Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
My controversial opinion on Frontier: the bridge crew is better than the rest of the cast (besides Sheryl and Ozma, who are great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I just don't care about anime teenagers trying to smooch each other. It isn't in me.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I haven't watched Macross Frontier. My first exposure to it was SRW and I could not stand Alto for whatever reason. But I liked both Sheryl and Ranka in SRW, but that may be just because they are not Alto.

Actually SDF Macross is the only Macross I have seen. Will we ever see it again in a SRW game? Roy Focker, where are you? :(
The original Macross has a few issues that kind of prevents its comeback tour. The biggest is unfortunately Roy Focker himself, as his voice actor (the legendary Akira Kamiya) retired several years ago. Then there a few cases of VA deaths (IIRC, Hikaru's lines in various stuff over the past decade are just lines from the show or Do You Remember Love? and has never been recast) also preventing it from returning.

The best chance at SDF Macross returning would have been SRW L in 2010, which was the last non-voiced SRW made. Sadly, that was instead Frontier's big debut.

Televisio Frankus posted:

My controversial opinion on Frontier: the bridge crew is better than the rest of the cast (besides Sheryl and Ozma, who are great).
I would gladly pay money for a Bobby Margot spin-off. Even if it's a silly slice-of-life show where he and the rest of the bridge bunnies shoot the breeze about fashion and gossip.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
If the lack of new lines would be a problem for DYRL, then it should've also stopped the likes of Daitarn or, until recently, the original Mazinger and Getter.

I reckon what they recorded for the Alphas and others ought to be more than enough.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

If the lack of new lines would be a problem for DYRL, then it should've also stopped the likes of Daitarn or, until recently, the original Mazinger and Getter.

I reckon what they recorded for the Alphas and others ought to be more than enough.
Hikaru's VA died in 1996, well before the Alpha games were made. Roy, on the other hand, probably has plenty of lines from Alpha 1 and Alpha 3 (or even the Another Century's Episode games) to fill in the gap.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
What's the best all stat upgrades bonus for the Arbalest in SRW J? (Because full weapon upgrade apparently comes with its own bonus.) Do I get free flight if I go with the S on all terrain bonus? I'm kind of on the fence between that and mobility, because it's already ridiculously agile, but I suppose an S rating anywhere would do pretty much the same thing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They should just recast dead or retired voice actor's characters more often like they did for God Sigma.

Aithon posted:

What's the best all stat upgrades bonus for the Arbalest in SRW J? (Because full weapon upgrade apparently comes with its own bonus.) Do I get free flight if I go with the S on all terrain bonus? I'm kind of on the fence between that and mobility, because it's already ridiculously agile, but I suppose an S rating anywhere would do pretty much the same thing.

You don't get free flight, you'll still have to burn a part slot. If movement is an option go for that, if not just boost HP or something. More mobility isn't really helpful for one of the dodgiest units in the game and all of its attacks are ammo based.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 15, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Aithon posted:

Always S ranks. Always and forever.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

They should just recast dead or retired voice actor's characters more often like they did for God Sigma.
God Sigma had the excuse of "We've never recorded lines for this show before, so we can get away with it because they're technically new content and won't offend people". It also helped they had a big fan of the show on hand to jump at the opportunity.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Hokuto posted:

Always S ranks. Always and forever.

Got it, thanks. :getin:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Aithon posted:

S ranks boost literally everything you do, so that's objectively the best choice.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://youtu.be/myk7CT2WZGE Fresh new trailer for G Gen

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

HitTheTargets posted:

I just don't care about anime teenagers trying to smooch each other. It isn't in me.

Same, friend. We are alone in the world of anime.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

First look at SD Gundam G Generation Genesis' localization.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

AradoBalanga posted:

The original Macross has a few issues that kind of prevents its comeback tour. The biggest is unfortunately Roy Focker himself, as his voice actor (the legendary Akira Kamiya) retired several years ago. Then there a few cases of VA deaths (IIRC, Hikaru's lines in various stuff over the past decade are just lines from the show or Do You Remember Love? and has never been recast) also preventing it from returning.

Kenji Nojima has voice Hikaru since Arihiro Hase's death so if Hikaru was recast so long ago, I do not see why they cannot do the same for Roy.

The GIG posted:

Oh poo poo "Hi-Nu Gundam wa date ja nai!" Have they done that variation on that line for Hi-Nu before? In Full Boost it just reuses all the Nu's voice lines.

ZuljinRaynor fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, "this HI Nu Gundam isn't just for show" has been in a few different things. I know it's shown up in SRW at least once.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, "this HI Nu Gundam isn't just for show" has been in a few different things. I know it's shown up in SRW at least once.

How good are the SD Gundam games with voice lines?

I know God Finger got a lotta love in the previous games but how likely is it that Kai will say "Fin Funnel" if I put him in Nu Gundam or Amuro will say "This is no Zaku" if I put him in a Gouf?

I know it would be a lot of time and work for them to do lots of these, but how common are they in this series?

It was very minor, but I did like it is SRWZ3 when I put Four in the Nu Gundam and she called out the fin funnels when using that attack. Amuro says something about the Zeta if he pilots it. I know he has custom lines when he pilots Turn A as well. I like this kind of stuff. It is what I like about these kinds of games.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Is there anything about the original Macross that would make its plot hard to integrate? That's an excuse I always hear for why original SEED and 0079 don't show up very often.

Alpha 1 was odd in that it took like half of the game before the series showed up if I'm remembering it right.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SEED and 0079 are actually really easy to use. They are just big wars. Macross is about a trip through space so it can be awkward to include large parts of its story unless you used other shows about space travel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alpha 1 was cool because you choose decisions that determined if you got the sdf storyline or the dyrl version.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ZuljinRaynor posted:

How good are the SD Gundam games with voice lines?

I know God Finger got a lotta love in the previous games but how likely is it that Kai will say "Fin Funnel" if I put him in Nu Gundam or Amuro will say "This is no Zaku" if I put him in a Gouf?

I know it would be a lot of time and work for them to do lots of these, but how common are they in this series?

It was very minor, but I did like it is SRWZ3 when I put Four in the Nu Gundam and she called out the fin funnels when using that attack. Amuro says something about the Zeta if he pilots it. I know he has custom lines when he pilots Turn A as well. I like this kind of stuff. It is what I like about these kinds of games.

Everybody saying big lines for the protag units is sort of the point so they'll be there. Still not seeing any text for in battle stuff though which is gonna be a bummer. In Z3 Char, Amuro, Kamille and Haman have a couple of lines for the Nu, Zeta, Turn A and Sazabi and it's cool as heck.

Aithon posted:

Yeah in J all S ranks is objectively the best choice. You can either get 10% more dodge or armour or HP etc, or you can get 10% more dodge AND defence AND accuracy and everything else that terrains effect. I'm pretty sure J was the last game where the option was all S ranks rather than just one.

Caphi posted:

Same, friend. We are alone in the world of anime.

I still roll my eyes at the "pick Ranka" option in Z3.2 when the entirety of Frontier is Alto is very clearly having no romantic interest in Ranka but also not wanting to crush her fragile self-esteem. I'm all for SRW secrets that mix stuff up and Zambot's message gets all sorts of turned around but geez way to completely 180 the entire characterization.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So in Moon Dwellers, what specifically carries over to NG+? I saw something like "half your money, exp, and pp," but does that include money/pp spent on upgrades?
I'm planning towards doing the routes I didn't do the first time and want to know what I should focus on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes it's total money earned, not just unspent money.

I don't know about PP though. in some SRWs they put all PP earned in a pool and distribute it evenly for New Game +, while others just carry over each pilots total PP counts.

EXP never carries over.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes it's total money earned, not just unspent money.

I don't know about PP though. in some SRWs they put all PP earned in a pool and distribute it evenly for New Game +, while others just carry over each pilots total PP counts.

Thank you, that's helpful to know.

quote:

EXP never carries over.

Whoops. I meant Kills.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
MD does % of total money earned, kills, PP and ability points.

In MD PP is individual rather than pooled and split. eg: if Lamia earns 1000 she will have 500 at the start of the 2nd run in addition to whatever she got for free for existing.

The % carryover goes up with each repeat, 50% on the second playthrough, 75% on the third and 100% from the fourth onwards.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thank you for confirming. So when I need to get Latooni/Yon/Ibis/etc to 70 kills according to the secrets chart, does that mean 70 by chapter 12 in the NG+ or will 70 in the final map be sufficient?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Moon Dwellers has each pilot carry over their individual earned PP.

First New game + is 50% money/PP/Ability points and all kills as well.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Senerio posted:

Thank you for confirming. So when I need to get Latooni/Yon/Ibis/etc to 70 kills according to the secrets chart, does that mean 70 by chapter 12 in the NG+ or will 70 in the final map be sufficient?

70+ by the final map is sufficient to get the things on stage 12 on the next run. I haven't done a third run to confirm whether they are unlocked forever once you hit 70 a single time or not yet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Are any of them worth it? I'm using all three of them anyway, but it'd be nice to know that the mechs they unlock are good. Also is there a better mech for Yon than her default? The Pfeil is a decent unit, but I'd like to see if there's a better choice for her.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Liege Geios is basically Yon's upgrade mech and helps her keep up better than the Pfeil III does.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's good. I'm in my first playthrough right now, though, so is there a good mech to stash her in during this run?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Senerio posted:

Are any of them worth it? I'm using all three of them anyway, but it'd be nice to know that the mechs they unlock are good. Also is there a better mech for Yon than her default? The Pfeil is a decent unit, but I'd like to see if there's a better choice for her.

Anything that is mostly ranged is good for Yon because she's awful at melee, I don't think there's anything that particularly stands out as mega amazingly better for her. Maybe Yuuki and Carla's Randgrith things or the Exbein Gunner form for alternatives, but the Pfeil is pretty solid already.

The Liege Geios is the best of the secret things and is actually a good upgrade for Yon because she has hit and away. It doesn't shoot swords at people like the Pfeil and is kinda super ugly though. The Kerbelion is completely meh but being mostly locked behind NG+ means you'll have money to spare to go wild with upgrades and make anything amazing if you want it enough.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thanks, just checking because her role has been to be Calvina's second, and her range just isn't up to snuff thanks to me putting Katia in the Bellezute. I'll probably swap her to be someone else's backup when the routes merge again.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Senerio posted:

Thanks, just checking because her role has been to be Calvina's second, and her range just isn't up to snuff thanks to me putting Katia in the Bellezute. I'll probably swap her to be someone else's backup when the routes merge again.

There's a unit that joins on the Moon half of the Garden of Baral/Moon split later on (you get it no matter which route you pick) that matches up pretty perfectly with Calvina's post movement ALL attack on her upgrade. Last run I put Yon in that and they went around oneshotting every twin that wasn't double Vorlents. Needs some EN upgrades/refill item to keep up with Calvina because that girl is outrageous. Nothing particularly Yon exclusive about it, but Yon is cool as heck so why not.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Leonisis Varga is the perfect partner for the Belzellute Brigandi. Flies, snipes and has a post-movement ALL. I put Ryoto in it to give Calvina extra turns. Carla, Sally or Russel would also make okay partners using their ability to synchronize stats with Calvina.

Yon's problems are bleh stats and a merely okay spirit set and there's not much you can do for her to fix that. If you pair her with Excellen then Yon can copy her stats, which helps her issues somewhat.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is the Leonisis Varga the most SEED looking Banpresto Original?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HitTheTargets posted:

Is the Leonisis Varga the most SEED looking Banpresto Original?

Honestly, I thought it looks more like one of Obari's later designs, like Dancougar Nova or Gravion.

Just paint it in flashier colors and give it a sword.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 15, 2016

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

The GIG posted:

So does G Gen come with all the DLC in first print pre-orders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Off topic, but paging Samurai Sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5s769KXF0

• Locked thread