Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He (Stieg Larsson) was also famous as a researcher of and activist against right-wing extremism. He was never able to marry, because a quirk of Swedish law would have then made it possible for Neo-Nazis to track him down. Thus after Larsson's death his girlfriend was screwed out of the series' rights and she refuses to release the manuscripts she still owns.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

My review of Lurkey's Chud is up at Eruditorium and you fine people are credited at the end. Obviously further conclusive evidence that Cultural Marxism was invented on the LF forum at SA.

AHAHAHA MIXERMAN JUST SHOWED UP TO FLAME HIM PERSONALLY HOLY poo poo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One pretty bad fantasy novel I remember reading a good number of years ago was the first one in the Chronicles of Blood and Stone series by Robert Newcomb. It's sort of like A Song of Ice and Fire, only with less nuance. Indeed, it was quite clearly a series that really wanted to be the next Song of Ice and Fire (though I wasn't aware of GRRM or his books yet when I read it), and it attempted to achieve this by piling on a whole lot of ripping and raping.

Now, if I recall correctly, the overarching plot of the series is basically a literal gender war, because the villain faction were all female, while most of the protagonists were male (and their relatives), while the main villain is a woman who walks around naked most of the time, and I understand that as the series progresses she ends up raping both the main hero and his sister.

I can't remember if Newcomb is the author I heard of describing their work as "gently caress fantasy" in the sense it was low, low, low fantasy with a bunch of loving in it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

divabot posted:

One of the funnier things (to me at least) about this whole thing is that Fenris Wulf would have a lot more cred if he actually were a Vox Day pseudonym.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So, the exploding school kids book turned out to be pretty decent after all. I was kinda pissed off at the latter 1/3rd of the book, but still, interesting.

For those who don't give half a gently caress about spoilers, gigantic mega spoilers for it : Turns out we never find out why the kids are exploding. I hate open ended bullshit like that.

Wasn't terrible, but I felt kinda bad about mentioning it in the thread, so I just wanted to leave a mention of it before I move onto my next book and forget this one existed. Not bad, starts out awesome, and then gets kinda depressing (as exploding people can, I reckon).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

divabot posted:

God drat, that whole comment thread is gold.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

flosofl posted:

"this terrible clique of the guy whose schtick I'm completely ripping off, and I also based my character's name on him, he dislikes me for some reason"

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

divabot posted:

I've been a sound engineer since I was sixteen, a recording engineer since I was eighteen. I make no bold claims of brilliance, though when I was actually doing it as a living, I worked with some bands you might have heard of if you were into the Christian hardcore scene. That is to say I'm definitely on the "bedroom recordist" side of the argument but know enough to get myself in trouble.

So it is with that pedigree that I say, objectivist mockery aside, that this fills me with schadenfreude the likes of which I haven't felt in a long time. :allears:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

flosofl posted:

It's pretty great, and I'm glad divabot added more bits in the comments, including a link that kinda explains the Nazi Taylor Swift thing. Not that I really imagined one could.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

catlord posted:

It's pretty great, and I'm glad divabot added more bits in the comments, including a link that kinda explains the Nazi Taylor Swift thing. Not that I really imagined one could.

I was slightly annoyed Phil told Fenris to gently caress right off in the comments, I was enjoying the taunting. OTOH it is Phil's site and the guy did choose to get his life's work published by a literally fourteen-words-spouting white nationalist, and that sort of thing may lower people's opinion of one.

Nobody here noticed that the guitar didn't have a strap and wasn't plugged in, but then so much else was wrong with everything else about the book I think we can all be excused.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
An hour and a half of my favorite terrible books.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The fact that I Don't Even Own A Television doesn't cover self-published books because they feel that it's punching down is understandable, but at the same time self-published books can reach that special kind of crazy and incompetent that you just can't get anywhere else.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that I Don't Even Own A Television doesn't cover self-published books because they feel that it's punching down is understandable, but at the same time self-published books can reach that special kind of crazy and incompetent that you just can't get anywhere else.

So, at best, quirky outsider art?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jerome Agricola posted:

At best. At worst you get something akin to those cars covered in hand-painted text about Jesus and Obama and Satan where you can't help but marvel at the particular combination of mental illness, incompetence, self-absorption, and Dunning-Kruger necessary to create something so broken and thrust it upon the world so proudly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

At best. At worst you get something akin to those cars covered in hand-painted text about Jesus and Obama and Satan where you can't help but marvel at the particular combination of mental illness, incompetence, self-absorption, and Dunning-Kruger necessary to create something so broken and thrust it upon the world so proudly.

don't sign your posts

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

The worst books I ever read was The Girl With A Dragon tattoo series. .

The worst part is that the mystery part of the book is easily figured out Harriet is still alive AS IT IS BEING INTRODUCED, so you have to read about this amazing investigator bumbling around ignoring the obvious for three hundred pages. Also, the book tells you the specs of someone's macbook and includes the web address of where he got his word processor for no reason.

gently caress those awful books.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Ddraig posted:

I think one of the worst pieces of dross I've ever had the misfortune of reading was The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings.

I've been told that Eddings is actually a good writer really but if this is anything to go by I fail to see how.

Most fantasy stuff is awful, but this manages to be both awful and dull at the same time.

It's about this roguish thief type character who is tasked to steal a book from the house at the end of the world and when he gets there it turns out when he leaves it's thousands of years in the future and the cat he had to keep him company is actually a beautiful goddess who is loved by everyone and who loves Althalus especially, because he is the only one who can save the world from the vaguely defined evil that probably could have been stopped from taking over the world if they had told Althalus to kill this one specific dude who is behind it all to begin with instead of this house bullshit.

That's really all I can remember about the book because the rest is just so painfully dull it's sort of leaked out of my brain without managing to catch anything on the way.

Althalus and the Goddess are such blatant author self inserts that your mind automatically replaces the names completely unbidden.

I've posted in here before about my unapologetic love of Eddings despite his many, many (many many many many many) flaws, largely because he was one of the first real fantasy authors I read in middle school aside from Piers Anthony. I've read Althalus a dozen times and I still cling to my love for it despite realizing a little bit more with every passing year that it, more than anything else in Eddings' canon, is full of the worst Gary Stu wish-fulfillment archetype-reusing Eddingsness. It's a deeply, deeply flawed book but I thorougly enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed anything else Eddings, because I really had no other baseline until I got older.

That being said, I haven't read anything Eddings in years, despite still owning every single book out of some perverse sense of completionism (or more likely :spergin:), because I'm pretty sure I'd shout at him now for being so utterly predictable. I do still name the occasional magical item in video games Bhellium or feel his style creeping into my own writing though. Maybe if I'd been able to tolerate slogging through Tolkien at 11 I wouldn't have fallen into the Xanth/Eddings trap.

Also the Malloreon is salvaged almost entirely by Zakath. :colbert:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The thing that really infuriates me about Eddings is that every original idea he had in the Belgariad and Mallorean was retconned in the terrible Polgara and Belgarath standalone books.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Oh hey I just finished listening to that. I swear all if those books were written by this crazy born again Christian biker who dated my friend in college. He did lots of meth and had been in prison since the 70's for manslaughter, meth, and racketeering. Then he found Jesus. Guy used to scare the poo poo out of me.

I was looking for some horror that wasn't zombies. So picked up Good Intentions by Elliot Kay. Turns out it wasn't horror its author insert smut, about a nerdy nice guy who rescues a succubus and an angel who then become his sex slaves. First book I ever returned on Audible .

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
David Eddings isn't good (to say the least) but I'm pretty sure he's better than Piers Anthony if for no other reason that (AFAIK) there isn't any creepy paedophile stuff in his books.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ZakAce posted:

David Eddings isn't good (to say the least) but I'm pretty sure he's better than Piers Anthony if for no other reason that (AFAIK) there isn't any creepy paedophile stuff in his books.

"Better than Piers Anthony" is such an incredibly low bar that it's surpassed by everyone except maybe L Ron Hubbard.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

wallaka posted:

The thing that really infuriates me about Eddings is that every original idea he had in the Belgariad and Mallorean was retconned in the terrible Polgara and Belgarath standalone books.

Had the Polgara book, my sweaty preteen fingers subconsciously rubbed away the ink on her embossed boobs. It was hidden in shame.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheKennedys posted:

"Better than Piers Anthony" is such an incredibly low bar that it's surpassed by everyone except maybe L Ron Hubbard.

Don't forget John Ringo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just scored Doom: Knee-Deep in the Dead for a buck. I feel like a kid who's just gotten the prize in the cereal box.

(edited for accuracy)

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Sep 15, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IamnotJoe posted:

I was looking for some horror that wasn't zombies. So picked up Good Intentions by Elliot Kay. Turns out it wasn't horror its author insert smut, about a nerdy nice guy who rescues a succubus and an angel who then become his sex slaves. First book I ever returned on Audible .

Dunno how that got classified as horror. It was originally on Literotica until the author took it down to sell it as a book.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ZakAce posted:

My 8th-grade lit teacher once told me that David Eddings had done time in jail and/or prison for child abuse, and that's where he started to write the Belgariad. My mom, who had lived in the same town as the teacher at that time, said this was true. But I have never found any evidence to back up their story.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

flosofl posted:

Don't forget John Ringo

How has the thread not been graced yet with "Oh John Ringo, no!"

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

wheatpuppy posted:

My 8th-grade lit teacher once told me that David Eddings had done time in jail and/or prison for child abuse, and that's where he started to write the Belgariad. My mom, who had lived in the same town as the teacher at that time, said this was true. But I have never found any evidence to back up their story.

Never heard that. He did burn down his garage and part of his house though, using matches to see if a puddle on his garage floor was gasoline. It makes those motivational quote posters that they attribute to him a lot better when you remember that.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Bamabalacha posted:

Murder John Ringo, imo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TheKennedys posted:

This is quite possibly the biggest literary burn I have ever read and I would like to shake you by the hand, sir.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tinker is an urban fantasy novel where some sort of portal opened, connecting the world to a bunch of elves and enabling magic to return to the world. Tinker is the scrappy female protagonist, who runs a salvage business and has her life interrupted by an elf prince named Wolfwind or some poo poo like that, being chased by actual wolves.

I honestly don't remember how the plot turned out, except when she meets the elf prince she immediately starts thinking about how her current boyfriend sucks, and several chapters later she bangs him.

And it turns out the elf secretly used a spell tied to his sperm to turn her into an elf without her consent or knowledge. And she's immediately okay with it and realizes that her old boyfriend sucked a lot and when he was 'spontaneous' he just didn't plan things through ahead of time

and then I threw the book away because seriously what the gently caress

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tunicate posted:

when he was 'spontaneous' he just didn't plan things through ahead of time

Isn't that basically the definition of spontaneous?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bamabalacha posted:

Ringo is basically just easy mode for this thread. I mean, I can't really think of any other series that stoops as low as having the heroic protagonist literally (as in, literally literally) be an admitted pedophile rapist with an actual underage harem. Like, Ringo doesn't even mince words or try to put some sort of spin on it. In one book he brutally rapes an underage forced prostitute and threatens her with death if she tries to run, in another he makes frequent use of a child-prostitute who is 14 years old at best. And the book never stops to consider that maybe those are bad things, it's always just presented as a manly man blowing off some steam in a super manly way.

And of course the protagonist is also so extremely good at sex that he literally fucks women blind. Once again, literally blind, Ringo makes up some poo poo about orgasms causing a loss of blood flow to the ocular nerve, because his understanding of sex is basically that of a horny 13 year old. As it happens there's currently a let's read of it going on in TFR, if you want to experience the horror directly: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751991

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerome Agricola posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Tinker is an urban fantasy novel where some sort of portal opened, connecting the world to a bunch of elves and enabling magic to return to the world. Tinker is the scrappy female protagonist, who runs a salvage business and has her life interrupted by an elf prince named Wolfwind or some poo poo like that, being chased by actual wolves.

I honestly don't remember how the plot turned out, except when she meets the elf prince she immediately starts thinking about how her current boyfriend sucks, and several chapters later she bangs him.

And it turns out the elf secretly used a spell tied to his sperm to turn her into an elf without her consent or knowledge. And she's immediately okay with it and realizes that her old boyfriend sucked a lot and when he was 'spontaneous' he just didn't plan things through ahead of time

I guess it's not the case elsewhere but here tinker is a slur for travellers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that basically the definition of spontaneous?

I think the point of that was, she complained because *wasn't* spontaneous. And when he was, she complained he didn't plan things out. A no-win for the ex-boyfriend.

I could be wrong having never read it (nor plan to), but that's about as much thought I'm willing to dedicate to it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Tinker, by Wen Spencer, right? I read that many years ago and got slightly further than you did, and I remember only two things. The first is her being turned into an elf, which you already mentioned.

The other happens shortly after that happens, when Tinker's Prince charming brings her to the elven court. The court is debating some important issue about working with humans, or something along those lines. Tinker decides to interrupt the proceedings to share her opinion even though she knows almost nothing about the elves or their culture because she's "young for an elf but when I was a human I was an adult!" The Elf Queen (of course there's a queen) immediately allows her to say her piece instead of slapping her down. By the way, Tinker is around 18 years old at best.

Also this all takes place in Pittsburgh, which is now the "Elfhome" thanks to the Chinese using incomplete plans for a warp drive stolen from the US that opened a portal to the realm of the elves.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

The Lone Badger posted:

Dunno how that got classified as horror. It was originally on Literotica until the author took it down to sell it as a book.

My fault then. I read cultist and dark ritual and thought it was some Lovecraft thing. Also there are a lot of sequels, which is impressive for one handed typing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Perestroika posted:

Ringo is basically just easy mode for this thread. I mean, I can't really think of any other series that stoops as low as having the heroic protagonist literally (as in, literally literally) be an admitted pedophile rapist with an actual underage harem. Like, Ringo doesn't even mince words or try to put some sort of spin on it. In one book he brutally rapes an underage forced prostitute and threatens her with death if she tries to run, in another he makes frequent use of a child-prostitute who is 14 years old at best. And the book never stops to consider that maybe those are bad things, it's always just presented as a manly man blowing off some steam in a super manly way.

And of course the protagonist is also so extremely good at sex that he literally fucks women blind. Once again, literally blind, Ringo makes up some poo poo about orgasms causing a loss of blood flow to the ocular nerve, because his understanding of sex is basically that of a horny 13 year old. As it happens there's currently a let's read of it going on in TFR, if you want to experience the horror directly: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751991

John Ringo's Ghost seems like an adaptation of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkO2_LdgSas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

flosofl posted:

Don't forget John Ringo

God, do I ever wish I could forget John Ringo.