Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I think the most telling part is you actually do have access to read that paper since it's open to the public but you didn't know that because you never did,

how do you think I knew the conclusion???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i cannot control myself from destroying unhealthy people's self esteem

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Are we pretending behavioral science is actually science now?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are we picking and choosing the science we want to believe in based on whether or not it agrees with our worldview?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

Are we picking and choosing the science we want to believe in based on whether or not it agrees with our worldview?

No. Behavioral science is literally not science. Cherry picking individual studies also isn't scientific because of the severe selection bias involved in paper publication.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

To put it in a way even programmers can understand:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

No. Behavioral science is literally not science.

According to whom?

quote:

Cherry picking individual studies also isn't scientific because of the severe selection bias involved in paper publication.

Feel free to post studies that come to different conclusions on the effects of shame.

Also, lol nice webcomic. Great science you've got going there.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Germstore posted:

No. Behavioral science is literally not science. Cherry picking individual studies also isn't scientific because of the severe selection bias involved in paper publication.

it's amazing when people cherry pick studies, especially on subjects that have like no studies done on but a handful, then claim that is conclusive overwhelming evidence

like the reason climate change is a thing is because there's many multiple scientific studies done that all show this same repeated evidence, not because all the scientists took a vote and agreed on it

one study is just a puzzle piece, and sometimes its for the wrong puzzle or unusable.

(you should answer the question why behavioral science isn't science though, since it does the same peer reviewed process)

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 14, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

In behavioral science it is almost always too expensive to have a proper sample size or to actually repeat studies. And it would be too immoral to actually use the scientific method so it tends to be more data mining than science.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Germstore posted:

To put it in a way even programmers can understand:

what a horrible comic

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I know, but the point it makes is valid.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Obviously I understand why you can't take 2000 people put them in the same daily situation except for their scientifically administered shame dose, but you'll forgive me if I take less stock in those studies when taken in isolation.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
so where are your studies about the positive effects of shame? Or are you going to continue Rick Perrying it up?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

so where are your studies about the positive effects of shame? Or are you going to continue Rick Perrying it up?

I will continue to call you a baby goon for linking random abstracts you googled.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
cheers, guv'nah

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope you won't mind if I continue calling you a self-loathing piece of poo poo who puts other people down to feel better about himself

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

In behavioral science it is almost always too expensive to have a proper sample size or to actually repeat studies. And it would be too immoral to actually use the scientific method so it tends to be more data mining than science.

behavior scientist should stop designing lovely experiments and just become historians if they want to data mine human activity

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

I hope you won't mind if I continue calling you a self-loathing piece of poo poo who puts other people down to feel better about himself

are you trying to make me fat?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

runupon cracker posted:

a self-loathing piece of poo poo who puts other people down to feel better about himself

I might stick this text at the bottom of my avatar.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

And I'll have you know I'm very nice on and offline. I only give people poo poo on GBS where it's completely consensual. In fact even on GBS I don't go into threads that I know I disagree with just to call people assholes.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pistol_Pete posted:

I might stick this text at the bottom of my avatar.

gently caress, I've been dying to know more about the source of your avatar for years. Space Marine and Slanaash or whatever?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Deep down inside themselves, fat people want to be shamed. They crave and get off on negative attention. That's why they eat 3000 calories of cheese per day. Why should we deny them what they obviously so desperately crave?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

runupon cracker posted:

a single study doesn't become more credible just because there's a lack of other studies on the subject

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

runupon cracker posted:

i think you actually are his study

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How many nurses and EMTs have ruined backs because of fatties?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

How many nurses and EMTs have ruined backs because of fatties?

it approaches 100%, but if you think about it the real monsters are people that say "fat isn't healthy" on a plainly labeled thread on the shitposting subforum of a comedy website.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When you saw a man this big in 1903, he was among the fattest men alive.

But for me, it was Tuesday.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Zzulu posted:

take some drat personal responsibility

if you get kids, you owe it to them to set a god drat example

Agreed, you should set the example to be a good kind person who doesn't bully others to your kid.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

When you saw a man this big in 1903, he was among the fattest men alive.

Remember when Roseanne's sitcom was considered 'fat' for TV?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

I find it makes for a good laugh on a comedy forum, and I've been told laughter is the best medicine so..

Seriously tho, if there was some way you could stop having your dignity destroyed by shaming posts, or stop jamming food in your face, it would be amazing. Too bad that is just too much effort.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Carmant posted:

Agreed, you should set the example to be a good kind person who doesn't bully others to your kid.

I love the idea that somehow "being good and kind" means any criticism of self harming behavior is bullying.

How can you change if you can't accept the reality of your destructive behavior?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Blitter posted:

I love the idea that somehow "being good and kind" means any criticism of self harming behavior is bullying.

How can you change if you can't accept the reality of your destructive behavior?

Most fat ppl know that being fat is not good and most ppl who mae fun of the fat dont actually give a poo poo about anyones health

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fat folk wear their weakness like a full body suit and its frustrating to observe

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Like a dork wearing a fedora

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I was fat as a teenager, very fat. I sorted myself out and now am healthy and look alright. That's why I don't have much sympathy for really fat people as it does take discipline. Sure, mental illness and despair make it difficult to take action for some, but a lot are just lazy and in denial that they are unhappy.

I love this image, and the video that it's from. Great watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mMpE8AaA0

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

henpod posted:

I was fat as a teenager, very fat. I sorted myself out and now am healthy and look alright. That's why I don't have much sympathy for really fat people as it does take discipline. Sure, mental illness and despair make it difficult to take action for some, but a lot are just lazy and in denial that they are unhappy.

I love this image, and the video that it's from. Great watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mMpE8AaA0

Always good.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Not all criticism of self-harming behavior is shaming. But hey, nice straw man.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

Not all criticism of self-harming behavior is shaming. But hey, nice straw man.

How is that a straw man? It sounded like a fair point.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Zzulu posted:

Like a dork wearing a fedora

about time someone on these forums took the fedora down a notch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Wicker Man posted:

How is that a straw man? It sounded like a fair point.

you sound like an idiot. stfu

• Locked thread