Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

In a really strange way, tony and the shotgun is probably one of the few truly 'feel good' stories to come out of the podcast.

I found the one about the weirdo obsessed with the Boston Marathon had some touching and even inspiring moments. Even the "villain" of the story ends up coming across as very likeable and sympathetic in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DangerDummy! posted:

I found the one about the weirdo obsessed with the Boston Marathon had some touching and even inspiring moments. Even the "villain" of the story ends up coming across as very likeable and sympathetic in the end.

The marathon nut was much more "feel good" to me than the shotgun guy. If the hostage hadn't lost his job and his business and turned into a wreck afterwards, the shotgun might not be as depressing.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Are there any particularly bad or boring episodes one should avoid?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Are there any particularly bad or boring episodes one should avoid?

This is a matter of personal preference, but I dislike a lot of the medical ones. The Childbirth in America one really got my goat in particular, but I have the necessary equipment for that and it really freaked me out.

The Jade Helm, Iraq War, and Ferguson ones were really upsetting too, but in a different way. I'd say give those a try if you can stand it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elitist Bitch posted:

This is a matter of personal preference, but I dislike a lot of the medical ones. The Childbirth in America one really got my goat in particular, but I have the necessary equipment for that and it really freaked me out.

The Jade Helm, Iraq War, and Ferguson ones were really upsetting too, but in a different way. I'd say give those a try if you can stand it.

I found Jade Helm hilarious anyway, because... well, lots of people didn't die in that one.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I found Jade Helm hilarious anyway, because... well, lots of people didn't die in that one.

It is hilarious, but I do get what they mean about it being upsetting. With other Dollops, it's easy to say "wow, America sure used to be stupid and crazy!"

But with Jade Helm you really have to face the fact that our lunatic fringe is not only still alive and well, but being catered to by various politicians.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, the audience in the beginning of the new one is almost legitimately creepy. It's like the Gary vault got infected by zombie-ism.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Single person biographies tend to be really hit or miss for me. I feel like half the time they're just "and then this clearly mentally ill person did another crazy thing!" Charles Guiteau is one that stands out like that on the boring end for me. The ones that are actually secretly an overview of a time period are a lot more fun (I love Boston Corbett, for example).

Also the recent one on cars is one that I think should have been a lot more fun for the subject matter, but instead turned into a diatribe about how big companies are terrible (and to be clear, that's not a message I particularly object to, they just forgot to make it that funny along the way).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dave's soliciting ideas for topics on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/thedollop/

"We are now taking suggestions for the Los Angeles Podcast Festival topic. A live streaming pass or a weekend pass to whomever suggests the topic we use."

If you ever wanted Dollop infamy, now's the time.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

rotinaj posted:

Dave's soliciting ideas for topics on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/thedollop/

"We are now taking suggestions for the Los Angeles Podcast Festival topic. A live streaming pass or a weekend pass to whomever suggests the topic we use."

If you ever wanted Dollop infamy, now's the time.

someone there suggested alfred kinsey and that's definitely a guy I'd like to see covered. just his wikipedia bio alone is pretty wild.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've always thought a Dollop on the history of roller coasters/theme park rides would be fun, but I don't know if Anthony would be up for doing the research himself, since I think you'd need to pull in a lot of sources. I know they have a lot of listeners do the research, how's that work? Do you pitch the idea first and then send in research, or do you just send a bunch of source links?

(I think this is a good idea for a Dollop because many of the rides in the history of theme parks doubled as murder machines, such as the first looping coasters, which pulled like 12 Gs)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I've always thought a Dollop on the history of roller coasters/theme park rides would be fun, but I don't know if Anthony would be up for doing the research himself, since I think you'd need to pull in a lot of sources. I know they have a lot of listeners do the research, how's that work? Do you pitch the idea first and then send in research, or do you just send a bunch of source links?

(I think this is a good idea for a Dollop because many of the rides in the history of theme parks doubled as murder machines, such as the first looping coasters, which pulled like 12 Gs)

I emailed Dave suggesting a topic saying I'd be happy to dig up info on it, he said it sounded interesting so I wrote a few pages of stuff with sources attached, sent it back, and they just ended up using it pretty much as it was written.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
You probably mentioned this earlier but what topic was it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"...and one of his cellmates was 26-year old William Walker, who would go on to invade Nicaragua in Dollop episode 21."

I love that kind of thing. :neckbeard:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

They never used my idea.

I thought it was great (Nick Zapetti - a black marketeer, pizza impresario, jewel thief and professional wrestler who was kicking around in post war Japan making a nuisance of himself).

I sent a mail with a few lines and an Amazon link to the book (there's very little online about Zapetti) and never heard anything from them. If I'd have known that a proper write up made it more likely to get done as an episode Id have done that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

You probably mentioned this earlier but what topic was it?

Rod Ansell.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Does anybody know who or what "Arj" is?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Arj Barker, who's an American stand-up who is real goddamn popular over here.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

GlenMR posted:

Arj Barker, who's an American stand-up who is real goddamn popular over here.

Does he have a better known American credit than Flight of the Conchords? That's my go-to to explain him.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Piquai Souban posted:

Does he have a better known American credit than Flight of the Conchords? That's my go-to to explain him.

He had an early comedy central presents that was pretty good but they used to air constantly.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Did they ever do Bernie Goetz?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

Did they ever do Bernie Goetz?

Yup, episode 26.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can someone explain the Solder Children story a bit more? Like it's so strange and Dave unleashes so many loose ends...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Can someone explain the Solder Children story a bit more? Like it's so strange and Dave unleashes so many loose ends...

Guy turns down protection racket, racketeers burn down his house. His children all die in a fire. He spends the rest of his life looking for his dead children who he is convinced escaped.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

uPen posted:

Guy turns down protection racket, racketeers burn down his house. His children all die in a fire. He spends the rest of his life looking for his dead children who he is convinced escaped.

Just half his kids disappeared -- I think it was five missing, five escaped from the fire.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

uPen posted:

I mean I guess. What the hell happened to the PI they sent to Kentucky? If it didn't matter why bring it up!?!!?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I mean I guess. What the hell happened to the PI they sent to Kentucky? If it didn't matter why bring it up!?!!?

Likely took the money and ran. Remember the time period.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If I had the time, I''d love to do a writeup on the various comic book men, specifically Bob Kane being the greatest supervillain in Batman history, among other things.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yvonmukluk posted:

If I had the time, I''d love to do a writeup on the various comic book men, specifically Bob Kane being the greatest supervillain in Batman history, among other things.
I'm just picturing the reaction to Kane's tombstone. It would be glorious. :allears:

For those who haven't seen it:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

An old man gives you money to find his dead children. You have no morals. What would you do?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

prefect posted:

Just half his kids disappeared -- I think it was five missing, five escaped from the fire.

I can't remember if they mention it in the podcast but I thought one of his kids was grown and didn't live with them. So four escaped, 5 were missing, one wasn't there to begin with.

Re: the protection racket angle, what did that have to do with the Mussolini talk? Was that just a red herring?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dr.Radical posted:

I can't remember if they mention it in the podcast but I thought one of his kids was grown and didn't live with them. So four escaped, 5 were missing, one wasn't there to begin with.

Re: the protection racket angle, what did that have to do with the Mussolini talk? Was that just a red herring?

Yeah one didn't live there.

And the Mussolini talk was in there because it was interesting and it was part of what the guy thought had happened to his kids. The story isn't about the fire itself, it's about what the guy thought "really happened."

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No I meant why did the insurance salesman guy mention Mussolini if it was clearly a protection racket thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm just picturing the reaction to Kane's tombstone. It would be glorious. :allears:

For those who haven't seen it:

I would absolutely work in Jim Steranko too, since him smacking Kane in the face is a glorious moment of cathartic justice. Plus you know Gary would love the guy, from being an actual escapologist (and inspiration for Mr. Miracle), to threatening to throw an editor out a window if he got stiffed on a paycheque, to inventing the 4-page spread and the manliest page in Marvel history.

Dr.Radical posted:

No I meant why did the insurance salesman guy mention Mussolini if it was clearly a protection racket thing.

Clearly Mussolini was the fall guy. LEAVE MUSSOLINI ALONE! :italy:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I want them to do one about the female ethics professor/disability advocate who convinced herself a diaper wearing black man with the mental capacity of a toddler secretly shared all her upper middle class interests and that the two of them were deeply in love. I'd love to hear Gary's reaction to "facilitated communication".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749863&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
My favourite quote from the article in the OP:
"When Wesley told Anna he thought she had taken advantage of his brother, she could not muster a response. At last, with her help, D.J. began typing: ‘‘No one’s been taken advantage of. I’ve been trying to seduce Anna for years, and she resisted valiantly.’’ Then he typed another message, meant for Anna: ‘‘Kiss me.’’ Wesley walked out."

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 16, 2016

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Ph.D in Ethics? The gently caress?

The gently caress???

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ah, a sith doctor

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
I just listened to the Cereal Men episode again and Gary's reaction when he twigs what it has all actually been about is fantastic. Can anyone remember any others with a similar one horrified moment of dawning realisation? More than in most of them anyway.

I mean I'm probably just going to go through them all again from the beginning but still.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Calexio posted:

I just listened to the Cereal Men episode again and Gary's reaction when he twigs what it has all actually been about is fantastic. Can anyone remember any others with a similar one horrified moment of dawning realisation?

I remember Ep117 Boston Corbett having a moment like that. Ironically it also has Patton sitting in. Maybe that's why I thought of it.

Revelatory moments aside:
56 Newport Sex Scandal
58 Lenny Dykstra
68 Centralia, Pennsylvania

are all fantastic episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Death Of George Washington has one fairly early on into the episode, but it's still pretty good.

G: He's going to die, I know that's what's about to happen!
D: You don't know what's happening in this story.
G: He's going to die.
D: .... But, the title of this episode is "The Death of George Washington," by the way.
G: Well, heeeeeeeeeere we go!