Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Well guys if the New Hampshire state primary yesterday is any indication than we won't be announcing the presidential results for 3 days.

I can't believe towns are still counting.

Or rather the counters went to bed and are resuming counting this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

OhFunny posted:

Well guys if the New Hampshire state primary yesterday is any indication than we won't be announcing the presidential results for 3 days.

I can't believe towns are still counting.

Or rather the counters went to bed and are resuming counting this morning.

Presidential elections don't gently caress around. Theyll be done much faster because of all the attention. A lot more goes into it.

I'm still with whoever it was that said it'll be called for Hillary before CA polls close.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I doubt that. I think it will be clear she won before those polls close, but she won't actually win until she gets those votes, and networks don't like to call results before the polls close

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Trump just found a hidden block in South Carolina and it had a star in it. I don't know guys, I think he may just become the superstar...

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

I doubt that. I think it will be clear she won before those polls close, but she won't actually win until she gets those votes, and networks don't like to call results before the polls close

Part of my reasoning here is the PST states aren't contentious at all for either party. So the two hours extra counting will eliminate Trump completely.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

lol this was called back in August, that the race would go back from being a 15+ point Hillary race to a 6-7 point Hillary race.

Trump still needs to win Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Colorado in some combination of four in order to have a viable path. He's not winning four of those. He'll be lucky to win even one of those. He seems to be looking for some mythical rust belt Atlantis with 100 million voters and 100 EVs that doesn't exist, and also New York for some reason.

He's still not even bothering on a GOTV operation, his organization is run by idiots that are antagonistic to the RNC, and the RNC is shuffling money towards senate races still because they can't afford to run the whole national campaign without their candidate.

If you're freaking out, take the advice of some of the other posters and take a month off, do a hobby, or volunteer for a campaign so you can actually do something constructive instead.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, Trump just threw down a blue shell! Hillary's done for! :ohdear:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Senate's a coin flip and will remain one until after the dust settles.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TheOneOutside posted:

lol this was called back in August, that the race would go back from being a 15+ point Hillary race to a 6-7 point Hillary race.

Trump still needs to win Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Colorado in some combination of four in order to have a viable path. He's not winning four of those. He'll be lucky to win even one of those. He seems to be looking for some mythical rust belt Atlantis with 100 million voters and 100 EVs that doesn't exist, and also New York for some reason.

He's still not even bothering on a GOTV operation, his organization is run by idiots that are antagonistic to the RNC, and the RNC is shuffling money towards senate races still because they can't afford to run the whole national campaign without their candidate.

If you're freaking out, take the advice of some of the other posters and take a month off, do a hobby, or volunteer for a campaign so you can actually do something constructive instead.

I'm sorry, this race is not a six point race. Try two or three.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, she just activated his trap card! Is Trump going to be the Duel Master?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kinda been buried between the Arzying and the bottom of last page, but the Newsweek article is mindbogglign to me. This is all public domain stuff, how has this stuff not been vetted before he even announced his bid for candidacy?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Pretty sure everyone thought he was a joke candidate and didn't bother.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

CelestialScribe posted:

Nope, if it were two or three she'd be under the 300 EV margin consistently for a week.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

A random snippet because holy poo poo:

quote:

This relationship puts Trump’s foreign policies in conflict with his financial interests. Earlier this year, he said South Korea should plan to shoulder its own military defense rather than relying on the United States, including the development of nuclear weapons. (He later denied making that statement, which was video-recorded.) One of the primary South Korean companies involved in nuclear energy, a key component in weapons development, is Trump’s partner—Daewoo Engineering and Construction. It would potentially get an economic windfall if the United States adopted policies advocated by Trump.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Well, either baskets or pneumonia or both tanked her numbers.

As...ugh...celestial scribe...points out, even if a poll is lovely (and the LAT one is), it's reliable so it's picking up a trend.

That kinda sucks, and if the election happened today it might be enough to pull the assload of states trump needs to eke out a 270-268 win (every swing state plus that ME district.)

Fortunately the election isn't held today and perhaps whoever these remaining swing idiots are who change their opinion from week to week will go back in the HRC column if the race reverts to Clinton doing nothing of note while Trump continues bashing himself in the dick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The question is: will anyone give a poo poo at all.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The question is: will anyone give a poo poo at all.

Front page CNN right now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Here is the full Newsweek article.

Kind of disappointing to be honest. I know that this is important, but how much of the electorate is going to think about the likelihood of Trump being influenced by foreign money literally pouring into his pockets? The NeverHillary people sure as gently caress won't care

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
I am concerned that the NewsWeek article is both too complicated and too superficially similar to the Clinton Foundation "scandal" for people to really understand or care.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Kind of disappointing to be honest. I know that this is important, but how much of the electorate is going to think about the likelihood of Trump being influenced by foreign money literally pouring into his pockets? The NeverHillary people sure as gently caress won't care

I don't think NeverHillaries would care about anything short of him making GBS threads on an american flag (and they'd still probably find excuses as to why that is ok anyway); that article is more for the undecideds, I'd say.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

CelestialScribe posted:

So what are you doing about it? Are you phone banking? Knocking on doors? Trying to work to change the race in anyway? Or just posting here in a tizzy? Yes, we have to win. Have to, this time. So go out and work for it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
40% of the voters will crawl over broken glass, rusty nails, and CS posts to vote Trump. However, only 3-5% of the electorate, max, will vote Trump that isn't in that group.

Edit: to be fair Hillary has the same 40%.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 14, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

QuarkJets posted:

Pneumonia coverage was enough to swing that LA Times poll by 5-6 points. It doesn't even matter what's being covered at this point. Feels like the electorate just reacts to whatever the negative story of the week is.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Oh, that 5pts USC/LA poll from earlier? Assumes 18% black vote for Trump. That seems a tiny bit high to me?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol add Qaddafi to the long list of people from whom Trump has stolen money

quote:

But for the Trump Organization, Qaddafi was not a murdering terrorist; he was a prospect who might bring the company financing and the opportunity to build a resort on the Mediterranean coast of Libya. According to an Arab financier and a former businessman from the North African country, Trump made entreaties to Qaddafi and other members of his government, beginning in 2008, in which he sought deals that would bring cash to the Trump Organization from a sovereign wealth fund called the Libyan Investment Authority. The following year, Trump offered to lease his estate in Westchester County, New York, to Qaddafi; he took Qaddafi’s money but, after local protests, forbade him from staying at his property. (Trump kept the cash.) “I made a lot of money with Qaddafi,’’ Trump said recently about the Westchester escapade. “He paid me a fortune.”

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Remember when Mitt Romney got attacked for his blind trusts having conflicts of interest and he correctly pointed out that it was a blind trust so how the gently caress would he have known? And people cared?

Trump has some magical NOTHING MATTERS forcefield.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
National polls already aren't that useful, and the LAT one is particularly bad. PEC still has Clinton at 83/90% chance to win :unsmith: it's gonna be ok, particularly if you donate or volunteer!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

National polls are plenty useful because they drag state polls with them. Nothing we've seen indicates that when Clinton had a massive lead it was because of California and New York while OH and FL stood still. Similarly, Trump isn't making all his gains in Texas while the swing states remain unchanged.

The LAT poll isn't accurate, but it IS reliable. It's like a broke-rear end thermometer that thinks it's always four degrees warmer than it really is. Still plenty useful so long as you remember its bias.

None of the tracking models have a way of factoring in "campaign-fuckuping fuckups," either. Arguably, they shouldn't, since all campaigns have stupid real or media-made gaffes that turn out not to make a difference. (Proceed governor and there you go again are cited as game changers when there's no evidence either did anything.) but if for some stupidass reason baskets or pneumonia is somehow a massive permanent fuckup, it's going to take a while for models to reflect that since they have to see it in polling.

I still think HRC is going to win, obviously, but let's not poo poo on the LAT poll or pick out single findings like the AA vote in an effort to discredit it. That way lies unskewing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

CelestialScribe posted:

That's something, at least.

And no, I'm not going to stop watching. This isn't just about one election. This is about the future of civilization. If Trump gets his hands on nukes, he will use them. God knows what happens to us after that.

How that isn't crystal clear to everyone baffles me.

it's because not everyone has a mental illness like you. also at least some people here understand how polls work, and electoral maps.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

botany posted:

it's because not everyone has a mental illness like you. also at least some people here understand how polls work, and electoral maps.

I'm personally leaning towards CS being a really lame troll that will make a ~puppetmaster~ post after the election.

But being literally retarded is very plausible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nachos posted:

Front page CNN right now

Hopefully this and the Trump Foundation investigation scandal get some consistent coverage.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Hopefully this and the Trump Foundation investigation scandal get some consistent coverage.

:lol: yeah right, hillary clinton will fart or something today thus justifying the media spending no time on how trump is literally being bribed by foreign governments.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/colin-powell-calls-trump-national-disgrace-hacked-emails-n648011

quote:

The contents of the emails were first reported by Buzzfeed News. It said the messages had been obtained by the website DCLeaks.com which MSNBC reported is rumored to have ties to Russian intelligence services.

Powell called Trump a "national disgrace" and "international pariah" in a June 17 email to a former aide, saying the Republican presidential contender was "in the process of destroying himself, no need for Dems to attack him."
A subsequent email to the same former aide on Aug. 21 slammed Trump for spurring the "racist" so-called "birther" movement — the consistently debunked rumor that President Barack Obama was born in another country.

"Yup, the whole birther movement was racist," Powell wrote, according to Buzzfeed. "That's what the 99% believe. When Trump couldn't keep that up he said he also wanted to see if the certificate noted that he was a Muslim."

There was no immediate response from the Trump campaign to the emails.

I hope Trump starts making GBS threads on Colin Powell on Twitter about this. That would be pretty hilarious.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CelestialScribe posted:

Toxx you spineless coward.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

canepazzo posted:

Oh, that 5pts USC/LA poll from earlier? Assumes 18% black vote for Trump. That seems a tiny bit high to me?

Up from NaN, eh?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axeil posted:

:lol: yeah right, hillary clinton will fart or something today thus justifying the media spending no time on how trump is literally being bribed by foreign governments.

Totally excited for the Liz Spayd article on why three front page stories on Hillary farts while ignoring Trump being entangled with foreign governments is cool and why we are all stupid for questioning the New York Times' judgement.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

canepazzo posted:

A random snippet because holy poo poo:

How a man who is such an obvious incompetent con artist crook got this close to the presidency based solely on misplaced white rage at losing complete dominance absolutely should shame us for decades to come.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TheOneOutside posted:

When Finnish newspapers started doing thinkpieces about Hillary's "health crisis" I decided I'd had enough of this poo poo. I'm not paying any attention other than the occasional podcast. If Trump wins because someone got dehydrated and had an episode of pneumonia, bring on the nuclear holocaust.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
There's a difference between poll unskewing and pointing out problems with methodology/the fact that it's a huge outlier. Unskewing as a term originated in the last couple cycles with completely unreasonable people fabricating fantastical reasons from whole cloth that +6 polls for Obama meant Romney was actually up 5.

Here we are looking at one national poll that is outside the MOE of every well-regarded pollster; at least 9 points different than those of some highly-rated neutral pollsters (ABC) and 9 points different than conservative pollsters (Rasmussen). Problems with the questions used by LAT/USC poll have already been discussed here, and 538 adjusts it to Trump +1 plus they don't even have a rating for it.

It is possible for a bad poll to be reliable and consistent, especially a tracker. That doesn't somehow make it worth arzying all over this thread about it.

emdash fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Geostomp posted:

How a man who is such an obvious incompetent con artist crook got this close to the presidency based solely on misplaced white rage at losing complete dominance absolutely should shame us for decades to come.

Same reason Fox News plays cash for gold commercials. They know how to work their audience.

• Locked thread