Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Keyser S0ze posted:

If you hold the phone normally with your hand and flip the phone towards you twice (top first not sideways) it usually brings up the favorite contacts (sometimes google play but usually contacts).

Do you have some crazy gesture-based control app installed? There are no stock features that do poo poo like this that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah there is no reason the phone should do that. I can't say I have ever dialed someone by accident with my 6P.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Nope I have no apps installed that would do that. Did you guys try it??

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't believe you guys spend a small nations GDP on a phone and then sit on it all day. Front pocket 4 lyfe

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is probably a very dumb question, but why is my OPO not logged into my Google account? I can access Gmail, Drive, and all the Google services - but when I go to change privacy settings it wants me to log in again. Problem is, I don't remember my Google password offhand and I don't want to have to login again with everything (since I'd have to change my password)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is probably a very dumb question, but why is my OPO not logged into my Google account? I can access Gmail, Drive, and all the Google services - but when I go to change privacy settings it wants me to log in again. Problem is, I don't remember my Google password offhand and I don't want to have to login again with everything (since I'd have to change my password)

Your OPO isn't the issue here. Sorry you forgot your password.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are you my mother? Why does my mother have a OPO?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use a call confirm app which asks if you are really sure you want to call this number. Maybe it would help you too?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Nope I have no apps installed that would do that. Did you guys try it??

The 6p doesn't have any gestures, simple as that.

It's something you've installed, or you're going crazy

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah there is no reason the phone should do that. I can't say I have ever dialed someone by accident with my 6P.

My 6p is always waking up in my pants as well. The screen wakes up and it touching my leg causes it to input a ton of stuff on the lockscreen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

havenwaters posted:

My 6p is always waking up in my pants as well. The screen wakes up and it touching my leg causes it to input a ton of stuff on the lockscreen.

Mine used to as well, but the culprit was Snapchat waking the screen for notifications by default. Check for that kind of thing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Well I just got an OTA update for my Nexus 6P that says it will "prepare" my phone for Nougat and includes the 09-06 security updates. Just the normal security update with some optimistic text attached? It was only 21mb

EDIT-Well after restart that led right into the full 7.0 update, 1174.7mb. We'll see if it ends up being the bait and switch update some other people have gotten. I've never been on the beta or anything like that.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 14, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine used to as well, but the culprit was Snapchat waking the screen for notifications by default. Check for that kind of thing.

Honestly my phone screen wakes up even if my hand hovers over it sometimes. It's either going to be pocket casts or something dumb like battery bar. I wouldn't have to use battery bar if I could figure out how to get a % number on the battery icon next to the clock.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

havenwaters posted:

Honestly my phone screen wakes up even if my hand hovers over it sometimes. It's either going to be pocket casts or something dumb like battery bar. I wouldn't have to use battery bar if I could figure out how to get a % number on the battery icon next to the clock.

Enable the built-in system UI tuner and you can display a battery percentage. You don't need an app.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

havenwaters posted:

Its built in now. SysUI tuner, as mentioned. Wish it was *just* percentage and easier to read instead of the bars, but its good enough.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ilkhan posted:

Its built in now. SysUI tuner, as mentioned. Wish it was *just* percentage and easier to read instead of the bars, but its good enough.

They could pretty easily fix the percentage number by giving it a white one pixel outline

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nimper posted:

Your OPO isn't the issue here. Sorry you forgot your password.

I realize the OPO isn't the issue, but someone always starts with: "What kind of phone do you have?"

I guess I just didn't realize I could be logged out of Google but still logged into the various Google services.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keyser S0ze posted:

Did you guys try it??

Yes. It doesn't do anything.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Well I just got an OTA update for my Nexus 6P that says it will "prepare" my phone for Nougat and includes the 09-06 security updates. Just the normal security update with some optimistic text attached? It was only 21mb

EDIT-Well after restart that led right into the full 7.0 update, 1174.7mb. We'll see if it ends up being the bait and switch update some other people have gotten. I've never been on the beta or anything like that.

I just got the 09-06 updates on my 6(not P).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I also got the Sep. security update late last night (I've been on N forever, so it wasn't even 50mb)

havenwaters posted:

This happens to me occasionally. The only time it's ever an "issue" is when the Play button gets pressed and BeyondPod/Google Play Music start making my pocket talk. It's annoying, for sure, but I've never input text or called anyone or anything like that.

Give me a 6P with Moto's IR sensors, lockscreen, and gestures and I could die happy.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sucks to live in Europe. Nice phones are released all the time but only a small amount is available here. A couple of years ago I was looking for a new phone and Motorola's keyboard phones were not available. New Samsung Galaxy active models never come to Europe and now LG said they won't sell V20 in here.. sigh. Guess I'll be stuck with my Note for a while still.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Sucks to live in Europe. Nice phones are released all the time but only a small amount is available here. A couple of years ago I was looking for a new phone and Motorola's keyboard phones were not available. New Samsung Galaxy active models never come to Europe and now LG said they won't sell V20 in here.. sigh. Guess I'll be stuck with my Note for a while still.

Keyboard and Active phones aren't nice, so thank your lucky stars

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shooting Blanks posted:

I guess I just didn't realize I could be logged out of Google but still logged into the various Google services.

You're still logged in; Google doesn't want people changing other people's privacy options even if they're logged in so they ask for your password again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just got the 6P September update too, hopefully the N OTA comes soon after this.

e: woooo there it is, downloading the N OTA now

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 14, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Got mine. I've bitched about this before but good lord, a 1gb phone OS update? If I wasn't on wifi that's like 1/6 my monthly allotment, and mine is higher than most in Canada.

It installed fine, but now my background is some pink/mauve thing and the notifications look all weird. Settings > Phone says 7.0 for version.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Got mine. I've bitched about this before but good lord, a 1gb phone OS update? If I wasn't on wifi that's like 1/6 my monthly allotment, and mine is higher than most in Canada.

It installed fine, but now my background is some pink/mauve thing and the notifications look all weird. Settings > Phone says 7.0 for version.

Looks like I got the update waiting in the wings now too.

Edit: nvm just the security update for now.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 14, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there any reason to hold off on updating my 5x to nougat? Some people were talking about it killing their battery life earlier, and after having my two previous phones (samsung) destroy themselves on loving software updates i'm a bit hesitant.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

Is there any reason to hold off on updating my 5x to nougat? Some people were talking about it killing their battery life earlier, and after having my two previous phones (samsung) destroy themselves on loving software updates i'm a bit hesitant.
I was on the N beta right out the gate on my 5X and I never experienced any noticeable loss in battery longevity, even after updating to official Nougat. You'll be fine :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Kinda weird complaint, honestly. iOS 10 is 1.1 GB, too, and of course you should download big files on wifi. How is it any different than big games or movies or Linux ISOs or anything else? Wifi for big stuff, obviously!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd bitch about it if I were an iOS user too. Just seems... excessive.

Is there anything out there free and cool looking that uses the Vulkan update? So far I've heard Need For Speed and not much else.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Old person posting here. I remember what voice recognition software was like back in the '80's (loving laughable) and the strides that it's taken to the point where I rarely ever have to type out my texts on my Nexus 6P are pretty significant. That being said, today I was sending a message to my girlfriend asking her over for dinner and (because I'm a meme-spewing goonlord fuckwit) I sent her a follow-up message too:

Note that I've never used these words before so they're definitely not in my custom dictionary. The ability of a voice analysis program to correctly parse the bullshit outpouring of nonsense words is an impressive use of technology, however I'm wondering from a technical standpoint how this would have been achieved. Would it have been done through analysis of the structure of the preceding words and subsequent application of similar structures to follow-up similar-sounding words, or would this have been drawn from previous uses of the same term by other gibbering morons who used the phrase?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As always, I think it's a combination. Like you though, I'm amazed at what Google and Apple are doing with voice recognition. Amazon's is considerably weaker. Then you look at stuff like Nuance with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, where you still have to train your voice profile...

Nothing short of amazing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google use the internet (search terms, crawled pages, etc.) as a source of words. I just tested it and you can happily use those words in a regular sentence with voice typing. They are just treated as words like any other word.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I'd bitch about it if I were an iOS user too. Just seems... excessive.

Is there anything out there free and cool looking that uses the Vulkan update? So far I've heard Need For Speed and not much else.

I don't really consider 1 GB for a major OS update to be excessive. Video games commonly get bigger patches than that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I love when I get a new PS4 game and there's immediately a 30-40GB patch to download.

Also when my PS4 has 50GB free but complains that it doesn't have enough space for a 24GB game.

o hi when did this turn into the Android thread?

Um, on topic, anyone know how to fix problems with two bluetooth devices fighting over the Call Audio? I have my Wear on all day and now when I get into my car it (the car) connects as "Connected (no phone)" although when I check all its options are ticked. If I untick and then tick Call Audio again on it calls will come through fine; it's like it sees there's already a device with that connected and just goes :shrug:. Anyone know a way to get it to prioritise? I've tried turning off Call Audio on the Wear but it just turns itself on again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Note 7 use is now banned on the New York and NJ transit systems.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The article I saw just said they were asking people to not use/charge them, unless something changed since earlier today.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Note 7 use is now banned on the New York and NJ transit systems.

How on earth is that remotely enforceable? Are people inspecting every transit user's phones when they enter the system? Even in a much smaller city like Vancouver where I live that would be impossible.

e: Oh it's not a ban, it's "urging" people to not use or charge them on the transit system https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/14/mta-urges-against-galaxy-note-7-use/ exactly the same as airlines are already doing

this whole shitshow is bad enough without you exaggerating.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 15, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Either all the nerd blogs stopped reporting on them blowing up, or everyone powered them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
BAN = politely ask you to not charge it according to the media.