Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At the time we were using it internally, but the goal was to eventually offer it as a service to customers. 2FA was less popular back then (3-4 years ago) and was not in-demand by customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Has anyone actually worked at a place where a disaster recovery\fault tolerance plan actually fucken worked properly?

It's always neglected and on the bottom of the priority list until poo poo hits the fan.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
No. I view them as more of a useful framework for understanding how hosed I am if anything goes wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're not doing an active DR test once a quarter or so and actively running on your DR environment with production being "offline", it is never going to work right. There's a reason why big boys like Netflix actively test their DR on a daily basis - http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/netflix-attacks-own-network-with-chaos-monkey-and-now-you-can-too/

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That's great assuming you can resource something like that. A lot of places probably can't even run through DR scenarios without destroying their janky environment completely.

Netflix is awesome, but technology is their business. Even big businesses with lots of money won't prioritize DR planning like they should, let alone actually see if the plan works.

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 14, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

If you're not doing an active DR test once a quarter or so and actively running on your DR environment with production being "offline", it is never going to work right. There's a reason why big boys like Netflix actively test their DR on a daily basis - http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/netflix-attacks-own-network-with-chaos-monkey-and-now-you-can-too/

Yupppp, we're so hosed on DR. We've never done a full failover test and never will at this rate. No one wants to slash everyone is sure it will destroy everything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup. Testing a DR plan is seen as a guaranteed way to create extra work, so it doesn't get done.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fudge posted:

That's great assuming you can resource something like that. A lot of places probably can't even run through DR scenarios without destroying their janky environment completely.

Netflix is awesome, but technology is their business. Even big businesses with lots of money won't prioritize DR planning like they should, let alone actually see if the test works.

Right. If you can't roll over your business to DR and have it run for a day, then the current setup is not sufficient. Management buy-in is super important for that. The understanding needs to be, if you do not provide us the resources and allow us to test regularly, a "DR setup" is more like of a guideline at best.

But, I realized I didn't answer your question. No, I have never worked in a place that could get through DR without causing a mess. I have implemented proper DR as a consultant.

Sorry to hammer it home, but it's just like backups. It doesn't count if you're not actively testing it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
At a previous job, we had to do a full annual test (per client requirements), so we actually got to see what worked and where our bottlenecks were.

At current place, it will be a poo poo show....

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Imagine my surprise when I see all the Server 2016 features on demand show up in the windows 10 group :fail:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 14, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if there's a better SQL thread, sorry if there is.

I'm not a SQL guy.

I got asked to troubleshoot some blocked processes on a server. It triggered an alarm when it reported 30 blocked processes a week ago. For the most part, it's usually zero with occasionally 2-3. For the last day it's been zero.

My understanding is that blocking is just a normal consequence of locking.

I get the impression that blocks aren't a problem unless they increase wait times.

Is there a way to check logs or set up a trigger to create a log entry when there's a block?

I'm mostly looking for a way to say "Hey, since this parameter wasn't affected, this is just a thing that happens sometimes, don't worry about it."

Or, if it's actually a problem, fix it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Did you introduce some poor quality offshore developers into production recently? That's how my locks appeared.

Seriously though, I had to bring in a fixer to handle my issues. mainly track down the five W's and break some fingers. If you have zero budget though sp_who2 (in a new SQL query window) will tell you what's going on as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Try this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2672629

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

incoherent posted:

Did you introduce some poor quality offshore developers into production recently? That's how my locks appeared.

Seriously though, I had to bring in a fixer to handle my issues. mainly track down the five W's and break some fingers. If you have zero budget though sp_who2 (in a new SQL query window) will tell you what's going on as well.

There are so many offshore people that it's probably more accurate to say that I'm the one who is truly offshore from the rest of the company.

I did find sp_who2, but it doesn't really tell me anything until I get a block. Is 30 a high number if it is infrequent, lasts a few minutes, and may have occurred during a backup?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Doh, that's in CoC, right? I didnt even think of SQL as being coding.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There are so many offshore people that it's probably more accurate to say that I'm the one who is truly offshore from the rest of the company.

I did find sp_who2, but it doesn't really tell me anything until I get a block. Is 30 a high number if it is infrequent, lasts a few minutes, and may have occurred during a backup?

if you already have it narrowed down to the backup window it's very likely that the backup is the problem.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zaepho posted:

if you already have it narrowed down to the backup window it's very likely that the backup is the problem.

I finally figured out how to read the logs from the backup jobs, and they don't actually intersect with the issue. :(

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I finally figured out how to read the logs from the backup jobs, and they don't actually intersect with the issue. :(

Doh!

If you have a monitoring solution that can react to the number of blocked processes, it migth make sense to have it execute sp_who2 and log the results at the time of the blocking. This should give you a way to look at what the problem processes are, which would then identify the rabbit hold to delve down deep into.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
RE: 2FA chat, we put in Duo at my current job and its been a breeze. Cheap too, the option we're using is $3/user/month. We use it for our VPN, OWA, and RD Gateway.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

RE: 2FA chat, we put in Duo at my current job and its been a breeze. Cheap too, the option we're using is $3/user/month. We use it for our VPN, OWA, and RD Gateway.

A bunch of our clients have been implementing Duo for 2fa, and it integrates very well with netscalers. It's comparatively easy to set up on them as well.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

At the time we were using it internally, but the goal was to eventually offer it as a service to customers. 2FA was less popular back then (3-4 years ago) and was not in-demand by customers.

thanks

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Doh, that's in CoC, right? I didnt even think of SQL as being coding.

In a just world, SQL/DBA threads would go in FYAD where they belong. But here we are.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I have MS SQL Server in a AOAG setup. I added SSRS report server database to the AOAG setup and configured a SSRS scale out deployment.

Everything is working as expected with the exception of accessing the SSRS URL through the SQL listener DNS name. (http://sql-listener/reportserver instead of using http://sql1/reportserver and http://sql2/reportserver)

I assume this probably isn't supported but any sort of workarounds or recommendation?

Cross posted to the SQL thread as well.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to programmatically change a file type association in Windows 10?

Under Windows 7 it was a simple case of exporting/importing a reg file. But if you try the same thing in Windows 10, then after the next reboot you get a system tray popup "There was a problem with a file type association" and it gets reverted to the default setting.

Two things I've tried so far are:
- Only importing the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\filetype" key (not the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext" one) then using the command line application "assoc .ext=filetype" to set the default setting.
This seems to work at first. If you run the "assoc .ext" command the correct application is displayed. But if you doubleclick a file, the new application is only offered as a choice and there is no checkbox to remember your setting so it opens once with the new application, and then resets to the default again.
- Using the "Dism /Get-DefaultAppAssociations" and "Dism.exe /Import-DefaultAppAssociations" commands. Here, the problem is that you cannot import single app settings, you can only overwrite the entire set of default apps. So if you run this on a computer with nonstandard apps installed, you are basically guaranteed to gently caress up things by deleting file type associations.

The reason I have to do this is that we have ancient .tiff files that only open in some lovely image viewer from the 90s.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is Group Policy an option? Because if so, I vote for using Group Policy.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Anyone that has tried disabling the Windows key in Windows 10? Did it work for any of you? We're trying to disable just the Win+L and tried a blanket solution for everything Windows Key related but nothing works. Policies, registry hacks, nothing works.

Has anyone been able to do it? Basically all we want is to not allow users to lock a workstation through any means.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

orange sky posted:

Anyone that has tried disabling the Windows key in Windows 10? Did it work for any of you? We're trying to disable just the Win+L and tried a blanket solution for everything Windows Key related but nothing works. Policies, registry hacks, nothing works.

Has anyone been able to do it? Basically all we want is to not allow users to lock a workstation through any means.

If this doesn't work you are SOL https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216893

orange sky
May 7, 2007

That didn't work but this did:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disableenable-lock-workstation-functionality-windows-l/

It's actually the first result on Google but I must have searched for some lovely terms before and it didn't show up.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

WinKey Killer?

Else...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

orange sky posted:

Can I ask why? I have been trying to train our end users for years to lock their drat computers.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

peak debt posted:

Does anyone know how to programmatically change a file type association in Windows 10?

Under Windows 7 it was a simple case of exporting/importing a reg file. But if you try the same thing in Windows 10, then after the next reboot you get a system tray popup "There was a problem with a file type association" and it gets reverted to the default setting.

- Only importing the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\filetype" key (not the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext" one) then using the command line application "assoc .ext=filetype" to set the default setting.
This seems to work at first. If you run the "assoc .ext" command the correct application is displayed. But if you doubleclick a file, the new application is only offered as a choice and there is no checkbox to remember your setting so it opens once with the new application, and then resets to the default again.
- Using the "Dism /Get-DefaultAppAssociations" and "Dism.exe /Import-DefaultAppAssociations" commands. Here, the problem is that you cannot import single app settings, you can only overwrite the entire set of default apps. So if you run this on a computer with nonstandard apps installed, you are basically guaranteed to gently caress up things by deleting file type associations.

The reason I have to do this is that we have ancient .tiff files that only open in some lovely image viewer from the 90s.

There is a Group Policy Preference item for doing just this..

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

peak debt posted:

Look for default associations.xml, you can't manually modify a bunch of stuff in the registry anymore, the registry is hashed and it will revert the next time it loads.

https://www.loginvsi.com/blog/login-vsi/518-fixing-default-file-type-associations-in-windows-10

This worked in server 2012/windows 8, and i believe still works in windows 10

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Moey posted:

Can I ask why? I have been trying to train our end users for years to lock their drat computers.

It's a library kiosk with an auto-logon for a user and Unified Write Filter enabled. It's setup so it restarts once a day but that's all, no log offs or restarts during the day.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

orange sky posted:

It's a library kiosk with an auto-logon for a user and Unified Write Filter enabled. It's setup so it restarts once a day but that's all, no log offs or restarts during the day.

Ah yes, figured it was a special use case.

How do you like UWF? We are currently using DeepFreeze for public library PCs.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Moey posted:

Ah yes, figured it was a special use case.

How do you like UWF? We are currently using DeepFreeze for public library PCs.

We enabled the feature before the image capture but weren't able to enable it during the Task Sequence through any means (running a cmd or powershell) so we deploy the OS, run a script manually to configure UWF and restart it so it starts working.

I recommend configuring it to use deferred write to disk, not memory, or your computer's memory will run out quite fast. Also, plan your exceptions. I haven't tested the servicing mode yet, so I don't know if it works well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

lol internet. posted:

I have MS SQL Server in a AOAG setup. I added SSRS report server database to the AOAG setup and configured a SSRS scale out deployment.

Everything is working as expected with the exception of accessing the SSRS URL through the SQL listener DNS name. (http://sql-listener/reportserver instead of using http://sql1/reportserver and http://sql2/reportserver)

I assume this probably isn't supported but any sort of workarounds or recommendation?

Cross posted to the SQL thread as well.

Did you make sure to delegate kerbros authentication to the cluster?

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
Heads up for anyone who manages images.

If you install the latest cumulative update for WIndows 10 1511 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185614) then any new user profile on that system will be unable to search for Windows settings items (check for updates, notifications, about my pc, etc.) in the start menu. They never get indexed.

Found this issue as part of a private hotfix we received over the summer and reported it in July so of course it's still in the public release two months later.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I'm trying to issue a certificate from a Windows DC/CA (Windows 2008 Standard, SP2) that's valid for both client and server use. So, I cloned one of the existing certificate templates (I think the webserver one) and changed the usage policy, then published it. Everyone is allowed to read/enroll for the template. "certutil -catemplates" shows the template and doesn't indicate any errors.

However, when we actually try to sign a request with the template (using Certsrv or command line), we get the error

"Denied by Policy Module 0x80094800, The request was for a certificate template that is not supported by the Active Directory Certificate Services policy: <template name>"

I can issue certificates with some of the builtin templates (User/Webserver/etc.), so the thing isn't completely hosed. It seems to just puke on any custom template. I think all the ones that work have Windows 2000 as the minimum supported CA and have a version like 3.1 or 4.1 in the Certificate Templates MMC snap-in. Any template I copy has 'Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition' as minimum supported CA and a version like 100.5 or something. This seems to correspond somehow to v2 or v3 certificates, and there was a bunch of stuff about how Standard Edition couldn't issue certificates based on these templates, but I've also read that Server 2008 fixed that limitation.

I'm pretty naive about this kind of stuff, so I'm not sure what else to include here. I've googled a lot, and tried all sorts of things, but can't get past this point. Does anyone know what might be the problem, or what other information I can provide to help troubleshoot it?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

v2 and v3 are only available in enterprise, not standard. You should be issuing at least 2003 level certs, not 2000. Spin up some VMs, create a fake domain, and step-by-step the cert process.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772393(v=ws.10).aspx

e: it may sound like i'm being a dick, i'm not. Took me a few tries to get PKI to work in a test environment properly, it's kinda convoluted/somewhat complicated throwing versions of WinServer into the mix.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

orange sky posted:

If you're using UWF, you must be using Win10 Enterprise LTSB?

LTSB 2016 has the keyboard filter that was missing in 2015 added back in - that's what we're using for a similar autologon kiosk project.

It's up on MSDN already, but not released via VLSC until October 1st, we've been told.