Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

cheese posted:

Probably because we have spent the last few decades pumping up post-grad education to the point where even an MA or PhD doesn't mean a whole lot. We also no longer (especially after 2008) really have enough jobs for the majority of college graduates, which has fueled a "go back to school and get your MA/PhD in the same field where a BA wouldn't get you a job" boom. Oh and rack up 6 figures of student loan debt while doing it.

The job market is brutal and not really getting any better.

This already wasn't true, and today's economic news makes it doubly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Kim Jong Il posted:

This already wasn't true, and today's economic news makes it doubly so.

It wasn't true? WTF?

What universe have you been living in?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Chicago at least requires most cabs to take credit cards. If the reader is "broken," they have to have the old fashioned carbon paper up front to take payment. Of course, you have to weigh that against whether you want to push your luck with a moody cabbie. I've had the problem much less in the last few years though, credit cards are just a fact of life they need to deal with.
Why would you have to push your luck? It's 2016. Just tell them you don't carry cash and if they can't take your valid form of payment then gently caress them, they're breaking the law and you don't enable it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Discendo Vox posted:

I think we've identified the locus of your problem.

I thought you were a better poster than that. Seriously.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, and it's a large part of why they're going to fail in the long term. Airbnb's profit was based in evading regulation- municipalities and states that get them to pay taxes, and force them to obey the laws that actually apply to companies that do what they do, can't be profitable for them. The company can only exist as long as the side costs of doing business, the costs that are normally shouldered by companies that operate within the law, are covered by other people.
Actually, I'm not sure that is true with airbnb. It essentially provides a service no one else does (except vrbo). For longer stays, I'm not even going check hotels because they cannot provide the product airbnb provides.
Airbnb isn't purely about price, which is why they didn't fight paying hotel taxes.

Edit: enjoying the new thread title.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 14, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

nm posted:

I thought you were a better poster than that. Seriously.

Actually, I'm not sure that is true with airbnb. It essentially provides a service no one else does (except vrbo). For longer stays, I'm not even going check hotels because they cannot provide the product airbnb provides.
Airbnb isn't purely about price, which is why they didn't fight paying hotel taxes.

Dude, they did try to fight back. They backed off when they realized it wouldn't work, and that they could still circumvent other regulations (such as zoning laws, which are kinda important) that would let them undercut hotels. They're still operating at a loss, though I can't find exact numbers. Their only route to profitability is to drive all competitors out of the market before their costs and regulators catch up with them and their bubble bursts. I mean, there's a reason the thread has this title.

More generally, your argument is built on the assumption of legal circumvention, on the failure of law to produce socially preferable outcomes. Do you understand why that might raise ethical concerns, especially when you started this argument by framing the whole thing on how the company benefits your personal convenience?

And yes, other companies provide the service airbnb does- they're called hotels. Cripes, this is the SUV argument all over again.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 14, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

Actually, I'm not sure that is true with airbnb. It essentially provides a service no one else does (except vrbo).

well, so do drug dealers

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Halloween Jack posted:

I got bad service from multiple cab companies and I would prefer good service from any cab companies that provide it. I like Uber's app-based model with up-front pricing. I've also gotten the same service from good cab companies and am willing to pay more for it as long as I get the good service. I'm not sure why this is a problem for you.

Law abiding cab companies in metro areas are increasingly using apps that accept credit card as hail and payment, try checking to see if the cabs in your area do.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I think the problem is that you combine separate and distinct points.

1. I think airbnb decided quite early that paying taxes were the path to appearing legitimate. They support laxer regulations, but they're not an uber level player that takes their balls and goes home. Locally, at least, airbnb has been a fairly reasonable actor when it comes to regulation. That puts them miles above most distruptors.
2. I don't think airbnb is really a legal issue for most people. Most of complaints about airbnb are not the result of breaking laws -- they may be legitmate, but they are not based on laws airbnb breaks. This is compared to uber, whose biggest complaints are abuse of labor laws and lack of proper insurance.
I know that you tend to conflate ethical and legal, but you can be legal and unethical and vice versa.
This is I think why "but they are breaking laws!" doesn't work as well with airbnb v. uber. Or maybe people just think loving over workers is a problem.
3. The reason I don't think airbnb is as concerned about being regulated is they provide a different product. Yes, they take some clients away from hotels, but i do not believe a fair percentage of those clients really care about the savings. Most would probably stay at an airbnb if the costs were comparable.
Hotels tend to focus on a business clientile and have locations and services based on those needs.
Airbnb focuses more on tourists and focuses more on that. They are more analogous to bnbs except that they don't have doilies and lace everywhere.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

nm posted:

1. I think airbnb decided quite early that paying taxes were the path to appearing legitimate. They support laxer regulations, but they're not an uber level player that takes their balls and goes home. Locally, at least, airbnb has been a fairly reasonable actor when it comes to regulation. That puts them miles above most distruptors.

Their only difference from Uber is that they use https://bribery. The damage done is the same.

nm posted:

2. I don't think airbnb is really a legal issue for most people. Most of complaints about airbnb are not the result of breaking laws -- they may be legitmate, but they are not based on laws airbnb breaks. This is compared to uber, whose biggest complaints are abuse of labor laws and lack of proper insurance.
I know that you tend to conflate ethical and legal, but you can be legal and unethical and vice versa.
This is I think why "but they are breaking laws!" doesn't work as well with airbnb v. uber. Or maybe people just think loving over workers is a problem.

People don't complain about airbnb breaking laws, they complain about the effects of airbnb breaking laws. Again, zoning and inspections are the biggest example here. Again, the "loving over workers" is a thing that is able to happen because airbnb breaks laws.

nm posted:

3. The reason I don't think airbnb is as concerned about being regulated is they provide a different product. Yes, they take some clients away from hotels, but i do not believe a fair percentage of those clients really care about the savings. Most would probably stay at an airbnb if the costs were comparable.
Hotels tend to focus on a business clientile and have locations and services based on those needs.
Airbnb focuses more on tourists and focuses more on that. They are more analogous to bnbs except that they don't have doilies and lace everywhere.

Airbnb is not profitable. It cannot be profitable without capturing the market from conventional hotels, and bnbs, and motels, and anywhere else, that obey the law. Their entire scheme is to drive competitors out of the market before the costs of their approach become clear, their money runs out, or regulators begin banning them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, you think airbnb's business plan is to drive hotels, most of which are run by large multinational chains, out of business before they can be regulated?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

I think the problem is that you combine separate and distinct points.

they sometimes follow the law, and sometimes don't depending on how easy it is to get away with it. this link has more. "We follow the law if you call us on it!" is sadly above most disruptors but still not laudable

quote:

I know that you tend to conflate ethical and legal, but you can be legal and unethical and vice versa

reminder that earlier i said my main problem is that i dont like business models which basically collect a cut from outsourcing petty crime. i dont care if people do it but i do care if there's a for profit organization encouraging and facilitating people turning a buck off petty crime

quote:

the reason airbnb is often cheaper is because they have less expenses by not adhering to local regulations like fire safety for a commercial dwelling or paying sales tax. uber is cheaper because they have no overhead and by hiring the driver as a 'contractor' they can easily pay less than minimum wage as payment is based on driver activity and the volume of business. like yeah, it's much easier to provide a quality product for cheaper if you purposely sidestep cost-adding regulations, this is pretty much how most crime works

nm posted:

well, nearly all bed and breakfasts register as hotels and adhere to local hotel regulations. with airbnb it could go either way. that's the big difference i see

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
and i just want to emphasize one more time in a separate post that i'm not trying to wave a moralist flag and accuse others of illegal behavior. i smoke weed, i dont care, do whatever

i just think it's hilarious that more than one billion dollar company's business model relies on its end users breaking the law in a really minimal way so they can send a percentage back to headquarters. i should find a way to set up a gray market lottery or numbers racket and retire early. we can call it Rollr. this is what silicon valley can come up with, apps that deliver groceries to me at a mild markup and basic level organized crime rackets

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and i just want to emphasize one more time in a separate post that i'm not trying to wave a moralist flag and accuse others of illegal behavior. i smoke weed, i dont care, do whatever

i just think it's hilarious that more than one billion dollar company's business model relies on its end users breaking the law in a really minimal way so they can send a percentage back to headquarters. i should find a way to set up a gray market lottery or numbers racket and retire early. we can call it Rollr. this is what silicon valley can come up with, apps that deliver groceries to me at a mild markup and basic level organized crime rackets

Pretty sure they're called games with in-app purchases.
I agree in theory, I guess I don't care so much about airbnb because they don't seem actively evil like the ubers and others they are compared to. I also will admit to liking the product, independent of price and would happily pay more to ensure that it is legal -- I like seeing, for example, that I am paying local hotel taxes as I have in basically every airbnb I've ever booked (which has only been 4, I think).

re: B&Bs, I understand that, I just think that B&Bs are the closest thing to airbnb there is in terms of the product. Airbnb is a little less personal and less "cute" than the average B&B, so I think the average single person (and/or me) is a bit more comfortable with them. B&Bs still generally don't provide access to stoves and even laundry access is sketchy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If you make enough money on airbnb they report your income to the IRS. You enter it as Schedule D rental income. You can deduct your expenses (or a portion thereof if you live there.)

Depending on the city, AirBNB also collects local taxes at transaction time. The host has no control over this, and the AirBNB platform is smart enough to know when various taxes apply (like not charging local taxes for 2 month stays).

There are a good number of AirBNB hosts who live in a place full time and then go stay at a friend's house when it books. These tend to be in places where everything doesn't book all the time (ie, cities that build enough housing, or resort towns with well-defined travel seasons).

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the only people i ever see defending airbnb are people who rent out their property using it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Interestingly enough, most AirBnBs that actually get used are commercially-owned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouvers-top-airbnb-earners-are-commercial-hosts-research/article30324477/

There are definitely people who rent out all or part of their home, but they only account for about 5% of AirBnB stays by revenue.

E: at least in Vancouver, but that article mentions similar research in New York.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the only people i ever see defending airbnb are people who rent out their property using it
And the people using it to find a place to stay. On the other hand, the opposition seems to be mostly from the established hospitality industry, based around "the law is the law" and vague ramblings about externalities.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

If you make enough money on airbnb they report your income to the IRS. You enter it as Schedule D rental income. You can deduct your expenses (or a portion thereof if you live there.)

Depending on the city, AirBNB also collects local taxes at transaction time. The host has no control over this, and the AirBNB platform is smart enough to know when various taxes apply (like not charging local taxes for 2 month stays).

There are a good number of AirBNB hosts who live in a place full time and then go stay at a friend's house when it books. These tend to be in places where everything doesn't book all the time (ie, cities that build enough housing, or resort towns with well-defined travel seasons).

For anyone taking this post seriously, this person willingly lived in a "hacker hostel" and has obviously drunk the silicon kool aid.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The appeal of Uber for me is unrelated to the price. I wouldn't mind paying the going taxi rate (which is kind of a lot in Boston) for the following things on a reliable basis:

- driver accepting credit card without lying or fighting about it
- cabs being clean and not smelling like stale cigarettes
- driver having GPS and knowing the destination in advance (even when I call ahead for a cab, frequently the driver arrives with no idea where to go)
- fare estimates
- rating/feedback if the driver is rude or insane etc.
- knowing the driver's name/face and the car license before getting in
- seeing how close the cab is while I'm waiting
- having tip included in the fare so I don't have to carry cash

If an app/platform comes along that can provide these things on top of the existing medallion system, I would be overjoyed.

Even better, obviously, would be to reform the medallion system to allow more competition for new cab companies who comply with regulations. There shouldn't be an artificial scarcity of cabs. It should only be limited by a company's ability to insure and comply with safety and labor laws.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

mobby_6kl posted:

And the people using it to find a place to stay. On the other hand, the opposition seems to be mostly from the established hospitality industry, based around "the law is the law" and vague ramblings about externalities.

Do...do you not know what an externality is? Do you not know why zoning laws exist?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
remember when someone died at an airbnb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Interestingly enough, most AirBnBs that actually get used are commercially-owned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouvers-top-airbnb-earners-are-commercial-hosts-research/article30324477/

There are definitely people who rent out all or part of their home, but they only account for about 5% of AirBnB stays by revenue.

E: at least in Vancouver, but that article mentions similar research in New York.
I think an article came out about that being the case in a lot of major cities.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think an article came out about that being the case in a lot of major cities.

Yea, having used it a bit and having my dad airbnb bis place nonstop, it's clear that the expectation from guests is a pristine place that has no evidence of the owner being there. So it's much easier for corporate types to just have a property manager and cleaning service handle a bunch of properties than any other method.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mobby_6kl posted:

haha yeah maybe if you expand "the hospitality industry" to include anyone annoyed at having an airbnb neighbor and anyone fed up with living in a city experiencing a housing crisis (since airbnb has been widely reported to take a significant number of residencies off of the rental market everywhere they've measured it)

these are examples of the nebulous "externality" you seem to be unfamiliar with btw which have a significant number of people pissed off beyond bed & breakfast owners and whoever you think whiteknights for hotels

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
#MarriottMatters
#FourSeasonsForAll
#CheckInNotOut

Urban planning depends on zoning laws. Annulling them would have the effect of turning all effected areas into Texas.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 14, 2016

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
EDIT: Oops, thought this was the California thread.

e_angst fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 14, 2016

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
There was an AirBnb next to me in NYC that was obnoxious. They were loud as hell at least 2x a week so I kept having to get up at 3am to ask people to keep it down. They were always very nice and complied but having to have the same conversation over and over was kind of draining. It's not like a normal neighbor where we could have worked it out by being adults and having a conversation. I talked to the guy who ran it and he put a notice to be quiet in the ad. It didn't do much. Also, finding vomit and dropped street food in the hall got old.

I think they got evicted for it. At the very least it isn't being rented to tourists anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

e_angst posted:

EDIT: Oops, thought this was the California thread.

The fall of unicorns: Oops, thought this was the California thread.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

neonnoodle posted:

The appeal of Uber for me is unrelated to the price. I wouldn't mind paying the going taxi rate (which is kind of a lot in Boston) for the following things on a reliable basis:

- driver having GPS and knowing the destination in advance (even when I call ahead for a cab, frequently the driver arrives with no idea where to go)
- fare estimates

If an app/platform comes along that can provide these things on top of the existing medallion system, I would be overjoyed.

Even better, obviously, would be to reform the medallion system to allow more competition for new cab companies who comply with regulations. There shouldn't be an artificial scarcity of cabs. It should only be limited by a company's ability to insure and comply with safety and labor laws.

There should absolutely be an "artificial scarcity of cabs" because every cab roaming the streets looking for fares has a far worse impact on city traffic than a normal car.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

neonnoodle posted:

- fare estimates

So you want the regular swedish cab industry? :sweden:

Like everything but the "see how close the cab is" and ability to report drivers is industry standard. Legislation does work, it was poo poo just 5 years ago here in Stockholm for instance.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The majority of Airbnb's I've stayed in have been people renting out their extra room, granted I usually go for the cheaper ones though.

Airbnb's becoming party houses has become a definite issue in some parts of town though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

So you want the regular swedish cab industry? :sweden:

Like everything but the "see how close the cab is" and ability to report drivers is industry standard. Legislation does work, it was poo poo just 5 years ago here in Stockholm for instance.

Stockholm is the only place I've had the cab driver pull the "credit card machine broken" trick.
However, stockholm also has (had, he was pretty old and this was a few years ago) with a loving mercedes grosser which was baller as loving hell.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

the "credit card machine broken" trick.

aka the "cool my ride was free" trick

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aka the "cool my ride was free" trick

How does that work? I have a feeling the machine will suddenly be fixed if you say you just have a credit card. Also I noticed they stopped doing this poo poo ever since Uber got huge(in LA anyways).

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 14, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nm posted:

Stockholm is the only place I've had the cab driver pull the "credit card machine broken" trick.
However, stockholm also has (had, he was pretty old and this was a few years ago) with a loving mercedes grosser which was baller as loving hell.

Can't have been in glorious 2016 where no one in Stockholm has cash anymore. :v:

But yeah it used to be really bad. I moved in after things started changing but I remember it cropping up in the news on a monthly basis back in 2010.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Every drat time I've had to take a cab from the airport here in Orlando it's a taxi that has no suspension left. Like I never get car sick but I have the times I've been in these cabs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like Ubers because trying to get a cab otherwise I feel physically ill with how gross they are. I've had 'real' cabs that smelled like cigarettes so strongly it set me off on coughing fits the whole time I was in the cab. I've had 'real' cabs with abandoned fast food ON the back seat. I've had 'real cabs' where the driver intentionally got himself lost and didn't listen to my directions (because OF COURSE he didn't use GPS) just to make it cost more. And oh, I've definitely had cabs where their credit card machine didn't work, until I revealed it was all I had on me, when it suddenly worked again.

The worst I've had with Ubers was a driver who really wanted to talk to me about weed regulations (I am in california) and how we should just legalize weed. His car was still spotless, he put my phone on the aux and listened to my music with me.

The cab industry sucks, and I hope Uber drives it out of business, and then when it no longer has to 'compete' with them is able to be better to their employees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

and then when it no longer has to 'compete' with them is able to be better to their employees.

:lol: if you think that's ever going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KittyEmpress posted:

The cab industry sucks, and I hope Uber drives it out of business, and then when it no longer has to 'compete' with them is able to be better to their employees.

Yeah, monopolies are forced to treat their employees well.