Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twistedmentat posted:

Posted by a goon in an earlier thread showing how many Furries are on Grindr

Mori be all like "you know what, women might be worth another shot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

The abyss staring back

The creepiest blep.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

twistedmentat posted:

I am impressed they managed to get an artillery shell, even though its just a flare

You'd think he could have found a happier picture for his waifu

Maybe they are military furries. Anyways that picture just reminds me of this classic submitted to a star citizen community thing.

Also waifus almost always look distraught.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
I've seen that picture a good dozen times but never any sort of context for it. Is there any explanation at all for what the hell is going on, or is it just an eternal mystery?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xen Tricks posted:

I've seen that picture a good dozen times but never any sort of context for it. Is there any explanation at all for what the hell is going on, or is it just an eternal mystery?

Star Citizen drives everyone who touches it mad.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

can someone summarize the star citizen thing for me please

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
People pay thousands of dollars for virtual space ships in a game that doesn't exist yet (but which promises to be every game you've ever wanted in one).

The star citizen furry photo comes from the early days when they had a section on their site where users could upload pictures of themselves and I think they were able to win something?

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Sep 14, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

can someone summarize the star citizen thing for me please

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was was with Chris Roberts, and the Word was Chris Roberts...

Basically, everyone was excited for a space game and invested a lot, money was made on the grey market and goon corporations were formed. As more and more deadlines were missed, and Roberts went back to his old tricks of promising the world and delivering nothing the goons started turning against him. Then Derek Smart enters the scene and gives us and insane platform with a lot of visibility to strike out from.

Recent developments include finding out that their head PR lady, who is also Roberts wife starred in tickle fetish videos, and is probably how they met.

Basically, the whole thing is insane, there's a good thread in Dereks subforum that collects a lot of the prime drama, while the main thread is basically impenetrable with its meme density.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

People pay thousands of dollars for virtual space ships in a game that doesn't exist yet (but which promises to be every game you've ever wanted in one).

The star citizen furry photo comes from the early days when they had a section on their site where users could upload pictures of themselves and I think they were able to win something?

If I remember correctly - I haven't paid attention to this delicious fiasco in a while - there were some absurdly wealthy dorks who were basically rebuilding their lives around the idea of playing this game, spending lots of money on super duper rigs and control schemes with which to play it, and at least more than one person said that they were both emotionally invested enough and financially prepared to retire and just literally play Star Citizen for the rest of their lives.

So it makes a certain sort of sense that such a person would completely rethink their gently caress-doll storage system and naming convention to complete their immersion

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe they are military furries. Anyways that picture just reminds me of this classic submitted to a star citizen community thing.

Also waifus almost always look distraught.

I never realized the gently caress doll bins were SC lore friendly. And whenever I hear about something spending 10K+ on SC stuff, I think of this guy.

The best part, SC basically sounds like NMS.

"But You can walk around your ship now!!!"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Data Graham posted:

Mori be all like "you know what, women might be worth another shot"

Hardly, he's a furry too. Unless he attends BLFC just for the hell of it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Megabound posted:

Then Derek Smart enters the scene and gives us and insane platform with a lot of visibility to strike out from.

Oh gods below, Derek Smart? I remember him from Usenet of old.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Groke posted:

Oh gods below, Derek Smart? I remember him from Usenet of old.

He's still insane, except now he's all about getting refunds for people who backed a failing Kickstarter campaign and hiring private investigators to dig up dirt on all the community visible employees.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Sep 14, 2016

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
And he's an SA mod now!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And he's an SA mod now!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Posted by a goon in an earlier thread showing how many Furries are on Grindr
I think the story behind this is that there was a furry convention in town

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Woodenlung posted:

I did not realize my favorite thread was back. So I am cross posting from the idiots from social medias thread

Guy goes to Thailand and snapchats friends.
:nws: :nws: :nws:

https://twitter.com/JackWilky_95/status/775052877496737792

This was hilarious. I mean gay sex warning, but hilarious nonetheless.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DrVenkman posted:

This was hilarious. I mean gay sex warning, but hilarious nonetheless.

I'm not gonna click, but I'm assuming its ladyboys.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rough Lobster posted:

If its Thailand its always ladyboys

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

twistedmentat posted:

The neckbeards expression always gets me, though I do not want to know what he is looking at

Isn't that "karate gums" on the right? Maybe from that same brony meetup?

Possibly in an earlier AUG thread, but years ago I posted an experience of going to a wake for a well-liked guy who was a brony, among other interests. From an anthropological standpoint it was both sad and surreal; I don't think I'll forget the sight of his younger sister breaking down sobbing while people walked around drinking PBR and wearing buttons depicting his "ponysona," a streaking horse with blurred genitals (because he streaked in real life, you see). I feel a bit gross for even posting it tbh because it's about someone's death, but it was an awkward experience caused by an ugly incident.

Then I saw the photos of the young guy in an open casket dressed in and surrounded by the DJ pony and realized my experience isn't a unique one. Someone here likened it to how they buried Egyptian pharaohs. We are a strange species.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Isn't that "karate gums" on the right? Maybe from that same brony meetup?

Possibly in an earlier AUG thread, but years ago I posted an experience of going to a wake for a well-liked guy who was a brony, among other interests. From an anthropological standpoint it was both sad and surreal; I don't think I'll forget the sight of his younger sister breaking down sobbing while people walked around drinking PBR and wearing buttons depicting his "ponysona," a streaking horse with blurred genitals (because he streaked in real life, you see). I feel a bit gross for even posting it tbh because it's about someone's death, but it was an awkward experience caused by an ugly incident.

Then I saw the photos of the young guy in an open casket dressed in and surrounded by the DJ pony and realized my experience isn't a unique one. Someone here likened it to how they buried Egyptian pharaohs. We are a strange species.

I know it's something that has been low key a part of the human experience forever, but why is it that more recently defining yourself entirely by the media you consume has become commonplace?

Gary was a Brony, lived a Brony, died a Brony. He had a Brony apartment, had exclusively Brony friends, was given a Brony funeral. How can something consume your life so entirely to the point where your personality is your consumption of a given media and nothing else?

It seems only recently that the hyper focused form of this has come around, going from oh Mike's a comic nerd or Greg's a Sci fi geek to James is a Whovian. Why?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Postal Parcel posted:

I think the story behind this is that there was a furry convention in town

Hence BLFC: Bsomething Lsomething Furry Convention, probably.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xen Tricks posted:

I know it's something that has been low key a part of the human experience forever, but why is it that more recently defining yourself entirely by the media you consume has become commonplace?

Gary was a Brony, lived a Brony, died a Brony. He had a Brony apartment, had exclusively Brony friends, was given a Brony funeral. How can something consume your life so entirely to the point where your personality is your consumption of a given media and nothing else?

It seems only recently that the hyper focused form of this has come around, going from oh Mike's a comic nerd or Greg's a Sci fi geek to James is a Whovian. Why?

It's always existed. The Internet just allows modern man to congregate around shared interests. People who would normally be ostracized in their town if they didn't keep their weirdness a secret can communicate with similar weirdos thousands of miles away and organize their own subculture.

It's the same reason people think the world is getting more violent or society is decaying when statistically we're getting better: modern communication technology allows you to see the problems the whole planet faces, rather than just dealing with your locale.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Xen Tricks posted:

As with any question in the form, "Why is X so much more obnoxious now than it was Y years ago," the answer is the internet.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Xen Tricks posted:

Every day I thank the stars (or my parents) that I'm a well adjusted nerd that is totally into Star Wars, the Alien franchise, video games, Monty Python, and all these other things but you would never know it because I don't make it my life.

On the other side of the coin you have my old college roommate who would never leave the house unless he was wearing a Grateful Dead tie-dye, a flat brim cap brimming with festie pins, and a hemp/potleaf medallion necklace.

I like all those things as well I just don't want to advertise the fact and make smoking weed my personality.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

those people usually are not confident enough or interesting enough to exist outside of that little bubble of pop media. usually they're so socially stunted that they can't figure out how to relate to others other than through the lens of "I'm a _____"

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
At some point, people began confusing their hobbies with their personality and their identity.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Xen Tricks posted:

I see what you mean, but I don't think it is as unique as you believe. If someone that happened to be a soldier, police officer, or fireman died, they'd get a funeral that likely defined them as such.

The other thing is that people with a passion in anything are seen as driven and motivated. It is no surprise a socially awkward person that doesn't feel like they fit in are going to ape that passion in a way that makes sense to them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rough Lobster posted:

Goin ta Thailand and not fuckin a ladyboy is like goin' to turkey and not eatin a fuckin' kabob

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Xen Tricks posted:

I'm going to be the guy that puts the blame on capitalism. Everyone's right that this has been a part of the human condition since humans became a thing, but the focus on the media (or any other product, really) they consume is based on specific brands and IPs becoming a way to identify the identify a facet of one's personality ("this is the truck real men own" "this is the computer creative free-thinkers use"). This not only makes owning the product a way to tangibly prove you are that type of person, it makes the degree which you are quantifiable, meaning owning more makes you more of that type of person. Media is easier consume regularly than a physical product, so it's going to be what more people use as a means to identify themselves.

Though, there are people identify to a specific product or brand to an almost cult-like degree.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MizPiz posted:

I'm going to be the guy that puts the blame on capitalism. Everyone's right that this has been a part of the human condition since humans became a thing, but the focus on the media (or any other product, really) they consume is based on specific brands and IPs becoming a way to identify the identify a facet of one's personality ("this is the truck real men own" "this is the computer creative free-thinkers use"). This not only makes owning the product a way to tangibly prove you are that type of person, it makes the degree which you are quantifiable, meaning owning more makes you more of that type of person. Media is easier consume regularly than a physical product, so it's going to be what more people use as a means to identify themselves.

Though, there are people identify to a specific product or brand to an almost cult-like degree.

What you're saying is communists are against bronies.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

What you're saying is communists are against bronies.

Bronies are the penultimate symbol of Western decadence. :ussr:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's the ultimate symbol then?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

What's the ultimate symbol then?

Alternatively

Here's a question for everyone, what would you choose?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Are we playing gently caress, Marry, Kill?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Snog/Marry/Avoid?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

F Murray Abraham?

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
Being political on the internet seems so easy. It's like a really lame game show where the answer to every question is "blame capitalism."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mr. 47 posted:

Being political on the internet seems so easy. It's like a really lame game show where the answer to every question is "blame capitalism."

Probably the truest statement in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Xen Tricks posted:

The thing to remember is that there has always been fanatics for many different things in the world's history. If you think about it, religion for some is no different to anime or bronie fanatics. It consumes them in very much the same way and provided them with a specific identity and group to belong with. even though religion generally has "saving your immortal soul" etc.. going for it which makes more sense.

Im not sure it really has become more commonplace but the breadth of different media types can make a person seem "unique" when really they are just part of a much wider spread idea of fanaticism.

• Locked thread