Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

mind the walrus posted:

My broader point is that Marvel is at no shortage of female heroes to use before She-Hulk, almost all of whom slot into their existing tone right off.

They are going to need Ironheart pretty soon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mind the walrus posted:

My broader point is that Marvel is at no shortage of female heroes to use before She-Hulk, almost all of whom slot into their existing tone right off.

Well She-Hulk is one of the more famous females at Marvel, while a lot of the ones you named are less well known. That isn't really a big deal though obviously when they're willing to make a Jessica Jones show.

Ms. Marvel is one of the few bigger females than She-Hulk, especially non team affiliated ones like Jean Grey. If they're willing to ditch Mar-Vell from the movies canon (which certainly seems probable), she's also not dependent on a male to gain her power, or a female version of an existing male like She-Hulk would classically be. Though again, if they're willing to forgo Mar-Vell for Carol, they may just ditch the blood donation element of She-Hulk's origin.

They'll have Carol as a solo female for the movies and there's rumours Scar Jo is getting a solo Black Widow film too, so they may feel that's enough in conjunction with Agent Carter and Jessica Jones.

They may want to make a Khamala Khan show to capitalise on her current popularity before something like She-Hulk as well. Are there any other stand alone female heroes in Marvel that could be given a Netflix show? I'm having to stretch to Silver Sable or someone equally obscure to fill the same slot, and putting aside that she's not really a hero for a start, she's also probably under the Spider-man banner legally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 14, 2016

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I could see Silver Sable being used in Agents. She is a low powered (i.e. human) merc that hangs out with Deathlok a bunch.

Seems like a natural fit to their setting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe after Defenders, they can do an A-Force series?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really don't think a hero being C or D list really matters. I just think they're going to go for the heroes with the least head ache in regards to who holds rights and what not. And She-Hulk, unfortunately, is in that limbo. I really don't think we'll ever see Spider-related characters in TV/Netflix just because it inevitably brings up the "Why isn't Spider-Man here" question.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know Silver Sable or Prowler or even Cardiac wouldn't be tied to Spider-man for anyone but harder fans.

My most-wanted character is a Kate Bishop Netflix series, but I'd want Clint in a guest spot capacity and Renner isn't going to make it down to the Netflix field.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know Silver Sable or Prowler or even Cardiac wouldn't be tied to Spider-man for anyone but harder fans.

My most-wanted character is a Kate Bishop Netflix series, but I'd want Clint in a guest spot capacity and Renner isn't going to make it down to the Netflix field.

I dunno, he might. TV, especially netflix, isn't the anthema it once was. Also, years ago Renner was a TV actor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cool kids inc. posted:

I dunno, he might. TV, especially netflix, isn't the anthema it once was. Also, years ago Renner was a TV actor.

The one season cop show he starred in was real good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He shows up in a Season One episode of Angel with magnificent early 00s frosted tips. Imgur is down at the moment but when it's back I will post the glory.

E-- As promised.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 15, 2016

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He knows you like him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mind the walrus posted:

I think the bigger issue than which letter list a given hero or character is on is simply how well it fits into Marvel's plans. Marvel's built up a very, very strong brand - I'd be surprised if most Jessica Jones viewers had ever heard of her before trailers for the series came out (I only knew about her because I lurk and post in CineD and occasionally in BSS so I read all the chatter about Alias from the moment the show was announced), but they watched it based on the strong advertising, it being a good show in general, and the strength of the Marvel brand name.

The MCU's benefited from the same phenomenon. Marvel's demonstrably good at going "Hey, we know you've never heard of Ant-man or Guardians of the Galaxy or Dr. Strange, but trust us we're Marvel and this is going to be fun like the last several."

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

mind the walrus posted:

He shows up in a Season One episode of Angel with magnificent early 00s frosted tips. Imgur is down at the moment but when it's back I will post the glory.

E-- As promised.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. That hair is faaaaaaaaantastic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost a pity they didn't make him a recurring villain. He had the right concept for it and everything (he was turned into a vampire by the title character, now the title character is a good vampire). We could have seen those tips go through all sorts of frost.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I came home from work to find my wife watching this very episode and that exact seen in the first screencap. :what:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

They'll have Carol as a solo female for the movies and there's rumours Scar Jo is getting a solo Black Widow film too

The noise I've heard is that The Inhumans has been shelved for the Black Widow movie. It seems likely, they do try to keep a small distance between the cinematic and TV universes for now. The big exception will be Infinity War and its sequel, where basically everyone will be showing up across the two movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The rumblings I've heard is that the Inhumans was Perlmutter's pet project (he really wants them to replace the X-Men, which just isn't going to happen), and now that he's been minimized in the film department it's more or less shelved. However since Perlmutter is still involved in the TV side of things, along with Jeph "no continuity if I can help it" Loeb, which is likely going to tie up all the TV properties from showing up in Infinity War--and if they do it'll be in the smallest of cameos.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

They'll have Carol as a solo female for the movies and there's rumours Scar Jo is getting a solo Black Widow film too, so they may feel that's enough in conjunction with Agent Carter and Jessica Jones.

Funny how once Pearlmutter was out of the MCU they suddenly decided to have female led properties. Why we might even get an action figure or two out of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dumb thing too is that they have and have had plenty of female figures in the Marvel Legends inspired line. They should know full well they sell from those.

And on the high end, Hot Toys who make those $200+ ones said Black Widow has always been their top seller.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

And on the high end, Hot Toys who make those $200+ ones said Black Widow has always been their top seller.

If you do a search on youtube for 'black widow hot toys' and filter it by view count then you'll get an idea of what kind of people are spending $200 on a Scarlett Johanssen doll and I dunno if film studios are really that interested in pandering to that demographic

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Please cast this stunt woman as She-Hulk.

https://twitter.com/aoiph/status/777639675632713730

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
What I prefer they'd do is hold auditions and cast people who can act the roles as apposed to looking for doppelgangers and praying they are good. Its been a pretty solid system to this point.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
She's going to get cast in one of these things at some point. I mean come on, she's badass and adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfPpzIHBlBw

She also has a pet pig called Sammo Hog :3:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

She's a stunt woman on Supergirl, so it seems likely that if anyone was going to give her a shot it would be them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zythrst posted:

What I prefer they'd do is hold auditions and cast people who can act the roles as apposed to looking for doppelgangers and praying they are good. Its been a pretty solid system to this point.

And also Benedict Cumberbatch.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ok now I'm on board.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ok now I'm on board.

https://twitter.com/jessiegraffpwr/status/774300737631203328

Basically she's already a superhero, complete with sidekick. Her Twitter is kind of magical as there are all these little girls who've been inspired by her, being all kickass and awesome. One girl did 10 pull-ups to win a prize at an army booth. I've never been able to do 10 pull-ups in my life. Great role model to show young girls they can do all these things too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That was clearly a hamstand. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

computer parts posted:

Marvel has TV rights but since the MCU is all one thing they can't just have a different Spiderman pop up.

That's why Marvel has its hand in the Legion series, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's why Marvel has its hand in the Legion series, right?

Yes, Marvel allowed for Fox to make Legion and Hellfire (which has been dropped) in exchange for something I don't think was ever publicly disclosed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't think we actually know how much Marvel is actually involved in the Legion series, do we? I just kind of assumed it is the same general oversight they had with all the other properties held by other networks. And the Sony email leak showed that Marvel rarely if ever exercised much editorial control over it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I doubt they're involved at all, beyond signing off on it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Marvel has realized that--at the moment--all the Fox properties don't qualify as real competition to their stuff and they're plenty busy with all of their own stuff, so they're resigned to letting Fox do their thing and cashing any checks that come in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Klungar posted:

She's a stunt woman on Supergirl, so it seems likely that if anyone was going to give her a shot it would be them.

She also doubled for Bobbi on AoS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And Sarah on Chuck.

Apparently if you're tall, blonde (asterisk for Supergirl) and regularly kick people you call her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

http://i.imgur.com/3MshRjS.gifv

Standing back flip in floor length dress and high heels :eyepop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Standing back flip in floor length dress and high heels :eyepop:

I almost broke my ankle just watching that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well, back handspring, as though that makes it one iota less impressive. I mean goddamn woman.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess she probably has to do stunts in heels in her line of work, which I just realized for some reason. Some Ginger/Fred poo poo there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If I may be a total pig-- those legs and booty are worth dying over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think the best thing is how care free she is afterward, like it was a no effort thing to do. That, or that a dress that skimpy didn't end up revealing more on either the high kick or standing back hand spring. That's impressively cut.