Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do I suffer any if I totally ignore Gwent, aside from my quest log driving me nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Do I suffer any if I totally ignore Gwent, aside from my quest log driving me nuts?

There is no penalty to ignoring gwent to feel free.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lotish posted:

Are lesser red mutagens supposed to be hard to find or am I having bad luck? After 50 hours of clearing contracts and killing everything I meet I've got two.

Red is, for whatever dumb reason, the hardest of all of them to find early on in the game. Alghouls drop them pretty regularly. Once you get to Skellige there is a place on the South Eastern part of the main island, I forget the name, that has some of the higher level drowners and they drop them like crazy. Spend ~15 minutes farming them and you'll have no more problems with red mutagens ever.

There is a tool you get in Blood and Wine that lets you change mutagen colors, but I don't know if you can get that earlier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lotish posted:

Are lesser red mutagens supposed to be hard to find or am I having bad luck? After 50 hours of clearing contracts and killing everything I meet I've got two.

That's how it is. I started to find them more often as I got a lot further in the game, but for whatever reason they appear a fraction of the time that you see blues and greens.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's really annoying how many things in B&W are an obvious "fix" to issues in the main game, yet are content to remain in B&W instead of being backported into the game proper.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is definitely pretty silly that there are apparently dyes in an expansion, and even though I own that expansion and have 120 hours in the game according to steam, I still haven't seen them

I found the runesmith and I guess I'm sort of ok with him being for level 32+ stuff only since his upgrades are an alternative to glyphs which you can always use.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Digirat posted:

It is definitely pretty silly that there are apparently dyes in an expansion, and even though I own that expansion and have 120 hours in the game according to steam, I still haven't seen them

I gotcha, fam.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ice Fist posted:

FYI - Most Hero cards are overrated. Don't use your run of the mill 10 point hero cards as anything except for filler after you've put all your good cards in your deck. They can't be buffed by anything which makes them actually fairly weak in comparison to most other cards. Of course go ahead and use them if you don't have a full really good deck yet. They're obviously better than that set of 3 point Redanian infantry you have.

Good card would include: Spies. Healers. Cooperative cards (like the catapults). Villentretenmerth. Dandelion. Any other really good neutral cards. Decoys. Scorches. War Horns. And even normal cards with a value higher than 5. All of those are far better than 10 point heroes.

Don't run Commander's Horn (or Dandelion) in Northern Realms decks. Their only units with more than 6 power are the catapults and Villentretenmerth. They're no Nilfgaard with multiple buffable 10 power cards, and they also don't muster 20 power onto a row with a single card like Monsters. Without those things, Commander's Horns are bad.

Take Commander's Horn and a random 6 power Trebuchet. That's two cards to produce 12 power. If you instead play Triss and a random 10 power hero, the worst two heroes possible, that's 17 power that's also immune to weather effects and Scorch. Even if you assume Commander's Horn is buffing two or even three 6 power units, that's three/four cards for 24/36 power. 3/4 heroes, even if one is Triss, is a minimum of 27/37 power.

For Northern Kingdoms there's zero reason not to run every single hero. Sure, the "mandatory cards", i.e. the four spies, two medics, two catapults and Villentretenmerth are all better than heroes, but that's only 9 unit cards out of the required 22. Your next automatic includes should be the rest of the heroes, as they're certainly better than the random 6 power normal units you have available.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Digirat posted:

Have you been to Toussaint? That's where you get dyes.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ojetor posted:

Don't run Commander's Horn (or Dandelion) in Northern Realms decks. Their only units with more than 6 power are the catapults and Villentretenmerth. They're no Nilfgaard with multiple buffable 10 power cards, and they also don't muster 20 power onto a row with a single card like Monsters. Without those things, Commander's Horns are bad.

And the Blue Stripes as long as there are at least two of them, and the same with the Crinfrid Reavers. I'd say Northern Realms actually benefits more from Commander's Horns than Nilfgaard.

If you have something like

3x Blue Stripe Commando
3x Crinfrid Reavers
2x Catapult
4 spies
Yen
Non-hero Medic
Villentretenmerth
Olgierd
Geralt
Ciri
4 10 strength heroes

Commander's Horns seem pretty appealing to me. And at that point you might want to put in Dethmold and/or Vesemir since they can get 12 str with a horn you probably want to play anyway, and 14 if you have Olgierd as well. And you could replace one horn with Dandelion to get a slimmer deck - the 10 str heroes are generally a pretty bad draw with that deck. You have the Blue Stripes, Villentretenmerth, maybe Olgierd, Vesemir if you put him in, and enemy spies for him to double. Hell, you could consider the cow too. If you put all of those in you're not actually running any of the Northern Realms heroes.

If you don't play the non-catapult Tight Bonds, sure, put in the heroes. But you'll end up having to fill space with some 6 strength losers anyway, and might want horns anyway. Also you're just playing lovely Nilfgaard, since the better Tight Bonds are Northern Realms' biggest advantage over them. In that case the faction cards you're playing end up being something like two catapults, the spies, one medic, four 10 strength heroes, as well as some 6 str filler trash; I just don't see how you can justify that over Nilfgaard's Black Infantry Archers, 3 non-hero medics, 4 10 str heroes of which one is a medic, slightly worse spies, maybe Heavy Zerrikanian Fire Scorpion + filler. You have the catapults compared to 3 more medics and the Archers. And I'd say the draw from opponent's discard is better than any of the Foltest abilities.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Yeah Dandelion/Commander's Horn plus Tight Bond cards are another crazy advantage to playing Northern Realms. You can win a round by 100+ points and only need to play 4 or 5 cards.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is it a bug that I have 5 blue stripes and if so how did it happen, because being able to get 200 strength with 6 cards is hilarious and explains why I never had much trouble with Gwent

I don't think I had more than 3 on PS4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

Is it a bug that I have 5 blue stripes and if so how did it happen, because being able to get 200 strength with 6 cards is hilarious and explains why I never had much trouble with Gwent

I don't think I had more than 3 on PS4

There are five blue stripes cards and three crinfid reavers cards in a full Northern Realms Deck.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Where those sweet blue stripes at? I've got three and I already love 'em. Thanks a lot for everyone's suggestions, I played a bunch more Gwent last night and won most of it. I got my first hero card off that Vivaldi banker dwarf guy in Novigrad, bought the second catapult, and am slotting in biting frost only vs. monster decks, sticking with Sunny Foltest for now.

I guess I should probably look for Siri or whatever her name is at some point. It's weird how CD Projekt built this big adventure RPG thing around their card game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ojetor posted:

Take Commander's Horn and a random 6 power Trebuchet. That's two cards to produce 12 power. If you instead play Triss and a random 10 power hero, the worst two heroes possible, that's 17 power that's also immune to weather effects and Scorch. Even if you assume Commander's Horn is buffing two or even three 6 power units, that's three/four cards for 24/36 power. 3/4 heroes, even if one is Triss, is a minimum of 27/37 power.

For Northern Kingdoms there's zero reason not to run every single hero. Sure, the "mandatory cards", i.e. the four spies, two medics, two catapults and Villentretenmerth are all better than heroes, but that's only 9 unit cards out of the required 22. Your next automatic includes should be the rest of the heroes, as they're certainly better than the random 6 power normal units you have available.
Holy poo poo this is terrible advice. Commander's Horns with Tight Bond cards are insane. If you run 4 (5? I only ever had 4) Blue Stripes, 3 Crinfred Reavers, Villentretenmerth, the Tight Bond catapults, three decoys, four spies, the siege row medic, Yennefer, Geralt, Ciri, one Commanders Horn, a scorch, and a Biting Frost you are golden. YOu may need like 1 or 2 other units to fill out your deck, I forget; I usually went with siege units to group up with the Tight Bond Catapults for maximum hilarity. I forget the exact combo to get the right number of cards in the deck, but advising to not run commander's horns is just stupid, sorry not sorry.

edit: I bring the Biting Frost to do poo poo like this with Villentretenmerth:

Which means

It is especially fun against Monster decks, but I couldnt find my other Villentretenmerth committing warcrimes screenshots because I am on my work computer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 14, 2016

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've only been able to find 3 Blue Stripes Commandos on my latest playthrough. I remember buying a fourth one in a previous playthrough from a merchant that I thought wasn't supposed to have one, however. I think the fourth and fifth commandoes are bugs, which may or may not have been patched out?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How come you guys have a gwent card of villentrementerth as a dragon, while mine only ever looks like borch three jackdaws?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh hell yeah it is time for pink geralt

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

How come you guys have a gwent card of villentrementerth as a dragon, while mine only ever looks like borch three jackdaws?

You have the gwent cards free DLC on, which changes the art of neutral cards

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: I bring the Biting Frost to do poo poo like this with Villentretenmerth:

Which means

What's the point of doing that, anyway? In my experience, the AI either has a clear weather card and will use it right away, or it doesn't, and that's a waste of dragon breath.

A while ago, someone noted that NPC face replication was particularly noticeable during the Pyres of Novigrad intro.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Staltran posted:

I've only been able to find 3 Blue Stripes Commandos on my latest playthrough. I remember buying a fourth one in a previous playthrough from a merchant that I thought wasn't supposed to have one, however. I think the fourth and fifth commandoes are bugs, which may or may not have been patched out?
In earlier patches of the game it was possible to get 5 BSCs but they patched that out later. I was so far behind my playthrough at the time that even though I started playing around release day I never got the 4th and 5th cards when everyone else had beaten the game. I believe they were sitting on a vendor in White Orchard before they realized that they had too many.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

5 20-strength cards in the same deck is not at all too many. WITH FOLTEST TO VICTORYYY

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xander77 posted:

What's the point of doing that, anyway? In my experience, the AI either has a clear weather card and will use it right away, or it doesn't, and that's a waste of dragon breath.

A while ago, someone noted that NPC face replication was particularly noticeable during the Pyres of Novigrad intro.
If they clear weather it (rarely does the AI do it immediately) then they used a card and I could chose to hold Vil for a better opportunity. The point is that if the Biting Frost is still in effect you sue one card to nuke every single card of theirs in the front row. The card advantage is hilarious and awesome if it was the Banding or whatever that draws other cards out of their deck or hand onto the battlefield. Oh, you have all of your Ghouls and the three witches out in the front row? Now they are gone and it only took 2 cards. I dont see how nuking 10+ cards is a waste? Because then they are gone forever and if they have a clear weather it becomes an unplayable misery burden in their hand.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

Now they are gone and it only took 2 cards. I dont see how nuking 10+ cards is a waste?
Because if they don't have a clear weather, then they're practically gone with only one card? And you'll only get the chance to "nuke" those card if they don't have a clear weather card?

I suppose there might be a difference in our subjective estimation of whether the AI is ever smart enough to hold off on using clear weather.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's been a while since I've played, but I remember the ai pretty frequently not playing clear weather on the very next turn. :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xander77 posted:

Because if they don't have a clear weather, then they're practically gone with only one card? And you'll only get the chance to "nuke" those card if they don't have a clear weather card?

I suppose there might be a difference in our subjective estimation of whether the AI is ever smart enough to hold off on using clear weather.
I like it because it means they used a lot of cards that aren't coming back. Yes a Biting Frost is one card instead of two, but it can be countered. Villentretenmerth'ing a large number of cards cannot be countered. It gives me a lead on points and card advantage. I can win a round with fewer cards because 10 cards each worth 1 is still 10 points I have to come up with; 20 if they are horn'd or Dandelion'd.

If they would Clear Weather then so be it , roll with the situation :shrug:

[spoilers] The AI has never Clear Weathered the turn after I dropped a Biting Frost [/spoilers]

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Northern Realms is the heavy-hitting, battlefield-leveling, let's-artillery-this-poo poo-up Gwent deck. You totally should be using Dandelion, Horns and lotsa decoys because the only thing that can really screw you up is a Nilfgaard deck (particularly with Relentless Emhyr) with a hand full of spies, medics and scorches aplenty. If that happens, chaining horns/tight bond is mandatory IMO.

Skellige seems similar in philosophy, but I can't quite figure it out how to wreck as much with NR. Most obvious combo I have figured is Cerys + horn with all shieldmaidens after throwing Crach.

Gwent chat aside, Anna Henrietta's VA and animation is really good. Reminds me a lot of VtM: Bloodlines.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Xander77 posted:

It's a scoiatael deck, the AI can put their agile cards into the ranged row. Did it pass before Bort's turn?

It might throw the game if it attempts to equalise the score after that on the first round for sure but Bort is holding five cards with no strength and the AI can have more decoys and healers in their deck to swing it back, not to mention the spy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Delacroix posted:

It's a scoiatael deck, the AI can put their agile cards into the ranged row. Did it pass before Bort's turn?

It might throw the game if it attempts to equalise the score after that on the first round for sure but Bort is holding five cards with no strength and the AI can have more decoys and healers in their deck to swing it back, not to mention the spy.
I have a Letho, a strength 10 card (a catapult? I forget what the Nilfgaard strength 10 Surge card is called) and maaaybe 1 other card behind the tool-tip :ssh:

Edit: looked at the second screenshot... The other card is a Ciri :v:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I got a question about the GOTY Edition that's on Steam: I have the base game with no expansions, and the latest patch seems to update the base game with the applicable GOTY Edition changes. If I just buy the expansions, then I would basically have the equivalent of the GOTY Edition, right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tupperwarez posted:

I got a question about the GOTY Edition that's on Steam: I have the base game with no expansions, and the latest patch seems to update the base game with the applicable GOTY Edition changes. If I just buy the expansions, then I would basically have the equivalent of the GOTY Edition, right?

Yes

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Blood and Wine:

Which quests should I have wrapped up about the time they plan to storm the castle? Thanks in advance :)

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Guillaume's tourney, and that's it I think

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Anyone know if there is way to respec my talent in the first witcher game? either mod or in-game? i'm playing with FCR because i hate myself and i'm deep in chapter 2, suddenly realizing i've hosed up my talent spending. It feels like the years of silently mocking people who scream for respec potions on game forums have finally come to bite me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't remember a respec option in that game, but if you power through it for now, I remember having more talent points than I needed before the game was over so you might be able to make up the difference.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sorry if this has been posted, I'm a bit in a hurry and can't skim the last couple of pages.

The Witcher is getting it's own stamp in Poland.
It's limited to 180.000 pieces and will sell for 6 Zloty.

The reason I'm posting - can someone from Poland get me 3-4 of those?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mcbexx posted:

Sorry if this has been posted, I'm a bit in a hurry and can't skim the last couple of pages.

The Witcher is getting it's own stamp in Poland.
It's limited to 180.000 pieces and will sell for 6 Zloty.

The reason I'm posting - can someone from Poland get me 3-4 of those?

Same, if the exchange rate is about the same as when I was in Poland circa 2004, that's about $1.50 USD

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Yeah it'd be nice to get my hands on one of those. <3

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is there any way to manually remove quests from the log? I have no intention of playing Gwent during this playthrough (I accidentally failed 'Collect Em' All' already) and I'm getting tired of all the Gwent quests cluttering the log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Traxis posted:

Is there any way to manually remove quests from the log? I have no intention of playing Gwent during this playthrough (I accidentally failed 'Collect Em' All' already) and I'm getting tired of all the Gwent quests cluttering the log.

The quest journal stuff back a while ago was so dumb. It was pretty crappily organized. I don't know if they've changed anything, but I don't think there's a way to 'hide' quests.