Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Daktari posted:

Like you are trying to talk with a potato in your mouth/ throat , from a Norwegians pow.

From any Germanic language speaker's point of view, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

steinrokkan posted:

It's perfectly fine to call places names that work better in your language than whatever the locals call them. The alternative is to twist your tongue every time you try to talk about a foreign topic.

I don't care how Copenhagen is pronounced by Danes, it's Kodaň for me. Roma is Řím, Delhi is Dílí, Paris Paříž etc.

Yes, it's fine, but don't say the locals are wrong. Kentuckians in Versailles aren't mispronouncing their hometown.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry, is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

couldn't help

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwells Demon posted:

"Urban" county is still a reasonable stretch. Wasco county (mid-top) has only 25k people in the whole county. Tillamook the same. Malheur County is red and bigger than two of the green ones (at a heady 31k), but all the population is essentially a suburb of Boise, Idaho.

It might also be related to the configuration of the population. Like, I've only been through Tillamook and Clatsop once but I remember it being primarily wilderness with a few towns dotted on the coast. That's different from "a fair number of people, but they're also all farmers/commuters".

But most likely it's just proximity to Portland/the 2-3 other notable metro areas, oh and Medford too.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Peanut President posted:

It's funny you mention Indiana because I'm curious how all the European supermen itt would pronounce "Kosciusko County".

There's a subway stop in Brooklyn of this name. Most conductors say Kah-žu-sko street, less frequently kah-zee-ah-sko street.

Named for https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Kościuszko, an interesting figure in the American Revolution

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofaloaf posted:

We fixed that nonsense here in America by just not caring about alleged proper spelling, hence Edinboro, Pennsylvania and Wooster, Massachusetts. God bless.
Dog, Worcester, MA gets pronounced the same as its namesake city in England (and the shire it's in). Well, same besides the accent, you know, which means the locals make the o more like i and the er more like a.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It sounds like a Saxon trying to say "Kopenhagen", lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Pure projection on the part of the Norwegians, who pride themselves on having the best ear for Scandinavian languages among the three nations. While Danish pronunciation can differ greatly from spelling, sometimes dropping entire sounds, this follows entirely consistent rules which other Danish speakers have no problem dealing with. The real issue is that Danish had evolved rapidly since the end of WWII, when inter-Scandinavian intelligibility was remarkably high, while the insular and conservative Norwegians guard their language like the French.

System Metternich posted:

It sounds like a Saxon trying to say "Kopenhagen", lol
So, the problem is that some English-speakers pick the wrong German dialect?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean English?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pure projection on the part of the Norwegians, who pride themselves on having the best ear for Scandinavian languages among the three nations. While Danish pronunciation can differ greatly from spelling, sometimes dropping entire sounds, this follows entirely consistent rules which other Danish speakers have no problem dealing with. The real issue is that Danish has devolved rapidly since the end of WWII, when inter-Scandinavian intelligibility was remarkably high, while the insular and conservative Norwegians guard their language like the French.

:eng101:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do you think it is impossible for English speakers to pronounce 'ah', there's nothing specifically German about the phoneme

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Do you think it is impossible for English speakers to pronounce 'ah', there's nothing specifically German about the phoneme
They're not supposed to use an 'ah' sound.

Dropping useless features is as much evolution as gaining useful new ones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're not supposed to use an 'ah' sound.

They don't with you :smuggo:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Speaking of languages, I don't know why forum software don't support DOT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_(graph_description_language)

It would very easy to make diagrams using dot in a post. Is also a language with strong open source support, so integration would be easy.

It would even be possible to translate english sentences to DOT diagrams with emoji symbols, It would be a single language that all humans beings would be able to understand.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

Speaking of languages, I don't know why forum software don't support DOT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_(graph_description_language)

It would very easy to make diagrams using dot in a post. Is also a language with strong open source support, so integration would be easy.

It would even be possible to translate english sentences to DOT diagrams with emoji symbols, It would be a single language that all humans beings would be able to understand.

Yeah, I often find myself wondering "Why aren't there more emojis around"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't see why ahgen is more wrong than aygen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I don't see why ahgen is more wrong than aygen.
It wouldn't be, if not for context. The etymological origin of Coepenhahgen is an insincere attempt at seeming cultured or respectful, and this colors any use of the pronunciation, even if the speaker is unaware of the origin.

e: It is equivalent to pronouncing Algiers like the French Alger, in an attempt to use the proper native name.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 14, 2016

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I am irrationally annoyed that the projection used here is centered on the USA instead of Oregon. Also at the use of drop shadows.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Golbez posted:

I am irrationally annoyed that the projection used here is centered on the USA instead of Oregon. Also at the use of drop shadows.

Youve never been to Dark Oregon?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Golbez posted:

The shadows are an insincere attempt at being respectful to Oregon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm going to go ahead and say Building 61 is the best.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

e: :argh:

twoday fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 14, 2016

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

That's a weird maze.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Golbez posted:

I think it's important to represent the Upside Down in maps.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The etymological origin of Coepenhahgen is an insincere attempt at seeming cultured or respectful, and this colors any use of the pronunciation, even if the speaker is unaware of the origin.

e: It is equivalent to pronouncing Algiers like the French Alger, in an attempt to use the proper native name.

People pronounce a word in their own language either in the way they've heard others do, or in the way they guess from the spelling. Saying Copenhahgen for either reason is not insincere, and insincerity isn't a thing that can be transmitted through time by sharing a pronunciation.

Besides, foreign place names in any language frequently originate with people trying to use the native name, and getting it wrong. Almost nobody minds.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's awful / special about this?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Well it's in Chico so they're all awful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

What's awful / special about this?

I just felt that somebody needed to post a map of something. I've never been to California or heard of this complex, though it looks awful. I took a political position by saying that building 61 is the best. Living in human storage facilities like that is not the way people were meant to exist.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cheerfullydrab posted:

I just felt that somebody needed to post a map of something. I've never been to California or heard of this complex, though it looks awful. I took a political position by saying that building 61 is the best. Living in human storage facilities like that is not the way people were meant to exist.

You're that upset about mediocre condos? Honestly having some storage lockers and a preschool on site is pretty decent.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Let me tell you about a little book called The Death and Life of Great American Cities

(though I'm not sure it would necessarily apply to Chico)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

How about this politically contentious map?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

fishmech posted:

You're that upset about mediocre condos? Honestly having some storage lockers and a preschool on site is pretty decent.

How did I not notice the preschool? I guess it seems like an okay place for young families.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

cheerfullydrab posted:

Humans originally lived in clay hives in the ground.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danir hafa vitanlega forþýskast heil ósköp og eru í raun ekkert annað en Þjóðverjar í afneitun líkt og Austuríkismenn og Hollendingar. En Kaupmannahöfn er þó skemmtilega gegnsætt orð. Höfn þar sem kaupmenn starfa. Annars er Danmörk alveg allt í lagi ef manni líkar við reiðhjól, repjuakra og rauð múrsteinahús.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why do you wanna live where you have to deal with the noise of the pool, the mini storage, and the playground?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baka-nin posted:

How about this politically contentious map?

(Re-hosted on imgur so that people using https can see it too.)

I'm the redundant Klavdia III off the southwestern border. I guess it's an emergency backup, in case they break the one in the Iadara Sector.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut President posted:

Why do you wanna live where you have to deal with the noise of the pool, the mini storage, and the playground?

Ah, a goon who can't stand hearing normal people have fun. And the terrible noise of things staying in place in a storage facility. :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cheerfullydrab posted:

Living in human storage facilities like that is not the way people were meant to exist.

i've never seen a goon be anti-dwelling before. i guess we're supposed to live in the open in forests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i've never seen a goon be anti-dwelling before. i guess we're supposed to live in the open in forests?

People should live in nasty old rotting post-industrial cities in apartments above vape shops and dingy grocery stores, not in huge condo building mazes.