Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure Marr's interrogation plan was: "beat him until the torturer gets tired and then trick him into gloating about whatever the grand plan is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Granted I kinda speed ran through SoR for the DvL event so I likely missed something, but how did Mort get a Bogstalker companion?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Be fair, both potential interrogators are Literally Space Magic, something as mundane as being crazy may not stand in their way. I also like the implicit burn in Marr saying Mort has a "unique perspective", it's funny to see Mort's position as Wrath being referenced as lumping him in with the crazies like Iven, and his reaction to Iven assuming he's a fellow servant looking to offer himself up to the Emperor was also good.

Of all the Imperial classes, the Wrath seems to be the one who'd be most likely to flip on everyone as soon as he realizes the Revanite conspiracy is trying to revive the Emperor and the Allied forces are trying to stop that from happening. We've only seen a little bit with Mort so far on how he feels about working against the Emperor but considering as recently as Rishi Sith Warrior characters were being given dialogue options to affirm their loyalty you're expected to switch sides pretty quickly.

I mean, Marr's basically as much a traitor right now as Malgus ever was, and almost as much as Baras. The rest of the Dark Council probably doesn't know what's going on, and while they're a bunch of backstabbers who might relish the chance to formally remove the Emperor and turn the Dark Council into the supreme Imperial authority he' still going about it behind their backs. The Emperor being crazy-dangerous and planning to destroy the galaxy isn't all that widely circulated, and there were plenty of Sith and Imperials who were totally down with enabling that. If you're already down for betraying the Emperor it even robs the Revanites of some of their villain-ness, since they also hate the Emperor and their conspiracy is about destroying him for good - the only real difference between your Allied force and the Revanites is the Allies don't think they'll actually succeed at destroying the Emperor and will just unleash him instead, which is kind of a small doctrinal difference for the level of Total War it's resulted in.

It's just odd on reflection to consider how quickly the general consensus on the Emperor flipped from "these traitors and usurpers must be stopped" to "we've got to keep him dead so he doesn't spoil the good thing we've got going".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

It's just odd on reflection to consider how quickly the general consensus on the Emperor flipped from "these traitors and usurpers must be stopped" to "we've got to keep him dead so he doesn't spoil the good thing we've got going".

You're confusing to a degree the Emperor and the Empire. No one on the Dark Council feels any loyalty to the Emperor and most of the Sith and Imperial leadership are quite happy the Emperor's been gone for a while. Baras may have claimed to be the Emperor's Voice, but like Malgus he more importantly threatened to destabilize the Empire itself when the Empire is already reeling from the Republic's advances. Marr and the other Imperials don't care so much about the Emperor as they do about preserving the Empire.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

M_Sinistrari posted:

Granted I kinda speed ran through SoR for the DvL event so I likely missed something, but how did Mort get a Bogstalker companion?

There are various companions available from the buyable supply packs, the Bogstalker is one of them. Not really an in-game story thing, just something you can get if you spend real money on the game and/or in-game money in the auction house and have nice RNG luck.

Cythereal posted:

You're confusing to a degree the Emperor and the Empire. No one on the Dark Council feels any loyalty to the Emperor and most of the Sith and Imperial leadership are quite happy the Emperor's been gone for a while. Baras may have claimed to be the Emperor's Voice, but like Malgus he more importantly threatened to destabilize the Empire itself when the Empire is already reeling from the Republic's advances. Marr and the other Imperials don't care so much about the Emperor as they do about preserving the Empire.

Honestly everybody in the upper echelons of the Empire had very little loyalty to the Emperor to begin with, being Sith (i.e. deliberately treacherous jerks) or normal people with similar personalities as a rule. Main way the Emperor maintained power was the threat he'd destroy anybody the least bit out of line. Now that he's going to kill off even those who serve him, what motivation do they have to support him?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The council in particular have been getting out from under the emperor's thumb for a while now. He's been gone so long, and they've been thinning the morons out their ranks so well, that they wonder why they should even be afraid of him anymore.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

wiegieman posted:

The council in particular have been getting out from under the emperor's thumb for a while now. He's been gone so long, and they've been thinning the morons out their ranks so well, that they wonder why they should even be afraid of him anymore.

To paraphrase a movie line, I figured the Dark Council on down considered the Emperor an absentee landlord for quite a while. It wasn't like he was particularly active since the Treaty of Coruscant and until Revan's comment, I was willing to think the Council was behind signing the treaty.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 27: Yes, Mort Knows How to Force Lightning. Shut up.

Click for Video

The word? How about “unsettling”?
Really? Not “predictable”?

Oh, I should like to see that! Just imagine!
Deefour. Button it.
The device appears to be Sith in origin. That’s how the Emperor knew about it; why he chose to retreat to Yavin Four.
No poo poo.

Yes. And now Revan plans to use it for the same purpose. If we can’t stop him, we’re all dead.

Then let’s get moving.
Iven clued us in on a series of complex locks that will get us access to the temple. They’re our next objective.
You’ll be wading into Massassi territory. Be fearless.

Find pyramid, zap with lightning.
So easy, an apprentice could do it.
Why don’t you ever use Force Lightning in battle?
Because I enjoy being challenged.

Not that it’s happened yet, mind.

But a Sith can dream.

Oh! Nice ambush!

It wasn’t enough, but A for effort. Good job. You tried.

Your arrival has been foreseen….
You must press on….

Huh.

I guess working with the Massassi really lowered the expectations of the ancient Sith.

Completely unshielded arcs of electrical plasma. That doesn’t look dangerous at--

Ow.

Ok, I think it’s work--

drat it!
Ancient piece of garbage, just open!

You’re close. I can feel it.
Hurry.

Zap a whole bunch of things to unlock the things to zap to unlock the thing to zap to unlock the thing that unlocks the temple.
I swear to the Emperor, Peety. I’m getting tired of being the only one--

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

He's the first one to leave when he doesn't get his way. He just went off to sulk for having his authority undermined, but it's ok, the tears just make him stronger.

Yes, exactly. Most other Sith would either attempt to kill you for your defiance immediately or stalk off to plot it later. Probably by trying waves of increasingly strong assassins.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Giving Sith Warriors something like a Lightning Right Hook would have been neat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Giving Sith Warriors something like a Lightning Right Hook would have been neat.

Sadly no. Even Jedi and non-Force classes use lightning there.

One of a growing number of times when the story is painfully obviously written with a Force class in mind. :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They chose to make Force Scream into Force Kamehameha at high levels. They absolutely could've made it a close-range lightning bolt instead, but Bioware seems terrified of making the warrior less like Darth Vader, and Vader never used lightning.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They chose to make Force Scream into Force Kamehameha at high levels. They absolutely could've made it a close-range lightning bolt instead, but Bioware seems terrified of making the warrior less like Darth Vader, and Vader never used lightning.

Because he didn't have loving hands.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Well I mean originally, Darth was just part of his new name and not a title and Lightning was just something the Emperor did because he was so evil and not a specific Sith thing, yeah?

But everything's gotta have a back story and what not.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah the whole can't use Force Lightning because he has robot limbs is at least a reasonable explanation for why he never learnt it in the 20 or so years he worked as the Emperor's Enforcer/Apprentice. But also just not caring to learn would be a perfectly fine explanation too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah the whole can't use Force Lightning because he has robot limbs is at least a reasonable explanation for why he never learnt it in the 20 or so years he worked as the Emperor's Enforcer/Apprentice. But also just not caring to learn would be a perfectly fine explanation too.

I took it in the original movies that Force Lightning was supposed to be an extraordinarily rare and powerful ability, that it was a mark of how powerful and how consumed by the dark side the Emperor was that he could do that versus Vader's telekinetic tricks. But it was so iconic a scene that it was made a standard part of most Sith power sets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's also that the Inquisitor is a scholar as much as a fighter, and gravitates to exotic magic tricks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was going to ask about the non-force classes.

So... huh.

Omnitaser?

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Glazius posted:

I was going to ask about the non-force classes.

So... huh.

Omnitaser?

Funnily enough in previous thing you had to shock I seem to recall you pulling something out that then emited the shock on non-force using classes. With this one in particular though everyone just kinds points their hand out and I guess static shocks it with the obscene amount of electricity in the air? It was just poorly designed considering all they DID need to do is put some kind of scanner, pda, or unique taser thing in your hand and it'd have probably be fine. And maybe give the jedi a different color of lightning since its been shown*in far later books that are no longer canon but were when this came out* that jedi can force lightning its just orange or green instead of blue/purple.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I've barely been paying attention to this, but...

Why isn't Yavin IV on fire and having Exar Kun Muwahaha at your player characters?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

I've barely been paying attention to this, but...

Why isn't Yavin IV on fire and having Exar Kun Muwahaha at your player characters?

'cause he's been dead for something like a thousand years.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's never been a problem in Star Wars.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

i don't think its been that long since kotor 1, and jolee bindo was alive during the war with ~Exar-kun~

[Inser joke about Jolee being real drat old here]

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Wasn't Revan meant to have been the Emperor's prisoner for a couple hundred years? It's been a while since kotor.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Chaeden posted:

Funnily enough in previous thing you had to shock I seem to recall you pulling something out that then emited the shock on non-force using classes. With this one in particular though everyone just kinds points their hand out and I guess static shocks it with the obscene amount of electricity in the air?

Your guy found a piece of carpet to rub their feet on beforehand.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well you see Exar Kun's spirit is trapped on Yavin IV as is CLEARLY shown in Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy and then shown again in Michael A Stackpole's I, Jedi, in which Corran Horn blows him up with a proton torpedo.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It's been 300 years since kotor2 iirc.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SKY COQ posted:

Well you see Exar Kun's spirit is trapped on Yavin IV as is CLEARLY shown in Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy and then shown again in Michael A Stackpole's I, Jedi, in which Corran Horn blows him up with a proton torpedo.

Actually I wasn't referring to that explicitly. I was referring to the Tales of the Jedi comic series where Exar Kun enacted a ritual that would ensure he had eternal life. Except instead of actually staying alive he ate the life force of the Massassi (at the time, all of them... oh retcons) but due to interference from every Jedi in the galaxy, he became a force ghost while the temple was engulfed in flames

So, by rights, right now he should be a force ghost going "Mwahahahaha" while the PC is running around the old temple.

This was also the comic series that had a Triceratops Jedi Master, so take it as you will.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Calax posted:

So, by rights, right now he should be a force ghost going "Mwahahahaha" while the PC is running around the old temple.
He is. There's an achievement.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

This was also the comic series that had a Triceratops Jedi Master, so take it as you will.

Still better than one of the newer ones, which had a loving Space Elf Jedi and a final fantasy airship.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Calax posted:

Actually I wasn't referring to that explicitly. I was referring to the Tales of the Jedi comic series where Exar Kun enacted a ritual that would ensure he had eternal life. Except instead of actually staying alive he ate the life force of the Massassi (at the time, all of them... oh retcons) but due to interference from every Jedi in the galaxy, he became a force ghost while the temple was engulfed in flames

KOTFE recruitment mission spoiler - He is here, the device in question seems to be intended for HIM to come back, the Emperor is just hijacking it. Once it gets blown up, he's stuck until KJA happens. Find out some of the details when you recruit the Dashade/Khem Val substitute since he got placed on Yavin IV for reasons related to Exar Kun. Guess at the moment he's still asleep or smart enough not to get involved in this mess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No spoilers please. I am intending to show that off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 28: Press face firmly and directly into palm.

Click for Video

Nope.

Nope.

Who were you again?

:ughh:

His obsession, his arrogance, this angry crusade--it’s all blinded him to the truth. The many lives he’ll sacrifice to revive the Emperor will be nothing compared to what will follow.

Are you… sleeping?
Maybe.
Revan bad. I get it.

It’s within your power to stop the abomination. But you won’t be able to do it alone.
May the Force be with you….

It’s even dumber than I’d feared.
We both suspected that may be the case. It doesn’t matter who’s inside that temple. What’s important is that we end his plan.
Revan wants me to succeed, but claims I can’t do it on my own.
All told, the Revanites may be the fiercest adversaries we’ve ever faced, and this temporary alliance with the Republic is unstable at best.

Odd jobs the two greatest Space Empires in the galaxy can’t be bothered with, or an operation.

I don’t like this at all. We’re in striking distance of the Republic and what are we doing about it? Nothing. We’re at war!
My recon team came across some Reps covering the same ground. Thought we’d get the drop on them.
Are they dead? Tell me they’re dead.
They’re dead all right, but we didn’t kill them. Massassi warriors jumped them. Us, too. I’m all that’s left.
So… okay. Good to know.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
You did get me to do a, 'wait what?!' for a sec there.

Traxus IV posted:

Nope, my Revan was a woman :colbert: Everything in this game where Revan shows up I've been reading him as some doofy imposter sullying her name and reputation. I'm looking forward to him getting smashed up real bad.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same here too. It's either some deluded imposter or some elaborate Jedi hoax trying to cash in on the name for whatever reason.
I have a wonderful set piece in my mind where this is a start of a over the top, completely indulgent fan service, cheese-fest scenario where Bioware does a complete 180, and has a bunch of alternative Revan PCs from 'alternative universes' come in, that team up, as this 'help' you need in order to tear down the 'Canon' Revan. Because even Biowear realises this current incarnation is kinda lame.

But I'm feeling this is actually an attempt at a 'have your cake and eat it' scenario that doesn't go to 11 out of 10 on the ridiculous scale so just kinda comes across as weak. Probably because Poptarts is treating this as it is as dumb as it looks.

On the bright side either one of those choices seems like an opportunity to bring any of the old gang back for a bit if they are still around. Build camaraderie between the two sides seems like a great opportunity in the single player focused post game to do a thing.

I feel this has already been answered in the thread but that operation; can you still not pair up with cross faction teams?

Paused fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 26, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

I have a wonderful set piece in my mind where this is a start of a over the top, completely indulgent fan service, cheese-fest scenario where Bioware does a complete 180, and has a bunch of alternative Revan PCs from 'alternative universes' come in, that team up, as this 'help' you need in order to tear down the 'Canon' Revan. Because even Biowear realises this current incarnation is kinda lame.

But I'm feeling this is actually an attempt at a 'have your cake and eat it' scenario that doesn't go to 11 out of 10 on the ridiculous scale so just kinda comes across as weak. Probably because Poptarts is treating this as it is as dumb as it looks.

On the bright side either one of those choices seems like an opportunity to bring any of the old gang back for a bit if they are still around.

The plots and villains are only going to get dumber from here, if less fanservice-oriented. I recently resubbed to the game because the core game is still fun and the 1-55 story is still solid, but Shadows of Revan is where the game's writing starts to decline markedly (though my opinion is not universal).

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I was going to say, from what I recall of the thread... over all opinion of the story at this seemed positive? Though Maybe the focus of that was on Pirate land. Which did seem better as they we're putting off having to talk about Revan in the Shadows of Revan.

And in general I don't want fanservice stuff, I'd prefer new ideas. But this is the Shadow of Revan..? I guess after people in the thread made me realise, my, as someone who is completely ignorant to roleplaying, Revan being generic Light side Male isn't universal. And seriously making a, (or two?) character(s) to represent your fanbase is a horrible idea.

So my mind went don't make it serious. You've just gone from space pirate land... you're already pretty camp. Just go all in. Wookiepedia can fix the details.

I dunno. I feel I'm just starting to see the difference between making a product that will sell to fanboys and making a product that is good or even just a good fanservice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the hologram-as-method-of-self-reflection. That one's pretty cool. The choices aren't being offered to you by anyone but you, as befits the end game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm still doing a bit of filming for the next part. Thread's not forgotten, I promise!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

On that note, I've taken to the slightly-less-efficient-than-I-expected strategy of doing whole planets in one go, so I'll have the whole of Todessa's adventure on Hoth up this weekend.

The Act 2 finale is right after which isn't hard to do as a one-shot but I might try to switch back to a more traditional update schedule afterward because it actually kind of sucks trying to make a giant update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Well we're 4 years and a month in at this point. I think you can have a few weeks off every now and then!

Looking forward to both updates from the 2 of you!

• Locked thread