Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Fox has acquired the life rights to Stan Lee and is preparing a biopic for release in late 2017 or 2018.

If it flops, will Marvel have to wait 7 years to do a reboot of Excelsior: The Stan Lee Story? Or will Fox just keep releasing a new Stan Lee movie every decade to keep the rights?

Bonus Question: Who will play Stan Lee? I vote for Idris Elba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fox has acquired the life rights to Stan Lee and is preparing a biopic for release in late 2017 or 2018.

If it flops, will Marvel have to wait 7 years to do a reboot of Excelsior: The Stan Lee Story? Or will Fox just keep releasing a new Stan Lee movie every decade to keep the rights?

I think Ike Perlmutter may have exploded when he was informed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Ike Perlmutter may have exploded when he was informed.

Ike Perlmutter probably has a contractual requirement that any portrayal of him on screen must be done Deepthroat-style with a full shadow obscuring his face and voice scrambling technology.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I read it's not actually a biopic, but a 70s action flick with Stan as the main character

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dacap posted:

I read it's not actually a biopic, but a 70s action flick with Stan as the main character

I would unironically be there at midnight to see this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dacap posted:

Bullshit, if any comics creator should get a 70s action movie it should be Jim Steranko.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bullshit, if any comics creator should get a 70s action movie it should be Jim Steranko.

I would kill for a 70's Buddy cup pastiche style movie (like the Good Guys) with Kirby as the bruiser and Steranko as the fast talking/get out of trouble using his smarts kind of guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I would kill for a 70's Buddy cup pastiche style movie (like the Good Guys) with Kirby as the bruiser and Steranko as the fast talking/get out of trouble using his smarts kind of guy.

Would Michael Parks reprise his role?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I was thinking 93 year old Stan would play himself but I'm not sure if that's not true.

They said Stan Lee would be a Rodger Moore James Bond so I hope Jack Kirby is Q, who designs all these genius toys but doesn't get much credit

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

Honestly I'm not certain that Steranko's Nick Fury wasn't directly inspired by his own life. Riding a motorcycle through a wall shirtless with a pair of huge guns seems like the kind of thing he would do.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Not sure if you're referring to this, but Kirby modeled Mr. Miracle after Steranko, who was a legit escape artist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/776125466113630208

Looks a bit like Nite Owl's suit. Which is cool because that suit design owned. Link to larger version: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsVYeQbWcAA_pgh.jpg:orig

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/776125466113630208

Looks a bit like Nite Owl's suit. Which is cool because that suit design owned. Link to larger version: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsVYeQbWcAA_pgh.jpg:orig

Nice Oakley's, Bruce.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

If they don't go with Gina Carano ...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So they dumped the perfectly fine BvsS and SS suit for....Night Owls suit? God drat Snyder is such a god drat hack.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He looks like he's wearing grandma sunglasses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha yeah in what world is Batman known for wearing a different suit all the time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't hate the new costume but jeezer creezer are those some terrible-looking sunglasses.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

Haha yeah in what world is Batman known for wearing a different suit all the time.

Besides action figures?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Toxxupation posted:

I don't hate the new costume but jeezer creezer are those some terrible-looking sunglasses.

If they were going to cover his eyes I have no idea why they didn't just give him white lenses

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

If they were going to cover his eyes I have no idea why they didn't just give him white lenses

Yeah, this seems like something the standard Batsuit should be designed to handle.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

From the Godzilla chat a couple of pages ago, here's a breakdown of Godzilla's allegiance film by film:

Godzilla: Villain
Godzilla Raids Again: Villain
King Kong vs. Godzilla: Villain
Mothra vs. Godzilla: Villain
Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster: Reluctant Hero
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero: Hero
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster: Reluctant Hero
Son of Godzilla: Hero
Destroy All Monsters: Hero
Godzilla's Revenge: Hero (sort of, in a dream).
Godzilla vs. Hedorah: Super hero
Godzilla vs. Gigan: Super hero.
Godzilla vs. Megalon: Super hero.
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla: Super hero.
Terror of Mechagodzilla: Super hero.
Godzilla 84: Villain
Godzilla vs. Biolantte: Villainish
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: Kind of both hero and villian in quite a compelling way.
Godzilla vs. Mothra: Villian.
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (II): Anti-hero
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla: Hero
Godzilla vs. Destroyah: Hero
Godzilla 98: Villain
Godzilla 2000: Anti-hero
Godzilla x Megaguirus: Anti-hero
Godzilla-Mothra-King Ghidorah: Villain (probably the most villainous he has ever been)
Godzilla x Mechagodzilla: Villain
Godzilla-Mechagodzilla-Mothra Tokyo SOS: Villain
Godzilla FInal Wars: Hero
Godzilla 14: Hero
Shin Godzilla: ????????? Probably a villain

He's more often a hero, but fits snugly into both, either one is justifiable.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What's your qualifier for Godzilla as Hero vs. Super Hero, because it seems to me Final Wars probably counts as a Super Hero. I feel like he's most like the Godzilla from the Gigan-Mechagodzilla years than anything else.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Godzilla as a superhero actively fights for the children of the earth or whatever. Final Wars Godzilla is a sort of rival to humanity that gets directed at the bad guys.

Also, I just wanna note I find GMD amusing because he's like, a fusion of all the spirits of Imperial Japanese soldiers, and it's kind of weird and hilarious.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Travis343 posted:

What's your qualifier for Godzilla as Hero vs. Super Hero, because it seems to me Final Wars probably counts as a Super Hero. I feel like he's most like the Godzilla from the Gigan-Mechagodzilla years than anything else.

Probably the human characters' opinion of Godzilla, despite his heroic feats in Final Wars he is still considered a menace, so much so that there is a lot of fretting about whether freeing him from the ice is a good idea. Contrast this with Godzilla vs. Megalon where the characters are all openly happy to call Godzilla to fight for them, because they are under no doubt that he will fight for good and not pose any other threat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For me, flying through the air and the victory dance are a sure sign of super hero status. Pretty much any movie where he's obviously intelligent and helping people on purpose.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Godzilla as a superhero actively fights for the children of the earth or whatever. Final Wars Godzilla is a sort of rival to humanity that gets directed at the bad guys.

Also, I just wanna note I find GMD amusing because he's like, a fusion of all the spirits of Imperial Japanese soldiers, and it's kind of weird and hilarious.

He's specifically the souls of everyone who died in the Pacific theater of WWII, not just the Imperial Japanese.

Karloff posted:

Probably the human characters' opinion of Godzilla, despite his heroic feats in Final Wars he is still considered a menace, so much so that there is a lot of fretting about whether freeing him from the ice is a good idea. Contrast this with Godzilla vs. Megalon where the characters are all openly happy to call Godzilla to fight for them, because they are under no doubt that he will fight for good and not pose any other threat.

Hmmm, this is pretty fair. Can we agree that Don Frye is a super hero, though?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So are all the Godzilla movies like separate universes or is it one continuity with multiple Godzillas or how does that series work?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

So are all the Godzilla movies like separate universes or is it one continuity with multiple Godzillas or how does that series work?

If I'm remembering right, different timelines. Generally the original Godzilla is the first one of each timeline, but they'll diverge from there. I know that 84 through to vs. Destroyah is all in continuity with each other, but not with '98/2000 and on, and not with Raids Again through to Terror of MechaGodzilla.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

catlord posted:

If I'm remembering right, different timelines. Generally the original Godzilla is the first one of each timeline, but they'll diverge from there. I know that 84 through to vs. Destroyah is all in continuity with each other, but not with '98/2000 and on, and not with Raids Again through to Terror of MechaGodzilla.

And then Final Wars is vaguely "all of them", even including American Godzilla.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

site posted:

Thanks for asking!

Usually, the one constant in Godzilla canon is the 54 original. The movies from 54-75 (the Showa series) comprise one canon, with the exception being Godzilla's Revenge, which takes place in the 'real' world, where Godzilla doesn't actually exist outside of movies and imagination. This series begins with Godzilla (1954) and ends with Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975).

In 1984 Toho released a movie titled Godzilla, commonly referred to as The Return of Godzilla or by the American chop job, Godzilla 1985. This movie kicked off the Heisei series of Godzilla movies, which ignore everything from the old movies except the 54 original. So in this canon, Godzilla appears in 1954, demolishes Tokyo, and is killed by the Oxygen Destroyer, then isn't heard from whatsoever for 30 years. This series begins with The Return of Godzilla (1984) and ends with Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995).

America's disastrous first attempt at a Godzilla movie in 1998 spurred Toho to reboot the series again with Godzilla 2000, which actually came out in 1999. Once again all of the previous Godzilla movies are non-canon, with the exception of the 54 original, making the Godzilla in 2000 the second time the monster has attacked. This spawned the oddball Millenium series of films, which unlike the Showa and Heisei series do not form any kind of 'canon' and are mostly completely stand-alone films, each of them sort of being a direct sequel or followup to the 54 original.

At least until Godzilla: Final Wars came out in 2004. Final Wars is set in a continuity where the Heisei and Millenium series never happened but the old Showa movies did, making it essentially a direct followup to 1975's Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Legendary's Godzilla 2014 is another stand-alone movie, and apparently Toho's Shin Godzilla is also supposed to be the first time Godzilla has showed up, making it the only Japanese film to ignore the 1954 original.

I can get into more depth if you want

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Margot Robbie has signed a deal with WB to produce and star in a couple of movies, including a Harley spin-off.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I watched so much Godzilla when I was a kid. And now that I've grown up I've realised that I only watched like, 10% of them.

I need to watch more.

Also, Godzilla 2014 is in continuity with the upcoming Kong: Skull Island movie and will, eventually, lead to a new King Kong vs. Godzilla. I am excited, personally.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Margot Robbie has signed a deal with WB to produce and star in a couple of movies, including a Harley spin-off.

She was a good Harley, it can be good if they don't go the comic route and make her a Deadpool clone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually they probably should do exactly that

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Travis343 posted:

I can get into more depth if you want

I would love this, personally.

Though, wasn't 2014 at least kinda in continuity with at least the original? I mean it's been two years since I saw it but I could've swore I remembered there being bits about them knowing Godzilla existed and that he had a bit of a reputation with the Japanese scientist at least.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Harley spinoff should be a romantic comedy with Poison Ivy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Harley spin-off should be a romantic drama with Poison Ivy like Blue is the Warmest Color.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

muscles like this? posted:

Jeez, WB are still going full bore with this whole thing, aren't they?

greatn posted:

The Harley spin-off should be a romantic drama with Poison Ivy like Blue is the Warmest Color.

Funny you should say that because Blue is the Warmest Color DC allow in their movies :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Sion posted:

Jeez, WB are still going full bore with this whole thing, aren't they?

Only the Harley film is actually a DC film; the rest are other projects.

• Locked thread