Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

If owning a raccoon is just throwing money away, then what does it mean to throw away a raccoon?

e: full source, if anyone is curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHN-f6xTzsY

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh my god that is easily one of my favorite videos/loops in the entire history of the god drat internet, thread reedemed

the way the creature shines its sinister eyes as it sinks into the abyss....

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

oh my god that is easily one of my favorite videos/loops in the entire history of the god drat internet, thread reedemed

the way the creature shines its sinister eyes as it sinks into the abyss....

Fun Fact: the man in that gif is Digg founder Kevin Rose

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Principal spends $400 on petrol and McDonalds on the school credit card.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/84230609/former-principal-censured-for-school-credit-card-spend

quote:

Hill said she first used the card because she had put petrol in her car then couldn't find her wallet, and she always intended to repay the money.

"I knew there would be consequences but never would I have thought I would have to resign and leave the job I loved."

The tribunal censured Hill for serious misconduct, ordered her to pay half the costs of the disciplinary proceedings, and put conditions on her practising certificate.
Over the next year, she must tell any school that she works at or intends to work at about the decision, and she may not hold any position involving managerial financial responsibility.

Note quite sure how she thought she'd keep the job.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That...doesn't seem so bad to me? I guess everywhere I've worked has the credit cards in the individuals' names, and then reimburses based on receipts, so that'd be absolutely fine. She didn't seem like she lied anywhere or tried to conceal it. Wouldn't fire/10, assuming she immediately paid the bill.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devian666 posted:

Principal spends $400 on petrol and McDonalds on the school credit card.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/84230609/former-principal-censured-for-school-credit-card-spend

Note quite sure how she thought she'd keep the job.
I'm confused. Why didn't she just flag it as a personal expense and write a check to the school? My company has employees who do this all the time.. Not a big deal. E: our cards are in the Company's name vs personal.

GWM: If you're leaving the company, charge up large amounts right before you leave. We don't come after people if they don't voluntarily pay back as a few grand is very immaterial to the Company and bad press is bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm confused. Why didn't she just flag it as a personal expense and write a check to the school? My company has employees who do this all the time.. Not a big deal.

She did:

quote:

Hill handed over credit card receipts as requested in February 2014, noting that $390.31 was personal expenditure.

Six transactions were made: at petrol stations, McDonalds, Countdown, and in Rotorua.

She then informed the board, repaid the money the day an invoice was sent, and admitted she knew the spending was against the school's policy.

The school is apparently just being a total hardass about it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah that seems unfortunately excessive, especially if she is otherwise alright at her job. She should've known better (maybe?) but she was intending to pay it back. Maybe it's due to the public nature of school funds? Either way, punishment don't fit the crime.

E: Oh she actually repaid them, what a bunch of assholes. Maybe a warning would've been fine, though there could also be people on the board who are out to get here?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that seems unfortunately excessive, especially if she is otherwise alright at her job. She should've known better (maybe?) but she was intending to pay it back. Maybe it's due to the public nature of school funds? Either way, punishment don't fit the crime.

E: Oh she actually repaid them, what a bunch of assholes. Maybe a warning would've been fine, though there could also be people on the board who are out to get here?

As an aside to how badly people can over react to tiny bullshit.

"Humane Society Director Resigns After Criticism For Buying Purebred Dog"
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/02/05/humane-society-director-resigns-after-criticism-for-buying-purebred-dog/

People threatened her life.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

Maybe a warning would've been fine, though there could also be people on the board who are out to get here?

School politics are the most cutthroat politics.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Misusing my corporate card is one of maybe three ways to get immediately fired from my job. Misuse being "any personal expenses" since the card is for business travel expenses only. So I just use my personal card and get reimbursed from that.

edit: the corporate card is in my name too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Mandingo posted:

Misusing my corporate card is one of maybe three ways to get immediately fired from my job. Misuse being "any personal expenses" since the card is for business travel expenses only. So I just use my personal card and get reimbursed from that.

And on the flip side, when I got mine, they said it was totally cool to use it for personal expenses as long as I paid it off on time.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

WampaLord posted:

She did:

The school is apparently just being a total hardass about it.
I didn't read the article, clearly. That's really loving dumb.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WampaLord posted:

And on the flip side, when I got mine, they said it was totally cool to use it for personal expenses as long as I paid it off on time.

That's pretty rare; most corporate card arrangements between company and issuer don't want anything that the company isn't on the hook for, because it was issued on the strength of the company's creditworthiness.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Even putting unauthorized company expenses on a company card can get you fired. A fellow engineer at J&J put capital budget ($30,000) on his company card because he needed to get some work done on a timeline and couldn't afford to wait until the next capital budget committee meeting, and he got walked out the door in the next financial audit. I definitely would never put personal expenses on a company card without a permission expressed in writing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I've had to purchase equipment for our department on our company if we have to get something that isn't carried on our normal vendor. I had my card setup on Amazon and then didn't remove it right away. A few days later, I bought a book and for some reason their One Click setting decided to switch to this new card despite being setup on my other one for years. No one noticed until I was balancing my card and was off ten dollars and found what happened. Thankfully just a quick call to accounting and mailing them a check for ten dollars cleared it right up.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

WampaLord posted:

My place is kind of in between; it would not be cool at all for me to use the card this way, but there would be zero consequences to doing it a few times other than an annoyed phone call from Finance. There's even a category in the reporting system for non-reimbursable expenses; it's not like something they can't handle.

A few hundred dollars is more than she should have spent, missing wallet or no, but given that it wasn't an attempt at theft or fraud, the reaction is absurd.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It does seem like a bit of overkill, but her story is pretty weak and it was against policy. Schools often have very limited funds and have to be really careful how they spend their money and consider how it would look to sources of funding (especially if they receive any kind of government funding). Expenses are one of the most easily abused features of financial accounting, so "I lost my wallet when buying petrol so it was an emergency...and then I had a hunger emergency so needed to go to McDonalds and then a few other places, and I didn't tell anyone because I felt guilty" isn't really going to go down very well with a school board.

She didn't tell anyone or repay the money immediately either. She only told them when admin asked about it and repaid it when they sent an invoice. She also knew she was doing something against policy, and it sounds like the biggest issue is that she didn't tell anyone about the expenses when she made them, probably because she admits she knew it was wrong and didn't want to get in trouble:

quote:

She spent almost $400 on the school card and didn't tell the board until administration staff picked it up on the account.

"Deep down I knew using the school credit card was the wrong choice," she said.

"I felt guilty and sick. I was unsure how I would approach [telling the school] without sounding like I had done something bad."

She then informed the board, repaid the money the day an invoice was sent, and admitted she knew the spending was against the school's policy.

The issues could have been avoided by ringing the board chair straight away to explain the situation, the tribunal said.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
In other words, she was found out. What happens if they don't find out? She never tells them?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

quote:

The issues could have been avoided by ringing the board chair straight away to explain the situation, the tribunal said.

Exactly this.

"Sorry guys I'm a loving idiot and forgot my wallet, so I used the company card to get poo poo done. Here's a check for the amount I used."

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

As an aside to how badly people can over react to tiny bullshit.

"Humane Society Director Resigns After Criticism For Buying Purebred Dog"
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/02/05/humane-society-director-resigns-after-criticism-for-buying-purebred-dog/

People threatened her life.

I mean buying puppies from breeders is pretty evil even if most people don't immediately realize it. That person can't really claim ignorance though considering she worked for a nonprofit dedicated to exactly that issue.

Definitely a BWM choice considering she prob perma ruined her career.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I might get probated for this but...

DEMAG posted:

I've spent over 3000 on medical care for my Dachshund. Because that's Dachshund things (leg issues and epilepsy). I knew the risks when I got her. I'm also not a poor scrublord and had no ill feelings about spending the money to take care of her.

Oh_Yeah posted:

Spent 14K on my two sausage dogs in 1 year...Even took 1 month off work so I could care for the little girl that had corrective surgery to fix bilateral pes varus..Id be walking around the yard with a sling around her waist for support while she picked a spot to go to the toilet. This was literally 3-4 times a day for a month, I even made all these mind stimulation games so she wouldn't get bored coz I could t take her for walks. Now she knows how to search for things I tell her to find haha.

People balk at that sum but I wouldn't have gotten dogs if I couldn't afford it...they're my best friends for real, even if people think I'm crazy.
What's the opposite of a humble brag, as in bragging about how bad you are with money? Oh wait it's called being BAD WITH MONEY. You both bought inbred dogs when you clearly knew the associated problems then you have the audacity to brag about how much it cost you to fix their inbred caused problem. "Oh I can afford it".

New category for the next round of awards: Humble Brag BWM.

These two.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm inbred. If I need my appendix out or something, should I get it done, or have them put me to sleep? Please advise.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's the opposite of a humble brag, as in bragging about how bad you are with money? Oh wait it's called being BAD WITH MONEY. You both bought inbred dogs when you clearly knew the associated problems then you have the audacity to brag about how much it cost you to fix their inbred caused problem. "Oh I can afford it".

These two.

Er... from the tone and context of their posts, they may well be very high-income earners. I don't think 14k is that big a deal if you are in senior management or in a senior tech / finance position. Even if they are just middle management, perhaps they have no other hobbies, life pursuits or children?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Purebred anything is going to be similar to horses in terms of BWM, just less in scale. The whole "affordability" thing is kind of a cover for knowingly perpetuating creatures that will likely need extensive care and medical treatment when there are plenty of non-purebred dogs to rescue that have a much better chance at a high quality of life but will instead be put down so you can have a designer dog as a status symbol or personal existential fulfillment animal or whatever.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Turn left thread! Noooooo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ego symphonic posted:

Turn left thread! Noooooo

:siren: :siren: ABORT ABORT :siren: :siren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3l77wy/ny_got_a_job_at_a_pizzeria_only_paid_in_gift/

Here's a blast from the past from this thread. Easily my favorite "it came from reddit"

e:

quote:

I just turned 18 and am working full time in a small pizzeria (just a storefront with pickup to go and delivery.) I am also going to night school part time. I am all on my own and I moved into my apartment and started this job at the beginning of September. I started the job on September 1st. I was supposed to be paid on the 15th for 2 weeks of work (September 1-14). In that time period I worked 96 hours. Yesterday instead of a paycheck my boss gave me gift certificates for the pizzeria instead. He says he can't afford to pay me money and I must have misunderstood when he hired me because he made it clear I would be paid in gift certificates instead of money. He never said anything like that to me. The pizzeria is independently owned so I have no one else to go to about this. I complained to him but he said that it's all legal because he paid me the full amount I would have gotten in money except with gift certificates and that if I keep complaining he will fire me and void the certificates. He also said he could have given me less because I am under 21 and the law lets him pay young people less. All the other people who work there are family of his and he pays them money. Is it legal that he is doing this? I never would have taken the job if I knew I wouldn't be paid in money. I need money to pay for my rent, my books for school and for winter clothes because I only have dresses and I can't just survive eating pizza and nothing else.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 14, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Edit: nevermind.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Well we have to be consistent here. If pet horses are bwm then all expensive pets are.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Zo posted:

Well we have to be consistent here. If pet horses are bwm then all expensive pets are.

But if youre rich and you stud/race horses it circles back into GWM.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Moneyball posted:

I'm inbred. If I need my appendix out or something, should I get it done, or have them put me to sleep? Please advise.

I guess I have to put you down. Sorry I don't want another humble brag nomination.

/r/PersonalFinance - Shady Job posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/52p6x3/shady_job/

Okay. First off, not sure if this is the proper place to post this. So if not, sorry in advance.

Anyways, my roommate has been looking for a job for quite some time now. He got a job with a new company here were we live.

There's a few things that are shady about this job. But I'll try to list the most obvious. First off he has no real job experience other than driving trucks. This is a "direct sales" job and they said they would make him a head manager of the local area in 45 days. He just has to learn all the other jobs first. Not too bad. Kind of a red flag but this is where it gets really bad. The past few days they have been driving him around the city and having him sell Cologne and perfume that is name brand for up to 75% cheaper than retail. Also they never asked him for two forms of ID which is a state law that employers have to follow where we are from. Also didnt have to fill out tax forms. Also their website was made in february and they have no real shops or anything. And no other management because theyre "expanding".To me this sounds like they're illegally selling knock off products. Or am I just being crazy?

Anyways, just wanted some second opinions and some advice as to what I should tell him. I'm really concerned and don't want him to get in trouble but he's entirely too optimistic. He thinks he's found the opportunity of a lifetime and I think he's going to end up in jail. Or at the very least with fines of some sort.

Any advice? Anyone dealt with this type of thing before?

Holy poo poo. This is a two for one. The best BMW pyramid scheme victim and the best GWM pyramid scheme business owner. Either way I bet someone is going to jail.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 14, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I have a vet friend that decided she wanted a french bulldog so she found a reputable breeder and paid like $1500. I asked her about potential health issues and her response was "well I'm a vet so I can handle it". Well it turns out the dog has a degenerative spine, needed hours and hours of (discounted) treatment from her clinic and has to be on pain meds for the rest of its life. And there's a good chance it gets worse and he has to be put down =/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I have a vet friend that decided she wanted a french bulldog so she found a reputable breeder and paid like $1500. I asked her about potential health issues and her response was "well I'm a vet so I can handle it". Well it turns out the dog has a degenerative spine, needed hours and hours of (discounted) treatment from her clinic and has to be on pain meds for the rest of its life. And there's a good chance it gets worse and he has to be put down =/

See, that doesn't sound so bad. She's a vet, she see's dogs all day. If anyone knows the exact breed and temperament they want in a pet, it's someone who see's dozens of different animals every day. She knows what can go wrong and has the skills to treat it. Kind of like an auto mechanic buying an Audi.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Krispy Kareem posted:

See, that doesn't sound so bad. She's a vet, she see's dogs all day. If anyone knows the exact breed and temperament they want in a pet, it's someone who see's dozens of different animals every day. She knows what can go wrong and has the skills to treat it. Kind of like an auto mechanic buying an Audi.

r/personalfinance

So my husband [29, auto mechanic] and I [28, zookeeper] decided to buy a jaguar...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

An Audi that can feel pain and lives its entire life begging you silently to kill it as its deformed body writhes and twitches, sure.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

An Audi that can feel pain and lives its entire life begging you silently to kill it as its deformed body writhes and twitches, sure.

Don't doxx my car, please.

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

These two.

They are rescues from dachshund rescue Australia. Here's the zinger, I didn't buy them... one of them was rescued in an RSPCA raid on a puppy farm. I had to get all her teeth removed because they were rotted out of her mouth, hence why I make her food...But I'd still like you to pin the award to my chest

I have the means to offer ill treated dogs a second chance and they accompany me everywhere. From the legal clinic I offer my services as a solicitor for free and the schools where troubled youth improve their confidence and reading when the dogs are around to help. The kids like the sausage dogs more than my much bigger protection dog. So yeah oval office, I'm the quintessential BFC dream and white knight rolled into one. But thanks for your misinformed and (obvious) unqualified spiel on dog genetics.

Mixed breed dogs are a consensus fallacy. Pes varus is not a condition exclusive to inbreeding or particular breeds... Ever wonder why military dogs, police dogs, guide dogs, bomb detection dogs are usually a certain particular breed? You probably don't. You don't even know the difference between inbreeding, 'pure bred' and 'designer breeding.' Just like you don't know that a dachshund was a purpose built hunting dog and you can get healthy ones.

Now I'm thinking of buying a horse to ride to work to really get this thread all aggravated. THE AUDACITY!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Moneyball posted:

You should be put down based on your posting alone. Afterwards I'll send flowers to your sister/cousin/mother and it will be GWM since one person covers all of those.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Oh_Yeah posted:

Now I'm thinking of buying a horse to ride to work to really get this thread all aggravated. THE AUDACITY!

Just hope it doesn't get scared at a squirrel and kill a cyclist in response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Oh_Yeah posted:

They are rescues from dachshund rescue Australia. Here's the zinger, I didn't buy them... one of them was rescued in an RSPCA raid on a puppy farm. I had to get all her teeth removed because they were rotted out of her mouth, hence why I make her food...But I'd still like you to pin the award to my chest

I have the means to offer ill treated dogs a second chance and they accompany me everywhere. From the legal clinic I offer my services as a solicitor for free and the schools where troubled youth improve their confidence and reading when the dogs are around to help. The kids like the sausage dogs more than my much bigger protection dog. So yeah oval office, I'm the quintessential BFC dream and white knight rolled into one. But thanks for your misinformed and (obvious) unqualified spiel on dog genetics.

Mixed breed dogs are a consensus fallacy. Pes varus is not a condition exclusive to inbreeding or particular breeds... Ever wonder why military dogs, police dogs, guide dogs, bomb detection dogs are usually a certain particular breed? You probably don't. You don't even know the difference between inbreeding, 'pure bred' and 'designer breeding.' Just like you don't know that a dachshund was a purpose built hunting dog and you can get healthy ones.

Maaan I am adding to the derail but I can't help myself. Your bragging is getting worse, you're also a bigger idiot than first thought. This isn't a white knight thread, this is a BWM. You got a dog you knew had bad teeth... just to show off?

1. Working dogs are different than pedigree dogs. All the types of dogs you describe might be of a specific breed but are usually not down to the inbred pedigree standard. They are continually mixed and usually do not look like their inbred counterparts, German Shepherds used in the German forces are a good example. Keep telling yourself that your dog is a hunter, then maybe go see what the old style ones actually looked like or what the ones actually bred for hunting.

Have you taken the time to look at what breeds are used in the different speculates you mentioned? Police dogs Guide Dogs A lot of breeds are used. That doesn't prove much apart from the obvious: specific breeds were bred with that work in mind.

2. Wow big words. While that one specific deformity might not be exclusive to purebeds, they do have a higher chance of inheriting a genetic disorder.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23683021
Prevalence of inherited disorders among mixed-breed and purebred dogs: 27,254 cases

quote:

No differences in expression of 13 genetic disorders were detected between purebred dogs and mixed-breed dogs (ie, hip dysplasia, hypo- and hyperadrenocorticism, cancers, lens luxation, and patellar luxation). Purebred dogs were more likely to have 10 genetic disorders, including dilated cardiomyopathy, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, and hypothyroidism. Mixed-breed dogs had a greater probability of ruptured cranial cruciate ligament.

I'm more qualified than you btw.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 14, 2016

• Locked thread