Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

It also ends somewhat ambiguously, did she continue the ritual herself or let the sacrifice go, I honestly could see it go either way.

From her stance and the colors, I kind of assume she went through with the ritual, though it is ambiguous. Though there is also the question of why she's there in the first place. And apparently the censer (the smoke-emitting thing she carries around) contains the soul of her former master (presumably the guy she knifed in the comic). So yeah, Antiquarian is pretty messed up.

Edit: Also, am I the only one who, based on the narration about the Hag thinks that the Ancestor got it on with her?

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I imagine a truly canonical version of this story involves the Heir (Player Character), Reynauld and Dismas showing up first, and as they start fighting their way through the others start trickling in. The Vestal and Plague Doctor already being in town is explained by one of them being part of the Abbey and the other the Sanitarium. The Abomination is probably found haunting the Weald in beast form and brought back to study, at which point he reverts and he shares his backstory. The Grave Robber and Antiquarian show up together, because they figure this is a huge score just waiting to happen and have been working with each other for a while. So on and so forth.

It becomes a story of shared pain and working together to rebuild something grand that has fallen into disrepair. The Heir along the way learns to value other humans in a way his ancestor never did. The various heroes find some small measure of closure for their own pasts through applying some serious harm to the monsters.

Hahahahha. How delightfully positive. Too bad this is Darkest Dungeon and that's too positive for this reality.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Apep727 posted:

Edit: Also, am I the only one who, based on the narration about the Hag thinks that the Ancestor got it on with her?

Nah, remember, he's tired of conventional extravagance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

Nah, remember, he's tired of conventional extravagance.

There's nothing conventional about the extravagance you get up to with an insane self-experimenting wizard.

It's funny because it works for both of them!

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Hey, who knows what properties some of those herbs had?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Night10194 posted:

There's nothing conventional about the extravagance you get up to with an insane self-experimenting wizard.

It's funny because it works for both of them!

oh god, after hearing the intro of the second version again I'm pretty sure he at least attempted something with her.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Halser posted:

oh god, after hearing the intro of the second version again I'm pretty sure he at least attempted something with her.

"Attempted"? He said she "insisted on repeated calls to the house." I think he did a bit more that "attempt" something.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Apep727 posted:

"Attempted"? He said she "insisted on repeated calls to the house." I think he did a bit more that "attempt" something.

She obviously was interested solely in discussing herbs and their roles in various arcane practices. The Hag gives me a "no-nonsense" vibe, what with immediately putting someone in her pot the second your party shows up.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I really liked the "nah" when resisting status effect, but I disliked most of the other text edits. :shrug:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Halser posted:

She obviously was interested solely in discussing herbs and their roles in various arcane practices. The Hag gives me a "no-nonsense" vibe, what with immediately putting someone in her pot the second your party shows up.

Hey, whatever helps keep the nightmares away.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Apep727 posted:

Hey, whatever helps keep the nightmares away.

I looked at the wiki for this game. The second journal entry from the Ancestor seems to explicitly say yeah they were boinking before she got weird.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I looked at the wiki for this game. The second journal entry from the Ancestor seems to explicitly say yeah they were boinking before she got weird.

If anyone needs me, I'll be curled up in the corner. Please try to ignore the screaming.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

IF he wasn't jamming it into every orifice he was not 19th century noblemanning nearly hard enough. And we know how hard he was 19th century noblemanning.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Okay this is getting into fanfic.txt territory. Time to stop.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

awwww

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Highwang posted:

Okay this is getting into fanfic.txt territory. Time to stop.
Alright.
We'll return to this topic when we talk about the Formless Flesh.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
You can definitely avoid "Into The Pot!" with a high enough dodge. It is, in fact, one of the better ways to deal with the Hag's particular brand of bullshit. Bring a couple dodge-strong characters like the Grave Robber, HWM or Hound Master, pop +Dodge trinkets onto 'em, use a +Dodge camp skill or two and then have a Man-At-Arms spam Bolster every round. She should whiff often enough that beating her becomes fairly trivial from there.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, so this LP got me to finally boot up my Steam copy of the game. I ended up restarting twice because I screwed up - lost my Crusader in the tutorial level to DOT because I chose to screw around, and then didn't have enough people not getting de-stressed in Week 2 to run a party. Even so, I've still managed to get kinda screwed a bit:

- I sent my first Vestal to pray to de-stress, only to find out the Crusader can only de-stress by prayer, and then she decided to stay there for an extra week (and lost be $1000, too). My second Vestal can only be de-stressed by going to the brothel, and the rear end in a top hat Caretaker was in there, so she was kind of SOL.

- Because I didn't want to send my Crusader back out there (he was at ~50 stress), I ended up having to send out a party consisting of a Houndmaster, newby Vestal, Antiquarian, and my semi-stressed Plague Doctor. The PD ended up on Death's Door a few times in one fight, but since it was a "Do all the room battles" dungeon, and I finished it with that fight, I scampered.

- Several of my characters have gotten too-stressed and picked up some bad traits. Luckily, I've now got ~10 people, including a new Bounty Hunter and Plague Doctor, and most of my roster isn't too stressed, so with any luck, I can start making a decent run of things.

Still, the RNG gods have not been kind.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
the difficulty in the early game is making do with terrible equipment(your equipment is heroes by the way). It's how it works. Later on you'll have excellent heroes but you'll need to use them perfectly in order to not get crushed.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
The LP is really good, the dank meme edits are really bad and dragging it down. I'd recommend leaving at least the skill names alone, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dropbear posted:

The LP is really good, the dank meme edits are really bad and dragging it down. I'd recommend leaving at least the skill names alone, too.

"I'm playing a game that succeeds on the strength of its atmosphere and tone. It is time for more memes!" is an unconventional move that is not working out.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Night10194 posted:

"I'm playing a game that succeeds on the strength of its atmosphere and tone. It is time for more memes!" is an unconventional move that is not working out.

I agree, X-Com lends itself to that B-movie unserious tone where you can be sniggering when aliens fall through holes you blew in rooftops or deploying soldiers dressed like Mad Max rejects. In Darkest Dungeon, we should be laughing at the terrible things happening in your run, not at the game language.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I got a few chortles out of the new names. If I'd played the game before and knew how it was all going down, I'd appreciate the levity; as a first-timer, though, the tone mismatch is jarring.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Grievances are duly noted. Once the two-episode backlog is over, old data will return.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's not a big deal, just I love the original tone and the fantastic art.

Man, this game has such good art design.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Highwang posted:

Grievances are duly noted. Once the two-episode backlog is over, old data will return.

In retrospect I think your idea would be great if it wasn't the first comprehensive LP on SA. You're kinda writing the big one here that will end up on the LP Archives for lots of people to view and teach them about the game; ergo the funny texts may cause some confusion.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
From his previous posts I thought that the funny mod would be a thing that would pop up sometimes during the LP, not a permanent thing.

It will probably be a good idea to turn it on every one in a while later, when you're mostly going through the motions and getting people leveled in unimportant dungeons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Nooooooooooooooooo

I love the text changes.

Don't listen to these goons, they have bad opinions like most goons. Listen to me, a goon with actually good opinions.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, on Week 5 now, I think. I have two decent front-line guys (Crusader and Bounty Hunter), and that's bothering me, because they're both de-stressing (because Reynaud decided he needed to spend an extra week praying, drat him). I also picked up an Abomination, but I haven't taken him out yet, because all my decent healers are Vestals.

The RNG is not liking me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the idea of using them for the relatively grindy gathering runs is a decent compromise, maybe.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yeah, don't trash the changes. Keep 'em around for varieties sake since after all, the ease and depth of moddability of Darkest Dungeon is also something to be shown off.

Bring 'em every once in awhile to living things up a bit. Thread/others suggestions for them included :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, don't trash the changes. Keep 'em around for varieties sake since after all, the ease and depth of moddability of Darkest Dungeon is also something to be shown off.

Bring 'em every once in awhile to living things up a bit. Thread/others suggestions for them included :v:

Seconding this motion.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

For unique fights like bosses or when there is a significant potential to see new monsters, I say leave the text unmodded. Part of the LP experience is to show what the game is like, so I feel it is best to at least have a few records where the text is unaltered for posterity. After that, do whatever pleases you. Its your LP and we want you to have fun showing the game off, too.

NeverAfter
Apr 20, 2016

Just use the joke mod during gimmick runs. Like four Jesters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, if we're not using the mod generally, at least bust it out when you're doing a dumb level short one mission grinding a bunch of dudes up because you just got your A-team killed.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm another in the 'use the joke mod on routine or gimmick runs' camp. Due to an excess of Jade Star's Enemy Within LP I want to suggest 'BOOSH!' for the crit popup but that's probably a little too injokey.

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 16, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

God drat you goons sure do go on about something not overly important.

Speaking of mods are there any others you're planning to show off? I believe there are some anime ones on the darkest dungeon nexus.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Spudd posted:

God drat you goons sure do go on about something not overly important.

My immersion is important. :colbert:

I had a laugh with some of the names, but I agree with most goons the most vocal goons that it kinda ruins the atmosphere of the game. Used sparingly it's funny, but all the chapters like that will become tiresome. The only theme-appropriate mod would be to change all the Jester's lines to appropriate rock lyrics.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Rotating, single-band-themed jester quote sets would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Rotating, single-band-themed jester quote sets would be cool.

I see what you're getting at, that's how we work the Jojo reference into this!

• Locked thread