Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Thanks for the advice about the Otuken start. I will go back at some point and try it again.

...Has anyone tried that random CK2 generator thing that was mentioned a while back? Does it work, and is it at all interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you hit the create new courtier decision a bunch of times really fast you get a bunch of people with the same name. Same problem? It seems like the name generator is a bit... laggy?

Random number generators have to be seeded - same seeds get the same results. If this particular one uses game time as seed, clicking it very quickly would give you the same courtier.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Coward posted:

Thanks for the advice about the Otuken start. I will go back at some point and try it again.

...Has anyone tried that random CK2 generator thing that was mentioned a while back? Does it work, and is it at all interesting?

It's a little too random for my tastes from the quick look I gave it. Nations, religions, ruler names, provinces, and government types are all collections of word salad, with no real-life referents to use except geographical shapes. There's potential, and I might like it more when I've used it more, but it doesn't seem to be quite there yet.

On an unrelated note, it's a little odd how you sometimes wind up wishing for your character to die. I spent the last ten years as the Grand Chief of Ireland revoking all the titles except those belonging to my heir so in the end only he, the Duke of Powys who had become my vassal through random inheritance shenanigans, and a random bishop had positive opinions of me, and only because they were my friends. Once I got a notification that someone intended to murder me, I kinda leaned back in my chair, beckoned, and said "Bring it."

I was never so happy to see an exploding inn full of manure, because then my heir held all the land and day 1 he formed the Most Serene Republic of Eire. ...And had the option to imprison his wife because she had assassinated the old king.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gantolandon posted:

Random number generators have to be seeded - same seeds get the same results. If this particular one uses game time as seed, clicking it very quickly would give you the same courtier.

a) You seed a RNG once, you don't do it every tick. b) This is while the game is paused. c) They're completely different courtiers, with the same name.

What I think is going on is that the random numbers are cached in some way*, because RNGs are very, very slow, but I'm not sure what the specifics are. If I wanted to get a bunch of unique random numbers for a bunch of different entities while only calling rand() once, I guess I'd assign each entity (character, province etc) a random offset when it was created, cache a rand() call each tick, then do (#randomOffset + #thisTick'sRand()) % whatever. Which would break here because the name generator only has the one #randomOffset? But I don't know if that's the way Paradox are handling it.

The weird thing is, if you wait a second or two between presses the names do change- while paused. So the random number is refreshed... on a real-time delay?

* Paradox have definitely done this before. Back in EU3, there was this thing where if a whole bunch of countries got the same event on the same tick they'd all pick the same option, because they were using the same random number.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 14, 2016

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Is it possible to attach a tribal vassal or ally's army to yours? I can see there's a button that looks like a length of chain on the army view screen that would do it but it seems perpetually greyed out.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
If you grant a Holy Order a Title, will they become your vassal or do you need something else to vassalise them?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

SkySteak posted:

If you grant a Holy Order a Title, will they become your vassal or do you need something else to vassalise them?

They'll just take the title. With holy orders you usually just have to have a larger levy than their call-in troops and be the same culture and they should accept a vassalization request.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

They'll just take the title. With holy orders you usually just have to have a larger levy than their call-in troops and be the same culture and they should accept a vassalization request.

I donated to them and gifted them and the vassalization just works. Thanks!

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Roland Jones posted:

The best Zoroastrian starts are probably Karen in 867, and either Tabriz under the Abbasids or one of the counts under the Bajanids in 769, probably Bukhara since it has two castles and thus among the most troops. Former, you have a ton of event troops and, if you can get your momentum going, can take on the various eastern Muslim groups one by one and get huge. Latter, either way you'll fabricate claims on your fellow vassals and eat them up while protected from larger outsiders; Tabriz will probably stay under the Abbasids for a while, while a Bajanid vassal can quickly devour their liege and take over, then move south to attack the Taids and Zunbils after forming Khiva/Sogdiana. The former is probably safer, but the latter is a lot faster and doesn't carry the risk of your liege eventually getting religious revocation and taking your stuff.

The issue with any of these starts, of course, is the Abbasids. They are huge, and barring a spectacular collapse they will be your biggest threat (except maybe to Tabriz since you'll be under them for a while and hopefully won't get the Legalism for Religious Revocation for a long time) that you will have to deal with eventually. As Karen or one of the Bajanid vassals, my recommendation, when holy warring non-Abbasids, is to try to declare your wars when the Abbasids are already at war with someone else so they don't come to the defense of your victims. For fighting them themselves... Well, if they suffer a major revolt, then things are great. Otherwise... It's tough.

Alternatively be one of the Mazdan hordes I guess. Haven't tried that yet myself.

The Uyghurs are the easiest Zoroastrian start, although since they are Manicheans you will want to immediately renounce your heresy because Manicheans are super boring because they have no religious mechanics other than becoming Shaoshayant. You start in the corner of the map so you are totally defensible and are surrounded by weak nomads and feudal counts that are easy to gobble up. Just head west for a while to conquer the steppes before turning south to conquer all the necessary Persian territories. By that time you will be big enough that not even the Abassids will be a threat

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

GreenMarine posted:

If I commit suicide during a war to oust me, does the war end with a restoration of the original borders?

Holy poo poo! The answer is yes. That just saved my rear end. Seppuku for the win. ON top of that I got the Empressive trait for my third Byzantine empress in a row.

The factions are a total mess, though. I don't know how I got into this situation. My previous ruler had 16k prestige and was still hated by everyone. The main faction has 36k troops!

Ah, the problem is that the Exarchs have been too efficient at consolidating their power beneath my nose. I wish the game made it more clear this was happening and gave clearer tools for dealing with it. As it stands, I'm going to have to assassinate the Exarch of Greece and then rip up his vassalage once the title reverts back to me.

Yay! It worked. The factions dropped from 200% to 30%. I guess periodic purges are needed in an Imperial administration.

FYI you could have also done this:

Edison was a dick posted:

So… is it working as intended that the player, when Byzantine Emperor, can basically excommunicate, imprison and ransom until they either have no gold or rebel, and then revoke titles from them without having to fabricate a claim or take tyranny?

You can also do the same with a vassal pope, but it's easier to ask for a claim there.

I tend to use this a lot when I play Orthodox and Piety is readily available, so it's probably somewhat gamey since the AI doesn't do it.

The best council is an easily imprisoned council.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beefeater1980 posted:

How?? I just did a start as that Zoroastrian kingdom in Charlemagne. My first ruler died of old age in year 2, his son copped it two years later from food poisoning, and three years later grandson dropped dead of flu.

I worded that very badly. Founding the empire took over a century of almost constant war and that was starting as the Saffarids who are already a kingdom and Sunni and then converting. Which is basically Zoroastrian easy mode.

I had a courtier permanently parked on the Caliph and didn't fight him directly until I was almost as big and he was distracted by other wars. Karen somehow managed to take over all of the Muslim counties in the north on the edge of the steppes and became a kingdom. To avoid the trouble of having to take them over by marriage and murder I pressed a Muslims claim on the kingdom and then immediately started declaring holy wars on him as often as I could as well as any minor Muslim states to the west. Since I made sure that all my personal holdings were on the Silk Road I had a very steady supply of money and could almost always afford mercs to turn the tide or speed up sieges if the Abbasids actually got involved.

I eventually managed to grab enough land to form the empire and immediately restored the high priesthood. His first act in office was to declare a great holy war for Egypt Then as soon as that wae was over I installed a Zoroastrian claimant on
the Arabian throne making the Caliphate effectively harmless. He died after less then a year but his son inherited and is married to one of my daughters.

I'm considering taking over as much of India as I can and forming Rajastan so I have a spare empire to run away to once the Mongols come.

My main problem is that my dynasty only has about 16 living people, most of them kids. It used to be pretty big but a epidemic wiped out a few branches of the family tree a few decades ago.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 14, 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Can you fabricate claims on baronies? I tried the "Help with titles" button and now would like to get the baronies in my capital back.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

prussian advisor posted:

Is it possible to attach a tribal vassal or ally's army to yours? I can see there's a button that looks like a length of chain on the army view screen that would do it but it seems perpetually greyed out.

No, I forget the exact rules but you can only attach to an army of your rank or higher, so they can choose to attach to you, but not the other way around.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bukhara there began down by the Caspian Sea, as a feudal state settling off the Khazars. At some point, they came to the attention of Saxony, who had been taking chunks here and there, including Mercia. So now there's a Germanic Saxon tribal empire just sitting and menacing literally everyone. It's rather unstable, though, and keeps having independence revolts. Meanwhile, Iceland has made inroads in mainland Scandinavia, which is honestly more surprising to me than the big chartreuse blob.

In Islamic news, Hispania went to the Qutalinid dynasty (The Umayyads control Asturias), and the Arabian Empire actually broke up in two decadence revolts, leaving the Abbasids as scattered sheiks and emirs. The Shia Caliphate controls the Kingdom of Jerusalem, as well.

e: The jarl of Iceland is 500 gold pieces in the hole. I have no idea how you even manage that level of debt.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 14, 2016

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Hey Darkrenown, there is a succession type which worked in China during some of CK2's period, it's kind of a mix between hereditary inheritance and viceroyalties. The way it would work is, if someone is a duke as vassal to a king, when they die, the dukedom would revert to the king but their son would inherit a county within the duchy, maintaining a claim on the dukedom. For a count who dies, the county would revert to the king but the count would gain a barony within the county, again maintaining the claim. So the idea is that with each generation of nobility, the noble family drops down one level in rank. It would be interesting, you'd probably have a bunch of claim wars if the highest tier noble refuses to give back the titles. This would have to be under an imperial system, with a ton of centralization... if you're ever looking to throw in a new succession type!

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Not sure what to do about your illness issues. Hire a better physician next time I guess.

Some physicians are secret quacks who gently caress up a lot.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012

genericnick posted:

Can you fabricate claims on baronies? I tried the "Help with titles" button and now would like to get the baronies in my capital back.

just keep stabbing, eventualy they'll run out of heirs, at which point the barony will go to the holder of the county.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Hey Darkrenown, there is a succession type which worked in China during some of CK2's period, it's kind of a mix between hereditary inheritance and viceroyalties. The way it would work is, if someone is a duke as vassal to a king, when they die, the dukedom would revert to the king but their son would inherit a county within the duchy, maintaining a claim on the dukedom. For a count who dies, the county would revert to the king but the count would gain a barony within the county, again maintaining the claim. So the idea is that with each generation of nobility, the noble family drops down one level in rank. It would be interesting, you'd probably have a bunch of claim wars if the highest tier noble refuses to give back the titles. This would have to be under an imperial system, with a ton of centralization... if you're ever looking to throw in a new succession type!

That's pretty interesting, is there a name for the system?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm doing the lazy thing where I ask a question that's probably been asked before but it's not in the OP and jesus have you seen how long this thread is so:

What are people who have 4k screens doing about the UI not scaling? Is the best bet just to roll down the resolution and deal with it?

I notice that HOI4 has an experimental UI scaling thing going on, it would be nice to see that feature make its way across even if work on CK2 is winding down.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

druthers posted:

just keep stabbing, eventualy they'll run out of heirs

Man I really need to start a ck2.txt to read when I'm feeling sad.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

Man I really need to start a ck2.txt to read when I'm feeling sad.

Apart from this thread, there's https://www.reddit.com/r/shitcrusaderkingssay in the meantime.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

druthers posted:

just keep stabbing, eventualy they'll run out of heirs, at which point the barony will go to the holder of the county.

People keep saying this kind of thing like it is easy

Maybe Im bad at this but 90% of my assassination plots never even reach 100%

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

druthers posted:

Yeah, two are personally held by my biggest vassal kings who are also of my dynasty. Seems less than optimal. On the other hand you can't level up kinslayer can you?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Autonomous Monster posted:

The weird thing is, if you wait a second or two between presses the names do change- while paused. So the random number is refreshed... on a real-time delay?

* Paradox have definitely done this before. Back in EU3, there was this thing where if a whole bunch of countries got the same event on the same tick they'd all pick the same option, because they were using the same random number.
Seeding an RNG from the system clock makes perfect sense, reseeding it from the system clock every time you call it is indeed a weird and bad thing to do because it would cause exactly this behavior. I'd be surprised if it wasn't something like that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Sin of Onan posted:

poo poo that is, and isn't, in WtWSMS

That was a very interesting read, but one that makes me glad I have no intention of releasing the little mod I've hacked together, because I've been fudging a lot. You wouldn't happen to know a good source on what the Middle East looked like in the Middle Ages, would you? I added Assyrian, Coptic and Aramean along religious lines, but like I said, I've been fudging a lot and wouldn't mind fixing it if it's egregiously wrong.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
give me some cool historical characters in the history titles, I've found St. Peter and I've found Julius Caesar

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

druthers posted:

since plots are usually discovered and you're gonna get a -10 malus for murder anyway, might as well just revoke the drat thing.

I can't fathom why the Help With Titles thing was ever put in the game, its sole purpose is loving over new players who don't know better, and they have it tough enough with the game's learning curve as it is.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It teaches new players that your vassals are not to be trusted and dont have your best interests in mind.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Top Hats Monthly posted:

give me some cool historical characters in the history titles, I've found St. Peter and I've found Julius Caesar

If you go back far enough, you can find Mohammad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

If you go back far enough, you can find Mohammad

I'm pretty sure this is not true for obvious reasons

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure this is not true for obvious reasons

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Elias_Maluco posted:

People keep saying this kind of thing like it is easy

Maybe Im bad at this but 90% of my assassination plots never even reach 100%

While a lot of time people are over emphasizing the importance of stabbing, (I'm guilty of this sometimes), there are other things you can do that help with the stabbing.

The people listed under the plus button in the intrigue tab aren't necessarily ALL of the people you can potentially recruit. Those are just the people in their court or in the case of a baron, their liege's court I think. It gets kinda weird when your target doesn't have anyone in their court so your results may vary.

You should also be able to recruit any direct vassals of your target's liege and these people may not show up in that list in the intrigue tab.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Huh. Guess I'm wrong then! :eng99:

e: Interesting how a well trained human character can have better stats across the board (except Learning) than Muhammad, who was only probably the single most world-altering human ever.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 14, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: Interesting how a well trained human character can have better stats across the board (except Learning) than Muhammad, who was only probably the single most world-altering human ever.

I dunno, most well-trained human characters (at least if the player is trying) will be similarly world-altering so it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

(but I'm pretty sure the stat scales are not meant to be realistic. :P, especially not now with three years worth of DLC and new events and traits giving stat bonuses)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it would be neat if you could trace the Yngling line back to Odin. Who would of course be a Turk.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 15, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eric the Mauve posted:

Martial is way too high. There's a great story of the early days of the Muslim community in Medina, when they were prepping for a battle against Mecca. Muhammad's general asks him if the way their army is deployed was dictated by God or was just Muhammad's idea. "...My idea." At which point they entirely reconfigure their positions and Muhammad basically retires as a guy who makes real military decisions. Of course then a host of angels show up so I guess it wouldn't have mattered too much in the end.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Didn't the reaper's due patch add a merovingian character? Something frankish, i couldn't find it when I went looking though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The patch has the last Merovingian alive during the Charlemagne bookmark.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Odobenidae posted:

Didn't the reaper's due patch add a merovingian character? Something frankish, i couldn't find it when I went looking though.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to make this man king of all the world. Good luck

Darkrenown: your mission, whether you choose to accept it or not, is to get the Merovingians a coat of arms that isn't a boring old leaf on a field of grey. As the Capets got the fleurs-de-lis, it'll have to be the three toads.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 15, 2016

• Locked thread