

Not quite, but came across it while searching:

Thor's hammer is magical, so it should be wrecking Supes' poo poo.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Who What Now posted:

Thor's hammer is magical, so it should be wrecking Supes' poo poo.

But if he be worthy, he'd be able to lift it without getting wrecked. Thor should make sure he hits him somewhere superman can't grab the hammer and it'd probably wreck him up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Isn't Thor's hammer magic, ie one of those few things that Superman is sorta weak to?

Superman's weakness to magic isn't like Kryptonite. It is "he isn't immune to magic in the way he would be to anything else" so he can be brainwashed/shape-changed/whatever. He would still have super strength/ect when confronted with something magical. It is why the big iconic Captain Marvel vs Superman thing is Marvel hitting him with lightning. Marvel is entirely magic but that doesn't mean his punches instantly knock Superman out because Superman is still stronger and more durable than the average dude.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Not stronger than me. But I work out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

redbackground posted:

Just a shame they had to do this stuff during the terrible, terrible 90s period.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

Just a shame they had to do this stuff during the terrible, terrible 90s period.

JLA/Avengers was in 2003-4.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

redbackground posted:

Yeesh. I want to believe I didn't completely confabulate it. Is this also the one where Captain America and Batman fight only by looking at each other for a while, then agreeing who would win? :(

e: I am shamed

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 13, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

prefect posted:

JLA/Avengers was in 2003-4.

Oh, I was assuming it was in the same era as wifebeater shirt Hulk, bizarre armor Thor, and that weird new Spider-Man outfit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeesh. I want to believe I didn't completely confabulate it. Is this also the one where Captain America and Batman fight only by looking at each other for a while, then agreeing who would win? :(

Yes, that's it. I did really like that they said "this is bullshit; somebody is loving with us" and didn't get into the obligatory fight.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Wifebeater Shirt Professor Hulk was awesome. That was during the PAD era. But the rest I agree with (particularly Spidey being Ben Reilly... and matched up with Superboy?). Yeah, the Marvel vs. DC series with the reader voting on outcomes of fights was terrible. Wolverine beat Lobo and Storm beat Wonder Woman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm still mad that young Cyclops got poached before him and x23 could really hook up and weird everyone out, but her and Warren was a nice consolation prize.

Why do you view this teenage girl's sex life as a tool to weird people out.

ImpAtom posted:

Superman's weakness to magic isn't like Kryptonite. It is "he isn't immune to magic in the way he would be to anything else" so he can be brainwashed/shape-changed/whatever. He would still have super strength/ect when confronted with something magical. It is why the big iconic Captain Marvel vs Superman thing is Marvel hitting him with lightning. Marvel is entirely magic but that doesn't mean his punches instantly knock Superman out because Superman is still stronger and more durable than the average dude.

A lot of writers do treat it like Kryptonite. Like didn't a regular vampire bite his neck one time because vampires are magic? And aren't there a bunch of times where he's like "Oh no, this is MAGICAL fire, it burns!"

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red posted:

It's a real shame that everyone mistakes JLA/Avengers for the awful 90s Marvel vs. DC crossover.

The former is:

The latter is:

Very much not equivalent. And these images weren't cherry-picked either. Google each title and see what comes up.

Lurdiak posted:

Why do you view this teenage girl's sex life as a tool to weird people out.

Don't be dense.

It's the novelty factor of seeing that without the baggage of Jean, Cyclops and girl-Wolverine would totally want to bang and having all the old X-Men get really grossed out by it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But there is a ton of baggage there, which Bendis had to give Laura amnesia to sidestep. And she isn't girl-wolverine, she's her own person. It just seems really creepy to root for that pairing, to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Congratulations. I thought it was a funny meta joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of writers do treat it like Kryptonite. Like didn't a regular vampire bite his neck one time because vampires are magic? And aren't there a bunch of times where he's like "Oh no, this is MAGICAL fire, it burns!"

He doesn't have additional protection from magic the way he does anything else. Wonder Woman's magic sword can cut him because it's a powerful magic weapon and can cut through the hides of monsters and poo poo, and vampire teeth tend to be allowed to bite through anything unless it's funny for them to fail. Likewise being set on magic fire sucks for him but he's still more resistant to it than a natural person and still super-strong and super fast and whatever.

I'm sure there's some writer out there who had Superman go "A m-m-magic sword! My powers... draining..." or something but generally it's "not immunity to magic" as opposed to "vulnerable to magic." To put it in RPG terms the dude resists everything but Kryptonite which is Super Effective and magic which does normal damage.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Magic fire burns him because normal fire would burn a normal dude no matter how big and strong they are. It makes sense to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Superman can resist Thor's hammer because in JLA/Avengers it's well-established that Chaos Magick is much stronger in the DCU (it super-charges Wanda) and it's noted multiple times that many artifacts that work in one universe do not work in the other, thus it stands to reason that Thor's Hammer does not have the magical "oomph" needed to really crush Superman's skull in

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now explain this one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man was JLA/Avengers run was so good. Busiek and Perez were probably the perfect choice to helm the project and you can tell they just had a ball doing it. :allears:.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In the Marvel universe Wanda is only capable of literally rewriting reality, while in the DC universe she can slightly harm a starfish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Now explain this one.

Venom is powered by something stronger than magic: Popularity Polls

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

In the Marvel universe Wanda is only capable of literally rewriting reality, while in the DC universe she can slightly harm a starfish.

That was Starro invading the Marvel U. In the DCU she stuns the entire JLA at once.

Lurdiak posted:

Now explain this one.

Sometimes writers suck and we all have to deal with it.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Vampires can't bite Superman, it causes them to explode. His cells are solar power batteries.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Supes shoulda brought Ben Grimm.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

Vampires can't bite Superman, it causes them to explode. His cells are solar power batteries.

Technically, they can totally bite him. It's just a bad idea.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Bravo posted:

Supes shoulda brought Ben Grimm.

If I remember right Ben shows up for a page or so to drop something off and Cap tells Batman not to talk poo poo about the big rock monster because he's a good dude.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

If I remember right Ben shows up for a page or so to drop something off and Cap tells Batman not to talk poo poo about the big rock monster because he's a good dude.

Sorry, I was trying to make an oblique reference to this:

:v:

(And yes, I know it's technically carnage, not venom, but whatever.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Superman can resist Thor's hammer because in JLA/Avengers it's well-established that Chaos Magick is much stronger in the DCU (it super-charges Wanda) and it's noted multiple times that many artifacts that work in one universe do not work in the other, thus it stands to reason that Thor's Hammer does not have the magical "oomph" needed to really crush Superman's skull in

Incidentally, was that where they establish that Infinity Gauntlets don't work outside their home universe?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Endless Mike posted:

Incidentally, was that where they establish that Infinity Gauntlets don't work outside their home universe?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mind the walrus posted:

This isn't a Marvel Letters Column, stop trying to win a No-Prize!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
No-Prizes were a thing, right? Like an actual physical thing, right? Some sort of empty envelope or something?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not originally, but Lee started sending out empty envelopes when people complained their No Prize hadn't arrived.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Marvel No-Prize:

And the short-lived DC Baldy:

(Which was a postcard rather than an empty envelope)

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Monaghan posted:

what superman didn't know is that Spider man is a master of hokuto no ken.

Supes is already dead.

the martial art is called hokuto shinken, you uncultured swine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah the Buseik/Perez JLA/Avengers was great, pretty much everything Buseik was doing at the time was gold (I loved Avengers Forever).

As for the Supers/Captain Marvel thing, I remember there is an issue where Marvel decks Superman with one punch and the guy with him is really impressed, and Marvel notes,"Well yeah, I sucker punched him! If he'd been ready for it I never could have taken him down like that."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah the Buseik/Perez JLA/Avengers was great, pretty much everything Buseik was doing at the time was gold (I loved Avengers Forever).

As for the Supers/Captain Marvel thing, I remember there is an issue where Marvel decks Superman with one punch and the guy with him is really impressed, and Marvel notes,"Well yeah, I sucker punched him! If he'd been ready for it I never could have taken him down like that."

That was during Morrison's JLA run. I remember it was actually two punches, because after the first one Supes has a great "what the hell?" expression while he's reeling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I love that sequence.

:allears:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Now explain this one.

Real excuse DC used: It was just after Final Night and Superman's powers were at a low level/not working properly.

Excuse I saw some guy use on the Internet once: Punching Venom is basically like punching a guy wearing suit made of pillows.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Venom looks so weird drawn like a normal person. Did the artist not know what Venom usually looks like?

I mean Christ that looks almost like Spiderman 3's Venom, and that's not really a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

John Dyne posted:

Venom looks so weird drawn like a normal person. Did the artist not know what Venom usually looks like?

I mean Christ that looks almost like Spiderman 3's Venom, and that's not really a good thing.

I liked Return of Venom where the artist made his mouth bigger every issue until he basically looked like a crocodile.