Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

goninzo posted:

What I find particularly weird is that so many of these posts tend to blame Sion for the TMC direction of Goonswarm, the concentration of power into CD to make decisions about the coalition, or deciding to eject BOS and keep hole violence based on the personalities involved.

I don't think Sion is anywhere nears as an important factor in these decisions. In the first instance, these were the policies put forward by The Mittani and the people who finance TMC, such as Steve and two other board members

nobody knows about any of this though

who is steve and who are the 'board members'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
I'm not reading that many words by crazy person kismeteer and neither should any of you

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

be like me and talk poo poo to faces

Yeah this is me too. I relish the opportunity for us to someday be in the same room to each other, talking poo poo to each others faces.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
are faxes kind of tanky?

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Don't doxx me! I am JohnHoe, there is no shame in my game.

Orange Red Bull posted:

Space Violence was a cult of personality originally built around Tolon aka Suas. In the 2013-2015 years when half of eve was rented out and many organizations struggled for content Suas would go afk for months at a time. Space Violence naturally would look to BOS, his corp for leadership in these times, which there was none outside of Suas.

The struggle for Space Violence was how to become an actual org outside of: hey we only x up when Suas is active and fcing.

In a lot of ways it was like a baby Black Legion.

Originally it was not. It started out a group of friends who shared an in-game channel and drunkenly argued with each other over stupid poo poo for fun. It officially became a squad probably 3 years after the channel first started. I was one of the first squad leaders in which we stood by our motto of "never doing poo poo". It was after Particle9 drunkenly burned out on EVE that he handed the channel and squad over to SUAS.

EDIT: Homeland Defense was also a splinter group of the original pre-SUAS SV when doanshoot unsuccessfully tried a coup on the squad. He and some of the shittier posters left and formed Homeland Defense.

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 14, 2016

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

I'm not reading that many words by crazy person kismeteer and neither should any of you

I READ IT CAN CONFIRM IT HURTS BAD

Daco Vato posted:

Yeah this is me too. I relish the opportunity for us to someday be in the same room to each other, talking poo poo to each others faces.

I was almost heartbroken to discover my PTO for Vegas was denied because rabble rabble trials and poo poo. :(

That does kind of make me want to consider Iceland, but gently caress I'm not going to a strange nordic country unless there are a bunch of goons going too.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Bonfire Lit posted:

EG basically crumbled when Vee stopped logging in, so you really want to have more than one FC that people fly with (sorry Mark and whoever else tried to get goons to undock).

EG crumbled when Vee stopped logging in and the next guy given main FCing duties there was Marine loving Rosger with his unique blend of dank meamies and uncontrolled raging over comms at the idea that someone else might have formed a fleet to attack 'his' targets.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Helicon One posted:

EG crumbled when Vee stopped logging in and the next guy given main FCing duties there was Marine loving Rosger with his unique blend of dank meamies and uncontrolled raging over comms at the idea that someone else might have formed a fleet to attack 'his' targets.

I'll point out that Vee is off happily playing Elder Scrolls Online, of all things.

There was a period where Akasha took over, we were getting like 30-40 dudes max, and I was having fun. But it was just hard to hold the bar so high. He was also doing all the logi, scouting, fcing, so it was a ton of pressure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dominix or however you spell his name was also really key for eg and also quit iirc

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

evilweasel posted:

Dominix or however you spell his name was also really key for eg and also quit iirc

Yeah, Domi did one last purge and then his real life took over. This is how eve goes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

goninzo posted:

Yeah, Domi did one last purge and then his real life took over. This is how eve goes.

Don't forget fairly thankless. Part of me yearns to run or help run a squad again and the offer has been made but I'm pretty sure I got all that enthusiasm beaten out of me years ago, and I wouldn't want to do it at all if it couldn't survive me burning out.

Basically I need a cute newbie who's super enthusiastic and wants to help goons have fun to re-spark my interest. He can take on my old role and I'd be the benevolent pappa Konno type.

Edit: gently caress phones.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 14, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Dominix should not have worked out but that was 2010 and it seemed funny to do things like put a 2-week newbie in charge of a squad because he made an effortpost.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Just a reminder that "goon-town" still exists for goons from all alliances to talk about whatever in game, if you actually log in. Nobody even knows who has mod at this point, so there will be no bannings or any of that.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Baculus posted:

I was almost heartbroken to discover my PTO for Vegas was denied because rabble rabble trials and poo poo. :(

That does kind of make me want to consider Iceland, but gently caress I'm not going to a strange nordic country unless there are a bunch of goons going too.

The weird thing about the Eve meetup events is that inevitably, the first time you go, you actually try to give a poo poo about the actual Eve content. Then, inevitably, CCP fails to deliver on it year after year, and you stop giving a poo poo about being made more empty promises. Hell, for a while, I had a rule of "only give a poo poo if CCP has a live demo that actually demonstrates that devs cared enough about this feature to implement a proof of concept" -- and then ghostfitting got demoed at Eve Vegas last year and then never shipped. :(

Plus, you start realizing that there's a whole lot of spergy neckbeards whose lives literally revolve around Eve that are more than a little creepy. At Eve events, I've seen grown men literally turn their backs to each other and refuse to speak upon finding out that they were in opposed alliances. WTF. (Personally, there's only three people in the entire game that I wouldn't share a pint and a laugh with -- and that has nothing to do with their game affiliation and everything to do with those 3 people proving to be legit IRL assholes on multiple occasions.)

All that said:

I'd strongly suggest visiting Iceland if you've never been there, whether or not you go as part of Fanfest. It's beautiful, it has great food, pretty much everyone can speak English, and it's relatively cheap in terms of travel costs from the US. If you go just before tourist season starts, you can get piss-cheap flights and lodging -- as in, just under $400 for a round-trip pair of nonstop flights between Boston and Keflavik.

Eve Vegas is fantastic just because Vegas is a cornucopia of sin and Eve nerds tend to have above-average IRL spending cash.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
CCP has old fanfest videos back to at least 2012 on their youtube channel. There's a great edit waiting to be made of promised features vs released features.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

by the way if anyone has any good station names for stations that have bad ones let me know as most have the best name I could think of in 15 seconds while flipping a bunch of them which is not exactly how i do my best work

besides the TIKLE my balls station that one is pretty good to me because I am a child

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
im a cute newbie who wants to have fun in goons teach me how to have fun and help goons have fun

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Divine Blob posted:

im a cute newbie who wants to have fun in goons teach me how to have fun and help goons have fun

find something you want to do and like to do, learn to do thing, and teach others to do thing while leading other goons in that thing until you burn out because you hate goons and hate thing

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

ullerrm posted:

Plus, you start realizing that there's a whole lot of spergy neckbeards whose lives literally revolve around Eve that are more than a little creepy. At Eve events, I've seen grown men literally turn their backs to each other and refuse to speak upon finding out that they were in opposed alliances. WTF. (Personally, there's only three people in the entire game that I wouldn't share a pint and a laugh with -- and that has nothing to do with their game affiliation and everything to do with those 3 people proving to be legit IRL assholes on multiple occasions.)

I've been at a few bob bbqs, one of which A GOON attended (in reality it was some mostly harmless dude) and he spent the whole time being an rear end in a top hat to everyone for being in an evil space guild, then someone repeatedly told him "clearly you like the cock" so he sucker punched the dude.. Also grown men wearing cloaks every day (and not as part of some sort of amarr role play). And then a dude that I sold a system in fountain to for 10bn per month came to one and held a speech in front of all attendants about how privileged he felt to be (paying) member of the GBC family and how amazing and professional my conduct in the rent talks had been and how lucky he was I took care of him as opposed to other less qualified rent managers. Then he gave me some expensive scotch. That and the embarassing Veto role play travelling troupe bus finally convinced me to only attend eve meet ups that I get to select the attendants to.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

dreamin' posted:

I've been at a few bob bbqs, one of which A GOON attended (in reality it was some mostly harmless dude) and he spent the whole time being an rear end in a top hat to everyone for being in an evil space guild, then someone repeatedly told him "clearly you like the cock" so he sucker punched the dude.. Also grown men wearing cloaks every day (and not as part of some sort of amarr role play). And then a dude that I sold a system in fountain to for 10bn per month came to one and held a speech in front of all attendants about how privileged he felt to be (paying) member of the GBC family and how amazing and professional my conduct in the rent talks had been and how lucky he was I took care of him as opposed to other less qualified rent managers. Then he gave me some expensive scotch. That and the embarassing Veto role play travelling troupe bus finally convinced me to only attend eve meet ups that I get to select the attendants to.

honestly is it a surprise though that these types of people show up

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

dreamin' posted:

mother of god

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

dreamin' posted:

the embarassing Veto role play travelling troupe bus

To be fair, two years ago, they gave us pictures of Sort Dragon kissing a gigantic purple jelly cock

This doesn't make it any less embarassing, but at least it's not completely useless

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
once i went to the local eve meet at a bar and there were 2 guys from my corp and a guy from widot and some other guys (include hardcore hisec guys) and we mostly shared funny stories about eve and some "what-ifs" and talked a bit about game mechanics but also other stuff

i mean really it's just a game but i guess not for somepeople

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

once i went to the local eve meet at a bar and there were 2 guys from my corp and a guy from widot and some other guys (include hardcore hisec guys) and we mostly shared funny stories about eve and some "what-ifs" and talked a bit about game mechanics but also other stuff

i mean really it's just a game but i guess not for somepeople

Oh god this reminds me my very first eve meet I joined up was some pubmeet and we only learned about it last minute so when we arrived it turned out it was customary to introduce yourself with your ingame credentials and then several guys from some hardcore highsec mission runner corp came over and wanted to shake our hands and said something like "OMG it's so great to get to meet a real nullsec person of such importance"

Also I could swear Veto had that giant pink dildo half a decade ago already

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

dreamin' posted:

gently caress.

IDK I wanted to do Vegas because apparently all the goons go and that's a good time. Although the only EVE person I actively do not want to ever encounter IRL is a shining member of our hosed up community, but I figure there's no way he could conceivably ruin Vegas. After all there are strippers and drugs and gambling.

I always assumed no one would give a poo poo about EVE politics at fanfest - because we're all in the minority (EVE-playing sacks of meat) out in the real world. And I could care less about CCP's presentations - I'd be more interested in poo poo the players have to say because we're more likely to see action on that front. But realistically I would probably just attend the big events and spend the rest of my time getting lit with goons.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ullerrm posted:

To be fair, two years ago, they gave us pictures of Sort Dragon kissing a gigantic purple jelly cock

lol if you don't have pictures of you tasting a giant plastic penis out there somewhere

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

lol if you don't have pictures of you tasting a giant plastic penis out there somewhere

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
I just want to go to a meetup and tell everyone that I'm jeffraider

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nice thread rename VG

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Daco Vato posted:

I just want to go to a meetup and tell everyone that I'm jeffraider

PLEASE DO THIS

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Unless you sound like him your voice will give you away immediately.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

find something you want to do and like to do, learn to do thing, and teach others to do thing while leading other goons in that thing until you burn out because you hate goons and hate thing

Not going to lie, I learned more about eve mechanics by teaching them than I ever did listening to someone else talk. Teaching forces you to work your way through the things.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
i tell people im the mittani but please call me alex irl

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

dreamin' posted:

it's like art. TBH I'd probably drink a beer with Molle. But then I'm not from the generation of goons that fought the BoB menace. My boogie man has always been PL.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 14, 2016

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not going to lie, I learned more about eve mechanics by teaching them than I ever did listening to someone else talk. Teaching forces you to work your way through the things.

It also has the bonus sideeffect of you saying something wrong and getting called out on it so you learn even more. Communication of ideas and experiments is huge for learning and cooperation in general, because eve is real life.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Landsknecht posted:

i tell people im the mittani but please call me alex irl

When people found out I played eve (like this girl I met) I always pretended to be some irrelevant highsec shitter (lol) lest I wake up with fatbee stickers in my backpack the next morning.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

When people found out I played eve (like this girl I met) I always pretended to be some irrelevant highsec shitter (lol) lest I wake up with fatbee stickers in my backpack the next morning.
don't worry, those stickers are reserved for your niece

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
I will point out that MY WIFE has been two goon meets where people were not 'cool'. Everyone else has been pretty good dudes in person, some remarkably so. We are looking forward to Eve Vegas, especially since some people who don't normally get out like Killah Bee is going to be there.

Second one we went to, leetcheese came to it and was kind of a dickbag to a lot of people. He talked about 'MY AVATAR' for literally hours since he just got it. And refused to talk about anything normal. His gf at the time was good at least. I ended up calling him out about it when I applied PL, he didn't remember bringing a girl, and he shut up pretty quick.

Much later on, May Zonday was his radio personality and kind of monopolizing the rock band. He was called out, he chilled, everything is fine the next go round.

Other than that, just the usual goon drama based off in-game stuff and not so much people being a complete dickbag. Even people like Xenuria were fine, who asked for a picture with me at eve vegas, which was amusing:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I went to a load of UK eve meets back in the day, they were all a thinly veiled excuse to get pissed up with people from IRC. CCP did do some official half baked London one where they hired the back room in a pub but I don't think they even bothered to turn up. At some point some sort of lovely prize giving for costumes or something happened but no one noticed because no one on this earth no matter how committed to the cosplay cause is going to walk past a London football club on a derby day in fancy dress. I have vague memories of people being pissed at CCP about it because it was right at the start of tournaments becoming a big thing and there wasn't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
you don't just impersonate people at EVE meets. Especially if they're really cagey types who never show their face to anyone, you impersonate but also do really pervy poo poo like hand out dick lollipops and such.

• Locked thread