Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

fishmech posted:

There's all sorts of areas where they don't behave as a rational actor now or haven't in the past. But things that actually risk invasion/restarting the war are a place they've studiously behaved in a rational manner for decades.

Yeah, true enough, but we are talking about a dumbshit "Kim nukes things because [reasons]" scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RaySmuckles posted:

But these are all ridiculous assumptions. People like to imagine "what if they're not rational actors!?" But they are. They have to be because people willing to throw everything they've worked for away for nothing don't climb that high. The human condition does not vary too radically from place to place. The men who surround KJU aren't there coincidentally. The country gets exposure to the outside world, especially the governing classes.
Bear in mind that Myers, the speaker you cited, is wary of assuming that the DPRK leadership would never do something drastic and irrational. The idea is that even though the elite are well-informed and cynical, they all still grew up in a nation shaped by the same propaganda they employ.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Why is it hard to believe that someone whose job is literally fearmongering about nuke use would, uh, monger fear about the possibility of nukes?
This is some dumb poo poo right here. Do you think the same thing about climate change researchers?

quote:

I seriously doubt any researcher who knows the first thing about North Korea, "international nonproliferation expert" or not, would consider their government a rogue actor. So, you know, source your bullshit or stop being a dumb.
I'm the only one who has linked any expert opinion in this discussion, but here's some more I just googled.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/heres-what-makes-rogue-nuclear-states-really-dangerous-12899
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/north-korea-a-rogue-state-outside-the-npt-fold/
http://foreignpolicyconcepts.com/are-north-koreas-nuclear-and-missile-threats-real-part-one/

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Does anyone disagree that, putting Tom Clancy fanfiction aside, ultimately the US will need to attempt to do a deal with North Korea? The problem is that neither side trusts the other. Neither side kept to the 1994 agreed framework - North Korea did shut down its plutonium programme for the duration but probably did start smallscale uranium projects, and the US certainly never provided the Light Water reactors that it had agreed to. The six party talks never went anywhere, and really it was clear North Korea wasn't interested in those talks - China had to keep strongarming them to come.

Its a common trope that North Korea is only building nukes in order to get a deal, get food aid or whatever, but really it would be a lot easier if that was the case. North Korea just really wants the nukes.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I suspect that the US administration has also fallen into believing the trope that NK is only doing this for food aid. That could explain the strategic patience strategy - the administration have been ignoring NK, presumably expecting them to come to them for a deal. Meanwhile NK has been happily building and testing its missiles and nukes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
There will either be war or a negotiated solution in which North Korea preserves its nuclear capabilities.

Both of those have an incredible array of reasons stacked up against them so who knows when something will actually happen but a denuclearized peninsula is no longer in the cards. Seems most likely to me that the status quo of pretending everything is more or less OK will continue until there is another random escalation that doesn't de-escalate - the end will be blundered into, not planned out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

This is some dumb poo poo right here. Do you think the same thing about climate change researchers?

I'm the only one who has linked any expert opinion in this discussion, but here's some more I just googled.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/heres-what-makes-rogue-nuclear-states-really-dangerous-12899
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/north-korea-a-rogue-state-outside-the-npt-fold/
http://foreignpolicyconcepts.com/are-north-koreas-nuclear-and-missile-threats-real-part-one/

Tell me more about things you 'just googled' :allears:

(try checking your sources rather than clicking the first thing that comes to mind)

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

mediadave posted:

Does anyone disagree that, putting Tom Clancy fanfiction aside, ultimately the US will need to attempt to do a deal with North Korea? The problem is that neither side trusts the other. Neither side kept to the 1994 agreed framework - North Korea did shut down its plutonium programme for the duration but probably did start smallscale uranium projects, and the US certainly never provided the Light Water reactors that it had agreed to. The six party talks never went anywhere, and really it was clear North Korea wasn't interested in those talks - China had to keep strongarming them to come.

Its a common trope that North Korea is only building nukes in order to get a deal, get food aid or whatever, but really it would be a lot easier if that was the case. North Korea just really wants the nukes.

This was the point of my post which no one really addressed. It almost has to be for domestic reasons going forward from here.

What does NK leadership do now? Or even if they make ICBM warhead capable nukes.

There isn't any tangible benefits due to amount of capital invested in so many different economies due to globalization.

For example, everyone loves to (reasonably) bitch about Chinese real estate and other major major investment in the Americas but do you think at the levels it's occurring it wouldn't have an effect on China's response if a US-NK dick swinging contest starts making markets super volatile?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Tell me more about things you 'just googled' :allears:

(try checking your sources rather than clicking the first thing that comes to mind)

Why don't you share the "proliferation fears are for pussies" research which informs your views. I won't hold my breath.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mediadave posted:

Part of the problem is that the US is in an extremely poor negotiating position, with very limited stick options and heavy domestic opposition to giving away any carrots - to the point where it's arguable that the US shouldn't be leading the talks at all. We have a much more powerful military than them, and have a very poor relationship with them, so when we ask them to get rid of their most powerful weapon because we would greatly prefer that they not use it, they're naturally not going to find that an attractive proposal unless we make them a really, really good deal. To make it even better, there isn't any domestic support for making North Korea a deal that's good for them; the Republicans have the carrots under lock and key, and we've already used pretty much every stick we're seriously willing to wave at the DPRK.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And THAAD seems to have ticked off the Chinese enough to have them accepting a nuclear North Korea.

So who is left to do the negotiations? Russia? Europe? I'd consider it unlikely - the former because why would they help us, and the latter because they're overwhelmed by the problems they currently have (not a unique case.) If Russia were really freaked out by nuclear proliferation that might be the only angle.

More likely is that things continue as they have - but the next time North Korea shells a South Korean island, or sinks a South Korean ship, any response will need to take into consideration that North Korea has nukes and has pretty clearly stated their plan on using them. When push comes to shove, are we willing to bet that they're bluffing? If they sunk a ship with 20 souls, is that enough? 100 souls? Do you send some mortars back? How do you judge the risk? If you see information that says they're preparing a launch, do you strike preemptively, knowing the consequences?

This is exactly the situation North Korea aimed to create and the rest of us got clowned.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 12, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
China may not like THAAD but I bet they would like a nuclear-armed South Korea a whole lot less.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Assuming that US forces leave the Korean peninsula in the event of reunification, I don't think they'll be too upset; especially if South Korea is too busy trying to rebuild/reintegrate the North.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sincx posted:

I think China still prefers a South Korea with THAAD/nukes over an unified Korea that's an US treaty ally right on the Tumen river.

The reality is the Chinese would probably be fine with setting up a fully or partially demilitarized zone along the border, possibly with some sort of multinational coast guard entity taking care of any necessary issues on the Tumen and Yalu.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mediadave posted:

The US shouldn't pursue any unilateral deals with North Korea, and I suspect neither China or South Korea would be particularly happy if we did, anyway. A deal that is good for us isn't necessarily going to be good for either of the mentioned nations, particularly if we're not in a position to be hit by the blowback of it being ignored or failing to be upheld.

I would contend that North Korea doesn't have easier ways of getting food aid. Their posturing has always been that they need the food aid, or else the country will collapse or they'll be forced to start marching for the DMZ or a million other humanitarian and military nightmares. But it's never really been about "We need food aid to tide us over so we can reform and not need food aid", so far as I can recall. At a certain point, the aid providers will say "no more" or want some concessions and change because the recipient's current governance and policies obviously aren't working. That's probably unacceptable to the North Korean elite - hence the military posturing and sabre-waving to strongarm everyone into giving them aid.

But as South Korea and China have become richer, their military hardware gets more advanced, and a war with North Korea seems more manageable and concretely winnable, the conventional North Korean military bluff doesn't work so well. Hence the nukes; they re-up North Korea's threat ante, force everyone to seriously acknowledge the North Korean government again (since their old jets, tanks, and artillery stopped doing that so easily), and they provide an additional fear element that those nukes might slip out to rogue actors (even if Kim Jong-un doesn't approve it). It creates a whole new ladder of threat levels that the regime can climb to extort money and aid with.

North Korea wants the nukes, but I think I've laid out a theory that they want them for fairly rational reasons, even if they are still for unpleasant and troublesome. It's mafia-style extortion at a national level, and it's wrong, but that doesn't mean it's crazy.

Mozi posted:

And THAAD seems to have ticked off the Chinese enough to have them accepting a nuclear North Korea.

So who is left to do the negotiations? Russia? Europe? I'd consider it unlikely - the former because why would they help us, and the latter because they're overwhelmed by the problems they currently have (not a unique case.) If Russia were really freaked out by nuclear proliferation that might be the only angle.

More likely is that things continue as they have - but the next time North Korea shells a South Korean island, or sinks a South Korean ship, any response will need to take into consideration that North Korea has nukes and has pretty clearly stated their plan on using them. When push comes to shove, are we willing to bet that they're bluffing? If they sunk a ship with 20 souls, is that enough? 100 souls? Do you send some mortars back? How do you judge the risk? If you see information that says they're preparing a launch, do you strike preemptively, knowing the consequences?

This is exactly the situation North Korea aimed to create and the rest of us got clowned.

I think any countries that are likely to experience severe effects from North Korea's actions should be the ones to negotiate (so China and South Korea, and maybe Japan to a lesser extent), though they're free to bring as many amigos as they want with them for extra pressure or support.

But so long as North Korea remains otherwise stable, and South Korea's economy continues to keep the country developed and wealthy, then South Korea will probably absorb the odd losses from North Korea's displays of force for the time being. If the occasional loss of a naval vessel and its crew or some remote village houses and a few inhabitants is the price to pay for a society that has lattes, K-Pop groups, and economic vibrance instead of agricultural misery and mud huts, then it sucks for the dead, but it's likely a worthwhile tradeoff in the government's eyes. Especially since, last I checked anyway, the Korean War is still technically going on.

But that ties in to what I said in response to mediadave; if South Korea is willing to absorb those occasional losses and not engage in a retaliation, then North Korea really loses a lot of its military bargaining power, which is why they're going for nukes now.

I think that a harder line does need to be taken with North Korea now, if they're officially going to be part of the nuclear club, and it should be emphasized that the nuclear powers involved in discussions won't do a first strike of their nuclear weapons. But any offensive nuclear launch or out-of-country detonation that can be concretely attributed to North Korea will have nuclear consequences for the regime, regardless of how many North Koreans (government or civilian) it might kill.

That sounds hawkish and Clancy-ish, I guess, but if the alternative is that a nuclear detonation can be done without consequence, it removes too many treaty gloves from other global nuclear powers that shouldn't be removed. But that said, I don't think the ruling elite in North Korea are particularly interested in actually using their nukes willy-nilly; so long as they can wave them around and make threats with them to continue having other countries prop them up, then they will have done their job.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

But that ties in to what I said in response to mediadave; if South Korea is willing to absorb those occasional losses and not engage in a retaliation, then North Korea really loses a lot of its military bargaining power, which is why they're going for nukes now.

Didn't they start going for them the early sixties? I guess they saw their own gear becoming obsolete well ahead of the time, if what you're saying is true.

JeffersonClay posted:

Why don't you share the "proliferation fears are for pussies" research which informs your views. I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, that's not what I said at all. Keep sucking your own farts :bravo:

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 13, 2016

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Yeah, that's not what I said at all. Keep sucking your own farts :bravo:

Oh sorry you phrased it "pearl-clutching over North Korea pressing the button", which is completely different and not something nonproliferation groups fret about.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Didn't they start going for them the early sixties? I guess they saw their own gear becoming obsolete well ahead of the time, if what you're saying is true.

Wikipedia says they tried to get help from the Soviets and Chinese during the 1960s, but were rebuffed. Their own program didn't really get going until the 1980s, apparently.

That said, one doesn't need a sense of military inferiority to pursue nuclear weapons; look at the Soviet Union and the US, neither of which was necessarily hurting for military strength post-WWII, to say nothing of today. More conventionally lethal than ever, but still maintaining nuclear arsenals.

In that vein, I don't think it really matters how Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il felt about their military strength; if their isolated dictatorships could develop nuclear weapons and gain the prestige of being part of the global nuclear club, that alone is fine enough reason to do it. And that goes double if the official justification for the Kim regime(s) has been to lead the North Korean nation and its people and defend them from aggressors (so any excessive action on the part of the military to achieve that goal is justifiable and necessary, including nukes); never mind that the nation really resembles a medieval fiefdom crossed with a crime family enterprise from the outside.

North Korea probably would have developed nuclear weapons no matter what happened in the 1990s, but I think the strain of the nation's economic and resource woes on its military capabilities (amplified by North Korea being essentially isolated and alienated, China aside, though that's probably not the most stable relationship at this point) has really driven home to the Kim regime that they need a new card in the deck ASAP. This is because the South's advances in military capability and international influence, both politically and economically, have basically broken any semblance of parity leverage that the two Koreas had. The possibility of stalemate has gone away, and the odds of victory are probably quite strong in South Korea's favor.

The North could still cause turmoil on the peninsula with their conventional military, have no doubt, but they would probably be hamstrung by equipment failures, logistics and supply issues, and a general outgunning. They probably wouldn't be able to bring things to a stalemate again, and once South Korea and its allies retaliate, that's the end for the Kim regime and whatever crony families benefit from its existence. So absent being able to develop their own advanced conventional weaponry in order to catch up, nuclear weapons become the logical gap-filler. Not to actually defend North Korea, but to help uphold the Kim regime and strengthen its hand politically in order to get the outside world to continue propping it up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

North Korea probably would have developed nuclear weapons no matter what happened in the 1990s, but I think the strain of the nation's economic and resource woes on its military capabilities (amplified by North Korea being essentially isolated and alienated, China aside, though that's probably not the most stable relationship at this point) has really driven home to the Kim regime that they need a new card in the deck ASAP. This is because the South's advances in military capability and international influence, both politically and economically, have basically broken any semblance of parity leverage that the two Koreas had. The possibility of stalemate has gone away, and the odds of victory are probably quite strong in South Korea's favor.

Agreed. Hell, a large number of draftees are declared unfit because of cognitive impairment as a result of malnutrition. With soldiers barely bright enough to fight because of chronic starvation, lack of fuel and with unservicable armour, I doubt the People's Army can make more than a dent in opposing forces at this point.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Could one reason for North Korea's particularly frantic efforts the past 18 months to gain and prove their missile and nuclear prowess be so they could 'achieve' their defence related goals, tick that box and move on to, or at least to cover slow but consistent developments in the other half of the 'byungjin' line, the economy? Perhaps...certainly, Kim Jong Un has made no attempts to roll back marketisation, like Jong il periodically did.

Byungjin in Play? North Korea's Top Economic Officials Meet for First Time Since 2006
http://thediplomat.com/2016/09/byungjin-in-play-north-koreas-top-economic-officials-meet-for-first-time-since-2006/

quote:

While North Korea’s recent spate of ballistic missile testing has understandably grabbed international headlines (along with dubious reports of another execution-by-anti-aircraft fire), other developments are underway in the country that may be suggestive of longer term internal change. For the first time in a decade, North Korea convened a meeting of senior officials in charge of economic and policy planning.

The development is doubly significant as it comes shortly after Kim Jong-un dismantled the long-standing National Defense Commission, which is father, Kim Jong-il, had elevated as the apex of state power during the years of his songun, or “military first,” national strategy. The National Defense Commission was replaced with a newly created Commission on State Affairs, with Kim Jong-un as its chairman.

Deciphering North Korean Economic Policy Intentions
http://38north.org/2016/07/gtoloraya072616/

quote:

some signs suggest Pyongyang has begun to implement limited reforms beneath a guise of continuity, a gambit intended to obscure the structural changes now occurring throughout North Korean society.
The first years of Kim Jong Un’s reign saw some new hints of economic liberalism, despite the new supreme leader’s consolidation of power by terror and other means. If his father’s government merely tolerated marketization (with periodic setbacks like the infamous 2009 currency reform), authorities under Kim Jong Un have resorted to more daring “economic experiments,” producing regulations that have relaxed restrictions on certain private activity and created room for some individual initiative.
North Korea is thus streamlining its macroeconomic management, or at least displaying an intention to do so. After the breakdown of the centrally planned economy in the 1990s, rival bureaucratic clans emerged and used their administrative resources to create business structures. In particular, the military establishment succeeded under the “songun” (military first) policy at grabbing commanding positions in many lucrative sectors (such as exports and imports), and a majority of its new holdings were unrelated to defense needs, which also received attention. Kim Jong Un has made clear that the government will no longer tolerate the military’s economic preeminence; his decision to change the official party line from songun to byungjin can be interpreted as a “demilitarization” of economic priorities.[8] At one recent meeting, North Koreans explained that restraining military expenditures was one aim of byungjin. At another recent meeting in Pyongyang in May, North Korean economists explained to me the underlying logic and implications of this change: the country has become a “strong power” in defense and ideology, and it now seeks the same success in developing its science and technology, its broader economy and a “civilized way of life.” While such lofty aims may sound like political pandering, they indicate that the government has at least shifted its official focus from the military to economic development since Kim Jong Un took power.

Despite sanctions, North Korea prices steady as Kim leaves markets alone
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-prices-idUSKCN10I126

quote:

Food and fuel prices in North Korea have remained largely stable under leader Kim Jong Un, despite tightening international sanctions to punish the North for its nuclear and ballistic missile tests, rare data from inside the isolated country shows.

The relative stability of both prices and the currency - in contrast to the volatility seen under his father Kim Jong Il - is partly attributable to the younger Kim's hands-off approach to an increasingly market-based economy and also, experts say, suggests some policy learning in Pyongyang.

Once reliant on a Soviet-style centrally-planned economy, North Korea is now home to a thriving system of semi-legal but policed markets known as "jangmadang", where individuals and wholesalers can buy and sell privately-produced or imported goods.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 13, 2016

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I would contend that North Korea doesn't have easier ways of getting food aid. Their posturing has always been that they need the food aid, or else the country will collapse or they'll be forced to start marching for the DMZ or a million other humanitarian and military nightmares. But it's never really been about "We need food aid to tide us over so we can reform and not need food aid", so far as I can recall. At a certain point, the aid providers will say "no more" or want some concessions and change because the recipient's current governance and policies obviously aren't working. That's probably unacceptable to the North Korean elite - hence the military posturing and sabre-waving to strongarm everyone into giving them aid.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, that's not actually what happens. Their posturing means less aid. And the North Korean elite seem ok with that - they're going for the nukes, regardless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mediadave posted:

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, that's not actually what happens. Their posturing means less aid. And the North Korean elite seem ok with that - they're going for the nukes, regardless.

Well, when starvation and a destitute populace is the uncomfortable norm, less aid doesn't seem that big a deal to the higher ups.

http://gizmodo.com/north-korea-asks...dium=socialflow

quote:

In a rare admission that life isn’t paradise within its borders, North Korea is asking for international aid in wake of devastating floods that state media claims to have impacted tens of thousands. Information released Sunday by the United Nations’ Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs confirms that North Korea is dealing with a big natural disaster.

The flooding, which is concentrated along North Korea’s northeastern border, was triggered by torrential rainfall brought on by Typhoon Lionrock, a powerful, long-lived tropical cyclone that impacted North Korea, Japan, and agricultural lands in China late last month. At least 133 North Koreans have been killed so far, 395 are missing, and over 140,000 are in need of “urgent assistance,” according to the UN.

The timing of the disaster and the cry for help is a bit awkward. It comes just days after North Korea conducted its fifth nuclear test to the universal condemnation of the international community. Some have speculated that North Korea’s state media announcement—which was released on Sunday, in English—was intended to draw the sympathy of the very same nations now considering imposing even stricter sanctions to effectively cut off North Korea’s power.

Regardless of whether broadcasting this disaster was a ploy to manipulate international opinion, North Korea’s need for help in wake of the flood appears to be genuine. Nearly 40,000 homes have been leveled and an estimated 16,000 hectares of arable land are inundated.

“The floods came through with such force, they destroyed everything in their path,” Chris Staines, who heads the Red Cross delegation in North Korea, told the AFP, adding that it was a “very major and complex disaster.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The US shouldn't pursue any unilateral deals with North Korea, and I suspect neither China or South Korea would be particularly happy if we did, anyway.
The U.S. negotiating with North Korea one-on-one also strengthens their propaganda message that the South Korean government isn't a real government.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mozi posted:

If the only country concerned enough about nuclear weapons to try to do something about North Korea's program is North Korea's greatest enemy, which also happens to have the second-largest and most advanced nuclear weapons arsenal on the planet, then it's going to be rather hard to convince North Korea that nuclear non-proliferation is a serious global concern.

If there's one thing we learned from the Cold War, it's this: if you see information that they're preparing a launch, it's time to start checking your computer for glitches, rather than preparing a massive first strike that will all but guarantee that the target will order a nuclear launch.

Tias posted:

In the early sixties, the US had nuclear weapons on South Korean soil, and that plus very heavy US pressure was the only thing preventing South Korea from starting up a nuclear weapons program of their own. North Korea had legitimate reason to fear military invasion, just as South Korea did, and both Koreas badly wanted nuclear weapons as a way to assure their security without having to rely entirely on the support of major powers.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That said, one doesn't need a sense of military inferiority to pursue nuclear weapons; look at the Soviet Union and the US, neither of which was necessarily hurting for military strength post-WWII, to say nothing of today. More conventionally lethal than ever, but still maintaining nuclear arsenals.

The Soviet Union and the US both had a tremendous sense of military inferiority after WWII, combined with poor intelligence and a deep conviction that they had to be overwhelmingly stronger than their rival in order to ward off invasion from the greedy warmongering bloodthirsty capitalists/communists. This was taken to a particular extent in the US, where the military-industrial complex made up bullshit numbers showing a massive inferiority in order to spur enormous building programs. A perception of military inferiority was absolutely the impetus behind building up such ridiculous arsenals.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Assuming that US forces leave the Korean peninsula in the event of reunification

This is a loving huge assumption.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if China is really against THAAD because it would be good at shooting down the carrier killer ballistic missile they're developing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-21 The site they chose in South Korea could give significant coverage of the Tsushima strait depending on the maximum range of the system.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mediadave posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Well, when starvation and a destitute populace is the uncomfortable norm, less aid doesn't seem that big a deal to the higher ups.

http://gizmodo.com/north-korea-asks...dium=socialflow

As CommieGIR notes above, less aid doesn't particularly mean a whole lot to the ruling elite, because the elite have the resources to take care of themselves. Any aid they can get is just "gravy" for their own use, that of the military, or as a palliative measure to maintain a semblance of stability in the country. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the North Korean ruling elite are a bunch of cackling, inhuman monsters who don't give two shits about what happens to the greater North Korean population, but I don't think it's out-to-bounds to state that they do not prioritize the needs of that population as much as they do consolidating their own power, status, wealth, and privilege. And that's also why they'll be hesitant to actually use nuclear weapons; the elite is probably made up of very cautious, danger-shy people who have survived purging, dismissal, and falling out of favor with the Kim regimes over the decades. They're not likely to engage in rash moves that endanger their positions.

Main Paineframe posted:

The Soviet Union and the US both had a tremendous sense of military inferiority after WWII, combined with poor intelligence and a deep conviction that they had to be overwhelmingly stronger than their rival in order to ward off invasion from the greedy warmongering bloodthirsty capitalists/communists. This was taken to a particular extent in the US, where the military-industrial complex made up bullshit numbers showing a massive inferiority in order to spur enormous building programs. A perception of military inferiority was absolutely the impetus behind building up such ridiculous arsenals.

I wouldn't doubt it, especially when there is sweet defense budget money to pig out on, but I also don't think it particularly matters either way in the case of North Korea. If we're talking about a heavily militarized society like North Korea is, with a constant militaristic outlook and justification for its governing style, ostensibly run by what is a essentially a warlord-done-good family dynasty, I don't think it's far-fetched for them to want nuclear weapons "just because". They're a display of ultimate military capability and force, after all, even if they're essentially useless for all but the remotest actual military use - but they're good for making the sweat beads pop out on the foreheads of their perceived enemies, and that's enough right there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I wouldn't doubt it, especially when there is sweet defense budget money to pig out on, but I also don't think it particularly matters either way in the case of North Korea. If we're talking about a heavily militarized society like North Korea is, with a constant militaristic outlook and justification for its governing style, ostensibly run by what is a essentially a warlord-done-good family dynasty, I don't think it's far-fetched for them to want nuclear weapons "just because". They're a display of ultimate military capability and force, after all, even if they're essentially useless for all but the remotest actual military use - but they're good for making the sweat beads pop out on the foreheads of their perceived enemies, and that's enough right there.

I'm not sure how you get from "able to scare their strongest and most powerful enemies" to "just because", because that sounds like a pretty good reason. North Korea perceives itself as being under threat from the US, is well aware that it is not a serious military threat to the US, and Iraq was a big wake-up call to regimes like that.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not sure how you get from "able to scare their strongest and most powerful enemies" to "just because", because that sounds like a pretty good reason. North Korea perceives itself as being under threat from the US, is well aware that it is not a serious military threat to the US, and Iraq was a big wake-up call to regimes like that.

That's assuming that North Korea has any actual ideological or existential sincerity in its belief of itself as a nation these days (that is, the government really truly believes it needs nukes to protect the nation), rather than it just cynically saying and doing anything to preserve the Kim regime. Which gets into the can of worms about how much the Kim regime is or is not representative of the North Korean nation, but suffice it to say, I wouldn't hold my breath that the North Korean government is particularly zealous about anything except to maintain its own existence, the North Korean population be damned.

It's easy to say "Well, the US invasion of Iraq signaled an urgent need for security and nukes to all the similar despotic regimes of the world" and have everyone nod sagely. Because it could be a partial factor, certainly, but one could say the same thing about South Korean K-Pop and soap operas being as much of a threat, since North Korea also sees most outside media and communications as a threat to the regime. Maybe the US won't ever invade, but if the lower "sticks" that make up the structure of North Korean society stop supporting those sticks above them (because the average North Korean becomes angry and frustrated at the lies and material deprivation), that's a problem, and it's one that could maybe happen over a week of uninterrupted broadcasting from South Korea or Japan. Not saying that North Koreans are wholly ignorant of this already; it's more that if everyone knows that everyone else openly knows, and individual punishment due to official censure can no longer apply, then the impetus is there to start demanding change.

That said, North Korea's acquisition of nuclear weapons could be for a myriad of reasons, simultaneously overlapping and changing in prominence depending on the situation. It doesn't really matter (outside of them being the gap-filler for North Korea's decline in conventional military strength compared to everyone else). The big issue I'm arguing against in this thread, with regards to North Korea and its nuclear weapons, is that lots of people jump to fears that the north will totally use their nukes, or allow them to be diverted to rogue actors, or whatever. And while those are always possibilities (since anything is, to varying degrees of likelihood), I'm arguing the view that it's unlikely to happen.

Their nukes are a bluff, a political scheme more than any concrete military necessity, because I don't see North Korea gearing up for any kind of confrontation that tips everyone else into "enough is enough" mode, especially with nuclear weapons in the mix. It just buys the regime time to plan its next moves, without risking being boxed in and forced to capitulate and come to the negotiating table from a position of weakness. Though it could also signal the beginning of the end for the regime because, at this point, what else would be left to do? Intentionally create a humanitarian crisis that everyone fears will happen regardless?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I don't think they're going to demand change very soon, since life in NK has been improving steadily since the mid 90s famine. Yeah it is nowhere near SK but I don't think it really matters. Like cell phones became legal in 2010 and now there are at least 4 mil subscribers, about 1/6th the country in 6 years.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't think they're going to demand change very soon, since life in NK has been improving steadily since the mid 90s famine. Yeah it is nowhere near SK but I don't think it really matters. Like cell phones became legal in 2010 and now there are at least 4 mil subscribers, about 1/6th the country in 6 years.

Aren't the vast majority of those subscribers in Pyongyang though?

Personally I don't think NK's heading towards revolution next week or anything (although I do think that when it does happen, it'll be almost completely unforeseen and sudden), but I do think that the spread of information is having a huge effect on attitudes, especially when combined with a generation more cynical and mistrustful after the Arduous March and collapse of distribution. Interviews with defectors and sources within NK suggest that the Party is losing control and influence in some areas faster than others (Hamgyong vs Pyongyang), and who the hell knows how they're going to deal with it, especially if the recent flooding is as bad as it sounds leading to more shortages and displacement. Another source I read suggested that they've lost a shitload of almost ready to harvest crops, which we've seen before, in addition to all the housing, and that's just what they're admitting/what the relief teams are reporting seeing (who aren't exactly allowed to wander freely). It's possible NK could exaggerate the extent of losses to angle for more aid, but historically they've tended to downplay disasters because True Korea Best Korea Juche.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I really do believe that the primary reason they're proceeding with nuclear weapons at this point is that they've been after them for 50+ years, and by now they've already spent so much on getting the program going that they don't see any good reason to stop.

Whitlam posted:

Unlikely, as there just aren't that many people in Pyongyang, and cell phone use certainly isn't ubiquitous among the population there. (There's only 2.6 million people there). It's surely the city with the most cell phone users, but it's also simply the biggest city by far - the next biggest is Hamhung with about 770,000.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Going by the cold war, most of the time it came close to being hot was by accident or miscalculation at the time, rather than by belligerence. Humans aren't really any smarter now, this represents many future crises and saber rattling events that stand a small but potent chance of the swiss cheese model disaster- no-one really intends for it to happen, but enough things fall into place for it to happen anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Whitlam posted:

this was just glanced on in Ask a North Korean a couple of weeks back actually:

quote:

Park: When I left North Korea cell phones were only seen in Pyongyang, Pyongsong, and Nampo. About 60 percent of the Pyongyang citizens had phones at the time. Cells started to become widely popular from 2013 to 2014. When I left, a scene like this – where a man would look at his phone on the way to the subway – wasn’t so familiar, and the phones we used were limited to old style flip phones.

Kim: I used to read e-books using a smartphone like this. I shared data with others using Bluetooth or SD cards. Which books did I read? Hmm… lots of South Korean books. I read just about every kind, including a collection of life tips and lots of novels, but I didn’t know who the authors were at the time.
https://www.nknews.org/2016/09/photo-pyongyang-1-former-residents-explain-what-tourists-see/

Cellphones aren't really a sign of wealth though, they're getting pretty ubiquitous even in the poorer parts of India and Africa; they're not that expensive anymore and the capability to communicate instantly with anyone you know is pretty loving revolutionary.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Flooding causing deaths in the Tumen River Basin. Seems the Chinese are more healpful than the DPRK's own Government.
http://www.asiapress.org/rimjin-gang/report/20160915-nk-korea-flood-damage/

AsiaPress posted:

2016/Sept/12

A huge flood deprived a lot of lives at Namyang Laborer District of Onsung County in North Korea. But the authorities’ futile effort to cope with the disaster provoked outcry from the people, reported couple of reporting partners at the region.

“A,” a reporting partner of ASIAPRESS living in the region, covered the damage on September 8: There are number of deaths by the flood at Namyang and it is said that six people are dead at Saebyol County. Two people are said to be dead at Ryuda Island (an island at the mid-Tumen River). People, when asked, are just saying ‘Many are dead, or missing.’

Another reporting partner at the same region said on the phone on the same day, “A military post and seven soldiers were swept away. Four dead bodies were found at Onsung County. If found at the Chinese side, the deaths are handed over after notification. But even there are many missing people, so few are found.”

On September 6, Korean Central News Agency released the news that 60 people are dead and 25 are missing because of this deluge. The damage by the flood in North Hamkyung Province seems serious based on the reports by ASIANPRESS reporters and the released news.

However, although the authority says that the damage by flood is due to the heavy rain, some people insist that the damage grew bigger because of the authority’s wrong response.

(2 further pages on the site - not quoting here because AsiaPress could do with the Ad impressions)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Biggus Dickus posted:

Flooding causing deaths in the Tumen River Basin. Seems the Chinese are more healpful than the DPRK's own Government.
http://www.asiapress.org/rimjin-gang/report/20160915-nk-korea-flood-damage/

(2 further pages on the site - not quoting here because AsiaPress could do with the Ad impressions)

It is pretty suspect, this article. The flood is gigantic and I seriously doubt a single flood gate way the heck upstream really changed the situation all that much. As it is the Chinese are experiencing large amounts of death and destruction.

The actual amount of water should be seen:
http://www.dailynk.com/english/read.php?num=14062&cataId=nk01500

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
yes, the Chinese too have suffered a lot from this summer's floods.

The Chinese government’s incompetence caused flooding deaths in Hebei, villagers say
http://qz.com/740803/floods-in-china-caused-xxx-deaths/

China floods: More than 150 killed and hundreds of thousands evacuated
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36873902

mediadave fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 15, 2016

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
North Korea has 28 .kp websites, apparently.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/north-korea-has-just-28-websites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I find it increasingly hard to understand China's commitment to NK. Whilst the two reasons they give for backing the regime still make sense (not wanting a US ally/troops on their border + masses of refugees and instability) in the worst-case scenario (nuclear war on the peninsula) and the second worst (conventional) both the US regional presence and the instability will be 1000x worse than a 'peaceful' collapse of NK. Obviously NK is a large part of what drives SK to the US orbit and even now SK is way more important to China economically and culturally than NK.

Basically if I were Xi Jinping right now I would be thinking it's time to cut my losses and accept that potentially having US tanks on my border is less dangerous than having 'allies' across the border who set off nuclear weapons, but maybe I underestimate Chinese paranoia or American perfidy.