Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh, well that checks out then. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Maxwell Adams posted:

He definitely got the drama right. I think the main problem with his run is the terrible villains the X-Men had to deal with. The changes made to The Hellfire Club were atrocious, and that lasted until it finally got fixed last week. Even the lame villains can be pretty great, though. I'll always love the scene where the U-Men stage their assault against the mansion, only to have Jean Grey beat their entire group single-handedly.

Am I slowly forgetting Grant's run. I don't remember what he did with the Hellfire Club. Are you thinking about Aaron's run?

EDIT: How much SEX did you find in 118, Toxx?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Am I slowly forgetting Grant's run. I don't remember what he did with the Hellfire Club. Are you thinking about Aaron's run?

EDIT: How much SEX did you find in 118, Toxx?

I remember some drinking going on at the Hellfire Club during the Bachalo issues, but that's it.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
It was turned into a strip club wasn't it? That's where the Scott/Logan story arc starts.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Two things:

Elsa Bloodstone in A-Force 9 is my new permanent aesthetic. Every single panel that she's in, whatever she's doing, is unbelievable.

This is the most spiderman.jpg panel I've seen in a long, long time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Elsa Bloodstone is a great character in general. I wish Spurrier was writing her in something else after the great Marvel Zombies mini he did for Secret Wars.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dario the Wop posted:

It was turned into a strip club wasn't it? That's where the Scott/Logan story arc starts.

Oh yeah. Wolverine and Sabertooth talk poo poo at the pisser. Of course the Hellfire Club would have a gentlemans club. I'm sure Claremont would have done it if he could have gotten away with it in the 80's.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Miles having the talk with Luke and Jessica was pretty great. Him trying to salvage his identity then spending the rest of it freaking out was hilarious.

Gwenpool on the other hand was super hosed up and off-putting. Like what the gently caress story is this book trying to tell because Gwen casually trying to shoot a kid in the face is kinda messed up, regardless of what the kid did.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was loving great, is what it was. Gwenpool's turning into an all-time comic book with this issue, it was loving fantastic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toxxupation posted:

I really wish colourists could colour the web pattern on Spider-Man's costume so that it doesn't look like it's made of segments of some hard/shiny material. We've been there before:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have to wait until tomorrow to go to the comic shop, so I'm just reading stuff off of Marvel Unlimited.

I finished Inhumans and Magneto Rex just now. I'm thinking of reading Marvel Boy and Sentry next.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

I have to wait until tomorrow to go to the comic shop, so I'm just reading stuff off of Marvel Unlimited.

I finished Inhumans and Magneto Rex just now. I'm thinking of reading Marvel Boy and Sentry next.

both of those are good reads. you will not be disappointed. i did a big post in recommendations months ago about comics i found on MU I enjoyed.

spoilers: i enjoy most comics

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

People complained about the ninjas in Daredevil because they were done badly.

Rhyno posted:

And what about that goddamned hole they were digging!?!?!

Heh heh, those darn ninjas.

They're wacky.

(Ninja are never, ever cool, sorry guys. They all look like they're in ISIS or something.)

Back to talking about Morrison now. I've got to read it, I've got Unlimited. I started once years ago, to read the actual comics or trades but something came up IRL.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Elsa Bloodstone is a great character in general.

The post-Nextwave version is great. The original version is like shittier Buffy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dario the Wop posted:

Thanks for correcting me. I honestly associated the Legacy Virus with the '90s so I thought he'd been dead a few years. I also assumed that Morrison wouldn't read the previous era of X-Men comics.

What I've heard is that he read the Claremont and Byrne issues and virtually nothing else, which explain why he wrote Magneto the way he did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Miles having the talk with Luke and Jessica was pretty great. Him trying to salvage his identity then spending the rest of it freaking out was hilarious.

Gwenpool on the other hand was super hosed up and off-putting. Like what the gently caress story is this book trying to tell because Gwen casually trying to shoot a kid in the face is kinda messed up, regardless of what the kid did.

The whole part AFTER Banner's death is really heartbreaking with Miles, Nova and Kamala just not knowing how to process what's happened, and how destroyed Kamala is, and the boys moving to comfort her.

I want Elsa to be in Netflix or AoS or something so badly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Two things:

Elsa Bloodstone in A-Force 9 is my new permanent aesthetic. Every single panel that she's in, whatever she's doing, is unbelievable.

I fukken love the Nextwave censorship skulls.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I've heard is that he read the Claremont and Byrne issues and virtually nothing else, which explain why he wrote Magneto the way he did.

Well that and 9/11.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The pitch document makes it clear that he read the major stories, Morrison just loathes continuity like any sane person and he didn't give a poo poo if he pissed off a few fanboys who were overly attached to the shitheap that was 90s X-Men. I mean, look at the name of the book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

n/m

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm glad that Morrison decided to turn Scott into the world's biggest, lamest, most pathetic goon ever.

Because Scott Summers loving sucks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Young Scott is pretty rad though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like seriously "I hosed my marriage up irretrievably because I couldn't stop thinking about the weird sex stuff I wanted to do with my wife" is up there in the pantheon of nebbish loser ways to ruin a relationship. 100% Cyclops, gently caress that guy.

X-O posted:

Young Scott is pretty rad though.

Yeah that's true, young Scott is basically everything I wanted from Scott Summers as a character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Da motherfucking SHIELD z0ne

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Die Laughing posted:

Actually I was remembering things wrong. The Hellfire Club was ruined during Schism, which was waaay after New X-Men.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure the comic wants you to think that what Gwenpool tried to do is hosed up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wont she just regard everyone as just fictional characters?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Like seriously "I hosed my marriage up irretrievably because I couldn't stop thinking about the weird sex stuff I wanted to do with my wife" is up there in the pantheon of nebbish loser ways to ruin a relationship. 100% Cyclops, gently caress that guy.

So it's pretty clear you didn't understand a single thing Morrison did with Scott if this is what you think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure the comic wants you to think that what Gwenpool tried to do is hosed up.

Yea, it is super obvious Gwen is meant to be in the wrong here, but she realizes that she's in the wrong. Her final line of "Its not fun anymore" indicates that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Codependent Poster posted:

So it's pretty clear you didn't understand a single thing Morrison did with Scott if this is what you think.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but even then Morrison's arc for Scott is one of making him so wrapped up in his own perceived outwardly-facing image of an uptight repressed stick-in-the-rear end Goody McTwoShoes that it ends up killing his intimacy with Jean via self-fulfilling prophecy. I just found it especially humorous that Emma Frost - a woman ostensibly in his corner - made specific note that he thought dirty thoughts about his wife leading to their dead bedroom, like he's some sort of fuckin' Mormon.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Toxxupation posted:

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but even then Morrison's arc for Scott is one of making him so wrapped up in his own perceived outwardly-facing image of an uptight repressed stick-in-the-rear end Goody McTwoShoes that it ends up killing his intimacy with Jean via self-fulfilling prophecy. I just found it especially humorous that Emma Frost - a woman ostensibly in his corner - made specific note that he thought dirty thoughts about his wife leading to their dead bedroom, like he's some sort of fuckin' Mormon.

Wasn't the whole point that Scott and Jean fell apart because they couldn't communicate anymore? Jean was distracted by her metamorphosis into the Phoenix and was forgetting human needs; Scott felt stifled and unable to grow after being trapped on the same role for decades, feeling like he has to do the same thing over and over until that collapsed in on itself.

They stopped talking to each other and even true love can't survive a couple that isn't trying anymore.

But okay blame it on sex.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Scott was also still recovering from being merged with Apocalypse for a time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's just a general metaphor for the overall theme throughout Morrison's run, literally exemplified by his very first panel: just because something has always been one way doesn't mean it should always be that way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sentry ended so abruptly I honestly thought Marvel Unlimited didn't have the whole thing up.

Still, that comic was a great read. I really enjoyed the meta poo poo in it. Marvel Boy, on the other hand, I thought was kinda just ok. Just didn't do much for me.

The nice thing about having not read a whole lot of Marvel stuff is that there's still a bunch on here for me to read for the first time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Equilibrium posted:

The pitch document makes it clear that he read the major stories, Morrison just loathes continuity like any sane person and he didn't give a poo poo if he pissed off a few fanboys who were overly attached to the shitheap that was 90s X-Men. I mean, look at the name of the book.

Morrison like continuity, just some of it. That is why Magento went super hitler because Morrison was pissy about anti hero Mags. He is the ultimate fanboy really.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Morrison takes old things and then puts them through a different prism. It makes things fascinating.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Not to mention Magneto was high on Kick, which was part of Sublime's plan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

Sentry ended so abruptly I honestly thought Marvel Unlimited didn't have the whole thing up.

Still, that comic was a great read. I really enjoyed the meta poo poo in it. Marvel Boy, on the other hand, I thought was kinda just ok. Just didn't do much for me.

The nice thing about having not read a whole lot of Marvel stuff is that there's still a bunch on here for me to read for the first time.

Over 1600 comic series if you exclude Star Wars. :unsmigghh:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Gwen

I rather enjoyed Miles' aghast reaction to her typical CD tacticlol realism approach to dealing with ne'er-do-wells.

That punch didn't really look all that pulled though, ow. Couldn't he just zap her instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

Re: Gwen

That punch didn't really look all that pulled though, ow. Couldn't he just zap her instead?

Yeah let's add more poo poo on the "things Miles have easily solved by zapping"

• Locked thread