Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, with Perry getting his dance on, Walker doing whatever the gently caress he's doing, Newt praising the Trump God, Palin knocking herself out on rocks or some poo poo, and the rest doing their thing, I have to ask -- what the hell is Jindal doing nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A lovely Reporter posted:

They're still human beings who deserve to live, and the campaign doesn't make the distinctions you're making.

nobody deserves to live, life is meaningless in the face of the eventual heat death of the universe

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

There will be no lasting consequences to the case. Any political embarrassment Walker suffers will not lead to real systemic change.

I know, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IffPAJC9G9Q

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Guys, with Perry getting his dance on, Walker doing whatever the gently caress he's doing, Newt praising the Trump God, Palin knocking herself out on rocks or some poo poo, and the rest doing their thing, I have to ask -- what the hell is Jindal doing nowadays?

Hopefully loving a cactus full of wasps.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh goody, let me the first to say:

"Shame on you for being excited about watergate only when Nixon is on your team"

:colbert:

It's not the hack that I'm interested in, it's the dirt.

I mean, if Woodward and Bernstein had used hacker tools to uncover the Watergate scandal I would have said they broke laws but still did the right thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hell yeah, fav band right here, unsure how to feel about us having similar music tastes tho...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:allears:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FactsAreUseless posted:

It wouldn't matter either way. The Trump Foundation Newsweek and Washington Post stories didn't turn out to matter. The NY attorney general investigation won't matter. The Trump U lawsuit won't matter. Clinton will win or lose narrowly in a tight race, the news will go "oh gosh what a race" and there will be a couple blog posts where people "put the media on trial" and then nothing will happen and it'll be 2017.

...the Trump foundation story has caused a formal investigation. that's not over yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have a girl (she's 30, so a woman really) on my Facebook who is self-diagnosed Aspergers and posts constantly about Autism Speaks as a genocidal organization that is targeting her and others like her. She constantly posts about meetups her group does and how they protest Autism Speaks events with signs and chants. She posts long essays about how offensive it is that people want to "cure" her and exterminate "non-neurotypicals" and that autistic people provide a unique and valuable point of view in the world.

I've never heard anyone talk about Autism Speaks outside of her until just now in this thread. So, was she right all along?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

white washing himself.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In which canadian judges are just as loving stupid as their US judicial brethren:

quote:

[ A judge who asked accusatory questions to a rape victim during a trial is now facing a disciplinary hearing, the Canadian Press reported. The Canadian Judicial Council will conduct an inquiry to determine whether or not Judge Robin Camp should remain on the bench after making comments that he has since acknowledged were insensitive.

A complaint against Camp, brought by four law professors, referred to a rape trial where a woman accused a man of raping her on top of a bathroom sink at a party. It says that Camp asked the woman questions including, “Why couldn’t you just keep your knees together?” and “Why didn’t you just sink your bottom down into the basin so he couldn’t penetrate you?” The complaint also says that Camp referred to the woman as “the accused” multiple times during the trial, according to CBC News.

A notice of response filed on Camp’s behalf said that the judge agrees that what he said was inappropriate, and that he will apologize at the hearing. The notice also said that Camp now has a greater understanding of the trauma that sexual assault survivors face, and he promises not to make similar comments again. He has gone through training and counseling with a superior court judge, psychologist, and sexual assault law expert.

The hearing is scheduled to take place this September in Calga

New canadian PSAs about rape -- stick your rear end in a toilet bowl, you tart

also

mandatory lesbian posted:

nobody deserves to live, life is meaningless in the face of the eventual heat death of the universe

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've been thinking and I'm having trouble understanding why the race is so close in Florida. Ohio I can understand because I can believe that it may be one of the few states that is demographically changing in a way that is not advantageous to Democrats. More poorly educated white people. But Florida is filling up with an increased amount of Hispanic and Black voters. I know there are the conservative Cubans and white retirees throwing off the numbers but it's still a bit strange to me. What was the voting breakdown for Florida in 2012 because I can't see how it would be less favorable to Clinton than it was for Obama since she's doing even better than he was with minorities.

I'm kind of down because I'm slowly coming to the realization that this won't be the embarrassing blowout that I was expecting this summer. I mean, barring some epic Trump meltdown during the debates. The nation is just too polarized. So I'm thinking of a map where Clinton losses Ohio but wins NC and Florida and ends up with 320ish EVs. Which I would take any day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have a girl (she's 30, so a woman really) on my Facebook who is self-diagnosed Aspergers and posts constantly about Autism Speaks as a genocidal organization that is targeting her and others like her. She constantly posts about meetups her group does and how they protest Autism Speaks events with signs and chants. She posts long essays about how offensive it is that people want to "cure" her and exterminate "non-neurotypicals" and that autistic people provide a unique and valuable point of view in the world.

I've never heard anyone talk about Autism Speaks outside of her until just now in this thread. So, was she right all along?

Here's a good example of the sort of positive work Autism Speaks does:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/advocacy/advocacy-news/faqs-south-carolina-autism-insurance-reform-law-ryans-law

I can't comment about anything they might be doing with people who have the diagnosis formerly known as asperger's. They probably were involved in the push to get "Asperger's" included under the "autism" umbrella, but there were good policy reasons behind that: insurance companies and providers would frequently classify significantly disabled kids as having "asperger's" rather than "autism" because insurance would cover costs of treatment for "autism" but not for "aspergers", so the "Asperger's" diagnosis turned into a way to justify denials of needed care.

Mostly it's all fight over whether or not to cover ABA therapy. ABA therapy costs about fifty grand a year (you essentially need to hire a full time therapist) but, like, actually works, and can save hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions in health care costs over the course of a lifetime; it can mean the difference between institutionalization and living independently in the community, and in some cases can even "cure" autism spectrum disorder in the sense that individuals stop exhibiting symptoms.

I don't know what Autism Speaks might be doing in terms of, like, television advertising or whatever it is that's offending your friend, but I do know they've been a big factor in getting expanded health care coverage for a lot of kids who really needed it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 15, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ronald six wilson six reagan

six six six

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I hate this election

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Here's a good example of the sort of positive work Autism Speaks does:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/advocacy/advocacy-news/faqs-south-carolina-autism-insurance-reform-law-ryans-law

I can't comment about anything they might be doing with people who have the diagnosis formerly known as asperger's. They probably were involved in the push to get "Asperger's" included under the "autism" umbrella, but there were good policy reasons behind that: insurance companies and providers would frequently classify significantly disabled kids as having "asperger's" rather than "autism" because insurance would cover costs of treatment for "autism" but not for "aspergers", so the "Asperger's" diagnosis turned into a way to justify denials of needed care.

Mostly it's all fight over whether or not to cover ABA therapy. ABA therapy costs about fifty grand a year (you essentially need to hire a full time therapist) but, like, actually works, and can save hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions in health care costs over the course of a lifetime; it can mean the difference between institutionalization and living independently in the community, and in some cases can even "cure" autism spectrum disorder in the sense that individuals stop exhibiting symptoms.

I don't know what Autism Speaks might be doing in terms of, like, television advertising or whatever it is that's offending your friend, but I do know they've been a big factor in getting expanded health care coverage for a lot of kids who really needed it.

Yeah, I don't doubt they do good work. I just have no idea what would cause people with Aspergers or who are autistic to have such a weird hatred for another autism group. I thought she was just a lone crazy, but then she had a group do meetups and protest, so I figured she had a small local group of crazies. I've never heard anything about this group outside of her until people in this thread started repeating her weird claims about autism genocide.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm seriously thinking of checking out until the debate because jfc I want off the gravitron

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
devastating if true

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean, we absolutely SHOULD be trying to cure autism, shouldn't we? I think recently there have been some promising results on animal testing. If there's some kind of intervention therapy that can give people normal social functionality if done early enough, it should absolutely be pursued.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I'm thinking of a map where Clinton losses Ohio but wins NC and Florida and ends up with 320ish EVs. Which I would take any day.
538 has her max EVs at 297 right now, and that's giving her Florida (where she's currently losing in the polls). If things continued into Election Day as they are today, she'd get 279 EVs. Barely winning means Democrats don't win the Senate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
four more years of 8 justices

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's now put up or shut up. C-SPAM's toxx thread is waiting for you. Embrace it you gently caress.

Did I miss something in the thread rules about you have to Toxx in order to argue a side here?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really don't understand why people get mad at Clinton for being, in their words, a bad candidate and blame that for why the election is so close. You should be blaming the retards who look at her and go "I think I'll vote for the literal fascist"

I don't think you understand the definition of either literal or fascist.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 15, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So Hillary is dipping in the polls because she has pneumonia?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah, I don't doubt they do good work. I just have no idea what would cause people with Aspergers or who are autistic to have such a weird hatred for another autism group. I thought she was just a lone crazy, but then she had a group do meetups and protest, so I figured she had a small local group of crazies. I've never heard anything about this group outside of her until people in this thread started repeating her weird claims about autism genocide.

From what I can tell with a quick google it seems to be mostly that AS is

1) primarily a parent's and family member's group,
2) focused primarily on the sharp, harsh end of the autism spectrum.

The "genocide" claims seem to be because AS spends a lot of research money on trying to find a "cure" for autism, which is exactly what a lot of parents would literally kill for but is seen by some people on the lighter end of the spectrum as equivalent to trying to find a cure for homosexuality. As others have pointed out above, this is basically because there's a *really* wide range of diagnoses, ranging from people who aren't too different from anyone else on this forum, to people who are nonverbal and try to gouge their own eyes out on a regular basis.

I can understand why some people with relatively mild diagnoses would get pissed off by being told they needed a "cure," but I'd also remind those people of the folks on the other end of the spectrum.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 15, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

patonthebach posted:

Did I miss something in the thread rules about you have to Toxx in order to argue a side here?

If you wanna roll deep you do

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

No, probably because she was collapsing to the ground and looked gravely on 9/11, being dragged into a van by secret service agents. And not being more forthcoming about her medical issues.

If a week ago she just said it was an issue and took adequate measures to only do 15 minutes outside instead of an hour, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

greatn posted:

I mean, we absolutely SHOULD be trying to cure autism, shouldn't we? I think recently there have been some promising results on animal testing. If there's some kind of intervention therapy that can give people normal social functionality if done early enough, it should absolutely be pursued.

When it comes to basically non-functional people who need round-the-clock care either with their parents or in an institution, yeah. But the Autism diagnosis scales all the way down to a lot of people who are largely high-functioning (can get jobs and maybe even live alone) but have deficits in some areas like social skills or executive functions or whatever. So people on that end of the Spectrum who are coping with life see a cure as basically an enforced personality change, and thus object.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Crows Turn Off posted:

538 has her max EVs at 297 right now, and that's giving her Florida (where she's currently losing in the polls). If things continued into Election Day as they are today, she'd get 279 EVs. Barely winning means Democrats don't win the Senate.

I can't wait for the documentary about the DNC and the Hilary campaign's secret strategy to barely win and not take the Senate.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

She's been losing support for a number of weeks now, it's not a sudden change. Over the course of a month, she's gone from a high-mark to nearing her low mark. As others have mentioned, that doesn't mean Trump is gaining support, his numbers don't move all too much. The recent health thing will probably make it dip further.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yard sign anecdote time: I live in a generally red district of a blue state (US Rep and state Rep have been (R) for a long time).

I've seen virtually zero Hillary yard signs but tons of signs for the downticket Democrats. On the other hand, I've seen a number of Trump signs but almost none for any other Republicans.

I have no idea what this means.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Autism Speaks wants a "cure" for autism, and when they say that they mean they want it so that there aren't people who have very severe autism anymore, the sort where they can't communicate, and often many other issues going on.

People who are just barely on the autism spectrum hear about curing autism, think it refers to them, and think it would completely change them to be slightly better at reading social cues or whatever other minor issues they have. Though I think those people are also quite a bit selfish because there's people only as bad off as they are who don't like being that way and would appreciate the ability to change.

The reality is that any "cure" is aiming to move people from the first, very crippled, group to being in the latter group of people who have very minor issues - and really issues that are no worse than other people we call "normal" have. And more likely it's going to move the very crippled type to somewhere inbetween the two groups, possibly including things like being able to live more independently. (Plus again: scientists believe there isn't just one "autism" thing going on, but multiple different things that present outwardly similar results. So a "cure" is probably only going to function on a subset of any of them).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jackson Taus posted:

When it comes to basically non-functional people who need round-the-clock care either with their parents or in an institution, yeah. But the Autism diagnosis scales all the way down to a lot of people who are largely high-functioning (can get jobs and maybe even live alone) but have deficits in some areas like social skills or executive functions or whatever. So people on that end of the Spectrum who are coping with life see a cure as basically an enforced personality change, and thus object.

Why would it be enforced? If they're competent to live on their own, then wouldn't they not be forced to take the cure? Are the people opposed to Autism Speaks imagining Gestapo agents breaking into model train stores and spraying everyone there with a mutagen gas that turns them into football fans?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've been thinking and I'm having trouble understanding why the race is so close in Florida. Ohio I can understand because I can believe that it may be one of the few states that is demographically changing in a way that is not advantageous to Democrats. More poorly educated white people. But Florida is filling up with an increased amount of Hispanic and Black voters. I know there are the conservative Cubans and white retirees throwing off the numbers but it's still a bit strange to me. What was the voting breakdown for Florida in 2012 because I can't see how it would be less favorable to Clinton than it was for Obama since she's doing even better than he was with minorities.

I'm kind of down because I'm slowly coming to the realization that this won't be the embarrassing blowout that I was expecting this summer. I mean, barring some epic Trump meltdown during the debates. The nation is just too polarized. So I'm thinking of a map where Clinton losses Ohio but wins NC and Florida and ends up with 320ish EVs. Which I would take any day.

Voter suppression by the GOP and these polls tending to disregard younger voters. Florida is also incredibly swingy depending on where exactly you are - Florida has red parts and blue parts and rarely do they overlap much so polls can be unreliable.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

patonthebach posted:

Not sure how often you post/read this thread but CelestialScribe only posts to whine about how Trump's totally gonna win it this time guys. Like that's all this person does.

Edit: I just looked at their last 10 pages of posts (it's not much but whatever) and all but 3 were in USPol and 1 of those was CSPAM.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FuturePastNow posted:

I have no idea what this means.

Nothing.

Because nothing matters.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crows Turn Off posted:

She's been losing support for a number of weeks now, it's not a sudden change. Over the course of a month, she's gone from a high-mark to nearing her low mark. As others have mentioned, that doesn't mean Trump is gaining support, his numbers don't move all too much. The recent health thing will probably make it dip further.

Part of the problem was the endless string of hit pieces on her where they went "WELL, IT LOOKS IMPROPER AND ILLEGAL BUT NOTHING WRONG HAPPENED BUT WE WON'T TALK ABOUT NOTHING WRONG HAPPENING UNTIL THE VERY END :downs:".

Trump also stopped completely making GBS threads the bed, but none of his gaffes got anywhere in the news, instead most places taking a "TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE" stance.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

patonthebach posted:

No, probably because she was collapsing to the ground and looked gravely on 9/11, being dragged into a van by secret service agents. And not being more forthcoming about her medical issues.

If a week ago she just said it was an issue and took adequate measures to only do 15 minutes outside instead of an hour, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

Maybe we deserve TRUMP. Can't wait to become a Trumpling.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
I hope Hillary just disembowels Trump during the debate. Literally.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cthulhumatic posted:

I dunno man. I think she'd probably come off as "shrill" if she did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cthulhumatic posted:

i wouldnt get your hopes up

• Locked thread