Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
First Kraken, hoo boy! In a Bogatyr... coward sniper BBs get nothing! Setting everyone in range of you on fire is a good way to end up with a bunch of kills without noticing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

Code you can redeem in the premium shop for 15x Equal Speed Charlie London and 15x Zulu signals along with 20k silver:

WEDIDITREDDIT20K

(NA server only)

To answer the post above, for battleship captains there are a couple schools of thought. A very common build focuses on repairs. You take Basics of Survivability, Expert Marksman, and then either High Alert, Vigilance, or Superintendant for an extra heal. For a level 4 skill I like Advanced Firing Training. This build is also good for AA.

Japanese and German BBs start to get long-ranged secondary batteries at tier 7. If you grind up enough exp to take the five point skill Manual Secondaries and fit the secondaries upgrade to your ship, they can be quite potent. For American BBs I think its probably better to use Concealment Expert for your 5 point skill. Or simply take more of those 3 point skills.

Also for an AA-heavy BB build you can skip the tier 5 skill and get two tier 4 skills, AFT and Manual AA. This is popular on Japanese and German BBs and isn't really needed on the US line.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/hmas-perth-on-the-horizon/

RAN ships, dunno if they'll get their own tree a-la the poles or if they'll be premium stuff for the RN so more people buy them

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

pnutz posted:

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/hmas-perth-on-the-horizon/

RAN ships, dunno if they'll get their own tree a-la the poles or if they'll be premium stuff for the RN so more people buy them

Don't think they'll be able to do a whole tree sadly - if they were going to, Perth would be the class name, rather than a premium.

Pretty sure they'll get their own page though, no RN captain training - Perth, Canberra, the battlecruiser Australia, Vampire or Voyager, one of the Towns because it's easy to reuse Weymouth assets

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 14, 2016

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Don't think they'll be able to do a whole tree sadly - if they were going to, Perth would be the class name, rather than a premium.

Pretty sure they'll get their own page though, no RN captain training - Perth, Canberra, the battlecruiser Australia, Vampire or Voyager, one of the Towns because it's easy to reuse Weymouth assets

that's why I mentioned the poles, since they have their own page in the tech tree for the bj blaskowitz

but hmas australia would be obvious to use vs the emden :yarr:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magni posted:

1. Basics of Survivability
2. Faster turret rotation
3. Superintendent because four heals
4. Advanced Firing Training imo because that extra secondary range gets handy in higher tiers and more AA is never bad
5. Depends on what specific ship. Concealment Expert can allow some dumb things, Manual Secondaries combined with secondary mods makes you melt things that get too close and there's the real option to just skip on a fifth-row skill entirely to grab more nice things lower in the tree like Vigilance or High Alert or Basic Firing Training etc.

Thanks! Really helpful. I messed up on one of the other BBs from before and gave it another skill instead of superintendent and that one seems obvious in retrospect. Also lol that they include the D&D toughness skill trap in this game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Also lol that they include the D&D toughness skill trap in this game.

It's not a bad choice for DDs, but yeah it's always funny when you see a Montana or Yamato using it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Not being able to grasp how skills scale is just painfully bad game design and I despair every time I see it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

El Disco posted:

It's not a bad choice for DDs, but yeah it's always funny when you see a Montana or Yamato using it.

The easy way to fix it is have it scale nearly exactly the same way Concealment Expert scales, perhaps even more generously to CAs and BBs, but Wargaming...

I reckon a fairly sizable minority (perhaps 10-15%) of BBs are wasting those 4 points on what is sometimes a 5% increase to HP.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I have no issue with pubbies wasting their points on bad skills.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vatek posted:

Not even when they are on you team? Cruising in alone thinking they are indestructible with the extra hit points.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Vatek posted:

yeah but they're usually on my team

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vatek posted:

It's bad game design. That slot could've been used for, idk, a good skill to make for a more meaningful choice.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

The easy way to fix it is have it scale nearly exactly the same way Concealment Expert scales, perhaps even more generously to CAs and BBs, but Wargaming...

I reckon a fairly sizable minority (perhaps 10-15%) of BBs are wasting those 4 points on what is sometimes a 5% increase to HP.

The absolute last thing high tier battleships need is more HP. You might be able to make a case for some degree of scaling for cruisers using the skill, but to scale the HP gain for battleships would be so much additional HP that it would simply make it that much harder for any class other than a battleship to kill a battleship. Or, in blunt terms, roughly equivalent scaling for a battleship to a destroyer would give them in the realm of 25k additional HP. That much additional HP basically would make it become a must-have for all battleships, simply because trying to fight someone who has it while you do not suddenly becomes very dubious.

Chill la Chill posted:

It's bad game design. That slot could've been used for, idk, a good skill to make for a more meaningful choice.

By this logic you might as well remove all the CV skills as well. Just because a skill is on the tree does not mean it's worthwhile for every single ship class. Destroyers get basically no use out of Vigilance either, and even with the 5.11 changes the Last Chance skill is not terribly workable even on T10s.

Because it actually is a rather decent pick for destroyers, and a subpar but workable choice for some cruisers. It's just pointless on battleships (and CVs, but any CV who doesn't just take ASE is already being dumb).

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 14, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Poil posted:

Not even when they are on you team? Cruising in alone thinking they are indestructible with the extra hit points.

They do that anyway, extra hit points or not. Then they bitch about OP destroyers. Fixing a skill isn't going to magically make bad players any less bad.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Based on this they might actually fix the Montana's deck armor :toot:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

Because it actually is a rather decent pick for destroyers, and a subpar but workable choice for some cruisers. It's just pointless on battleships (and CVs, but any CV who doesn't just take ASE is already being dumb).
Ironically I've seen several decent arguments for taking AFT (or manual AA on Hak/Midway) for extra anti-snipe power because the benefits of ASE are actually pretty small if you do the math, like an extra 1-2% chance to survive per tick on your planes and the decreased servicing time amounts to like less than a minute of saved time generally. Aeroon for example, who seems to play a decent amount of Hakuryu, actually has manual AA on his captain and seems to do just fine stomping all over people, so I'd say that ASE is more the default pick rather than the must take skill. Because of this I actually had AFT on my Essex for a little bit but since no one ever attempted to snipe me really I switched back to ASE just because I figured I might as well take that extra 1-2% survivability, plus the decreased service time is more noticeable on US CVs compared to IJN CVs (which all the smart people play unlike idiots like me).

Now Air Supremacy on the other hand... that's a skill you must have no matter what unless you want to lose every since fighter fight ever.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

Presently the only things that can cause flooding are torpedo hits and ramming (over a certain damage, I believe its inflicted on a 1k+ damage tick?). The only things to cause fire are a ship section being affected by the AoE of an HE shell, regardless of whether or not the HE munition (be it shell or bomb) actually hits the ship.

I'm sure the crew of the Bismarck wished it worked that way in real life. It was flooding caused by a hit from Prince of Wales that contaminated enough of Bismarck's fuel oil that led Lutjens and Lindermann to abandon their convoy hunting mission and head for Brest.

That same flooding also slowed down Bismarck by 3 knots, which most probably led to the fatal torpedo hit on her starboard rudder and rudder control room.

Japanese naval shells were also designed around the principle that near misses would be hydrodynamic enough to pass through the water and their targets side below the armor belt.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 14, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My North Carolina was just nuked by an Essex in a single strike about a minute into battle, 3 dive bomber squadrons, and then after that a torpedo bomber squadron hit me, and my superior AA backed by a Scharnhorst shot down just 3 planes, all of them dive bombers after they'd dropped their bombs.

You'd think they'd be able to come up with an AA system that isn't just a steaming heap of random poo poo by now.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 14, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Ironically I've seen several decent arguments for taking AFT (or manual AA on Hak/Midway) for extra anti-snipe power because the benefits of ASE are actually pretty small if you do the math, like an extra 1-2% chance to survive per tick on your planes and the decreased servicing time amounts to like less than a minute of saved time generally. Aeroon for example, who seems to play a decent amount of Hakuryu, actually has manual AA on his captain and seems to do just fine stomping all over people, so I'd say that ASE is more the default pick rather than the must take skill. Because of this I actually had AFT on my Essex for a little bit but since no one ever attempted to snipe me really I switched back to ASE just because I figured I might as well take that extra 1-2% survivability, plus the decreased service time is more noticeable on US CVs compared to IJN CVs (which all the smart people play unlike idiots like me).

Now Air Supremacy on the other hand... that's a skill you must have no matter what unless you want to lose every since fighter fight ever.

Eh, a fair point. Though stacking as many benefits as possible for fighter duels generally seems like a good idea to me, there are admittedly pros for AFT or Manual AA - though with already having to control 8 squadrons of aircraft, Manual AA seems like it'd be either cause wasted time controlling aircraft or be underutilized by most people. CV snipes also seem rarer when it's actually good players controlling both, since competent ones will generally stick near the fleet and thus benefit from other ships as well, as opposed to just picking off one that never moved. The decreased servicing time is noticeable on US CVs, but not too important on IJN ones.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oh, and more carrier fun, if you're thinking about grinding on your Ranger or Hiryu, just don't - extremely high chance you'll be opposed by a Saipan, and it is flat out impossible for either ship to defeat a Saipan, to that point that you'll even struggle to lay down any bomb or torpedo hits at all, so comprehensive is the Saipan advantage over you. It is far and away the worst pay2win instance in the game right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vatek posted:

They do that anyway, extra hit points or not. Then they bitch about OP destroyers. Fixing a skill isn't going to magically make bad players any less bad.
You can always hope, right? :(

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So what's up with people just stopping to shoot? I've been seeing it a lot the last week or three, and it never works out well.

Last match, our team had a Colorado just stop and sit broadside on and get wrecked.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Devorum posted:

So what's up with people just stopping to shoot? I've been seeing it a lot the last week or three, and it never works out well.

Last match, our team had a Colorado just stop and sit broadside on and get wrecked.

It can be a legit tactic. Not going max speed can make it hard to judge the placement of an initial salvo. At really low speeds it can sometimes even be hard to tell at a glance whether they are going backwards or forwards. That said it's good to mess with people early in a fight but they'll probably land a much better 2nd salvo if they have any brains. So it's not something you try and do for an entire game, especially if you're broadside on. Then it's just asking to die.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Full salvoes vs holding down LMB on targets in the open on ships like the St. Louis or Bogatyr? WSYG?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Full salvoes vs holding down LMB on targets in the open on ships like the St. Louis or Bogatyr? WSYG?

I'm partial to full salvoes because it gives you some time to look around between shots rather than keeping your vision locked on your target until they die or move out of range.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's valid, I hadn't thought of that aspect. I have a hard time not tunnel visioning when I'm in a ship with fast reloads.

The T3 German cruiser is such garbage. Same worthless range as the Dresden, but now you see things with 14-19km ranges.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

I'm partial to full salvoes because it gives you some time to look around between shots rather than keeping your vision locked on your target until they die or move out of range.

This right here is good advice.

Devorum posted:

If and only if you can be sure you'll see incoming fire it can be goddamn infuriating because you slam accelerate right as the salvo comes out and guarantee your citadel won't be under it. Problem is the follow on once you start moving and have established your acceleration. If you see those guys and can work with a platoonmate they're real fun targets.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Holding LMB can be a good idea when trying to get the lead right on a fast-moving ship like a destroyer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's when I started doing it first, actually. There were maybe three DDs when I was screening for a couple BBs, so I just turned wildly while walking my shots on target. Then I just kept doing it when I probably shouldn't have later on.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
reminder that you can shoot your guns without being zoomed in, it helps with holding LMB and maneuvering with fast reloading guns.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

El Disco posted:

Holding LMB can be a good idea when trying to get the lead right on a fast-moving ship like a destroyer.

I've been known to manually spray my shots a bit wider to have a better chance of hitting in those cases, for faster reloads I just fire the salvoes out pretty quickly once they start turning.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
I find the guns firing one-after-the-other is really satisfying but I've got to remember to just chuck the whole salvo at once if I've already got my aim in.

Also I really love having another CV buddy on my team, especially when they launch amazing strafes that kill 2 enemy fighters and my entire squad of loaded torpedo bombers.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just had a hilarious Colorado game. 150k damage featuring a cyclone that I gave no fucks about.

Just sailed right into it and came out with 2 kills and the majority of damage on a third including deleting a really dumb Omaha and a double citadel on a Texas.

Bonus points for dodging a CV torp drop and making the CV player really mad that my Colorado "turned on a dime."

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey guys, guess what. It is time for wargaming to talk about our favorite little real life pubbie ship.. the william d porter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-NzOvUTDyU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Blew 5 salvos in a BB completely whiffing on an AFK. The full stop strategy is OP as gently caress :downs:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There is only two ships you'll see me stop. And that is probably because I'm trying to slam it into reverse. DDs as a class, especially the gun boats. This is only because they are hiding in smoke. The other one will be the dunkerque. Because nothing is more hilarious than watching pubbies scratch their collective heads as you stop and go in reverse causing all their shells to land in front of you. Best yet, they like to figure this out while being broadside to you because if gives them more guns.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGOK3gMFUqE

Video for the aforementioned Colorado game

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I find myself really surprised by the fact that I really like destroyer gameplay. So far I've got the American line to the Nicholas and I'm very near the Minekaze.

If I were to pick one line to concentrate on, what should it be? I like them currently about equally. The American destroyers for their survivability and the Japanese destroyers for those lovely long range torps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
It depends on how long you are in it for...currently at T9/10 the USN DDs are both miles better than IJN. But both Russian DDs are at least as good as their USN counterparts or better again (Khab is probably the best ship in the game currently).

Also if you like stealthy long range torps, Fletcher is actually the best in the game for that. The Minekaze is the peak of the IJN line for that until Fubuki, but Fubuki is getting moved. There are changes incoming to IJN DDs and slight nerfs to the Russians so things may change.