Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still think that the biggest problem with windows phone is the garbage app store. Sure the Apple store and Play Store are filled with poo poo, but they also have every good app out there. Windows Phone gets stripped down versions of facebook, twitter or any other popular app (hell, even Whatsapp app, even greatly improved in the last year is still way behind). People want apps, loads of them and official ones as simple as that. The two years I've been using WP as my daily driver (now I only use my 925 as work phone as I ditched the 640XL), coworkers and family liked the interface, they liked how it ran (8.1) and that it was smooth on not so great hardware but they always had a question for me: why do you use it if you can't do banking or XXX when you just can do it with any android phone? It was hard and the argument about android being a security shithole is hard to pull as I've been an android user since 2010 and never ever had security issues. Sure, i had to deal with the godawful android gingerbread on my Galaxy S but that phone is still alive as alarm clock with android 4.4 and it may be replaced with a bigger alarm clock (640XL).

I switched back to android with an amazing phone that is the Huawei P9 and keep my 925 with another SIM as workphone and I'm an user that would love to use WP 24/7 but it feels that it is just Microsoft money dump. The 950 and 950XL were so drat expensive that 99% of the users just look to android for a flagship that has all they offer and more because they shipped with a really unstable WM10. What reminds me of (may be anecdotal but hey) a coworker that was on the same setup of Android for personal use and WP for work (920 then 1020 then 950) and he just had to sell the 950 because it was annoying and got an iPhone 5s with even better Microsoft apps.

I love glance, I love the interface, it's safer than android and needs less specs to run well (again, 8.1 since WM10 on the 925 was poo poo and not so smooth on the 640XL) but it loving feels like you're gimping yourself when it comes to have good apps. Sorry if my post sounds like a meltdown but there's frustration in it because it could be the best OS but it looks like it's the lowest priority for Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Except Intel is no longer making CPUs for phones.

Yup which is why I said likely 2+ years out. I'm guessing Intel or someone else will take another run at an x86 mobile focused SOC with builtin LTE, but that's not even on the horizon. Until someone (not MS) takes a serious try at that venture I don't think a Surface phone would be a serious value proposition better than Android.

But if that happens 2-4 years from now will anyone even care? At that point I think the Android/iOs duopoly will have hardened even more than now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stick100 posted:

But if that happens 2-4 years from now will anyone even care? At that point I think the Android/iOs duopoly will have hardened even more than now.

They wouldn't care now, so of course not in 2-4 years

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Basically if we get a Surface phone in October I'm staying, but if that event comes and goes I'll be connecting my headphones with a dongle by Christmas.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
It's part of their retrenchment plan. I think WM10 is too big of a part of UWP for them to abandon. They're relying on OEM partners to sell devices while they develop a single flagship product to showcase the power of Windows. It'll focused on businesses because they can differentiate themselves there, unlike the consumer market which is pretty well on lockdown for iOS and Android. I can guarantee that Intel cutting development on their mobile CPU left Microsoft without anything they could use. No doubt that caused a delay in the Surface Phone by a year or two. In the meantime, they'll work on maturing the software and eventually they may be able to regain some market share. I don't think they expected the few WP fans to abandon the platform as fast as they did, but that's what they get when they cancel a flagship and wait two years before releasing a buggy mess with an uninspired design. I think that a lot of developers are seeing the potential of UWP though, as there are as many big name apps releasing for the platform as there are abandoning it. Amazon killed their WP 8 app, only to release a UWP app within the month, for an example. CBS released a UWP app. I'm not saying WM10 is in great shape, but I think MS is looking out 3-5 years. Maybe in that time, we'll all switch back to WM10.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I just don't understand what you're seeing. Credible OEM partners aren't making Windows Phones anymore (Samsung, HTC, and LG have been traded in for HP and Alcatel, haha). They need more app developers to be making apps than abandoning it because they need to massively gain ground not just tread water. WP didn't succeed when it had legitimate benefits relative to 2010 and 2011 era iOS and Android, the largest non-Apple OEMs supporting it, and many many more potential first time smartphone buyers with an open mind. Why the hell is it going to be better in 3-5 years?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Microsoft haven't put some key iOS apps out in Canada and I can get their functionality on Windows Phone where I get a much better interface and PC integration. My app use is light at best and I have an iPad if I really need something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For people who've jumped ship to Android, what can Cortana actually do on that platform, because on iOS the answer seems to be not much outside of cross platform reminders and standard web searchy stuff.

On iOS it looks like you can access the native phone, messaging and calendar apps, but I hate the stock iOS mail and calendar apps and use Outlook instead, which Cortana can't hook into at all. Any hooks between Cortana and Outlook on Android? Trying to figure out what makes sense platform wise as a long term plan, and while I like the support model, stability and apps on the iOS side, not being all in on the Apple ecosystem kinda sucks, whereas Android seems potentially more open (notification integration with Windows 10, etc).

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
On Android things have been very disappointing. I'll make a more long term post soon but I'm basically tearing my hair out doing simple things like trying to manage contacts and keep Cortana useful and relevant with my desktop use. In a weird sort of way things are actually worse than when I was on Windows phone because despite having official MS apps like Outlook, Cortana, other MS services, they are far worse (for me) to use than they were on WM10. I think I'm past the adapting/learning curve too by now. It's like winning the lottery (apps) while simultaneously getting in a car accident and losing most of my limbs making everything more difficult.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 13, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh, another issue with switching: I want zero data in iCloud because Apple's off-device security is poo poo, but can I make phone calls if the numbers are only in Outlook? Contact management is another area where Windows and Blackberry are way ahead.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Shumagorath posted:

Oh, another issue with switching: I want zero data in iCloud because Apple's off-device security is poo poo, but can I make phone calls if the numbers are only in Outlook? Contact management is another area where Windows and Blackberry are way ahead.

Basically as far as I've been able to tell, you sync your outlook contacts over to the google contacts app. But it's a one way sync, if someone can somehow show me what I'm doing wrong that'd be amazing. But I think sadly that's just how it is. This will look overly detailed but I want to capture the incredulity I experienced when I went to do something I felt was really simple.

Scenario: Someone calls me and I want to save their number, so I long press and choose create new contact. This is a dumb telemarketer so I don't care about blocking the number. I want to create this in the outlook contacts of course because I only want to maintain one address book across all my devices. And it even gives me the option yay!

So I know fictitious Goon Test bro and might as well add his e-mail address at the same time. Wait why is there no e-mail field? Maybe if I click more fields? Nope. What if I instead choose to save to the Google account address book? Magically a ton more fields appear!

Okay whatever, I create it in the outlook address book and then go to send them a groupme room invite. Except no contact is found with that name?

So I'm thinking maybe it hasn't synced over to the google address book yet. Except it never does. So I start questioning whether or not I saved it. So I do a search inside of outlook people tab.

The contact is not there. So I go back to the google contacts app and there it is right there. If I choose edit it still says "Saving to myemailaddress:Outlook". So then I go play Overwatch with my son and jump on top of people as Winston to make me feel better.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah, both iOS and Android contacts are terrible. You can make calls to contact numbers directly out of the Outlook iOS app, but I don't believe you can edit contacts at all, you still have to use the native contacts app.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

I did this by signing into the default iOS mail app using my MS account, and only sync contacts. Then I use the MS Outlook app for actual mail. My contact list is fully populated from MS, and any edits I make on the phone are reflected in my MS account, and nothing is in Apple-land.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
After changing the keyboard my switch has been much better. I now use SwiftKey which auto detects the language I'm typing in, has good suggestions and appears more accurate to my fingers while typing.

I don't miss the speed of my lumia930 as IOS is blazing fast as well.

I used Cortana mostly for short commands but it failed pretty often due to not being able to deal with local names. Siri however understands everything. Did you know Siri is a dude here.

My contacts are a bit messy but nothing I can't solve, I just wish the social integration was more like Windows phone.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Word is there will be no Band 3 http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-expect-a-new-microsoft-band-device-this-year-or-maybe-ever/

If this reasoning is correct perhaps there's more to MS checking out of mobile hardware in favour of cross-platform software altogether.

EDIT: or perhaps more tellingly: there are no comments in the comment section.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well that sucks. I use mine every day and the music control is a great feature I won't get on a different wearable even if I manage to port all my workouts. Does the Health app even have a purpose without Band?

Edit: Holy poo poo to get a Fitbit that controls music I have to spend $100 more than Band 2 ever was and then another $1000 for the iPhone it works with and it doesn't even do programmed workouts.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Well that sucks. I use mine every day and the music control is a great feature I won't get on a different wearable even if I manage to port all my workouts. Does the Health app even have a purpose without Band?

Edit: Holy poo poo to get a Fitbit that controls music I have to spend $100 more than Band 2 ever was and then another $1000 for the iPhone it works with and it doesn't even do programmed workouts.

? The blaze is what you are talking about right? That's 50$ over what the band 2 originally was and fitbits work with wm8.1/wm10/ios/android.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whoops, for whatever reason I only looked at the Surge and Charge 2. Re-writing all my workouts will suck but at least that's a one-off... although FitStar doesn't seem to support writing your own?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 14, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Whoops, for whatever reason I only looked at the Surge and Charge 2. Re-writing all my workouts will suck but at least that's a one-off.

But what made you think they only worked with a 1,000$ iphone? :psyduck:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

But what made you think they only worked with a 1,000$ iphone? :psyduck:
The idea that a non-Microsoft device worked with Groove / Win10 Mobile music control was hard to absorb at this point, ok? I still can't tell if the thing will let me make a list of exercises and rest periods as without a smartwatch or a coach I tend to rest far too little. Band 2 is amazing at that and if the keyboard connected 100% of the time it would be nearly perfect.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 14, 2016

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Pipski posted:

Last time I tried it you had to sign out of one account and then sign back in with the other. With Tweetium (and most decent ones) you can just tap a button to switch between them. It's just less hassle.

This is no longer the case with the official app. On your profile page you press the account button and then press the account you want to switch to.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I used Cortana mostly for short commands but it failed pretty often due to not being able to deal with local names. Siri however understands everything. Did you know Siri is a dude here.
Siri can't pronounce my last name but Cortana can, I'm in the US but have a non-English name :shrug:

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

OldPueblo posted:

<outlook for android sucks poo poo>

oh holy god yes. I mean, when it works it works almost as well as outlook for WM, but when you step outside that zone of workiness mother of god

I have the similar shenanigans
* stupid contact garbage from above: if you fire up your old lumia and make changes on there it'll update quickly on both phones... I don't think two-way sync works right on android
* can't add or edit reoccurring events (I fire up the old 830 to do that)
* will corrupt my IMAP account settings: you have to remove and readd the account. if you do it wrong, it won't work because there's a copy of your settings on their server (???) and you need customer support to delete it on their end for you

I'd almost go back if I haven't sworn off phones over 4.75" and also WM10 is so inferior to WM8 in so many ways it makes me cry just using it

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

PlaneGuy posted:

WM10 is so inferior to WM8 in so many ways it makes me cry just using it

I'm just gonna keep riding this 640 train :toot:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Tanith posted:

I'm just gonna keep riding this 640 train :toot:

No don't. You don't realize how terrible it is until you're on a not poo poo phone :smith:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

No don't. You don't realize how terrible it is until you're on a not poo poo phone :smith:

lol new thread title right here :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Man I have no idea what you guys are on I went from a 920 to a two-months-after-release 950 and it was already an upgrade then.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was going to get the 650, and then I learned the 950 is half its original price and comes with a display dock. December cannot roll on fast enough.

Edit: On x86 phone chat, how close does Core M come to allowing that? I imagine battery life would still take a hit, but they're very low power compared to i3/5/7. My Core M work laptop runs at 800Mhz and performs better than it has any right to.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 15, 2016

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was going to get the 650, and then I learned the 950 is half its original price and comes with a display dock. December cannot roll on fast enough.

Edit: On x86 phone chat, how close does Core M come to allowing that? I imagine battery life would still take a hit, but they're very low power compared to i3/5/7. My Core M work laptop runs at 800Mhz and performs better than it has any right to.

There are no x86 chipsets with LTE/GSM/CDMA built in. This means you have to run two separate chips. This was the solution used in the very first days of 4G and it has a horrible battery life. Until someone makes an x86 chip with LTE then you'd like have at best 50% the battery life of a current gen Qualcomm/ARM solution.

When we get to ubiquitous VoLTE (I think that's Verizon only for now) and someone makes an x86 with LTE onboard and make a WinPo/Android x86 device that was comparable. Also keep in mind the Android OEMs are interested to see that happen as well since the single threaded performance of x86 generally compares well against ARM and single threaded performance is the bottleneck right now in the web/javascript world. Android is ready for x86 devices as it already has a few that currently run on x86 and like UWP they tend to compile their code on the fly.

http://wccftech.com/apple-iphone-7-benchmarks/

The iphone 7 is double the single core performance of any other phone in the world while only slightly ahead of other phones on multi core performance.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Chasiubao posted:

I still used a L900 until last July. :unsmith:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tanith posted:

I still used a L900 until last July. :unsmith:

Through the rose tinted lenses of nostalgia that sounds real nice, I think Lumia 900 was peak Windows Phone for me. :(

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

For me it was 920. I don't think anything was missing from it. QI, glance, DDTW, it was no compromise (except apps :v:).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

For me it was 920. I don't think anything was missing from it. QI, glance, DDTW, it was no compromise (except apps :v:).

I miss the thickness and weight of my old white 920. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ratbert90 posted:

I miss the thickness and weight of my old white 920. :smith:

Same here brother.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love my 950!! So glad I got it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Same here brother.

If they made a 960 exactly the same weight and dimensions of the 920 with updated internals i would pre order it.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

If they made a 960 exactly the same weight and dimensions of the 920 with updated internals i would pre order it.

But leather. I'm digging my mozo-ed 950.

But fat chance though, shitcan ahoy: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138792-microsoft-to-kill-lumia-line-by-end-of-2016-surface-phones-going-forward

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

"Surface Phone not NOT confirmed" is hilarious as it says and means literally nothing, merely not interrupting anything anyone else is saying. Someone very bad at their job was paid very well to say that on behalf of a global corporation.

Bury W10M, along with that person and everyone else who worked on phones.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cvnvcnv posted:

"Surface Phone not NOT confirmed" is hilarious as it says and means literally nothing, merely not interrupting anything anyone else is saying. Someone very bad at their job was paid very well to say that on behalf of a global corporation.

You can't bury wm10 because it's literally Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

cvnvcnv posted:

Maybe they still have all the signs and costumes from the funeral they had for the iPhone when WP7 launched and can just do not over again on the cheap? :)

I'd be shocked if they actually announce any hardware this year, but who knows.