Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dang that's a lot I'll pick it up when the price drops at some point! Also when I turned it on today to see if it needed to download any patches before I played it this weekend it started downloading 30GBs :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I don't have House of Wolves or Dark Below and the wiki said they're not for sale anymore but I need them for The Taken King, are they included with it now then? I don't play much Destiny but it's the only game I play online with a pal and we play every now and then.
If you already have destiny base game, taken king is $19.99 on the PSN store (i assume xbox one too) and it includes dark below & house of wolves

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roman posted:

If you already have destiny base game, taken king is $19.99 on the PSN store (i assume xbox one too) and it includes dark below & house of wolves

Ah that sounds much more like it! Thanks!

e: What happens if I have the Taken King expansion and my pal does not? Can we still play together?

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 14, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

poor life choice posted:

Wait, can you progress punch/grenade/super kills, TLW chaperone %, and/or 6+ weapon kill rounds for the mountain top quest line in private matches?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Definately shaxxfall stuff. Would need a scrub who hasn't done all the other stuff to weigh in to confirm.

Scrub PSA: last night I was able to complete the first step of the Chaperone quest line in private matches. If the other team drops out of your fireteam after you get a kill it ends the round and you get 3-4% completion. A full cycle from start of round to returning to orbit/rejoining fireteam can be about 2 minutes.

Shaxxfall bounties work (for now?). Couldn't progress any other PvP quest line (subclass melee kills, 6+ hand cannon kills in a round pre-Mountaintop). Not sure if the Imprecation head shots can be completed in private.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

poor life choice posted:

Scrub PSA: last night I was able to complete the first step of the Chaperone quest line in private matches. If the other team drops out of your fireteam after you get a kill it ends the round and you get 3-4% completion. A full cycle from start of round to returning to orbit/rejoining fireteam can be about 2 minutes.

Shaxxfall bounties work (for now?). Couldn't progress any other PvP quest line (subclass melee kills, 6+ hand cannon kills in a round pre-Mountaintop). Not sure if the Imprecation head shots can be completed in private.

Embarrassing

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

e: What happens if I have the Taken King expansion and my pal does not? Can we still play together?

This is one of these scenarios you only find in science books but never in real life. Like that cat in the box with poison.

I am sorry but I don't know what would happen, or can make theories about what can happen. Is possible that the game will not let the activity to start, or not let the not-having person to join.
But the data is already on the disc even if you have not bought the expansion.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FishBulb posted:

Embarrassing

I'm fine with all this now that we can literally 1v1 me bro to settle honor feuds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal
If a player doesn't have TTK they can still play with anyone in Y1 content but not in any TTK-exclusive activities. So nothing set on the Dreadnaught, no Y2 strikes (including the heroic and nightfall playlists), none of the new missions, etc.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FishBulb posted:

Embarrassing

Accurately describes nearly all the attention to Private Matches. You know, that's why Bungie dropped a ton of ghosts in, because 99.9% of players have no other business being there. You have a clan that plays constantly, cool, but really, unless your friends lists is pages long every day and all those people are wanting to do the same exact stuff with the same people as you, and spend all the time necessary for facilitating it, it's going to be nothing but the sad-rear end 1v1s I was seeing happen.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Embarrassing

rumble me bruh u wont cuz u a scrub

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Did 2 CoE cards last night. Got 2 Queen's Choices.

I have still never received a Soulstealer's Claw

I wanna punch a deej

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/CqwR0un.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/HwOEit8.gifv

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

If a player doesn't have TTK they can still play with anyone in Y1 content but not in any TTK-exclusive activities. So nothing set on the Dreadnaught, no Y2 strikes (including the heroic and nightfall playlists), none of the new missions, etc.

Okay so then I will wait until he has it too before buying TTK myself. I assume it's fine to purchase TTK after playing through a lot of the base game content?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

cvnvcnv posted:

Accurately describes nearly all the attention to Private Matches. You know, that's why Bungie dropped a ton of ghosts in, because 99.9% of players have no other business being there. You have a clan that plays constantly, cool, but really, unless your friends lists is pages long every day and all those people are wanting to do the same exact stuff with the same people as you, and spend all the time necessary for facilitating it, it's going to be nothing but the sad-rear end 1v1s I was seeing happen.

you are a sad person

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

FishBulb posted:

I wanna punch a deej

You do know that Soulstealer's Claw drops from rank up and not from the 30k card right?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The Meat Dimension posted:

You do know that Soulstealer's Claw drops from rank up and not from the 30k card right?

Uh I think it's pretty clear that I don't.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 14, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

cvnvcnv posted:

lmao what happened to the staggering PS4 presence I always hear about

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FishBulb posted:

No

gently caress me

Yeah HoJ rankups are a whore.

triple tap your card with a booster.
run a quick 41 to finish HoJ bounties with a booster.
crack out a Skolas speed run.

every week. so you can get a class item and not a Soulstealer.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

moist turtleneck posted:

They aren't PVP obsessed

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FishBulb posted:

They aren't PVP obsessed

you don't have to be "pvp obsessed" to have amazing fun with private matches. Get some buddies and make up stupid rules. NLB only, melee only, whatever. Christ its like you people are allergic to having fun with friends.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

cvnvcnv posted:

did you never play halo bro? private lobbies were the poo poo and once you got a few people together by inviting friends or randos from BTB you'd be set for hours. and this was like 3 years into halo 2s lifespan

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

FishBulb posted:

I wanna punch a deej

*unfurls massive cock*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Like you don't even have to be friends with these people anymore, just send invites to people in your Destiny Clan. We played with Bone Krew members we didn't even know existed yesterday

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

Huh? I've never requested private matches in any form, and it's beyond rare for me to ever roll with goons. I simply acknowledge that the party isn't being thrown for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

did you never play halo bro? private lobbies were the poo poo and once you got a few people together by inviting friends or randos from BTB you'd be set for hours. and this was like 3 years into halo 2s lifespan

In Halo you could set up bizarro rules and gimmick matches, here not so much.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

cvnvcnv posted:

Huh? I've never requested private matches in any form, and it's beyond rare for me to ever roll with goons. I simply acknowledge that the party isn't being thrown for me.

I never said you did?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

cvnvcnv posted:

I simply acknowledge that the party isn't being thrown for me.

This is literally :goonsay:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
cvnvcnv, master of sub tier pvp, hates playing with people that may own him in a place with no SBMM

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

moist turtleneck posted:

Like you don't even have to be friends with these people anymore, just send invites to people in your Destiny Clan. We played with Bone Krew members we didn't even know existed yesterday

People should probably consolidate ps4 clans because there was more than 1 since the start and now they're all partial and unfilled.

haveblue posted:

In Halo you could set up bizarro rules and gimmick matches, here not so much.

Yeah private matches in Destiny don't let you do much except pick who you are playing against which is fine and I'm glad they added it but I dunno id rather just play regular PVP with my pals :shrug:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FishBulb posted:

People should probably consolidate ps4 clans because there was more than 1 since the start and now they're all partial and unfilled.

Much like the lives of PS4 owners.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Yeah private matches in Destiny don't let you do much except pick who you are playing against which is fine and I'm glad they added it but I dunno id rather just play regular PVP with my pals :shrug:

Well keep in mind they bolted this feature onto a two year old code base.

I expect that the Destiny 2 branch has a lot of fresh engineering dumped into it and will have better support for any new features they've been working on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal
That's assuming private matches are actually a priority and not a sop to end complaints à la voice chat.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Private matches in Destiny can have whatever rules you want you just need to be capable of having a discussion with your bros about what the rules are and be the type of person who isn't going to to be a dick about them.

We quickly settled on a modified sweat rule for heavy in 3s where you can pull it and then once the other team has been wiped you put it away and never use it again.

I spent an entire 10 kill streak in skirmish with 40 thunderlord rounds sitting in my stash unused because I'm not a prick.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

cvnvcnv, master of sub tier pvp, hates playing with people that may own him in a place with no SBMM
You caught me, I see the future and have never even mentioned private games and never play with goons as to preemptively excuse myself once this day inevitably arrived :golfclap:

My friends and I queue up just fine, and none of us give a drat about thirty minute time limits.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I know these people have different names but in actuality they were all cnv

http://i.imgur.com/uhzhf7N.gifv

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

moist turtleneck posted:

I know these people have different names but in actuality they were all cnv

http://i.imgur.com/uhzhf7N.gifv

shameful bone bros

lol at frozen noticing a fraction of a second too late. i can hear the oh fuZAP

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!"

lmao You are tho, seeing as I'm happily playing with my friends and you're being a little bitch, on an internet forum, about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Private matches are like going to sports practice (but obvs a cool sport like American football or rugby or basketball) and getting sweaty and flexing and talking poo poo on your bros but in the end everyone is on the same team, I just wish we could all shower together afterwards.

• Locked thread