Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Has anyone gotten the Zvezda KV-1 1941? I'm curious if it uses the same hull as the 1940 and KV-2, with the low detail on the front panel, or if it's got the applique tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

*Goebbels :eng101:

poo poo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've been researching the various units for my Bolt Action dudes and it seems there's apparently no Chinese-Americans in the Armored Rifle battalions I'm looking at. But I've decided to take a little creative license. Also it turns out that the Royal Marine Commandos actually teamed up with the Canadians in the Scheldt Campaign! :britain::respek::canada:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

secretly a baby posted:

A couple of shots from our test game of CoC this Saturday. We're going to play Operation Martlet and then Scottish Corridor afterwards.

This terrain is loving incredible, A+ work.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Y'all got me itching to take up 6mm Cold War era. So many little tanks!

Is scaled up Team Yankee the rule set of choice for tiny A-10 Warthogs? Cold War Commander looks fun but seems to be in limbo until some time vaguely next year. Any others along those lines I should look at? Lighter sort of rules that don't require armor thickness tables or a referee.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Y'all got me itching to take up 6mm Cold War era. So many little tanks!

Is scaled up Team Yankee the rule set of choice for tiny A-10 Warthogs? Cold War Commander looks fun but seems to be in limbo until some time vaguely next year. Any others along those lines I should look at? Lighter sort of rules that don't require armor thickness tables or a referee.

Team Yankee is easy to learn and retain that knowledge. For example, I can play a more complex wargame with the rules open and readily available but god help me if I try to play off the top of my head whereas TY I can just...play

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

xutech posted:

Thanks for the link, but I mean is there common wisdom about making army building choices? I'm a bit overwhelmed and even with 1500 points as a guide I don't get all the stuff I want. Veterans seem to be great but then my experimental lists look a little scarce.

Four or five squads of dudes, 8-10 per squad. One tank. One lieutenant. Weapons teams to make up points, I always try to put in a mortar and sniper.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I thought CWC was released years ago!

Do what true men do: 3mm and FFoT

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

JcDent posted:

I thought CWC was released years ago!

Do what true men do: 3mm and FFoT

I am not a true man.

muggins posted:

Four or five squads of dudes, 8-10 per squad. One tank. One lieutenant. Weapons teams to make up points, I always try to put in a mortar and sniper.

Why the mortar. In the few games i've played of BA the mortar team just fires upon the other mortar team until one hits, usually turn 4, or it gets wasted by a marauding infantry squad that's made it over the board.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

muggins posted:

interesting, thanks - from the battle reports I've watched snipers are well loved.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
In all of the games of BA I've played so far, I'm really not impressed with mortars. Sure, they're iconic, and when they hit, they can hit hard, but over the course of a game, I'm convinced that a squad of infantry of equivalent points will do just as much damage as well as be mobile enough to capture points and be able to respond to other threats.

Snipers are ok and can be VERY effective some games. Even when they're not, they make your opponent think twice about placement/movement for officers and weapon teams.

That being said, anyone have any luck with light mortars? I'll be taking one in a Canadian platoon I'm building (mostly for the sake of historical accuracy), but I'm not expecting much beyond some mobile smoke.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Was going to ask about the R20 CoC game again but would it be best to have a game room for that? I'm free evenings all week now.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Enentol posted:

In all of the games of BA I've played so far, I'm really not impressed with mortars.
I don't know how BA handles them, but in Chain of Command mortars are nasty. Light mortars don't usually do a whole lot of damage, but are great for laying down a smoke screen. But good gods, a mortar barrage is brutal. It tends not to inflict a huge number of casualties, but completely blocks LOS and pins any infantry in an 18" x 18" square. This is pretty accurate historically in that by far the most important effect of a mortar barrage was to keep the enemies' heads down to allow you to maneuver.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

Was going to ask about the R20 CoC game again but would it be best to have a game room for that? I'm free evenings all week now.
Oooh, yeah, how do we do this?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Enentol posted:

In all of the games of BA I've played so far, I'm really not impressed with mortars. Sure, they're iconic, and when they hit, they can hit hard, but over the course of a game, I'm convinced that a squad of infantry of equivalent points will do just as much damage as well as be mobile enough to capture points and be able to respond to other threats.

Snipers are ok and can be VERY effective some games. Even when they're not, they make your opponent think twice about placement/movement for officers and weapon teams.

That being said, anyone have any luck with light mortars? I'll be taking one in a Canadian platoon I'm building (mostly for the sake of historical accuracy), but I'm not expecting much beyond some mobile smoke.

In my experience mortars are best used to annoy weapon teams that can't move and shoot. For instance, if the enemy has an AT gun or machine gun team in a good spot that's going to cause you trouble I usually target those with the mortar. Either they stay put and sooner-or-later take the mortar hit, or you force them to move to avoid it, thus denying them the ability to fire with that team.

Light mortars I haven't tried yet I'm building a Japanese platoon using historical guidelines and one squad is supposed to have three knee/light mortars. So theoretically that squad should be able to rain down 3 mortar shells and a half dozen rifle shots every turn which could be very effective if they manage to range-in quickly.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ilor posted:

Oooh, yeah, how do we do this?

I have very little experience with SA's game room, unfortunately, but if you mean R20 then we can jump in and get started with the game's chat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm trapped computerless in inlaw he'll, but if people can find good images for the tokens, I should be able to sort things Friday.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

When I did flames I did appropriately sized allied stars, balkenkreuz, etc; are those still good or were you hoping for prettier?

I've seen the board, btw, looks ace :) Do you have a grass brush or something?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any experience with playing 2v2 battles in CoC? Do the rules hold up or does it become unbalanced?

liljonas you probably considered this during your campaign. We are 4 guys wanting to play a couple of the official pint-sized campaigns and thought we'd just have a platoon each on the table, but I wonder if that will gently caress up the campaign structure or something.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Flippycunt posted:

In my experience mortars are best used to annoy weapon teams that can't move and shoot. For instance, if the enemy has an AT gun or machine gun team in a good spot that's going to cause you trouble I usually target those with the mortar. Either they stay put and sooner-or-later take the mortar hit, or you force them to move to avoid it, thus denying them the ability to fire with that team.

Light mortars I haven't tried yet I'm building a Japanese platoon using historical guidelines and one squad is supposed to have three knee/light mortars. So theoretically that squad should be able to rain down 3 mortar shells and a half dozen rifle shots every turn which could be very effective if they manage to range-in quickly.

Yeah that's pretty straight on. You want to be laying smoke or aiming at stuff that doesn't want to move. Objective grabbers, houses etc. Sometimes you just use your last dice of the turn on a unit then the first of the next trying to get that 5 up.

I almost always use a mortar. First turn 6s are amazing hehe

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

secretly a baby posted:

Does anyone have any experience with playing 2v2 battles in CoC? Do the rules hold up or does it become unbalanced?

liljonas you probably considered this during your campaign. We are 4 guys wanting to play a couple of the official pint-sized campaigns and thought we'd just have a platoon each on the table, but I wonder if that will gently caress up the campaign structure or something.

TFL actually have a multiple-players-per-side official hack, Big Chain of Command. It calls for an extra patrol marker and jump off point per extra platoon, and a little bit of fiddling with force morale, but basically it just says to use the RAW and a slightly larger table and it'll work fine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

also there are tank platoons.

CoC has amazingly bullshit penetration mechanics, though. If you want the experience of firing a 37mm gun and managing to clip the hull MG port, killing the driver and prompting the crew to bail out, CoC will satisfy you :v:

On the plus side it does make it feel like there's no pointless matchups, whereas in FoW you can spend turns just sitting waiting for someone to assault if you don't have the right tanks/guns on the field.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

spectralent posted:

also there are tank platoons.

CoC has amazingly bullshit penetration mechanics, though. If you want the experience of firing a 37mm gun and managing to clip the hull MG port, killing the driver and prompting the crew to bail out, CoC will satisfy you :v:

Is there like a table you roll on, how does this even work?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flippycunt posted:

Is there like a table you roll on, how does this even work?

It's opposed dice pools. Like, realistically, if you've got a Stuart staring down a Panther, nothing's going to happen*, but if the chips are down you might roll three fives and they don't get any saves and lo and behold, the shell's wedged in the turret ring and the crew are going for the hatches.

*nothing except the stuart's fiery and inevitable death if it doesn't reverse right on out of nopeville, anyway.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 14, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

secretly a baby posted:

The rules hold up extremely well. Download the "Big Chain of Command" supplement (for free) from the TFL website, it covers everything you'll need to know. It also gives you the tools to do Armored Platoons as well as Infantry Platoons. Our Kasserine Pass campaign was designed to support multiple platoons (from differing nations) on each side. So far we've just played the first mission with 1 each (despondent Italians vs green Americans - it was comedy gold), but the next one will likely see the Germans and either the Brits or the French entering the fray as well.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I'm slowly making my way through the Miniatures Painting thread, but I had a question and I'm not sure if I will find the answer. Do you guys have any tips/tricks for making weapon slings? I'd like to add some to my models before I prime them.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Thin (narrow) strips of paper or lightweight cardstock work.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks. The notes have been shared with the rest of the players. Next game will be this weekend. I'll take some more photos

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
On my quest to get into miniature gaming I found a guy with some 15mm german stuff. What would be good to pick out of the following list for a small force to start on ? The letters in the ID appear to be the company as the PSC came up Plastic Soldier Company. I don't have a specific system in mind yet.

GE060 Panther D
GE145 Hummel
GE811 SS PzGren Command (blister came open, no bases)
GE431 Opel Blitz 3-ton trucks (2)
GE726 Pioneer Platoon
GE490 Opel kf269 Radio truck
GE042 Panzer IV F1 or F2 (short or long 75mm) x3
GE010 Panzer IIc (early)
GE728 Tank Hunters
GE003 PzBefehlswgn (2)
PSC Late War German Inf Company
GBX78 Self-Propelled AA Gun Plt (88mm Flak on armored halftrack x3)
GE559 HG 15cm Sig33 guns
GBX83 StuG platoon (plastic x5)
GE023 Pz38t E/F Uparmored (2)
GE033 PzIIIJ

If I can just spend 20-30ish on a Starter Set Ill just do that. Having trouble finding US suppliers and a good line besides Flames of War.

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 14, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

goodness posted:

On my quest to get into miniature gaming I found a guy with some 15mm german stuff. What would be good to pick out of the following list for a small force to start on ? The letters in the ID appear to be the company as the PSC came up Plastic Soldier Company. I don't have a specific system in mind yet.

GE060 Panther D
GE145 Hummel
GE811 SS PzGren Command (blister came open, no bases)
GE431 Opel Blitz 3-ton trucks (2)
GE726 Pioneer Platoon
GE490 Opel kf269 Radio truck
GE042 Panzer IV F1 or F2 (short or long 75mm) x3
GE010 Panzer IIc (early)
GE728 Tank Hunters
GE003 PzBefehlswgn (2)
PSC Late War German Inf Company
GBX78 Self-Propelled AA Gun Plt (88mm Flak on armored halftrack x3)
GE559 HG 15cm Sig33 guns
GBX83 StuG platoon (plastic x5)
GE023 Pz38t E/F Uparmored (2)
GE033 PzIIIJ

If I can just spend 20-30ish on a Starter Set Ill just do that. Having trouble finding US suppliers and a good line besides Flames of War.

The letters are actually the official Flames of War project code. If you don't mind splitting it with someone perhaps you could look for a box of Open Fire, the actual starter set (and the site should give you some more information. They've also put out starter armies, although i believe the jury is still out on how good they are for the cost. The German one is called Rommel's Wolves, I believe. Plastic Soldier Company is pretty good at what they do, but their Late War German Infantry is kind of an early attempt.

Another line for tanks on a budget is Zvezda, who do snapfit tanks. They're not as detailed as other companies, but they are very cheap and still of a good quality. They're even releasing King Tigers and Panthers soon

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Big Chain of Command is ok, but we found that we've done some alterations to suit our playing group, especially for campaigns. I'm not even sure which of these are house rules, as we've added so much on top of the core rules that it gets a bit blurred to me.

First of all, don't play a panzer platoon against a normal platoon. Just don't. If you want to field lots of panzers, have one player on each side play a panzer platoon. It could be down to us playing 1941, where tanks are kings, but we find that games with tanks often boils down to the side that has surviving tanks winning, as the infantry can't do anything about it. Last 4 player game saw the Soviets simply retreating when our tanks blew out one of the T-34s, leaving the other one alone agains several tanks. This is probably very different in later periods, with PIATS and panzerfausts and stuff.

Secondly, and I think most of these are in the Big CoC book, but decide on who is leading each side. We've decided that only that player can get the turn end result on tripple sixes. Others treat their tripples as normal doubles. Only the leader can use CoC dice to force a turn end. However, any player can use a CoC die to take over the role of the leader. Also, a new leader will be chosen if one player's platoon retreats. We've also decided that you can only roll one double phase, and a second double 6 will turn into 5s instead, adding to your CoC dice collection.

CoCs main fault is that all the scenarios except patrol are quite badly designed. It's very obvious that CoC was built to shine though the patrol scenario, and all the rest are kind of slapped on. So we've been tinkering with them, especially the attack/defend scenario, where we have added turn limit victory conditions for the defender. That makes it important WHO is the leader of each side. This gets more important when you play a six player game.

I'm trying to get the group to sit down and record these house rules, as they are getting quite extensive and cover a lot of aspects of the game by now. And that's without including our own version of the At the Sharp End campaign rules!

Our first campaign was some 5-6 battles, but the Stalino campaign that we ended last night was up to some 20 games, including several 4 and 6 player battles. But our experiences are very coloured by us playing 1941, as I sincerely believe that a lot of the balancing in the game was done by playtesting with 1944 and 1945 platoons.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
If people want tank heavy large games why not try I Ain't Been Shot Mum 3? Easily as satisfying and interesting a game as CoC. Plus you will grasp the whole concept of the command and control mechanics if you know CoC.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I say, I've only gone and painted a bloody rotten officer what!

I know I said I was painting Desert Rats, but the fiddly assemblage of tiny plastic men was driving me insane, so instead here's a metal man in a ridiculous hat.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

That guy looks awesome.

In my quest for modern rules I found Fireteam by Rory Crabb. I picked it up on drive thru wargame or whatever for 8 bux. I think he had a beta out on the web

here
I'd be interested to here what you dudes think of it. It's somewhat simple, which is nice. I am going to email him some questions to see if I can get some thoughts.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

Big Chain of Command is ok, but we found that we've done some alterations to suit our playing group, especially for campaigns. I'm not even sure which of these are house rules, as we've added so much on top of the core rules that it gets a bit blurred to me.

First of all, don't play a panzer platoon against a normal platoon. Just don't. If you want to field lots of panzers, have one player on each side play a panzer platoon. It could be down to us playing 1941, where tanks are kings, but we find that games with tanks often boils down to the side that has surviving tanks winning, as the infantry can't do anything about it. Last 4 player game saw the Soviets simply retreating when our tanks blew out one of the T-34s, leaving the other one alone agains several tanks. This is probably very different in later periods, with PIATS and panzerfausts and stuff.

Secondly, and I think most of these are in the Big CoC book, but decide on who is leading each side. We've decided that only that player can get the turn end result on tripple sixes. Others treat their tripples as normal doubles. Only the leader can use CoC dice to force a turn end. However, any player can use a CoC die to take over the role of the leader. Also, a new leader will be chosen if one player's platoon retreats. We've also decided that you can only roll one double phase, and a second double 6 will turn into 5s instead, adding to your CoC dice collection.

CoCs main fault is that all the scenarios except patrol are quite badly designed. It's very obvious that CoC was built to shine though the patrol scenario, and all the rest are kind of slapped on. So we've been tinkering with them, especially the attack/defend scenario, where we have added turn limit victory conditions for the defender. That makes it important WHO is the leader of each side. This gets more important when you play a six player game.

I'm trying to get the group to sit down and record these house rules, as they are getting quite extensive and cover a lot of aspects of the game by now. And that's without including our own version of the At the Sharp End campaign rules!

Our first campaign was some 5-6 battles, but the Stalino campaign that we ended last night was up to some 20 games, including several 4 and 6 player battles. But our experiences are very coloured by us playing 1941, as I sincerely believe that a lot of the balancing in the game was done by playtesting with 1944 and 1945 platoons.

I feel like the tank war thing might be pretty specifically EW east front. West front everyone has some integrated AT, even in early war, and tanks are kind of poo poo so they're a lot easier to kill even just with MG orders, and yeah LW everything can kill everything.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Endman posted:

I say, I've only gone and painted a bloody rotten officer what!

I know I said I was painting Desert Rats, but the fiddly assemblage of tiny plastic men was driving me insane, so instead here's a metal man in a ridiculous hat.

This is awesome. For some reason I want to call him Nigel.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

I feel like the tank war thing might be pretty specifically EW east front. West front everyone has some integrated AT, even in early war, and tanks are kind of poo poo so they're a lot easier to kill even just with MG orders, and yeah LW everything can kill everything.

This is what worries us a bit, that the adjustments we are making will work horribly once we start next campaign, which will probably either be North Africa or Sicily. East Front during Autumn 1941 is... weird, I've several times been facing KV-1 tanks with just a 37mm gun or two, and that is a very special feeling.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

spectralent posted:

It's opposed dice pools. Like, realistically, if you've got a Stuart staring down a Panther, nothing's going to happen*, but if the chips are down you might roll three fives and they don't get any saves and lo and behold, the shell's wedged in the turret ring and the crew are going for the hatches.

*nothing except the stuart's fiery and inevitable death if it doesn't reverse right on out of nopeville, anyway.

To be fair, the Stuart can absolutely penetrate the Panther's side and rear armor. But its only chance in a realistic head-on-head engagement is to hope the Panther crew is green enough to panic after a hit. Does CoC take crew experience into account with its opposed dice pools?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

golden bubble posted:

To be fair, the Stuart can absolutely penetrate the Panther's side and rear armor. But its only chance in a realistic head-on-head engagement is to hope the Panther crew is green enough to panic after a hit. Does CoC take crew experience into account with its opposed dice pools?

Kinda; aces add extra penetration dice, but mostly no.

And I mean the Stuart's rolling 5 dice against 11 for the Panther, so when I say it's implausible it's pretty implausible. But you might get some lucky dice one day that leads to the tiddly shell pinging off the mantlet and through the roof or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Got my BA2 shipping notice so should have that Friday.