Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Case 5 Trial 1 It feels weird having Phoenix on the right. I'm so used to having his shocked animations being a bad thing, but it means I'm doing good?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Having finished: This is legitimately one of the best Ace Attorney games, I'm very happy about it!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Pick posted:

Having finished: This is legitimately one of the best Ace Attorney games, I'm very happy about it!

Actually, going by twitter, it is in fact a poo poo game with bad names that doesn't hold a candle to the greatness that is Apollo Justice.

I loving hate this fanbase sometimes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kay Kessler posted:

Actually, going by twitter, it is in fact a poo poo game with bad names that doesn't hold a candle to the greatness that is Apollo Justice.

some people just have really bad opinions about ace attorney. and while i respect those peoples' skill in drawing webcomics, that doesn't make their opinions about ace attorney any less bad

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
gonna shout it for the world: if you don't like the name pees'lubn andistan'dhin...

then i don't like you!!!!!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Kay Kessler posted:

I don't know what crazy rear end universe twitter you have but even if I don't think it's as bad as some people claim I still have to peg it as last on the list and everybody I've seen says the same. :v:

My theory is that this is the second in a new trilogy. Or a Quadrilogy if you count AJ.

(Beaten Game Spoilers)

There's no way they'd leave this the final one especially with some things still being open ended and who shows up during the credits. And if she dies I will be VERY CROSS! Though I will say that this group has been really good at making previous open ended things managing to be super duper important somehow. Like I totally did not expect Thalassa Gramarye's first husband, who wasn't extrapolated on that much, being used in this way. That was fantastic and I was actually super happy I played through Apollo Justice.

There's a reason I call this Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 6: Apollo Justice Ace Attorney 3: Spirit of Justice: The Reckoning!

Also case 4 might be my favorite side case and Uendo was great. Come fight me.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 14, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hopeandjoy posted:

Case 5 Day 2, late investigation: Have we learned nothing from Von Karma? Why am I showing the queen the photo? I going to lose it! Or all my evidence!

Ugh!

MY EXACT THOUGHTS

I was sitting there contemplating life for a good minute as I presented evidence to this bitch and expecting her to just yank it all outta my hands.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Kay Kessler posted:

You mean Phoenix Wright 4, introducing side character Apollo Justice?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GOD THIS TRIAL IS THE HYPEST poo poo

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This game honestly has some of the best name puns in the series, I'd say. The best has to be (Case 5 Trial Day 2 spoilers) Inga's true name: Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III , though I just about died after seeing pees'lubn andistan'dhin

I beat the game yesterday, and it owns a whole lot. It's easily one of the best games in the series. Only real issue I have, is with Case 4. Like, I rather liked it, and it fits really well in the game's flow and the themes of the game, but I do wish there was a bit more to it than just the trial, if only just to see more interaction between Athena and Blackwell.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

alcharagia posted:

some people just have really bad opinions about ace attorney. and while i respect those peoples' skill in drawing webcomics, that doesn't make their opinions about ace attorney any less bad

:staredog:

can't wait til they get to (case 5) Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dad Jokes posted:

:staredog:

can't wait til they get to (case 5) Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III

:stare:

Well that is one guy I personally wouldn't be friends with.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

I can see why some (and, let's just say the name, Gigi) think that, because the franchise's whole feel has obviously changed since 4, courtesy of the new writing team. Even though they've gotten way better it's still not the same, and if that's what you're looking for you're not gonna get it.

It's still a crazy opinion though. And also, you live in a twitter bubble, that's not the consensus at all.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Oh, another thing I feel like I've got to gush about. This game did a good job of feeling longer without no case going to day 3.

Probably the only knock I'd give is that the dusting mechanic in this game feels the worst compared to every other time it showed up. But, yeah, I loved the hell out of Spirit of Justice and would put it in my top 3. And I have no idea how to rank my top 3. :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I can see why some (and, let's just say the name, Gigi) think that, because the franchise's whole feel has obviously changed since 4, courtesy of the new writing team. Even though they've gotten way better it's still not the same, and if that's what you're looking for you're not gonna get it.

It's still a crazy opinion though. And also, you live in a twitter bubble, that's not the consensus at all.

It wasn't her I was referring to (I didn't even know she still talked about AA anymore, she's sworn off the series like 3 times already), just a couple of people I've seen.

But yes, I'm aware that's not the consensus.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

alcharagia posted:

lol, even though I haven't checked twitter in like two years, as soon as you bring up webcomics I can make a guess about who you are talking about wrt ace attorney opinions

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Amppelix posted:

I can see why some (and, let's just say the name, Gigi)

booya

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

reminder for case 5

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 5 day one: Case 2 and just the first day of Case 5 with nothing else are both better finales for AA4 than the finale of AA4.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Case 4:

There should have been an anime cutscene of Taka buying the sweet buns.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Wow that game was amazing satisfying. I am still grinning, and I finished the credits at least 20 minutes ago.

Worth every hour.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
hi I just got to case 5's 2nd day of the trial and what the gently caress

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
no seriously what the gently caress

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

hi I just got to case 5's 2nd day of the trial and what the gently caress

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

This game is so loving good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Amppelix posted:

Gigi wrote off the entirety of DD because Newman wasn't trans like she hoped. I don't really respect her opinion on the series and I don't think you should either.

Still fun to enjoy her comics though if you like them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I beat the game. It was very good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gigi wrote off the entirety of DD because Newman wasn't trans like she hoped. I don't really respect her opinion on the series and I don't think you should either.

I don't respect it much, but I am also quite sure the scenario you're describing did in fact not happen.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FInished Case 3. Felt like the longest case in the series, but I don't think it actually is

Datz Are'bal owns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Apollo Justice does have some good qualities to it that the games before had, that the games before didn't have, and that the games after will likely never have. It's also very unique in the series for it's atmosphere, and that's in no small part thanks to the brilliant music and the great look of the game.

I can legitimately see the tonal differences between the first 4 and the later 4 games being a problem for people, especially how -- speaking as somebody who liked both 5 (and especially 6) hamfisted and fanfiction-y the writing in the two games get compared to the older ones.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh yeah apollo justice looks and sounds absolutely fantastic

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Apollo Justice does have some good qualities to it that the games before had, that the games before didn't have, and that the games after will likely never have. It's also very unique in the series for it's atmosphere, and that's in no small part thanks to the brilliant music and the great look of the game.

I can legitimately see the tonal differences between the first 4 and the later 4 games being a problem for people, especially how -- speaking as somebody who liked both 5 (and especially 6) hamfisted and fanfiction-y the writing in the two games get compared to the older ones.

What do you mean by more fanfiction-y?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What do you mean by more fanfiction-y?

Not to speak for the guy who said it, but something I've noticed is that the more recent games are fond of suddenly making up history for existing characters, like Apollo's situation both in this game and with Clay, and Edgeworth with Dogen in AAI2.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

AlphaKretin posted:

Not to speak for the guy who said it, but something I've noticed is that the more recent games are fond of suddenly making up history for existing characters, like Apollo's situation both in this game and with Clay, and Edgeworth with Dogen in AAI2.
It's hard to say what counts as "suddenly", though. Basically all of Phoenix's backstory in 3 could be viewed as "sudden", since none of it existed or was relevant before. You could argue Apollo specifically has gotten a lot of backstory that feels tacked-on(and I'd agree), but I think that's because they didn't know where to go with him after 4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Amppelix posted:

I don't respect it much, but I am also quite sure the scenario you're describing did in fact not happen.

It did, she wrote a entire blogpost on it and frequently brings it up if asked.

Really though it's a can of worms that should probably be shoved in the corner.

E: Actual question, what's the fan favorite character of this game? I can't get enough of Datz. He's actually the best.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

To be fair for Apollo at least, dude legitimately had no history until DD. And even then the stuff revealed about him this game I thought fit surprisingly well with what we knew of his past in AJ. Although him being the adopted son of a revolutionary leader/husband-to-the-queen of a foreign country was kind of out there.

Though, in general DD and SoJ are way more over-dramatic and like ridiculous than the original games (not really a bad thing in my books). Which now that I think about it might have been what he meant by fanfictiony-y but I could still be wrong.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

It's hard to say what counts as "suddenly", though. Basically all of Phoenix's backstory in 3 could be viewed as "sudden", since none of it existed or was relevant before. You could argue Apollo specifically has gotten a lot of backstory that feels tacked-on(and I'd agree), but I think that's because they didn't know where to go with him after 4.

I agree with all this. There's no indication in the first or second game that Phoenix ever met Mia before he got a job working under her or that he once had a girlfriend (and it was terrible). The reason the additions to his backstory don't feel "fanfic-y" is that it's been 12 years (9 years, over here) since his backstory was expanded on. It was also only revealed 3 years (2 years for us) after Phoenix himself was introduced. It's now been normal for a long rear end time. Apollo's expanded backstory, meanwhile, is comparatively new and was not released until 6 years (for Clay) and 9 years (for Apollo's family minus his mom) after Apollo himself was introduced. Who Apollo "is" to most people is more established than who Phoenix "is" was at the time of TaT's release.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair for Apollo at least, dude legitimately had no history until DD. And even then the stuff revealed about him this game I thought fit surprisingly well with what we knew of his past in AJ. Although him being the adopted son of a revolutionary leader/husband-to-the-queen of a foreign country was kind of out there.

Though, in general DD and SoJ are way more over-dramatic and like ridiculous than the original games (not really a bad thing in my books). Which now that I think about it might have been what he meant by fanfictiony-y but I could still be wrong.

No, you hit the nail on the head there. And it works for me, but I can see it not working for other people.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Everything everyone's said is very fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You wouldn't expect Power Creep in a lawyer game but here we are.