Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

IDK man, the entire thing got super loving hot when a VM was going as well.

Yeah that's not normal. I use a 2015 MBP for work and I have at least 3 VMs running at any given time and it's pretty rare the fans are ever even audible, nevermind it getting warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah that's not normal. I use a 2015 MBP for work and I have at least 3 VMs running at any given time and it's pretty rare the fans are ever even audible, nevermind it getting warm.

Sounds like you got one of the rare good ones.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You guys should hear how loud the fans get when updating a windows 7 machine.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
quite frankly i think it's time to admit the amish had the right idea all along

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

I'm running Windows 10. No problems here
:same:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

What's the connection between trains and iPhone 7??

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Autists love em both!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zen death robot posted:

I'm running Windows 10. No problems here

Yeah Windows 10 has been fairly OK to me, although I dislike the overall "try really hard to look and act like a smartphone even if you don't have a touchscreen" poo poo like the auto-hiding scrollbars and the flat ungrouped/unsorted "ALL APPS" list

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah Windows 10 has been fairly OK to me, although I dislike the overall "try really hard to look and act like a smartphone even if you don't have a touchscreen" poo poo like the auto-hiding scrollbars and the flat ungrouped/unsorted "ALL APPS" list

I don't think Win10 does either of those things, or not in Anniversary edition anyway

like, I have a bunch of poo poo open right now and all of it has visible scrollbars, and my start menu has a "most used" section followed by a section for each letter starting the folder's name followed by the thing that looks like a WP8 start screen

Maybe they're settings you have to trip somewhere :shrug:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I was apprehensive about Win10 but yeah I've had like no problems with it or the way it organizes things compared to 7

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Buca di Bepis posted:

Lol if you think owning an older iPhone will be viable after apple obsoletes it with OS updates

Compared to Android phones, which recieve updates for like 2 months after release

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
i'm using a laptop with 10 installed and it's alright but i'm still a tad :tinfoil: about the telemetry and the data collection. like is there an actual legitimate reason for all of that poo poo? every time people brought it up in shsc other people would respond with "lol take off your tinfoil hat" without actually explaining why it's not a big deal

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a retard posted:

i'm using a laptop with 10 installed and it's alright but i'm still a tad :tinfoil: about the telemetry and the data collection. like is there an actual legitimate reason for all of that poo poo? every time people brought it up in shsc other people would respond with "lol take off your tinfoil hat" without actually explaining why it's not a big deal

What I understood the case to be when this was a Big Deal is that iOS and Android (particularly Android) (and maybe OSX???? not as sure about that one) already do all of this poo poo too and it's just The Way It Works Now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The removal of a tree'd start menu app shortcut structure and replacement with a flat list just aggravates me all to hell. The hiding scrollbar thing, it was on by default and was so obscure to find and disable that I don't remember now where it was but thank gently caress it's off because holy poo poo that was irritating (no mousewheel)

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

What I understood the case to be when this was a Big Deal is that iOS and Android (particularly Android) (and maybe OSX???? not as sure about that one) already do all of this poo poo too and it's just The Way It Works Now

so jack poo poo then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Augmented Dickey posted:

Compared to Android phones, which recieve updates for like 2 months after release

you dont have an android huh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

i need a trigger warning before anybody or anything refers to a 'program' as an 'app' on a PC

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
who needs a hierarchical start menu? I just say, "cortana, run paint.net" and quick as you please a bing webpage is opened with the search query "run paint.net".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah but talking to your computer is for queers

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i don't like that windows 10 puts web search results in the search thing in the start menu

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Well yeah but talking to your computer is for queers

Siri is great if you really want to pretend a woman is being nice to you

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah that's what I just said

corn in the bible posted:

i don't like that windows 10 puts web search results in the search thing in the start menu

me neither

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seriously though my browser, mail, and chat clients are pinned to my taskbar, whatever game I'm playing right now has a shortcut on my desktop, and for every other program in existence I just hit winkey and type its name and that takes care of it. If you don't like any of those solutions you could always actually use the fake WP start screen thing. There's not really anything forcing you to use the program list :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Google Now is the worst voice assistant because it makes it the hardest to pretend a woman is being nice to you

like, you say "tell me a joke" and it googles "joke" for you and you can't even say "thanks, cortana :rolleyes:" sarcastically because its name is "google" which is not a good name for a computer lady

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love how Microsoft's virtual assistant is named after a *takes deep breath* Surrogate mother-figure AI for a galaxy-travelling mass-murderer which eventually goes insane and tries to take over the universe.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

I love how Microsoft's virtual assistant is named after a *takes deep breath* Surrogate mother-figure AI for a galaxy-travelling mass-murderer which eventually goes insane and tries to take over the universe.

why would I want to pretend the person living inside my gaming PC was anything other than this exact thing :confused:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

honestly the story for how they settled on that name made total sense to me and though it is pretty silly it also honestly wasn't a bad decision- if you don't know the origin it's a pretty solid name for a computer lady that's quite distinct from Siri and if you do know the origin you laugh but still have a built in association with "helpful AI"

given their track record in similar areas I don't think they were going to come up with anything better

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Microsoft Kaylee

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For the record I'm pretty sure the way it went is that Cortana was the unofficial name during dogfood testing because engineers are huge dorks, and a petition went around to make them keep that name instead of changing it to Microsoft Windows LIVE Voice Assistant Scheduler Digi Pro 2014 With Reminders or something

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Microsoft Jill

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LGD posted:

Microsoft Jill

its full name of course would be Jill Bates

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

I had a 2015 Macbook pro for a job and it was poo poo. Sure it was fast, but as soon as you hooked up a external monitor and had a VM running the entire OS bogged down and started rendering things at 15fps. Even with a discreet GPU.

what the gently caress are you talking about I run VMs all the time on my mid-2014 retina Macbooks with 0 issues :confused: with docker now I just about always have some kind of VM running even if it isnt a heavy one but I could have a VMWare Win 10 VM running and it would perform great as would the rest of the native OS X processes. you done hosed something up son

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

installed the optional testicle warmer, which is actually pretty great

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im pretty sure one time my dog fell asleep on my macbook charger (the square brick part) and it burned his stomach and i had to treat the wound for like 2 weeks until it healed. think i could sue apple? those things do get really hot like if i have the charger out on the bed and i accidentally rest my skin (even through clothes) against that thing it is really uncomfortable

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like Apple needs to take notes from Microsoft and put a fan in their power brick.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sure, if you aren't compiling code or doing anything mildly CPU intensive.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

thathonkey posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about I run VMs all the time on my mid-2014 retina Macbooks with 0 issues :confused: with docker now I just about always have some kind of VM running even if it isnt a heavy one but I could have a VMWare Win 10 VM running and it would perform great as would the rest of the native OS X processes. you done hosed something up son

If you have to run vm all the time, why dont you buy a pc? Seems retarded if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

loquacius posted:

Google Now is the worst voice assistant because it makes it the hardest to pretend a woman is being nice to you

like, you say "tell me a joke" and it googles "joke" for you and you can't even say "thanks, cortana :rolleyes:" sarcastically because its name is "google" which is not a good name for a computer lady

Google is a good name for a lady's parts, but not for a lady!!!

• Locked thread