Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Irritated Goat posted:

If I trade in a 6+, does it cover the cost of the 7+ on Verizon? poo poo yeah I'd upgrade for free.

Nothing is free, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

EmmyOk posted:

I got the three month trial for Apple Music and chose the university student set-up but it wasn't clear if I am still getting the three month free trial?

You are getting the three month free trial, it waits to charge you until it's over. I'm in the trial signed up as student on my third month right now, haven't paid yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hello Spaceman posted:

Settings -> Music -> iCloud Music Library -> Off.
Plug phone into computer. Start iTunes. Sync music as per normal.

(Coincidentally, you can follow these steps to sync music you own and then reenable iCloud Music Library to use Apple Music. Doing this prevents the iOS Music app re-downloading all the songs you already own.)

There is no 'iCloud Music Library' setting in the Music section. Does this option only show up if I have an Apple Music subscription?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I've been trying to update Google Chrome on my iphone 6 for some days now. It'll download, but while it's installing it'll just freeze there for a long time - just cancelled after 20 minutes. Is anyone having this issue?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Apple erased more inventory for upgrade people and I managed to get the phone I wanted on launch day. Thanks Tim!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

You are getting the three month free trial, it waits to charge you until it's over. I'm in the trial signed up as student on my third month right now, haven't paid yet.

Cool thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Consummate Professional posted:

Apple erased more inventory for upgrade people and I managed to get the phone I wanted on launch day. Thanks Tim!

T-Mobile people still hosed? Can't reserve one without being in store and release date?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

glassyalabolas posted:

General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger

do that if you want the old home button functionality.

Thank you for this.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

fourwood posted:

My battery was poo poo for a day or two and then settled out. Hopefully that's the case.

Yeah my battery isn't doing as well.

Also it's hard to post on SA because when my cursor moves in the text box the screen doesn't follow it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So uh, me and my wife both updated to iOS 10 yesterday on our 6S's. Neither of our phones charged when plugged in overnight. Mine actually died while plugged into the wall. Her's was at ~30% or something when she woke up. Is this a widespread issue? I'm not really seeing anything about the same issue, so weird that it happened to both of us.

It's honestly odd to me that it even died overnight even if it hadn't been plugged in. It's not like anything was running, what the hell was using the battery.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enojy posted:

It's weird that not one person at Apple felt the same way and thought, maybe we could let the user determine the brightness and/or opacity of these bubbles.
I think if you want to customise specific UI elements, iOS might not be the platform you're looking for.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is it possible to have iMessage notifications that only show the actual content when you unlock the phone with touchid? This seems like it should be obvious behaviour.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Is it possible to have iMessage notifications that only show the actual content when you unlock the phone with touchid? This seems like it should be obvious behaviour.

Notifications -> Messages -> show previews (or something like that)

disable it and you'll just get notified that you have a new message.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I have an SE and I'm noticing sometimes the phone wont acquire the network after this latest update. Anyone else having this issue? I also had the phone just reboot for no apparent reason last night.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have 1Blocker on my iPhone. Anyone else having ads show up in Safari now that they've updated to 10? It's toggled on in Settings for Safari, etc...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ddogflex posted:

So uh, me and my wife both updated to iOS 10 yesterday on our 6S's. Neither of our phones charged when plugged in overnight. Mine actually died while plugged into the wall. Her's was at ~30% or something when she woke up. Is this a widespread issue? I'm not really seeing anything about the same issue, so weird that it happened to both of us.

It's honestly odd to me that it even died overnight even if it hadn't been plugged in. It's not like anything was running, what the hell was using the battery.

Could it be that you blew a breaker earlier or accidentally turned off the power bar, if you are using one? iOS doesn't really let applications runaway with processing while not foregrounded.

I can say that my phone charged just fine last night...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

aBagorn posted:

Notifications -> Messages -> show previews (or something like that)

disable it and you'll just get notified that you have a new message.

You can still hard press to open the message on the lock screen, it just asks you to TouchID. Pretty decent implementation, I'm happy with it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

Could it be that you blew a breaker earlier or accidentally turned off the power bar, if you are using one? iOS doesn't really let applications runaway with processing while not foregrounded.

My wife's was dead this morning too, but sometimes her plug gets loose so I can't say anything yet. Probably nothing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Standard idiot question: I'm not due to receive my 7+ until October 7th but was wondering what is the best way to back my 6+ up: should I plug into iTunes via my desktop or can I just back up with iCloud and it's all gravy?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

ddogflex posted:

Strangely enough, I had this same problem the day before yesterday. I've been on iOS 10 since beta 1 though. I plugged my phone in like normal at midnight and woke up at 7 to a 53% charge. I thought I just must have not plugged it in all the way, somehow.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hello Spaceman posted:

Settings -> Music -> iCloud Music Library -> Off.
Plug phone into computer. Start iTunes. Sync music as per normal.

(Coincidentally, you can follow these steps to sync music you own and then reenable iCloud Music Library to use Apple Music. Doing this prevents the iOS Music app re-downloading all the songs you already own.)

Oh man, this almost works. But it still always shows anything in your purchased list in the library, regardless of whether or not it's been downloaded or synced.

It's actually nice that re-enabling iCloud Music Library doesn't delete stuff you've previously downloaded from Match, since my primary way of getting music on my phone is downloading from Match and then playing only local stuff.

I suppose my use case is kind of an outlier, since I do the majority of my listening on the head unit in my car (can't listen at work, no useful public transit here) with a USB connection using I assume the old iPod control protocol. With the iOS9 music app, if I turned on the little "show downloaded music only" toggle, it applied to the default playlist that the head unit would see, and would only play locally stored music. Now it seems to default to the entire library.

So like I said, turning off iCloud Music Library (and back on if I want to download something remotely), gets me 95% of the way there, if only I could hide purchased but not downloaded tracks.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

Fuses blow. Breakers "trip". Unless something really bad happened. :science:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Fuses blow. Breakers "trip". Unless something really bad happened. :science:

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... But I read this as "my wife was dead this morning" so you never know:

Feenix posted:

My wife's was dead this morning too, but sometimes her plug gets loose so I can't say anything yet. Probably nothing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
How exactly does a plug "get loose" when no force is acting on it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Taima posted:

Pets. Small movements of furniture and a loose plug. My cat's accidentally turned off my power bar, moving my side table a bit has sometimes slightly moved the plug for my lamp enough to break the connection, maybe you pick up the phone at night to fart around on social media and accidentally pull too hard and disconnect the plug, maybe the supernatural exists and your house is haunted.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

I tried jiggling my plug in my wife's slot last week and wasn't able to transfer any juice. I think it's common for late model wives

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xzzy posted:

There is no 'iCloud Music Library' setting in the Music section. Does this option only show up if I have an Apple Music subscription?

Hmm I think I might have understood the issue you're experiencing, sorry. I assumed you do use Apple music, but only only want to see your synced songs in your library.

I have content syncs from iTunes as well as Apple Music content in my library, but selecting "Downloaded Music" only shows me the stuff synced from iTunes (because I've not saved any Apple Music albums to my phone).
In this mode it says "Showing only music on this iPhone" - is that what you were referring to?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Pivo posted:

Nah, she has a lamp on her nightstand and it was working this morning. And we use different outlets, so couldn't be a power strip being off (we don't use one on either side).

I honestly didn't have time to try charging my phone in the bedroom this morning though. I'll see if it looks right when I plug in tonight. Just an odd coincidence that iOS 10 came out and both of us somehow managed to not plug our phones in correctly or something like that, which has never happened before in years of having iPhones. I've also just never had my phone die overnight when it was sleeping. Even if I went to bed with like 10%.

I did use the same lightning cable to charge in my kitchen while getting ready and it worked fine.

Who knows. I'll see if it happens again tonight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I tried jiggling my plug in my wife's slot last week and wasn't able to transfer any juice. I think it's common for late model wives

Impressed you found the slot. After all these years I find it be secured by tightly wound blankets. Any time I've managed to get through that barrier there's an irresistible force holding the outer leg apparatuses secure with a shrieking alarm saying "not tonight!"

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Consummate Professional posted:

Came to say this as well. Got an email from Apple, checked my local store this morning and got a 7+ 128gb reserved on launch day via the internet.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Standard idiot question: I'm not due to receive my 7+ until October 7th but was wondering what is the best way to back my 6+ up: should I plug into iTunes via my desktop or can I just back up with iCloud and it's all gravy?

If you do an ENCRYPTED iTunes backup your 7+ should come pretty close to the way your 6+ is, with passwords and everything. If you do an iCloud Restore you'll get your apps back with most of your settings, but passwords won't come over plus some other stuff. Also, the iCloud backup can take a few hours to download all of your apps

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a 128 Rose Gold 7 at the Fifth Ave Apple store reserved for Friday. Check in time is 8:30. Does that mean they'll have it ready for me, and I can walk up and grab it? I'm sure that store is going to be a complete madhouse Friday morning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My view has been: encrypted iTunes only for deliberately switching phones, keep iCloud on always for unexpected things (loss, theft, failure)

Taima posted:

Unless you're in space, there is always at least one force acting on it, and with a loose enough receptacle, it's entirely possible for a plug to fall out on its own. (If this is the case, you should replace your receptacle, though.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I think you'll find it's a problem with the plug.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I need some replacement old fashioned wired 3.5mm earphones.

What cheaper, reasonable alternatives are there to the official ones with a feature complete inline remote?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

So far the "Golden Age Hip-Hop ('87-'92)" station in Apple Music hasn't played a single song earlier than 1998

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just got my 7+ leather case in the mail. Now I need a phone for it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think you'll find it's a problem with the plug.

I mean it's a little worn down from age but it works fine on newer devices

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Pissflaps posted:

What cheaper, reasonable alternatives are there to the official ones with a feature complete inline remote?

These are what I use and sound like they tick all your boxes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDREX...y+in+ear+inline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Pissflaps posted:

I have these and like them.

These should be good too.