Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Between you and Ikantski, only one of you has refused to present facts and has wilfully misread or ignored the data posted by the other.

Neither one of us has done that, actually. You might want to read more carefully.

edit: Ikantski had provided zero citations for any of the U.S. numbers at the time I made that comment. It was not clear that he had not made the chart himself. So yes, you should work more on your reading comprehension and less on your partisan hackery.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

tagesschau posted:

Neither one of us has done that, actually. You might want to read more carefully.

Ikantski posted:

(...)
I researched and made you a chart. Our two neighbours and every state. I don't understand how you can argue that our rates are relatively inexpensive.

tagesschau posted:

I guess I'll be the first to provide actual numbers, then—something Ikantski hasn't done at all for the U.S. portion of that chart.

Ikantski posted:

a) The numbers are right above the bars on the US chart and there's a labeled, vertical axis. To get kwh, just divide by 1000. eg. at $54 USD/1000kwh, Quebec pays 5.4 cents per kwh

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

dicks assassin posted:

Conrad Black endorsed Donald Trump today.

Con men usually stick together.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Helsing posted:

But my guess is it'll just be a bunch of insinuation that's been combed over by a lawyer, or at best it'll be what you were suggesting earlier and he'll bring up previously known stuff like councillors getting charged with drunk driving. If Doug actually releases unpublished information about the shenanagins of specific journalists and politicians then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to suggest that shortly after the launch he'll admit that liberal judges curtailed his right to free speech and so all of the suggested juicy bits that aren't actually in there had to be removed because of leftist corruption.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How much should electricity cost? Some jurisdictions will always be above average, so that doesn't seem super useful to me. What is the appropriate rate structure?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of power rates, I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Alberta power market looks like it does. I was too young at the time to really grasp what deregulation was about, was it just one of those things where Klein said a competitive market would make things cheaper, and our dumb loving province believed him for some reason?
Essentially yes. It was an ideological decision which was sold on the promise of lowering rates through competition; prices spiked instead, and as it turned out Enron negotiated an opt-out clause if the government made things unprofitable for distributors.

If you're wondering, the rates are identical between all providers. I went with Epcor because at least the city owns a majority stake in it, so theoretically their profits keep my property taxes lower.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Subjunctive posted:

How much should electricity cost? Some jurisdictions will always be above average, so that doesn't seem super useful to me. What is the appropriate rate structure?

Less than what we're paying now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Like 8% less or

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Whatever it costs when we nationalize it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

THC posted:

:laffo: @ all the progressive idiots who stumped for the Liberals in Vancouver and Burnaby

Looks like they're already jumping ship
https://twitter.com/MarcScottEmery/status/775815028070948864

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Subjunctive posted:

Perhaps we should let the market decide.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

If you're wondering, the rates are identical between all providers. I went with Epcor because at least the city owns a majority stake in it, so theoretically their profits keep my property taxes lower.

That I knew, as I learned this spring when I had to go utility shopping for the first time. Also the amusing fact that nobody actually signs the long term contracts, a clear majority of Albertans just go with the variable regulated rate option.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 13, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of power rates, I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Alberta power market looks like it does. I was too young at the time to really grasp what deregulation was about, was it just one of those things where Klein said a competitive market would make things cheaper, and our dumb loving province believed him for some reason?

Because a significant proportion of Albertans* believe that the private sector is inherently more efficient, lean, disciplined, innovative, responsive and accountable than the (lazy, bloated, overpaid, incompetent, hidebound, bureaucratic, union-riddled and unaccountable) public sector, and therefore any deregulation or privatization must inevitably and automatically result in better prices and services.

*before anyone gets smug about those dumb hick Albertans, I should note that this belief is widespread across the entire English-speaking world

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah you Ontarians kind of get robbed on electricity rates -- I'm in Gatineau, and if I crossed the river over to Ottawa my hydro costs would probably more than double (depending on on/mid/off-peak usage).

From a while ago but... If I moved to Gatineau, I'd pay several thousand dollars more in taxes. It's ok that things cost different in different jurisdictions. The fact that Ontario's rates are what they are isn't in and of itself bad. The fact that they've been increasing at the pace they are and that increase shows no signs of stopping, however, is.

Unrelated but I was listening to As It Happens thirty minutes ago or so and they had this piece about involuntary mental health treatments. It's really surprising that the practice exists in Canada (in BC at least). There's a globe and mail article about it. Relevant info:

quote:

Under British Columbia’s Mental Health Act, a person who is involuntarily detained is deemed to consent to all psychiatric treatment authorized by a director appointed by the health authority. They are presumed to be incapable of giving, refusing or revoking consent to psychiatric treatment, and cannot appoint a substitute decision maker. There is no statutory requirement to assess whether the person is capable of making decisions.

This is in contrast to the B.C. legislation that guides general health care, which states that providers cannot give treatment without consent except in urgent or emergency situations. Further, patients can make directives in advance, or have substitute decision makers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haha, the big epic discoveries of shipwrecks whose locations were a mystery (to white people) for 150+ years.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Who would have thought the Terror would be in Terror Bay.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah you Ontarians kind of get robbed on electricity rates -- I'm in Gatineau, and if I crossed the river over to Ottawa my hydro costs would probably more than double (depending on on/mid/off-peak usage).

The irony is that most of Ottawa's electrical suplly comes from Quebec, where it crosses the Gatineau river near Levaivre (which is about 16 km west of :awkesbury) at the 1.2 gw station there.

I am surprised Ontario and Quebec didn't enter into a partnership to take more advantage of the positives to both generating and supply systems. Quebec has the gold standard of generating supply when it comes to generating power on demand as well as long-term viability, whereas Ontario has the Bruce, Pickering and other nuclear facilities that can be pushed into "overload" status to power our Tesla towers if Japan tries to Dojo rush us.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

El Scotch posted:

Who would have thought the Terror would be in Terror Bay.

There was an Inuit guy who was added to the crew and on his second day aboard the search vessel he told them that years ago he saw a mast sticking up out of Terror Bay, took pictures of it, lost the camera, then kept it to himself because losing the camera was a bad omen.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
It's possible the LPC skipped the "please don't mix partisan politics with government business" seminar last October.

Wilson-Raybould charged expenses to Justice Department on day of Liberal fundraiser posted:

OTTAWA -- Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould charged meals and other expenses to the Department of Justice on the day she travelled to Toronto for a Liberal Party fundraiser held in the offices of a Bay Street law firm.
Records obtained by CTV News show she made per diem claims to Justice for breakfast, lunch and dinner and “incidentals” on April 7, even though she said she was attending the event at Torys LLP in her capacity as an MP and not in her role as Attorney General.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/wilson-raybould-charged-expenses-to-justice-department-on-day-of-liberal-fundraiser-1.3070779

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://m.torontosun.com/2016/09/13/ontario-needs-courage-from-lt-gov-dowdeswell

quote:

The Liberals consistently break their election promises, yet voters docilely return them to office. They scrap gas plants, they waste billions on questionable boondoggles such as eHealth and Ornge, yet they get re-elected.

In the rest of the world, voters rise up when their governments are tainted by the mere whiff of scandal or mismanagement.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff was impeached for manipulating government accounts. It’s alleged she was illegally moving funds between accounts, to make up deficits in social programs.

Now she’s gone.

That seems to me small potatoes compared to some of the shenanigans the Liberals have got up to.

Rousseff’s approval ratings plummeted from a high of 79% in March 2013 to 10% in March this year. Hmmm. Who does that remind me of?

Oh, Kathleen Wynne, who’s been polling in the single digits recently and who was noticeably not front and centre during the recent Scarborough Rouge-River byelection, in which voters gave Liberals a stern spanking.

The way out of this is controversial. It’s not a path that’s taken often.

Nor should it be.

It’s one that would take courage on the part of Dowdeswell. It’s our version of recall legislation.

There’s precedent for the vice-regal officer to step in and dismiss a government under extraordinary circumstances, according to constitutional lawyer Ronald Cheffins, a former justice of the courts of appeal for B.C. and Yukon, a former vice-chair of the Law Reform Commission of British Columbia, and a professor emeritus of the University of Victoria.

Writing in the Canadian Parliamentary Review, Cheffins cites earlier precedents in B.C. and Manitoba when lieutenant governors have threatened premiers with their power of dismissal if they didn’t shape up.

“None of the above should be taken as an invitation to vice-regal representatives to dismiss first ministers, but it does remain not only a clear legal power of a lieutenant governor or governor general, but also in extraordinary circumstances, in accordance with constitutional practice,” Cheffins writes.

In Australia in 1974, Gov.-Gen. Sir John Kerr dismissed scandal-plagued Prime Minister Gough Whitlam and replaced him with the leader of the Liberal opposition, Malcolm Fraser. Parliament was dissolved, an election called and Fraser won in a landslide.

We’ve suffered enough. We can’t afford any more of this chaotic government.

Send a message to Dowdeswell that she can’t ignore: email lt.gov@ontario.ca or write her at Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ont., M7A 1A1.

Ontario is Brazil

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Left foot...

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fintrac-real-estate-money-laundering-1.3761343

Canada's anti-money laundering agency conducted on-site examinations of more than 800 real estate companies over four-and-a-half years and found "significant" or "very significant" deficiencies during 60 per cent of those visits, new data shows.A document obtained by The Canadian Press through an Access to Information request shows that Fintrac conducted 823 examinations of companies in the real estate sector between 2012 and mid June of this year.

The federal anti-money laundering watchdog found "significant" deficiencies with the anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing controls at 468 of those companies, while 28 companies had "very significant" deficiencies.

Jack Bensimon, the anti-money laundering adviser at Toronto-based Securefact, said he wasn't surprised to hear about the results of the examinations, given the lack of knowledge about best practices amongst real estate professionals. "There are very, very few real estate brokerage firms that I've come across that actually have dedicated compliance staff," Bensimon said. The low levels of compliance in the sector are problematic because real estate is highly vulnerable to money laundering, according to Bensimon. "Canada is known to be a safe haven for parking investment capital," he said, adding that it's fairly easy for criminals to disguise the initial source of the cash by transferring several times, a process referred to as the "layering approach."

The Canadian Real Estate Association said it has provided training for its members with regard to preventing money laundering.

...right foot...

https://twitter.com/FIVRE604/status/768603014928015360

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

We would re-elect the Liberals anyway because the opposition parties are just as bad. Like when is the last time you even heard of the ONDP doing anything? And the only reason you hear about Brown is when he puts his foot in his mouth and makes it clear that if you're not socially conservative, you can't vote PC.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dude, it's the Toronto Sun.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Unrelated but I was listening to As It Happens thirty minutes ago or so and they had this piece about involuntary mental health treatments. It's really surprising that the practice exists in Canada (in BC at least). There's a globe and mail article about it. Relevant info:

We have them here in Ontario too, but an involuntary patient has the right to demand a review of their case, and making that demand suspends the facility's power to compel treatment. I've done Form 1 holds, they're a giant pain in the rear end and the doctors always seemed pretty miserable about them too.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flakeloaf posted:

We have them here in Ontario too, but an involuntary patient has the right to demand a review of their case, and making that demand suspends the facility's power to compel treatment. I've done Form 1 holds, they're a giant pain in the rear end and the doctors always seemed pretty miserable about them too.

I read Ontario Review Board(NCR reviews) and Consent and Capacity board cases regularly for work. The sheer volume is staggering. There's easy a hundred or two of these hearings every month.... maybe more.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Dude, it's the Toronto Sun.

Speaking of hard hitting canadian journalism.... CBC is reporting on pepe the frog now too.

quote:

Trump surrogate Roger Stone also shared the image, which included likenesses of Trump, Stone, InfoWars host Alex Jones, and perhaps most controversially, Pepe the Frog, an icon often shared by alt-righters to cryptically communicate white-supremacist sentiment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-trump-deplorables-rallying-cry-alt-right-hillary-clinton-meme-1.3760971

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 14, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Pepe the frog, alt-right internet icon :lol:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

stop the election I want to get off

if it's this bad this cycle, how bad is gonna be in 2020?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I wonder if this qualifies for the teacher supply tax credits

quote:

Toronto teacher fed up with hot classroom spends $500 on air conditioner*
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/toronto-teacher-heat-warning-1.3761121?cmp=rss

*Jill Donald relies on three fans to keep her classroom cool. Unfortunately, an air conditioning unit she tried didn't work as well. (Jill Donald/Submitted)

edit: also some finance stuff

OMERS is writing down some losses on 100m with golf smith / golftown

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-14/golfsmith-files-for-bankruptcy-with-sport-s-popularity-fading

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 14, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The goddamn Charizard...

I mean I know Pokemon is popular with people in their 20s and 30s but it's hard not to see that sign and think these banks are trying to rip off children.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jm20 posted:

Pepe the frog, alt-right internet icon :lol:

Is that not the case? It was my understanding that it was being widely used that way.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Is that not the case? It was my understanding that it was being widely used that way.

Pepe became too mainstream so they are taking him back one antisemitic/trump image macro at a time.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

We didn't exactly need it, but it's generous of the right to tip its hand in showing appreciation for the impeachment of an elected political figure by a room full of grotesquely corrupt, business-tied aristocrats. They even package it with a witty funny joke like tying the event to some sort of voter uprising.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lobok posted:

The goddamn Charizard...

I mean I know Pokemon is popular with people in their 20s and 30s but it's hard not to see that sign and think these banks are trying to rip off children.

Charmander. Do you see wings? :colbert:

Still it's amazing how much The Simpsons applies to this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mojo1701a posted:

Charmander. Do you see wings? :colbert:

Yeah yeah I don't know all the pokey-mans.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-vacant-home-tax-1.3761496

Empty home tax coming to Vancouver. Hopefully this helps crash the market and maybe I'll be able to afford my own place one day :unsmith: Thanks Gregor you handsome stud.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I was just reading through my super-bougie health insurance benefits booklet and I was struck by the blanket refusal to treat anything related to intentional acts of self-harm, explicitly noting that this refusal applies *regardless of whether the acts were committed while sane or insane*.

While I have never attempted or completed any form of self-harm (at least by any relevant definition), it seems bizarre to me that this form of illness can continue to be treated differently to any other. I can understand that we wouldn't want to cover a completely sane man who harms himself for gain - if any such person indeed exists - but pretending that an injury isn't an injury because of mental illness is awful.

Frankly, it's grossly discriminatory and I'm not sure why it and similar provisions haven't been struck down on human rights grounds. I can't imagine refusing to treat illnesses that are common in groups falling along other protected grounds (no HIV/AIDS treatment, no sickle-cell anemia support, no treatment of ovarian cancer, etc.)

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 14, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-vacant-home-tax-1.3761496

Empty home tax coming to Vancouver. Hopefully this helps crash the market and maybe I'll be able to afford my own place one day :unsmith: Thanks Gregor you handsome stud.

I was just reading that, due to the foreign buyer tax a lot of that money is coming into the GTA/Golden Horseshoe. Houses in Kitchener-Waterloo are going for 70-80 over asking.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

I was just reading that, due to the foreign buyer tax a lot of that money is coming into the GTA/Golden Horseshoe. Houses in Kitchener-Waterloo are going for 70-80 over asking.

How much of that money is laundered?

(Hint: All of it http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fintrac-real-estate-money-laundering-1.3761343 )

quote:

Canada's anti-money laundering agency conducted on-site examinations of more than 800 real estate companies over four-and-a-half years and found "significant" or "very significant" deficiencies during 60 per cent of those visits, new data shows.

A document obtained by The Canadian Press through an Access to Information request shows that Fintrac conducted 823 examinations of companies in the real estate sector between 2012 and mid June of this year.

The federal anti-money laundering watchdog found "significant" deficiencies with the anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing controls at 468 of those companies, while 28 companies had "very significant" deficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers.

There's a reason that a 1bedroom+den/1bathroom condo at Regent Park goes for 80k over asking these days.