Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ErIog posted:

Okay, is it also worth knowing any 802 numbers besides 802.2, 802.3, 802.11 and 802.1Q?

Make sure you know 802.1D and 802.1W as well. Along with 802.1Q, I'd say those three are the most important to know.

I think 30% of the test is spanning tree? Somewhere in that region. It's possible you'll get questions about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Know everything there is to know about 802. Make flash cards and memorize that poo poo. It will be super easy points for rote memorization, or it will be your total downfall to failure.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
.16 is wimax.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
When you think of 802.1q just think of trunking.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Don't take the CCNA datacenter exam.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

NippleFloss posted:

Don't take the CCNA datacenter exam.

Keep quoting this, its a loving garbage exam. And yet I'm taking it again friday :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ErIog posted:

Okay, is it also worth knowing any 802 numbers besides 802.2, 802.3, 802.11 and 802.1Q?

802.1D, 802.1w, 802.1X, 802.3af, 802.3at.

Anyone who wants you to memorize which 802.3 amendments are each nBASE-y is nuts.

everyone posted:

CCNA DC is bad

Right, not gonna bother with that one unless my employer wants me to. Thanks folks.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Right, not gonna bother with that one unless my employer wants me to. Thanks folks.

If your employer actually uses Cisco Nexus gear and is willing to pay for a course + exam, (and maybe rewrite), go nuts. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend spending your own hard-earned dollars on CCNA-DC.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ashley Madison posted:

If your employer actually uses Cisco Nexus gear and is willing to pay for a course + exam, (and maybe rewrite), go nuts. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend spending your own hard-earned dollars on CCNA-DC.

What he said! I took it because our DC DOES use Nexus equipment. But really, there isnt THAT much difference that requires a separate cert. We dont use THAT much FCoE which even then, is handled by our Storage Team directly.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Yep!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We use a lot of UCS gear but not much in the way of Nexus.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
It wont hurt to get the book for 640-916 and go over it. There is no real config or much in the way of commands. Its a very high level over view as it is an "introduction" series. The 911 is a rehash of CCNA R&S with Nexus thrown in. It is really easy on those parts, cept the parts that are missing in the OCG content that I and Ashley have already commented about.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh god its 1,000 pages, send halp.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the OSCP. I'm getting back in the groove with Python and C to prep.

Class doesn't start for a week or so, does anyone have any additional recommendations for me to hit the ground running? I already have a networking background and took computer engineering undergrad with a lot of C and inline assembly.

Probably need to become more familiar with gdb and cross compiling with gcc, but I figure that will come with the lab work.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

MrBigglesworth posted:

It wont hurt to get the book for 640-916 and go over it. There is no real config or much in the way of commands. Its a very high level over view as it is an "introduction" series. The 911 is a rehash of CCNA R&S with Nexus thrown in. It is really easy on those parts, cept the parts that are missing in the OCG content that I and Ashley have already commented about.

Yeah like the items about COUGH COUGH ASRs that had nothing to do with the cert objectives.

I think we're all going to carry this bitter hate for 640-911 for a long long time. gently caress I'm taking my 2nd attempt tomorrow morning.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Langolas posted:

Yeah like the items about COUGH COUGH ASRs that had nothing to do with the cert objectives.

I think we're all going to carry this bitter hate for 640-911 for a long long time. gently caress I'm taking my 2nd attempt tomorrow morning.

Good on you for getting back at it so quickly. I failed in June, gathered all my additional materials the day after, and haven't re-written yet.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Ashley Madison posted:

Good on you for getting back at it so quickly. I failed in June, gathered all my additional materials the day after, and haven't re-written yet.

Yeah I've been studying 2+ hours nightly since the first fail. Over the weekends was 4+ hours. Want this done with and passed

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BelDin posted:

So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the OSCP. I'm getting back in the groove with Python and C to prep.

Class doesn't start for a week or so, does anyone have any additional recommendations for me to hit the ground running? I already have a networking background and took computer engineering undergrad with a lot of C and inline assembly.

Probably need to become more familiar with gdb and cross compiling with gcc, but I figure that will come with the lab work.

I'm in the midst of getting work to pay for this one too. Not sure what to advise, but please keep us updated :q:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So question about CCNP lab setups.

A lot of online stuff I see is a mix of routers like 2811s and swtiches from 2900 to 3500 series.

Wondering if since my spare parts lab has 6 3750's if that would just cover it all since the L3 switches can do routing too, just substitute its functions as there are no expansions for WIC/Serial stuff.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 16, 2016

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

gently caress you 640-911. First time I've opened up a ticket to contest an exam with Cisco. Talk to me via the phone, have a test writer quiz me. I know and understand the material and the poorly made/purposely made test is the only reason I'm failing. I really feel like this test was written to make money. Even CCIEs on some blogposts and forums agree the test is poor/blueprint awful

Got an 800 this time. Had 3 questions that none of the items are covered in the Official study guide for 640-911 or 916 or in Todd Lammles books (which I bought and read after the first failed attempt). And not on the blueprint. One of them is on the CCNA R+S but it was an obscure item I can't even go read about since my buddy "Borrowed" my CCENT book and never returned it.

A few of those topics/items weren't even mentioned in the Cisco CBTs for the certification on their website. I'm going to use a few other free resources at my disposal to watch some video series. Thank you cbtnuggets for always being there when I need you.

Going to write off my VIRL sub as education on my taxes and write off these exam fees come next year. Guess the good part of being in a high tax bracket is having the need to write things off!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Are the MCSA Server 2012 tests still unfair bullshit? Should I wait for Server 2016 in October? Doesn't seem to be any Nuggets stuff up about it yet is the only thing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Are the MCSA Server 2012 tests still unfair bullshit? Should I wait for Server 2016 in October? Doesn't seem to be any Nuggets stuff up about it yet is the only thing.

They definitely are. Hardest certification I've done, and least pride with it because it's largely just BS questions.

The 2016 stuff is TBD, as there's definitely going to be done changes but who knows it's still going to be bullshit

Not looking forward to the upgrade

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm taking Microsoft's 70-533 which has been mandated by my employer since I put my hand up for the "Let's get cloud-ready!" curriculum.

Said curriculum is "Get 70-533 and then 70-532, stat!" I'm exhausted. Fascinating stuff, but having to learn three different ways to do everything is seriously crowding my tiny little brain.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just passed the SY0-401. I feel like the Sybex book left me ill prepared for the actual exam. Now on to a real cert. gently caress off CompTIA, see you in three years.

I'll be moving on to the CCENT now. Any prep material suggestions?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
This guy has an excellent video series on CCENT/CCNA material, very easy to understand, he just talks slow so you need to adjust the video speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ShrikeCast?playlists

It is slightly outdated now because of the new updates in CCNA, but most of the material will still be relevant, (cept Frame Relay, so gently caress that noise).

I found the OCG books pretty good from Odom, some people like Lammle. There should be updates for the new stuff out by now.

CBT Nuggets is also a good video series, a bit more in depth than the guy above.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
CBT Nuggets alone isn't enough, you really should be combining it with a book imo. It might be enough to pass but it certainly doesn't cover everything that will be on the test.

I just checked and they just released the new video series for 100-105, but they haven't done 200-105 yet.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If I've been doing Windows server administration for ~5 years what are the odds I could pass the MCSA 410, 411, and 412 exams without any studying? Planning on classes for MCSE for sure, curious if I can get by MCSA without classes.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You can't pass any of the exams without studying because they want you to do things the Microsoft way which often times is really inefficient and stupid but they don't care.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
So even I've done everything there is to do listed on the exams in a variety of environments tens or hundreds of times I'm still gonna have to study? Thanks Bill!!! (I kind of expected that to be the case)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone here ever used MeasureUp for practice? Were they useful in helping you take the exams?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

vyst posted:

You can't pass any of the exams without studying because they want you to do things the Microsoft way which often times is really inefficient and stupid but they don't care.

Echoing this sentiment. I've been managing Enterprise Windows environments for more than a decade and I can't pass those tests without studying. Real World experience helps, but won't get you past the tests on its own.

The biggest issues are, like vyst said, knowing the "Microsoft Way" to answer the question even though that's not the real world answer.

They also love to delve deep into new features that people either aren't using or might not be familiar with. You really have to know the ins and outs of it.

Test taking skills are also a major factor of the Microsoft exams now with the scenario based testlets. They bombard you with information and you have to be able to evaluate the scenario and choose the most correct answer to the question. There can be a single sentence in multiple paragraphs that changes the answer from what you think it is, to what they're looking for. I've read several almost trick questions on the exams before where there's one line like "a one way external trust exists between adatum and wingtip" in the testlet background information that can affect the answer of a question.

Fudge posted:

So even I've done everything there is to do listed on the exams in a variety of environments tens or hundreds of times I'm still gonna have to study? Thanks Bill!!! (I kind of expected that to be the case)

You know Bill hasn't had much to do with Microsoft in almost a decade right?

Look at the 70-412 blueprint. You're telling me you've done some of that stuff tens or hundreds of times? I've never talked to anyone that has actually used Microsofts IPAM solution, and it's somewhat new so I know they're going to have at least 2 or 3 questions on it. AD RMS, the entire business continuity, and DR section I would say most Microsoft Admins are not familiar enough from day to day job duties they could pass those sections of the test without study. There are going to be questions about all that stuff on the test. Hyper-V is a huge push right now as well, most folks use VMware at work. I've found just using some of these things don't give you a deep enough background on them either. Setting up some of this stuff from scratch (ADRMS, ADFS, ADCS) is the best way to get a good grasp on the material.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm a student considering picking up the Security+ certification. What is a reasonable timetable to work through the study book? Days? Weeks? Months?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm a student considering picking up the Security+ certification. What is a reasonable timetable to work through the study book? Days? Weeks? Months?

If you have a background in networking, you can bang it out in under a month.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

If you have a background in networking, you can bang it out in under a month.

Seconding this.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Moey posted:

Seconding this.

:agreed:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

skipdogg posted:

You know Bill hasn't had much to do with Microsoft in almost a decade right?

Look at the 70-412 blueprint. You're telling me you've done some of that stuff tens or hundreds of times? I've never talked to anyone that has actually used Microsofts IPAM solution, and it's somewhat new so I know they're going to have at least 2 or 3 questions on it. AD RMS, the entire business continuity, and DR section I would say most Microsoft Admins are not familiar enough from day to day job duties they could pass those sections of the test without study. There are going to be questions about all that stuff on the test. Hyper-V is a huge push right now as well, most folks use VMware at work. I've found just using some of these things don't give you a deep enough background on them either. Setting up some of this stuff from scratch (ADRMS, ADFS, ADCS) is the best way to get a good grasp on the material.

The bill thing was a joke. And 70-412 is about where I'd figured I'd need a class (depending on the feedback I got). Everything from 411 and 410 yes I've done many many times, and I'm pretty familiar with Hyper-V. But I'd rather not waste any money and get it right the first time :)

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

I just did it in two weeks. It's hard but not a ton of content.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TEH Zombie Penguin posted:

I just did it in two weeks. It's hard but not a ton of content.

Yup. It's really mostly just full of trivia; so it's fairly easy to cram for. Really not a difficult test in the spectrum of certifications.
Good in with a lot of jobs too; at least on the DoD side.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Passed the LX0-103 (Linux+ part one) today and holy hell, it was still the hardest test I've taken even on the second attempt. Mile wide content, half mile deep knowledge, only 60 questions so you can't rely on your stronger areas.

Had to close my eyes and sit for a few minutes mid test because I started panicking that I was going to fail it a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

Oh god its 1,000 pages, send halp.

To be fair, it covers three full and one upgrade exams.