Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Phantasia GBA owns for translating "ragnarok" as "kangaroo" because someone ran the script through microsoft word spell check real quick and didn't notice that change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

the wizards beard posted:

Backlit TFT LCD displays for gameboy, apparently better quality than the 101 gba: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1051244254989027&substory_index=0&id=940780776035376

Oh poo poo :eyepop:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

sinking belle posted:

Phantasia GBA owns for translating "ragnarok" as "kangaroo" because someone ran the script through microsoft word spell check real quick and didn't notice that change

That's pretty incredible

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dang! Can someone with better technical knowledge of how this works explain the process? That's pretty cool.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

sinking belle posted:

El psy kangaroo.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

sinking belle posted:

Still better than the fan translation of the Super Famicom version that was infamous for adding tons of dirty jokes where none existed. i.e. “I bet Arche fucks like a Tiger.”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cloks posted:

El psy kangaroo.

this is the will of steve's gate

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Instant Sunrise posted:

Still better than the fan translation of the Super Famicom version that was infamous for adding tons of dirty jokes where none existed. i.e. “I bet Arche fucks like a Tiger.”

I love 90-00's fan translations

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

I love 90-00's fan translations

and of course, when official localizations for some reason didn't include the added swearing that fan translations would have, all those people would suddenly cry "censorship!"

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

been a while since i've posted pick ups, but i've picked up a few games recently.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

liquid courage posted:

been a while since i've posted pick ups, but i've picked up a few games recently.

excellent choices

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ambitious Spider posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I always wanted to dip my toe in those waters and for 5 bucks can't go wrong

No problem, glad my cheap-rear end curiosity might be of use to you!

On that note:

Super Mario Bros. on my RGBNES-modded AV Famicom through S-Video, into the $5 "Easycap" I bought.

EDIT: It also works with the S-Video mod that Monitor Burn did on my Genesis, which I expected, but it was good to confirm it.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 14, 2016

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008
Hey retro thread - I'm having a weird issue with my Genesis (2nd model) and I'm wondering if someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

After a few minutes of playing something (it doesn't seem to matter what), the audio/video starts flipping out like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGd4fl8WwF8

Eventually the game either freezes completely or crashes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkS62GdAQ8

It's connected to video via RF (yeah, I know) and to power via a Sega Trio adapter. It's usually connected to a Sega CD and 32X, though it does that when it's by itself too. Is this thing fried?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

InvadErGII posted:

It's connected to video via RF (yeah, I know) and to power via a Sega Trio adapter. It's usually connected to a Sega CD and 32X, though it does that when it's by itself too. Is this thing fried?
My guess is that something is overheating or failing once it gets warm. Maybe the 7805, maybe the video chip, maybe the RF module. Probably not the CPU, since I'd expect that to result in faster lockups and a different kind of video corruption. There are things you can test, if you have the tools, but if not and given how cheap a new Genesis is... Maybe just get another one?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 14, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

InvadErGII posted:

Hey retro thread - I'm having a weird issue with my Genesis (2nd model) and I'm wondering if someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

After a few minutes of playing something (it doesn't seem to matter what), the audio/video starts flipping out like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGd4fl8WwF8

Eventually the game either freezes completely or crashes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkS62GdAQ8

If it's a few minutes and if it occurs even if you let it sit at a title screen, my first reaction is that there's some kind of heat issue. Now IIRC, the Genesis is usually fine at dissipating its own heat without even a proper heat sink so it points to a deeper problem, but it's a starting point. So what I'd do is open the system up and take a look at the board. If it's had soda spilled all over it or been in a place with chain smokers or there's a giant nest of spiders or it has been drinking the blood of the innocent, then there's going to be gunky residue on the board. Too much in the right place and the heat builds up as the system runs. If you find this (don't bother if you don't find something inside), then clean the board and give it another try.

I suspect the problem is going to be a damaged component building up the heat and causing the failure in which case there isn't a hell of a lot you can do. Someone with testing equipment, spare parts, and some skill at replacing parts on a board could possible identify and replace it, but it's really not viable for a model 2 Genesis.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
A new 7805 voltage regulator is like 99 cents and is really easy to change, but yeah I wouldn't go through much more effort than that for a Genesis 2.

HMC
May 18, 2009

I'm having a weirdly specific issue with my N64. I bought a cheap S-Video cable for my SNES/N64/GCN, and it works fine. When I'm just playing games on my CRT all three consoles work fine. I can wire it into my Elgato Game Capture HD to record game footage without issue, using the Elgato's HDMI out to output to my computer monitor's (ASUS VE228) so I can play while I record video. For some reason, though, the N64 feed appears in the Elgato software, but my monitor doesn't get the signal. I can get it through composite just fine, and S-Video works for the SNES and Gamecube, but for some reason ONLY the combination of N64 and S-Video just doesn't work with my monitor (I don't have an HD TV currently, so I have no other modern display to test it on), and I have no idea what might be causing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Miles McCloud posted:

A new 7805 voltage regulator is like 99 cents and is really easy to change, but yeah I wouldn't go through much more effort than that for a Genesis 2.

I am going to ask a real stupid question here but why exactly are voltage regulators a thing? From what I understand, they take 110V from the wall and then it gets stepped down to 5V. Here is where I get confused. The SNES has a huge wall wart, which is a step-down transformer itself. So why doesn't the wall wart just step down to 5V? Why does it go to 10V and then 5V "inside" the system? What's the difference?

And a separate question but since the SNES runs off of 5V, does that mean it can run off of a USB cable for power?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions. I am pretty decent at modding and should know this stuff.

HMC posted:

I'm having a weirdly specific issue with my N64. I bought a cheap S-Video cable for my SNES/N64/GCN, and it works fine. When I'm just playing games on my CRT all three consoles work fine. I can wire it into my Elgato Game Capture HD to record game footage without issue, using the Elgato's HDMI out to output to my computer monitor's (ASUS VE228) so I can play while I record video. For some reason, though, the N64 feed appears in the Elgato software, but my monitor doesn't get the signal. I can get it through composite just fine, and S-Video works for the SNES and Gamecube, but for some reason ONLY the combination of N64 and S-Video just doesn't work with my monitor (I don't have an HD TV currently, so I have no other modern display to test it on), and I have no idea what might be causing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

PAL N64 by any chance? The European N64 didn't have s-video capabilities for some strange reason. Maybe that's the issue?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am going to ask a real stupid question here but why exactly are voltage regulators a thing? From what I understand, they take 110V from the wall and then it gets stepped down to 5V. Here is where I get confused. The SNES has a huge wall wart, which is a step-down transformer itself. So why doesn't the wall wart just step down to 5V? Why does it go to 10V and then 5V "inside" the system? What's the difference?

It may be that it was simply easier for them to get 10 volt output wall warts manufactured, than to get 5 volt ones that would be reliable enough. There also might have originally been plans to use more different voltages in the system.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

PAL N64 by any chance? The European N64 didn't have s-video capabilities for some strange reason. Maybe that's the issue?
He said it works fine on the CRT, which wouldn't be the case with-s-video on a PAL N64.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

And a separate question but since the SNES runs off of 5V, does that mean it can run off of a USB cable for power?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions. I am pretty decent at modding and should know this stuff.

Back when these consoles were made switching power supplies and switching regulators didn't exist.

Transforming 120/220v AC to DC was not very accurate and actually the voltage would jump around. The solution was to pick a medium close to the desired voltage and burn off the excess thus 9/10V stepping to 5V via regulators with heat sinks became a thing. Stepping DC voltage down is much easier as it's mostly constant versus AC which is a wave.

The reason why you want a constant level is certain ICs had very strict min/max voltage which would break functionality

flyboi fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 15, 2016

HMC
May 18, 2009

Nah, it's NTSC. It works fine connected directly to my CRT, and when it's hooked up to the Elgato through composite it displays on the Elgato software AND outputs through the HDMI to my monitor just fine, same with SNES and GCN with the same S-video cable. With the S-video AND the N64, however, it displays in the Elgato software but NOT on my monitor (which I need because the software preview has several seconds of delay). It's just super-weird to me that THAT very specific configuration wouldn't work when every other one does.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody using SNES9x on Vita know how to "re-associate" saves or something? The SRM files are there, they even load properly if I port them to my PC emulator, but on Vita they're not recognized at all. I'm pointing to the correct folder, it just doesn't see it.

Kind of frustrating because it's keeping up my 20 year long curse of stopping Secret of Mana midway. Thankfully the save isn't lost I just have to play it elsewhere and being able to play in bed on Vita is the best option.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Hi hello here's a fun thing I did:

http://gamepreservation.tumblr.com/post/150411590134/every-earthbound-review

I pulled out and scanned every review of EarthBound to get a feel for why it didn't catch on. Them 1995 gamers were REALLY MAD at the art style. Literally all of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

I pulled out and scanned every review of EarthBound to get a feel for why it didn't catch on. Them 1995 gamers were REALLY MAD at the art style. Literally all of them.

I remember the look of Earthbound being really unpopular. I still don't like it, though it's more because I feel it's not very functional for the gameplay.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I can't imagine the marketing on it did anything to help it when the ad taglines literally said "This game stinks!" either.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never understood either because it looked like an animated cartoon. Everyone who said it looked like the NES game are like the people who said Street Fighter 5 looked like 4. You have to be literally blind.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I never understood either because it looked like an animated cartoon. Everyone who said it looked like the NES game are like the people who said Street Fighter 5 looked like 4. You have to be literally blind.

For years I actually thought the SNES game was the NES game, just "converted" to the SNES with minimal graphical upgrades. In all fairness to me, I had read about "Earth Bound" in Nintendo Power and I just assumed they ported it to the SNES instead. So for years that's why I thought the game had wacky graphics. Maybe these game reviewers didn't know about Mother and thought the same thing I did?

fishmech posted:

It may be that it was simply easier for them to get 10 volt output wall warts manufactured, than to get 5 volt ones that would be reliable enough. There also might have originally been plans to use more different voltages in the system.

flyboi posted:

Back when these consoles were made switching power supplies and switching regulators didn't exist.

Transforming 120/220v AC to DC was not very accurate and actually the voltage would jump around. The solution was to pick a medium close to the desired voltage and burn off the excess thus 9/10V stepping to 5V via regulators with heat sinks became a thing. Stepping DC voltage down is much easier as it's mostly constant versus AC which is a wave.

The reason why you want a constant level is certain ICs had very strict min/max voltage which would break functionality

OK this makes sense, thank you. But then only makes me wonder why the hell the NES used AC.

Doc Morbid posted:

He said it works fine on the CRT, which wouldn't be the case with-s-video on a PAL N64.

HMC posted:

Nah, it's NTSC. It works fine connected directly to my CRT, and when it's hooked up to the Elgato through composite it displays on the Elgato software AND outputs through the HDMI to my monitor just fine, same with SNES and GCN with the same S-video cable. With the S-video AND the N64, however, it displays in the Elgato software but NOT on my monitor (which I need because the software preview has several seconds of delay). It's just super-weird to me that THAT very specific configuration wouldn't work when every other one does.

Sorry about that! Not sure how I missed that. I guess as soon as I saw "N64 not putting out s-video" I assumed that had to be it. That really is a perplexing problem. Does the N64 output at a different resolution when over s-video or something? I am trying to think of something that could cause this. I found that the PAL N64 actually does have the capabilities to output s-video, it's just that it needs resistors. So the only thing I can come up with is that on the luma or chroma signal, the N64 has an output that your capture card does not like. Perhaps too strong on one of the signals. Your TV is OK with it but your capture card is a bit more picky. It's the only thing I can think of.

TheRedEye posted:

That drat Game Player's magazine review. I was so mad about it back in 95. A 69%? What the hell? That should be for some vanilla crap like Bubsy or Socks the Cat.

I remember they printed one letter from someone really pissed about it getting a 69% and their response was "stop writing to us about this! 69% is a good score!". Yeah OK, I came home with a 69% on my math test and was punished for a week. They aren't kidding anyone. There's no way the reviewer played it for more than 2 hours.

Speaking of which I really did like the "out of 100" scale that Game Player's used. A lot of people hated it for some reason (most people say a scale from 1-5 is optimal but I am not sure why). I feel like a 5 is not that difficult of a score to get, but a 100% is near impossible. So high numbers gave a lot of wiggle room to differentiate between a great game like Super Punch Out and an amazing game like Chrono Trigger. On a 1 to 5 scale both games should get a 5. But on a scale of 100, I don't think Super Punch Out should get a 100%. Sounds weird but that's the way my brain liked it and I wish other magazines used it. It was so fun seeing what game would finally dethrone Super Metroid's 93%.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

OK this makes sense, thank you. But then only makes me wonder why the hell the NES used AC.
It seems like a major difference (AC vs DC?!?) but really it's not. There are just a couple small parts put inside the NES instead of the wall wart, where they would usually go. You even feed the NES DC (as I do) and those parts are effectively bypassed.

I have to imagine they did it for cost reasons? If I had to guess I'd say that inside the NES wall wart is just a transformer and some wires, no PCB at all. By eliminating that part, they might have cut the price of the adapter by a bunch.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 15, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The NES will actually run fine with DC in on the power port because of the hardware they used. So I think it's just a case of "it was cheaper"?

al-azad posted:

"Looks like a cartoon" and "looks like an NES game" aren't mutually exclusive in the least. The style they used evokes both.

The people probably would have complained less if the game was coming out in say 1991 or 1992 versus 1995 though. Remember that it came out against things like Donkey Kong Country that were attempting to go as "high res" prerendered 3D with the graphics as the system could handle, which people were jizzing themselves over as such good graphics.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think likely at the time it made sense to differentiate NES from Atari in some fashion but I don't know much about consoles from that time. I do know though that Atari had their own issues with wall warts like the 5200 arcing when you plugged the adapter in. Also none of the ICs in the Nintendo are very complex or volatile to voltage jitter like later consoles were.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

It's the flat look with minimal color palette that does it. SNES games generally didn't have that low detail style and it's a lot closer to what could be done on the NES.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

The NES will actually run fine with DC in on the power port because of the hardware they used. So I think it's just a case of "it was cheaper"?

"Looks like a cartoon" and "looks like an NES game" aren't mutually exclusive in the least. The style they used evokes both.

The people probably would have complained less if the game was coming out in say 1991 or 1992 versus 1995 though. Remember that it came out against things like Donkey Kong Country that were attempting to go as "high res" prerendered 3D with the graphics as the system could handle, which people were jizzing themselves over as such good graphics.

In this case it is because it looks nothing like a NES game. FF4 is more simplistic like a NES title so I can't argue against you, just gently caress anyone who used NES game as a pejorative.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

In this case it is because it looks nothing like a NES game. FF4 is more simplistic like a NES title so I can't argue against you, just gently caress anyone who used NES game as a pejorative.

It was 1995. It would be like saying a game has PS2 graphics today.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Even if the aesthetic was low res, the NES couldn't have handled the sprite variety or game palette. Even as a dumb kid I knew it belonged on the SNES, despite it not being fauxCGI jizz.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

If FF4 had launched in 1995 instead of 1991 like it actually did, you'd probably have seen people complaining it looked "like an NES title" too. It's just a factor of releasing early vs late. And also this:

Random Stranger posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It is the one video game thing I'm unironically mad about. I remember renting the game in '95 thinking it was so visually striking. Onett kind of reminded me The Simpsons in its palette and crazy characters.

Oh well, history has been kinder to it than most games.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah ironically Earthbound still looks good to me today but Super Mario RPG looks really bad.

Keep in mind that I do love Super Mario RPG's graphics. But it's unique in that it looks absolutely abysmal on anything other than a CRT. Still looks good on a CRT though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the subject of terrible RPG's, I got the stupid idea to actually finish Final Fantasy 8.

Goddamn, it is so badly written and nonsensical while trying to be serious and it's all so dragged out. I mean I should have expected that, but it's been seven or eight years since I played a Final Fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I thought Chrono Trigger wiped the floor with Earthbound back then and I still do today :colbert:

• Locked thread