Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

:ughh:

PC gaming isn't going to die because of tablet gaming overtaking it. That's nonsense. Tablet gaming is massively worse than PC gaming. But the vast majority of PCs are not used for gaming anymore.

PC gaming is going to die because PCs are going to die because for 90% of consumers, tablets can do anything a PC can do, and PC gaming is going to be a casualty of that.

Maybe some of the more casual PC games are going to suffer but a machine capable of playing something like Witcher 3 was never your standard family computer. People buying PCs like that have always been enthusiasts and there is very little reason except baseless speculation to assume that those will die out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

Maybe some of the more casual PC games are going to suffer but a machine capable of playing something like Witcher 3 was never your standard family computer. People buying PCs like that have always been enthusiasts and there is very little reason except baseless speculation to assume that those will die out.

It's the same logic that people had in the mid 00's that mobile phone games were going to kill console gaming because it was an expanding market and everyone had phones. "X gaming is going to die and it's totally going to happen this time you guys" comes up every few years . It's just white noise. Gaming's equivalent of doomsayers yelling the world is going to end because of a prophecy or prediction made by someone hundreds of years ago.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I know I can't stand typing or playing games on my phone. I can't recall what the term is but I need to have physical feedback. Plus my big fat greasy finger isn't as precise as the phone wants it to be, and I think holding the phone itself while playing on it is awkward. I know I'm in the minority on that and I'm an old man living off scraps in the decaying ruins of a dying technology but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MrSlam posted:

I know I can't stand typing or playing games on my phone. I can't recall what the term is but I need to have physical feedback. Plus my big fat greasy finger isn't as precise as the phone wants it to be, and I think holding the phone itself while playing on it is awkward. I know I'm in the minority on that and I'm an old man living off scraps in the decaying ruins of a dying technology but I'm sure I'm not alone.

I generally feel the same way, though I usually use my pinky to type on my phone.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Noah Caldwell-Gervais' critique of No Man's Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA21NUasw5A

Folding Ideas' No Man's Sky review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ymRN6cCd0I

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

Jimbot posted:

It's the same logic that people had in the mid 00's that mobile phone games were going to kill console gaming because it was an expanding market and everyone had phones. "X gaming is going to die and it's totally going to happen this time you guys" comes up every few years . It's just white noise. Gaming's equivalent of doomsayers yelling the world is going to end because of a prophecy or prediction made by someone hundreds of years ago.

i also don't read posts

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

:ughh:

PC gaming isn't going to die because of tablet gaming overtaking it. That's nonsense. Tablet gaming is massively worse than PC gaming. But the vast majority of PCs are not used for gaming anymore.

PC gaming is going to die because PCs are going to die because for 90% of consumers, tablets can do anything a PC can do, and PC gaming is going to be a casualty of that.
I would mostly agree with this, but the same argument applies for why consoling gaming and indeed tvs period are going to die.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

I would mostly agree with this, but the same argument applies for why consoling gaming and indeed tvs period are going to die.

The major risk in these predictive discussions is assuming that things as they are reflects things as they will remain, that something won't happen to sway peoples' preferences. Generally that means 'disruptive' new technologies, but it can also just mean fads. For all we know people in 2017 are going to decide en masse that VR headsets are totally not too expensive or bulky or constraining and they'll be flying off the shelves, and all of a sudden everyone is back plunked in front of their TV or at their computer desk.

I mean, that specific example isn't likely to happen because the economy will still be poo poo next year, but it's just an example anyway.

Ryuga Death posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais' critique of No Man's Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA21NUasw5A

These are both very good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Man there's only one piece of Marvel music I remember at all outside the Captain America horn theme bit, and it's Bucky's theme from The Winter Soldier. I bet it sounds exactly like some other loving piece of temp music but I really like it. It sounds like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJGh51wR7k

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jimbot posted:

Much like how Any Day Now the Superhero/Blockbuster bubble is going to burst imo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PC gaming will never die, in the same sense that model trains will never die

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

Much like how Any Day Now the Superhero/Blockbuster bubble is going to burst imo

You have been waiting for your messiah to return for over 2000 years – while I have been waiting for only 8.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Guyz. I do programmings for a living. With computers. Same tools that game programmers do.

PCs, keyboards and mice will literally never, ever go away.

Ever.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

TVs are safe for now because there's still the social function of a single shared screen that doesn't need to be held or rested on anything. Console gaming is safe because they're what you buy when you purposefully want a video gaming device. For the general public at large, anything a PC can do, a tablet can do. With more portability than even a laptop.

It really, really gets my hackles up when people assume that gamers on the internet are a representative sample of people who play video games, because I would guess that south of 1% of people who play video games will ever discuss them online. For the numerical majority of people who play games, video gaming consists solely of what's on the shelf at GameStop and what's popular in the App Store. We are the people who are loving serious enough about video games to go onto an internet bulletin board in 2016 to tell people how powerfully we feel about the speculative future of video games.

lornekates posted:

Guyz. I do programmings for a living. With computers. Same tools that game programmers do.

PCs, keyboards and mice will literally never, ever go away.

Ever.

"I do my computer-related work on a computer, ergo, consumers will continue to purchase PCs for home use even though tablets have made them redundant."

EDIT EDIT: I'm sorry, this is stupid, this is a terrible derail. I will stop now. You all can have the last word, I've said my piece.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 14, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

TVs are safe for now because there's still the social function of a single shared screen that doesn't need to be held or rested on anything. Console gaming is safe because they're what you buy when you purposefully want a video gaming device. For the general public at large, anything a PC can do, a tablet can do. With more portability than even a laptop.
I think the problem is that the same could be argued for laptops. They're around for when you need actual typing and file storage. So even if I don't need a PC to surf the web anymore I do still need a basic laptop to do my taxes, remote in to work, and so my kids can type up their homework assignments. That same laptop or a tablet can also be used for all of the functions a TV serves 90% of the time, 1-2 people watching TV. The social function of watching TV as a group is great and all, but most of the time schedules and conflicting tastes prevent this from being a regular occurrence due to tablets/phones offering the same sort of time killing entertainment that TV used to serve for most people. So a TV for group movie viewing will increasingly become a luxury good for the upper middle class as the social momentum of a dedicated box what you watch movies/shows on slows down. Console gaming will die faster because it's dependent on this obsolete device and are generally just bad gaming PCs now. So if I really want to play video games they're probably going to be cheapo ones for the laptop/tablet/other mobile device. The only thing that an really preserve console gaming is tablets not being good enough to run the next FIFA and Call of Duty. As soon as tablets can run them with reasonable fidelity consoles are dead.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy gently caress you people are insane.

TVs are not going to die, people love having a big rear end screen to look at and they're cheap as hell now. No one wants to watch movies on a loving laptop/tablet screen.

Like, what the gently caress?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tablets are quite a long ways away from replacing anything for gaming. Even if the hardware gets there, the controls won't. If you include a controller with the tablet then what's the point? You're sacrificing your big screen TV or monitor for something the size of the Vectrex's screen. Tablets are a good gateway into other forms of gaming, though. It's just another means to play different kinds of games.

Really, anyone who comes in with a hot take on tablets replacing more traditional gaming platforms or even the PC are trying to sell you something or just don't know what they're talking about..

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Tablets are quite a long ways away from replacing anything for gaming. Even if the hardware gets there, the controls won't. If you include a controller with the tablet then what's the point? You're sacrificing your big screen TV or monitor for something the size of the Vectrex's screen. Tablets are a good gateway into other forms of gaming, though. It's just another means to play different kinds of games.

Really, anyone who comes in with a hot take on tablets replacing more traditional gaming platforms or even the PC are trying to sell you something or just don't know what they're talking about..

No one in this thread was arguing that tablet gaming would replace gaming. They were arguing that the decreasing presence of desktop PCs as a consumer item would as a result reduce the popularity of PC gaming. DStecks literally and specifically said that tablet gaming sucked and wasn't actually a replacement.

It wasn't "tablet gaming will be better than PC gaming", it was "tablets and laptops are displacing desktops generally as consumer items in the home, and this will have a concurrent impact on the popularity of PC gaming as a result".

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

It's Every Other Wednesday, so here's the latest Doctor Who Book Guide, this time on "Cat's Cradle: Warhead" by Andrew Cartmel, where we get Cartmel's idea of what the Doctor should be in its purist form. It's a bleak near-future techno-thriller, which sounds like something that shouldn't work Doctor Who, but still kinda does.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm finding the zeitgeist around NMS more and more annoying for how "the game has value" and "the marketing was misleading" are being treated as two wholly incompatible stances. Maybe it's because I'm not deeply entrenched in r/NOMANSLIE culture or whatever, but I totally get the "it's a roadtrip in space" appeal expressed in both videos while also finding Sean Murray's mercurial statements a bunch of bullshit that people are right to be angry about.

For a third opinion, Shamus Young has also been picking at the game, with his most recent post breaking down how the entire space combat system is woefully undercooked.

Even beyond the price point being way too high for me personally, NMS sounds frustratingly caught in the middle between an introspective, mechanics-light exploration game and a deep, complex sandbox. I'd gladly take either option done to the fullest, but right now the clunky mechanics sound like they detract from the exploration, while their lack of depth means there's also no real reward for investing in them. Blegh.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I'm finding the zeitgeist around NMS more and more annoying for how "the game has value" and "the marketing was misleading" are being treated as two wholly incompatible stances. Maybe it's because I'm not deeply entrenched in r/NOMANSLIE culture or whatever, but I totally get the "it's a roadtrip in space" appeal expressed in both videos while also finding Sean Murray's mercurial statements a bunch of bullshit that people are right to be angry about.

Yeah, same. Like, it may or may not be a good game, but it's not the game that was promised, so of course people who'd become invested in it would be ticked off.

I think it's especially irksome that a lot of the supporters are emphasizing how exciting the "You're totally alone and insignificant and nobody cares about you" gameplay is when, from what I've seen of the Murray stuff, they were advertising the opposite of that.

If I promise a cake and then offer a loaf of bread, it can be the most baller bread in the world, but it's still not cake, and there's no reason to expect my cake fan audience to enjoy the thing they were given when it's not what they came for. Just advertise what you're delivering, and the audience will be happy about it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

John Murdoch posted:

For a third opinion, Shamus Young has also been picking at the game, with his most recent post breaking down how the entire space combat system is woefully undercooked.

Even beyond the price point being way too high for me personally, NMS sounds frustratingly caught in the middle between an introspective, mechanics-light exploration game and a deep, complex sandbox. I'd gladly take either option done to the fullest, but right now the clunky mechanics sound like they detract from the exploration, while their lack of depth means there's also no real reward for investing in them. Blegh.

It's a good thing it doesn't have kids in it, or he'd get really angry

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dude should maybe comb his hair before getting in front of a camera. Its hard for me to take someone seriously when he looks like he rolled straight out of bed.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress you people are insane.

TVs are not going to die, people love having a big rear end screen to look at and they're cheap as hell now. No one wants to watch movies on a loving laptop/tablet screen.

Like, what the gently caress?

TVs and digital displays and projectors have been converging ever since the need for a tuner and speakers began waning. I have my TV plugged into my PC as a second monitor, and I had a hard time explaining that to my sister over the phone one day. She didn't quite grasp that you could do that. Average joes won't put that level of effort into their TV; they just want it to turn on and work.

But it's the easy content delivery that most people want from TV. They need a set top box or easy cable box interface to help them choose what to watch and set channels and schedules for them. In 1998 Steve Jobs said "You go to your TV when you want to turn your brain off. You go to your computer when you want to turn your brain on. Those are not the same." I say he's still right; His later interest in Apple TV doesn't contradict that, it proves it.

People come home from work and they want to just relax. They don't want to gently caress around with searching, typing, or any kind of thinking about what to watch. They want it as easy possible. My PC-as-TC setup, doing everything from Windows, is pretty much a nightmare for anyone. Explaining it to my elderly parents when they visit means I have to actually write down the steps to turn on the PC, it speakers, the monitors, etc... normal folks can't handle this! Turning on a computer and its stuff? SO HARD!

That's why I'm here reading this thread in the first place. I have no trouble with looking for what I want when I want it or using RSS feeds to make lists of updated stuff I want to see without relying on a lovely portal site like Channel Awesome or YouTube crappy promoted video recommendations. I like being in control and being active with what I watch. But I can see how that could tire some people.

Idran posted:

It wasn't "tablet gaming will be better than PC gaming", it was "tablets and laptops are displacing desktops generally as consumer items in the home, and this will have a concurrent impact on the popularity of PC gaming as a result".
Steve Jobs also said prior to his death that "PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of x people." I think he's right about that too. We'll always need trucks to do the tough work and tough play, even if most folks are OK with a Civic. :iiaca:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I love that Jim Sterling is making Boglin Watch 2016 a reoccuring thing. :allears:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I love that Jim Sterling is making Boglin Watch 2016 a reoccuring thing. :allears:

More entertaining internet people should just be really enthusiastic about their favorite toys on camera. It's like a nice dose of :3: after all the usual pissboiling.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

More entertaining internet people should just be really enthusiastic about their favorite toys on camera. It's like a nice dose of :3: after all the usual pissboiling.

So Thew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd3NpeFIlFk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ms Wallace, do you happen to be aware of The Littlest Hobo, by any chance? If you're on a kick of Lassie-like shows after that weird rear end Benji thing, you should check it out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ms Wallace, do you happen to be aware of The Littlest Hobo, by any chance? If you're on a kick of Lassie-like shows after that weird rear end Benji thing, you should check it out.

Oh man the theme tune just leapt full-formed into my head. It's been years!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's a good thing it doesn't have kids in it, or he'd get really angry

You seem to have a real problem with judging people for the opinions they have over judging them for the reasons they have those opinions.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Arcsquad12 posted:

A series on Ridiculous Dog Shows would be great. I mentioned Inspector Rex a good while ago and I think Lupa would get a real kick out of it (not just for Rex the overly-competent police dog, but also the fact that every episode has the same set-up: an obvious red herring person, and then we see the real criminals gloating about how they got away with the crime. They always look hilariously, obviously evil - the woman applying lipstick in a mirror evilly and the man looking like a bleach-blonde version of Patrick Bateman. Then obviously in the end Rex catches them.)

Also, there's the theme song, which according to a twitter friend of mine, sounds like it was written by three separate people, none of whom talked to each other while they were making it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Idran posted:

No one in this thread was arguing that tablet gaming would replace gaming. They were arguing that the decreasing presence of desktop PCs as a consumer item would as a result reduce the popularity of PC gaming. DStecks literally and specifically said that tablet gaming sucked and wasn't actually a replacement.

Tablets don't even seem to be doing that well. Or at least compared to smartphones if Apple sales reports are anything to go by. (I love my iPad Air but it in no way replaces what pcs, portable consoles, or home consoles can do. It's mostly my internet and YouTube device. Smartphones have even less utility as game and productivity platforms. They are good for quick bursts of a small style of game, making phone calls, and playing mp3s.)

But Classic Game Room said something super profound this week. "Games are supposed to be fun. Lighten up."

That's FUKKEN WISDOM right there. But everyone takes everything too serious these days and people make everything an unquestioning religion. The South Park "Truth somewhere in the middle" is closer than anyone wants to admit for all sorts of reasons.

But that would mean people gotta admit they were wrong or un/under informed about a thing.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've heard of it, but it sounds like no Tequila & Bonetti.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Akett posted:

You seem to have a real problem with judging people for the opinions they have over judging them for the reasons they have those opinions.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2385

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Give me one good reason why anyone here should care about this article from 2009.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Augus posted:

Give me one good reason why anyone here should care about this article from 2009.

There is actually no reason

No reason at all for anyone on God's green earth.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There is actually no reason

No reason at all for anyone on God's green earth.

Correct.

Anyway, No Man's Sky isn't very good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His billion word essay on the Mass Effect series is pretty top notch. Very long but he does a good job explaining his opinions on the franchise.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

His billion word essay on the Mass Effect series is pretty top notch. Very long but he does a good job explaining his opinions on the franchise.

It certainly has the Vox Day seal of approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He brought up Film Hulk in that Mass Effect essay. That alone disqualifies him from any award.

• Locked thread