Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shugojin posted:

How the hell did Ernie Bushmiller make so many funny strips out of the same basic cloth

like this is still basically the same "x thing for a week" format that people use nowadays and it's terrible but somehow he's making it funny???

Because he's using the same premise all week not teh same punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 17, 1929)

Bloom County

Peanuts (September 17, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 28-29, 1929)

So here we are at Black Tuesday again, and our cowboy heroes are about to asphyxiate themselves.

Thimble Theater (April 3, 1930)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Okay I thought the last one was some kind of elaborate edit. What the Hell is going on.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

That doesn't look like a mudskipper to me. Probably should have gone with Log.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"So--uh--Jordan," Rex looks down at his feet and scuffs the ground with his toe, "you maybe wanna get dinner sometime?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

His sister literally mailed that last night, and it was delivered this morning. That's some drat service from the Post Office right there.

Edit:

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 14, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I thought the last one was some kind of elaborate edit. What the Hell is going on.

God help us, Batuik's trying to do a Crankshaft dream adventure.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I didn't think I could hate a character more than nerd Peter Griffin and nerd Quagmire but boy do I loathe the nerd grrl in intelligent life

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Yay! The bingo story didn't end with Elly winning and all the ladies hating her! :toot:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Another day, another demand by Brooke that you must listen to him.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

:wtc: is it time to push Breathed into a Dumpster?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:golfclap:

:eyepop:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Safety is third. :colbert:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Gucci pumps like the one she is describing are going to cost around $1500+ and certainly won't be sold in the type of store where you can just grab some sneakers and sensible flats right off the shelves and stand around holding them. If you are gonna be all "Women be shopping amirite? 'cept those nerd girls! They're not like "other girls," they are special and beautiful and different" don't gently caress it up so much that you make actual nerd girls so mad about your incompetence :argh:

I don't know why this bothers me so much. I guess because it perpetuates the stereotype that as a woman you can be into either woman stuff like shoes and yoga or boy stuff like comic books and video games and Star Trek, which is dumb cause it (a) insinuates that girl stuff is boring and dumb by nature (not to say that shoes and yoga aeating yogurt are boring and lame, but that is certainly the tone taken by this comic) and (b) you can't like girl stuff and also boy stuff at the same time because those are mutually exclusive. You can tell the one gals fun and cool like dudes because she don't cotton to them fancy shoes not like them airheaded cheerleaders! :downswords:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

EasyEW posted:

Bloom County

I'm trying to wrap my head around what is happening? The writing is so schizophrenic. Is Rosebud the basselope having gender identity issues? Or is Opus just acting like a loon?

FWIW One of the last arcs of the original series involved Rosebud having jackabasselopes with Hodge Podge. I don't know how the intervening years made her younger and sprightlier (or with blue antlers), and most of me doesn't want to know.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

The MSJ posted:

Didn't it last for more than a week?

It looks like the trapeze artist falling started on July 25, the first "It happened" was on the 27th, Tracy comes out of the crowd on the 28th...nothing really happens until August 2, a Sunday recap. The trapeze artist was shot. A few more "it happened", and on August 7, a clown tells Tracy that a phone call warning that the trapeze would be shot had been received. August 9 is another Sunday recap, so it has an "it happened" in it.

Call it two weeks to be generous.

The plot goes on from there...The ringmaster is in the witness protection program (lousy job for someone trying to lie low, ain't it?). He also shot a man, as FBI agent Karen Ennen tells Tracy. On September 2, we first see the tiger. Just under a week is spent by Tracy taking to a hand holding a gun. The hand belongs to a square-faced clown from back at the beginning of the story. About the 20th of September he threatens everyone with said gun to make them get into the tiger cage. They're finally in by October 5. Strongman Fee Fi holds onto the tiger's tail. By October 20, Tracy leaps for a trapeze above the tiger cage. Apparently the tiger can't jump as high as Dick Tracy. By November 1, the square faced clown is confronted by police, and climbs to the top of the tiger cage. He is confronted by Fee Fi. Square-face shoots Fee Fi, who drops him into the tiger cage. The tiger is quieted by strongwoman Barb Els, of whom it seems fond. It all wraps up by November 24 with no one being eaten by the tiger, which for Dick Tracy is a bit of a cheat. And Karen Ennen is not run over by a locomotive.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

:wtc: is it time to push Breathed into a Dumpster?

It has been for a while, because this comic sucks, but now more than ever.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

dismas posted:

This one is pretty good.

It's one of my favorites. Schulz paces the gag perfectly,.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm guessing that he drove his bus under/through some kind of "Predinator" ad, the big plastic/fiberglass figure got stuck on the roof, and now they're all such abominable shitheads that they haven't noticed that it hasn't moved, blinked, or shot any of them yet.

Mind you, I'd be delighted if this strip was just turning into a weird, absurdist thing, like "Heathcliff," but...it's Batiuk, so the lamest answer is almost certainly the right one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trilobite posted:

I'm guessing that he drove his bus under/through some kind of "Predinator" ad, the big plastic/fiberglass figure got stuck on the roof, and now they're all such abominable shitheads that they haven't noticed that it hasn't moved, blinked, or shot any of them yet.

drat it, this is definitely the answer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trilobite posted:

the lamest answer is almost certainly the right one.

So it's a dream sequence

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

gleebster posted:

It looks like the trapeze artist falling started on July 25, the first "It happened" was on the 27th, Tracy comes out of the crowd on the 28th...nothing really happens until **snip** Dick Tracy is a bit of a cheat. And Karen Ennen is not run over by a locomotive.

Starts here?:
Dick Tracy (July 2009)

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (August, 1930)

Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

They’ll Do It Everytime (December 1939)

Mopsy (June, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (October 1970)

True North

That's all I have for True North.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Slammy posted:

Starts here?:
Dick Tracy (July 2009)

You know, I think of myself (perhaps erroneously, I dunno) as being fairly forgiving with regards to strange or bad artistic decision, but goddamn every single example of the tiny, tiny arms in the Dick Tracys from this era is driving me nuts. It's like a peak into an alternate universe where man evolved from T-Rex.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set celebrates capitalism.

Working Daze <nerd reference>.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows one of these things is not like the others.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

kith_groupie posted:

I don't know why this bothers me so much. I guess because it perpetuates the stereotype that as a woman you can be into either woman stuff like shoes and yoga or boy stuff like comic books and video games and Star Trek, which is dumb cause it (a) insinuates that girl stuff is boring and dumb by nature (not to say that shoes and yoga aeating yogurt are boring and lame, but that is certainly the tone taken by this comic) and (b) you can't like girl stuff and also boy stuff at the same time because those are mutually exclusive. You can tell the one gals fun and cool like dudes because she don't cotton to them fancy shoes not like them airheaded cheerleaders! :downswords:

Not much to add to this, I mainly want to say I agree with it. It drives me nuts when people talk down "girl stuff" just because it's girl stuff, especially when they do so under the guise of feminism. I like "boy stuff", but lots of girl stuff is pretty awesome, too. I don't know what kind of cretin you have to be to poo-pooh a spa day or a great pair of shoes.

Luann

I like a good BM, too, but somehow I don't think it means what they think it means.

The Amazing Spider-Man

And now you've perforated his eardrum. Good work, Scott.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

"By the way, I'm not Daredevil."

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

Not much to add to this, I mainly want to say I agree with it. It drives me nuts when people talk down "girl stuff" just because it's girl stuff, especially when they do so under the guise of feminism. I like "boy stuff", but lots of girl stuff is pretty awesome, too. I don't know what kind of cretin you have to be to poo-pooh a spa day or a great pair of shoes.

The stupid comic isn't trying to reach an actual female audience. It's just stoking a perfect-girl fantasy for an assumed 100% male nerd audience.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Kafe Kablooie Katering, eh?

That's not good.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

ugh

Between Shots

Ella Cinders

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 22, 1951)

Nancy (October 6, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 19, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 4, 1923)

Barney Google (July 5, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 4, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 3, 1937)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (October 6, 1943)

You know, another thing modern Nancy is totally missing is this guy. He and Nancy's interactions are always great.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

It really is fascinating just how much Adam Ames reads like some weird chatbot version of a 1950s soap strip.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

But...that's where you got them...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This will prove this guy is totally the same dude, as a simple code phrase between us is perfectly secure and can in no way just be told to other people.

Seriously, why bother with this here with these guys? I get that the Ghost Who Walks shtick is all about scaring criminals, but why bother with these guys? The Phantom reguarly spoils his non paranatural nature in casual conversation with strangers.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Seriously, why bother with this here with these guys? I get that the Ghost Who Walks shtick is all about scaring criminals, but why bother with these guys? The Phantom reguarly spoils his non paranatural nature in casual conversation with strangers.

I'm seriously just waiting for the instructor to say something like "Yeah we know you're not the same Kit Walker. How stupid do you think we are?"

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Born Loser

Cul de Sac

Curtis

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Hägar the Horrible

Heart of the City

Heavenly Nostrils

Lockhorns

Office Hours

Pickles

Reply All

Retail

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

:stare:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Tiggum posted:

Office Hours

Fortunately, his doppelgänger was there to cover for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WickedHate posted:

You know, another thing modern Nancy is totally missing is this guy. He and Nancy's interactions are always great.

He died serving in the Navy SEALs in Viet Nam. God Bless America and Thank a Veteran If You Can Read Nancy!!! :patriot:

- GG

• Locked thread