Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

To be honest, I thought that's what the Faster FSD-Boot Sequence does, because the thought that someone could want their FSD to restart faster instead of shorter jump spool up times never crossed my head.

Now that I know what it does, I still can't quite grasp why :frontear: wasted time and effort on what I quite frankly think is the most useless engineering upgrade ever thought up.

Ive asked this myself too, and the post plausible explanation i could com up with was, "we cant have only 1 mod for FSD drives, come up with 2 more until lunch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

DancingShade posted:

I realise the thread has moved on a couple pages and this is old news but I thought it was worth sharing. Remember that SEPP guy screaming about EGP putting a banana sticker on his cardboard box pretend home system?

He exploded after 59 pages of his thread not having the outcome he expected and had a mod close it.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Enemy-inside-the-gates-Frontier-please-rethink-this/page59

Gave me a laugh anyway.

Moderators please close this thread immediately. SEPP stopped posting in this thread about 15 pages ago. The mob has had 15 pages of unchallenged SEPP bashing, I think that is enough for one week against a group that has done nothing but help other players for the past year by creating a safe PP free zone for returning Explorers. Sheesh.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ive asked this myself too, and the post plausible explanation i could com up with was, "we cant have only 1 mod for FSD drives, come up with 2 more until lunch"

Perhaps with the addendum “oh, and lunch is in 5 minutes”, because otherwise, they'd surely be able to come up with something more sensible or creative. Improved fuel efficiency? Better agility while in frameshift flight? Interdiction strengthening (immunity seems a bit much, but maybe you indirectly reduce the range and capture arc of the interdictor, or making the escape vector “bigger” so it's easier to target)? Wake dispersion (wake signatures don't stick around as long)? Signature reduction (can't scan from as far away, or just don't show up on the contact list until at much closer range)? None of them still really hold a candle to jump range, but at least there could be some actual everyday use for them.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Tippis posted:

Perhaps with the addendum “oh, and lunch is in 5 minutes”, because otherwise, they'd surely be able to come up with something more sensible or creative. Improved fuel efficiency? Better agility while in frameshift flight? Interdiction strengthening (immunity seems a bit much, but maybe you indirectly reduce the range and capture arc of the interdictor, or making the escape vector “bigger” so it's easier to target)? Wake dispersion (wake signatures don't stick around as long)? Signature reduction (can't scan from as far away, or just don't show up on the contact list until at much closer range)? None of them still really hold a candle to jump range, but at least there could be some actual everyday use for them.

If a theoretical fuel efficiency mod was competitive with the de facto fuel efficiency mod of longer jump ranges I'd seriously consider it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Conskill posted:

If a theoretical fuel efficiency mod was competitive with the de facto fuel efficiency mod of longer jump ranges I'd seriously consider it.

Yeah, I imagined it as improved efficiency as in, not longer jump range but longer total range on a single tank, even compared what you'd get from improved jump distance. That could open up a whole lot of ships to a bunch of new uses, since you'd no longer need to dedicate slots to extra tanks or scoops, and/or not spend as much time or be a exposed while doing refuel stops.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Or just a mod to increase range via increasing fuel usage. I got a lucky roll on a rank4 FSD mod that (even though it's not even maxed out the optimal at rank 4) will go further than any rank 5 mod I've rolled because it uses 5.24 tons per jump instead of 5!

I've been grinding arsenic and chemical manipulators for more than a week so I can roll an extra-gas rank 5 FSD mod...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is the best way to get chemical manipulators killing random t9s? On a related note, does anyone have a clipper build for engineer grinding they wouldn't mind sharing?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Finster Dexter posted:

Moderators please close this thread immediately. SEPP stopped posting in this thread about 15 pages ago. The mob has had 15 pages of unchallenged SEPP bashing, I think that is enough for one week against a group that has done nothing but help other players for the past year by creating a safe PP free zone for returning Explorers. Sheesh.

Just remember to bookmark that thread when Dangerous Games 2 rolls around (whenever that is) and SEPP toss their hat into the ring again.

Which I guarantee you they totally will despite trying to retroactively claim they were anti PP and wanted an anti PP safe space after they lost and Mother Russia walked into their backyard taking a slug from a bottle of vodka.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

Is the best way to get chemical manipulators killing random t9s? On a related note, does anyone have a clipper build for engineer grinding they wouldn't mind sharing?

Its the best way for getting interdicted 24/7 because of murder status.
The safest (and probably most efficient) way is to look for an anarchy system, preferably at war or in outbreak, and find a "seeking weapons" or "seeking medicines" point of interest.
These contain at least 3 T9s, sometimes a few T7s strewn in, which respawn and can be flipped like mission boards.

For grinding engineers you want huge jump range and some lasers with minimal cargo and a buggy, fuel scoop and extra tanks dont hurt. Collector limpets are a quality of life but not required as such.
This will basically cover all engineers except armor lady who needs 10 painite which means changing into a miner build and going through a pristine metallic ring (or a friend who has done this drops 10 painite).

On a sidenote, the clipper is a large hull and will gently caress you over 9/10 times cause you cant land on outposts.
If you can get your hands on a python, do it. Its probably the single best overall ship for doing anything non-specialized.
If you can afford an anaconda it has the same problem as the clipper but way better jump range.
I loved my clipper, but the large hull killed it for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/2pktkFflkdpskf41u1u1b1b0i0d040406B132f4C06vv62f.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==?bn=Clipper

Is what I'm using for grinding engineers, haven't had any issues yet. Mine has 21 Ly range with a full tank tho, because I scored some extra fuel usage on my (otherwise mediocre) rank 4 FSD upgrade. I'll probably be able to push it past 20 laden with a decent rank 5 roll (which is apparently never going to happen).

Engineers is the best thing, by being able to push fully armed and armored jump range past 20ly, I have absolutely zero wish of ever flying anything else. It's great.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I appreciate the help and tips. I have a stock python hull but only about 15mil to equip it. I was thinking about doing a bunch of sothis runs in order to get it in decent shape but my asp kept crumpling like a tin can against some of these upgraded ships that spawn now, so I thought I would switch to the clipper so I don't lose any more mod terminals or other cargo I know I'm going to need when I unlock the appropriate engineer. Is there much need for outpost access? The only engineer I've visited so far is Farseer and I'm trying to get that sweet rank 5 fsd on everything I own to make doing the other grinds easier.

E: Are you finding yourself using that much cargo on the clipper for engineer related things or is this your general purpose build? Here's my build so far

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/0pktkFflndpsnf47l7l1b1b0e0m04044l3d0303f3f3v62f.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==?bn=Clipper

Are the hatch breaker and cargo scanner needed for the t9's as well or do you just hop in and start the murder party?

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 14, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

I appreciate the help and tips. I have a stock python hull but only about 15mil to equip it. I was thinking about doing a bunch of sothis runs in order to get it in decent shape but my asp kept crumpling like a tin can against some of these upgraded ships that spawn now, so I thought I would switch to the clipper so I don't lose any more mod terminals or other cargo I know I'm going to need when I unlock the appropriate engineer. Is there much need for outpost access? The only engineer I've visited so far is Farseer and I'm trying to get that sweet rank 5 fsd on everything I own to make doing the other grinds easier.

E: Are you finding yourself using that much cargo on the clipper for engineer related things or is this your general purpose build? Here's my build so far

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/0pktkFflndpsnf47l7l1b1b0e0m04044l3d0303f3f3v62f.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==?bn=Clipper

Are the hatch breaker and cargo scanner needed for the t9's as well or do you just hop in and start the murder party?

Keep in mind you can module swap with sell/rebuy, you dont need fsd upgrades on everything.
I have outkitted my Vulture top to bottom without leaving the hangar by slapping power plant, coupler, drives, shield and weapons to my 42ly anaconda and then swapping back.
Do this with your largest range ship for every module you can fit/swap.

All you need for T9 farming is guns and a powered cargo hatch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
128 cargo is completely unnecessary, I should probably swap shield and cargo rack. Even 64 is overkill

e: Cargo scanner and hatch breakers are because I like to steal expensive poo poo if I'm already grinding haulers anyway.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 14, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Jesus dicks the magic interdictions are getting worse. Every trip now my FSD hangs while charging until the NPC is out of sensor range, I spin out on half the interdictions I submit to and not spinning out is irrelevant because they're all able to superboost to catch up and get right on my tail initially before falling off as normal. Having my shields taken offline in one shot as they catch up is also pretty common. Thank spacegod there's no instant ship transfers to remove the realism.

Edit: It looks like the mass lock range is massive and I must have been getting interdicted by nothing but large ships. I always figured that was the case when it happened before. It's never been an issue because huge slow ships interdicting me have never been able to zip up that fast on the radar for the initial salvo.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 14, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Jesus dicks the magic interdictions are getting worse. Every trip now my FSD hangs while charging until the NPC is out of sensor range, I spin out on half the interdictions I submit to and not spinning out is irrelevant because they're all able to superboost to catch up and get right on my tail initially before falling off as normal. Having my shields taken offline in one shot as they catch up is also pretty common. Thank spacegod there's no instant ship transfers to remove the realism.

Edit: It looks like the mass lock range is massive and I must have been getting interdicted by nothing but large ships. I always figured that was the case when it happened before. It's never been an issue because huge slow ships interdicting me have never been able to zip up that fast on the radar for the initial salvo.

I think i havent been interdicted by a single ship without plasma weapons since engineers.

What bugs me most is getting interdicted 15Mm from the station, you submit, charge up, low wake and are 3.2ls from the station.
Rinse and repeat until you kill the task.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Just remember to bookmark that thread when Dangerous Games 2 rolls around (whenever that is) and SEPP toss their hat into the ring again.

Which I guarantee you they totally will despite trying to retroactively claim they were anti PP and wanted an anti PP safe space after they lost and Mother Russia walked into their backyard taking a slug from a bottle of vodka.

If Dangerous Games 2 happens no one is going to toss any hats anywhere near that ring, unless GalCop says we're not going to play. The results were so incredibly lopsided that unless there's a significant realignment in the group landscape, there's no point in even having a real Games for round 2. Instead they'll just cry that allowing GalCop in is unfair and that we need some sort of massive handicap to compensate for being bigger, better, and more dedicated than everyone else.

It leaves Frontier in a really tough spot, honestly - the Games were unpopular enough as it is, and no one's going to bother with a Games 2 where the winner is a foregone conclusion, so the Dangerous Games are essentially dead in the water and they're going to have to come up with something else entirely.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

If Dangerous Games 2 happens no one is going to toss any hats anywhere near that ring, unless GalCop says we're not going to play. The results were so incredibly lopsided that unless there's a significant realignment in the group landscape, there's no point in even having a real Games for round 2. Instead they'll just cry that allowing GalCop in is unfair and that we need some sort of massive handicap to compensate for being bigger, better, and more dedicated than everyone else.

It leaves Frontier in a really tough spot, honestly - the Games were unpopular enough as it is, and no one's going to bother with a Games 2 where the winner is a foregone conclusion, so the Dangerous Games are essentially dead in the water and they're going to have to come up with something else entirely.

Well you know...actual player guilds would solve all these stupid problems but oh god that'd make it EVE and a clearly that's bad since EVE is bad (and has been around for over a decade and has more players at the low point that ED has ever had)

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Probably for the best anyways. What do you get if you win? A loving Powerplay faction. No thanks!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, agreed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What bugs me most is getting interdicted 15Mm from the station, you submit, charge up, low wake and are 3.2ls from the station.
Rinse and repeat until you kill the task.
Interdictions take place while the ships are still a colossal distance apart so obviously one of the ships has to teleport in order for them to end up in the same place, but the decision to have the victim pulled back to the interdictor's position instead of having them "catch up" with the victim (you know, like they're explicitly trying to do) is the most :frontear: thing. :allears:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Pilchenstein posted:

Interdictions take place while the ships are still a colossal distance apart so obviously one of the ships has to teleport in order for them to end up in the same place, but the decision to have the victim pulled back to the interdictor's position instead of having them "catch up" with the victim (you know, like they're explicitly trying to do) is the most :frontear: thing. :allears:

You heard it here, folks, magic is canon. :colbert:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Interdiction would be fine if the gameplay was designed better. But once you learn to always submit, boost away, and frame shift out as soon as possible, nothing ever changes, and there's not even much risk. It's just a 45-second delay.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Interdiction would be fine if the gameplay was designed better. But once you learn to always submit, boost away, and frame shift out as soon as possible, nothing ever changes, and there's not even much risk. It's just a 45-second delay.

except when it happens in the system you want to dock, then its just plain tiresome.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah totally. You can jump to another system and back in but that's really annoying for no reason (E:D in a nutshell?). My favourite part is when the constant catchup leads to the NPC showing up at the station and getting owned by other NPCs while I'm docked and using station services.

I think the only times I was legit excited by the mechanic was either before I learned the submit, boost, boost, FSD shuffle, or the few times when the enemy ship was far larger and hit me with a 11x mass lock or whatever. But then the enemy still just tickled my shields, good thing my ranks are so low I guess.

I'm glad I read about the parking your rear end towards a star thing too, because it's never not funny watching the pirate NPC fly into the star and disappear from contacts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Except of course when the NPC turns out to be Elminster and just teleports next to you and shoots your ship into space dust before your FSD can spool up for the jump. I always love it when that happens. :shepface:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Except of course when the NPC turns out to be Elminster and just teleports next to you and shoots your ship into space dust before your FSD can spool up for the jump. I always love it when that happens. :shepface:

It's called Elite: Dangerous idiot :smuggo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

That's why you do the Enhanced-edition trick of loading your Throne of Bhaal final save group into BG1, and murder Elminster where he stands when he shows up. The game drops a cow on you to make you stop, but doesn't particularly care otherwise, though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
God loving dammit ive had it with this kamikaze Ai.
Why do they even mount weapons on clippers/dropships anymore?

Hey im at 5% hull lets just boost into your canopy cause im a bot that isnt programmed to simulate any kind of survival instincs whatsoever and also the only one paying insurance is the loving player!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

God loving dammit ive had it with this kamikaze Ai.
Why do they even mount weapons on clippers/dropships anymore?

Hey im at 5% hull lets just boost into your canopy cause im a bot that isnt programmed to simulate any kind of survival instincs whatsoever and also the only one paying insurance is the loving player!

Do you.. not ram your opponent every single chance you get? *blink* are we playing the same game?

I mean seriously the Clipper is an 800 ton kinetic weapon. That's what makes it so great. One of the things we teach the tadpoles is never not ram, for good reason!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Do you.. not ram your opponent every single chance you get? *blink* are we playing the same game?

I mean seriously the Clipper is an 800 ton kinetic weapon. That's what makes it so great. One of the things we teach the tadpoles is never not ram, for good reason!

No, i dont ram people in the FDL.
And i certainly wouldnt do it in a clipper when my hull integrity is in single digits with no shield.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Like everything frontier does, the AI is programmed to be filled with contempt and behave spitefully towards the players. "Kill me will you!? Get hosed!"

I've rammed a CZ dropship to its death in my courier and barely escaped alive, Moose saw it. But mainly if I had single digit hull you can bet I'd try a suicide ram to take them out too. It's better than frontier accurately simulating players and the AI high waking or logging as soon as the shields drop IMO

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Paramemetic posted:

It's better than frontier accurately simulating players and the AI high waking or logging as soon as the shields drop IMO

Didn't they try that in the beta and everyone hated it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Didn't they try that in the beta and everyone hated it?

They tried it for the 2.1 AI upgrade, and were soon convinced to tone it down… a lot.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Libluini posted:

That's the part that was really making me mad at vidya games. I'm used to the usual crap with an NPC spawning, whipping around behind you then yanking you back in time over and over until you land or leave the system. It's super annoying and just a time tax on travel, but whatever. The thing I haven't experienced before was the teleport/plasma combo with a mass lock out to the max range of 5E sensors. I'm guessing they were also the magic cargo-spawned ones as well, possibly from carrying Modular Terminals, since reloading the game or jumping out/in didn't clear them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
To everyone complaining about NPC interdictions: don't get good. Get mines.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Gonna get a HOTAS in a couple of days because I'm a stupid idiot that cannot stop playing this stupid idiot game with a bunch of other stupid idiot lovely frog buddies.

I read something about downloading a custom profile for the HOTAS to make it really good with E:D. How does that work? I've never messed with anything besides a plug-n-play gamepad so please explain it to me like i'm a dumb babby thanks :kiddo:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

I read something about downloading a custom profile for the HOTAS to make it really good with E:D. How does that work? I've never messed with anything besides a plug-n-play gamepad so please explain it to me like i'm a dumb babby thanks :kiddo:
You download a zip with the profile in a .binds file in it and then you put that .binds file in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\ like magic next time you log into the game there will be a preset in the Options -> Controls and you select it and it changes all your keys to match the binds file.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh cool. I actually did something like that to migrate my control settings from my secondary hard drive to this one (because I'll be damned if I'm manually working all that out again!).

Is there a popular one for HOTAS in particular?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

To everyone complaining about NPC interdictions: don't get good. Get mines.

This absolutely this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CapnBry posted:

You download a zip with the profile in a .binds file in it and then you put that .binds file in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\ like magic next time you log into the game there will be a preset in the Options -> Controls and you select it and it changes all your keys to match the binds file.

I've tried doing this with my custom HOTAS setup since it has a nasty tendency to reset a whole bunch of stuff if I forget to plug something in before I start. But it never seemed to show up in the preset list. Is there something magical you need to do to the binds file to make it show up properly, or did I just fumble it and put it in the wrong place (I don't remember if that's the location I was fiddling with)?

• Locked thread