Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Final Fantasy VIII is funnier than Earthbound.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I can't imagine the marketing on it did anything to help it when the ad taglines literally said "This game stinks!" either.

People like to point out how hard of a sell Earthbound was even to the tiny RPG enthusiast crowd in the mid 1990s, but I think Nintendo would've done well to build up the oh-so-wacky elements (Fight hippies and pogo-stick mutants! Use baseball bats and psychic powers! Invade a cult! Recruit a guy named Poo!) to the same kids that ate up Animaniacs and The Tick. Nintendo Power's coverage tried this, but it was too subdued and didn't carry over to the ad campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One of these days I want to translate a big scene in the Japanese FF8 and see if it was a localization issue or if the game is just a mess of disparate ideas. I'm leaning to the latter because a good script can't save a shaky plot.

I loved the setting and nobody else really attempted it until 15 years later Trails of Cold Steel was the "child soldiers in military school" RPG I always wanted.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

One of these days I want to translate a big scene in the Japanese FF8 and see if it was a localization issue or if the game is just a mess of disparate ideas. I'm leaning to the latter because a good script can't save a shaky plot.

It feels like one of those "just dump everything into the pot and that way there's something for everyone!" stories. No focus, contradictory themes and elements, and a sense that the writer doesn't even understand what they they're trying to say.

al-azad posted:

I loved the setting and nobody else really attempted it until 15 years later Trails of Cold Steel was the "child soldiers in military school" RPG I always wanted.

Are you sure they're soldiers in a military school? I mean everyone says they are but nobody actually acts like it.

I will say it reminds me of the Metal Gear series with its simultaneous fetishizing of the military and lack of understanding of what the military actually entails.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Are you sure they're soldiers in a military school? I mean everyone says they are but nobody actually acts like it.

I will say it reminds me of the Metal Gear series with its simultaneous fetishizing of the military and lack of understanding of what the military actually entails.

Ah c'mon, the first disc is all about sending these teenagers on paramilitary missions ending with the assassination of a foreign diplomat but their gunman gets cold feet which is pretty far out for the kind of story they're writing.

And then they drop it completely. Disc 1 of that game is amazing and the rest is like somebody said "hey, if they're in the military they don't have much agency..." and scaled everything back so you can fly around in your airship grinding cactuars.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kid Fenris posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is funnier than Earthbound.

...whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There is one accurate military thing about FF8, people rush to get a cafeteria hot dog. 90% of my body is made of pink meatstuff, rats, and lizard tails.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
What's my best alternative to an official Twin Famicom power adapter?

I just won one in an auction but it doesn't come with power.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

beaver_cheese posted:

What's my best alternative to an official Twin Famicom power adapter?

I just won one in an auction but it doesn't come with power.

Per Famicomworld.com:

The Sharp Twin Famicom AC-Adapter is different. Its specifications are:
Input: 100VAC 50-60Hz
Output: 7.6VDC 1250mA (1.25A)
Polarity: Centre Pin Positive
(-)------------(o------------(+)
Barrel Size: Outer Diameter 5.5mm; Inner Diameter 2.5mm

Our own Heran Bago recommended the following in this thread:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00EL8BNA8

The North American equivalent might be the famed Velleman PSSMV1USA (look on Amazon):

http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350744
https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-PSSMV1USA-3-12Vdc-Switching-Supply/dp/B00068U44I/

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

On the subject of terrible RPG's, I got the stupid idea to actually finish Final Fantasy 8.

Goddamn, it is so badly written and nonsensical while trying to be serious and it's all so dragged out. I mean I should have expected that, but it's been seven or eight years since I played a Final Fantasy game.

I recently tried to get into 9 but couldn't just because it took so long to get anywhere that wasn't basically an interactive movie. I've got no time and no attention span anymore.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

I recently tried to get into 9 but couldn't just because it took so long to get anywhere that wasn't basically an interactive movie. I've got no time and no attention span anymore.

This is me 1000%. I heard Dragon Quest V is supposed to be amazing. I fired it up on the DS and I lasted maybe an hour. Something about my adult brain does not let me play these games any more and I don't know why.

I did play and beat Mother 3 though. But it took like 6 months and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the plot or what the ending was about.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is me 1000%. I heard Dragon Quest V is supposed to be amazing. I fired it up on the DS and I lasted maybe an hour. Something about my adult brain does not let me play these games any more and I don't know why.

I did play and beat Mother 3 though. But it took like 6 months and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the plot or what the ending was about.

I've been playing Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits lately and I am trying to crack that 1000m mark in Mission Mode. Also Dristone Mode is cool and I am glad I imported a Euro cart.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you dig that, import Mr Driller: Drill Land for the GC. It's got Dristone mode and plenty of other fantastic variants.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you dig that, import Mr Driller: Drill Land for the GC. It's got Dristone mode and plenty of other fantastic variants.

Be careful with this game and memory cards though. I know GC cards are supposed to be one-per-region but even using our "Japanese" card it would wipe the thing for some reason.

Totally fire it up in dolphin though, it owns.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Allen Wren posted:

I've never really liked FF9. I've tried to play it a couple of times and always give up. It's just so slow and meandering. Nothing really happens.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FF9 is really chill, I play it for the art and music mostly. It's one of the better 3D FFs imo. My favorite 3D FF is 7 which is a game that gets a surprising amount of hate now but for whatever reason I've never stopped liking it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Like, I don't dislike 9. I don't think what I've played of it is bad, I just feel like the format is one that I have a hard time engaging with. I'd probably say the same about 7 these days, also my favorite 3D FF, but I haven't played it since it came out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love the aesthetic, art, music and the story of FF9, after the horrible 8. I would chalk it up one of my favourites in the series, even. But the slow as hell combat system annoys the poo poo out of me. Was it any better on the NTSC versions? I should probably try the US version on my modded PS1 to see for myself. At least the already crippled PAL version was horrible in that regard. Good luck planning your fights when the characters take forever to pull the attacks off.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well, the NTSC version does run 17% or so faster, so it's merely really slow instead of unbearably slow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I think a big chunk of that for me is that I just want to play a game and many of these games seem way more interested in being movies than games. And since they're generally terrible, unengaging movies that are painfully slow, it's difficult to push through them to get to the game.

Though in fairness, I think the DQ series is generally better than most JRPG's about letting you just get to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's crazy people are talking down the pacing of FF9 when it was intentionally designed to be old school and gets to the point almost immediately. If anything it's too fast, the game even acknowledges its brevity by giving you a special item if you reach the end in less than 12 hours. Not something you'd do the first try but it's not actually difficult and the systems reward FF6 levels of stat breaking.

The opening with the alternating point of view is like magical heist Oceans Eleven and one of the best openings in a video game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm talking down the pacing of any video game that isn't "press start to begin", really

Like, I waited a solid week to start fallout 4 because I knew I had to strap in for the long goddamn haul before I could do poo poo.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kthulhu5000 posted:

No problem, glad my cheap-rear end curiosity might be of use to you!

On that note:

Super Mario Bros. on my RGBNES-modded AV Famicom through S-Video, into the $5 "Easycap" I bought.

EDIT: It also works with the S-Video mod that Monitor Burn did on my Genesis, which I expected, but it was good to confirm it.

nice. So are you splitting the signal to a tv, or just playing off of the computer?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've never played a final fantasy game.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

RZA Encryption posted:

There's never been a better time to start!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't even own a television!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
99.99% of turn-based RPGs are bad, including every Final Fantasy that uses the formula.

The good turn-based RPGs that exist
>The Mario RPGs
>Chrono Trigger
>Earthbound*
>Mother 3
>Undertale I guess maybe but it's a stretch to count it
>Pokemon, arguably

*Combat is actually really mediocre, verging on bad, and the presentation is what just barely saves it, incl. auto-victory.

The entire genre is founded on gameplay mechanics that are user-hostile and the only way to make a good one is to break as many of those cliches as possible or massively underemphasize them in favor of more engaging mechanics - such as action commands, visual novel progress, raising virtual pets, or watching paint dry.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RZA Encryption posted:

The best one is Die Hard

[I've been watching too much GDQ again]

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think a big chunk of that for me is that I just want to play a game and many of these games seem way more interested in being movies than games. And since they're generally terrible, unengaging movies that are painfully slow, it's difficult to push through them to get to the game.

Though in fairness, I think the DQ series is generally better than most JRPG's about letting you just get to it.

Allen Wren posted:

I'm talking down the pacing of any video game that isn't "press start to begin", really

Like, I waited a solid week to start fallout 4 because I knew I had to strap in for the long goddamn haul before I could do poo poo.

Both of these are me, but for some reason I make an exception for Final Fantasy (up to 9) and other Square stuff like CT/CC or Xenogears. Why that is I really don't know but there is something present in Square games from around the start of the SNES era to the end of the PSX era that makes it possible for me to enjoy turn based RPG gameplay and a focus on story/cutscenes that would have me shutting games by other devs off in the first hour. After I finish a Square game I kind of convince myself that I'm suddenly able to enjoy RPGs and so I put in some other highly acclaimed one like a Persona game or whatever and play for a few hours before turning it off and then completely forgetting about it. This doesn't affect action JRPGs like Quintet games or Popful Mail or whatever which I can happily play all day

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

DoctorWhat posted:

99.99% of turn-based RPGs are bad, including every Final Fantasy that uses the formula.

>The Mario RPGs
>Chrono Trigger
>Earthbound*
>Mother 3
>Pokemon, arguably

*Combat is actually really mediocre, verging on bad, and the presentation is what just barely saves it, incl. auto-victory.

The entire genre is founded on gameplay mechanics that are user-hostile and the only way to make a good one is to break as many of those cliches as possible or massively underemphasize them in favor of more engaging mechanics - such as action commands, visual novel progress, raising virtual pets, or watching paint dry.

Turn based RPGs are the best RPGs. It's where Ultima 5, Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4, and the first 2 Fallouts hail from. Also AdnD Gold Box, Wizardry, FF Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, and many many more.

Real Time RPGs are BAD TIME RPGS with very few exceptions. (Legend of Grimrock being the only real notable one. Maybe PSO.)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

>The Mario RPGs
>Chrono Trigger
>Earthbound*
>Mother 3
>Pokemon, arguably

This sums up how I feel, but the only ones I've enjoyed were pokemon. I just get so bored with them. My favorite RPG is Final Lap Twin.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

My favorite RPG is Final Lap Twin.

Haha this is an exception for me too, it's actually the first "RPG" I ever played

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RPGs are the best and the game industry has widely recognized this by injecting mechanics native to the genre into other games.

RPGs saved Castlevania. They produced the only good 3D Mega Man. And the Mario RPGs are basically responsible for the iconic personalities of all those characters. Mario is a brave goof, Luigi a second banana, Bowser is a sad sack, Peach is kind of over it, Toad would burn down the world if he could.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

JRPG's used to be extremely my jam but I find I just don't have the patience for them anymore.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

Both of these are me, but for some reason I make an exception for Final Fantasy (up to 9) and other Square stuff like CT/CC or Xenogears. Why that is I really don't know but there is something present in Square games from around the start of the SNES era to the end of the PSX era that makes it possible for me to enjoy turn based RPG gameplay and a focus on story/cutscenes that would have me shutting games by other devs off in the first hour.

It's because they were paced better.

FFVII in the span of 20-30 minutes sets up an exciting infiltration and escape sequence while slightly peppering in commentary on a greater plot and motivations on most of the characters present and by the time stuff actually slows down after the explosion there's a ton of things to be interested about.

Xenogears opens with you in a mech while the town is on fire and segues into you living in that town so you're suddenly interested in how poo poo is going to play out.

Chrono Trigger throws you into the past with time travel shenanigans in 10 minutes.

Most of the ones from that time period aren't actually as long as people tend to remember either, like the first really long RPG I remember playing was Tales of Symphonia.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The secret to enjoying RPGs again is to play them in bed. I don't have the patience to play a big long game on the big TV anymore and yet I'll lay on the couch for literally 12 hours playing one.

I don't know the psychology behind it but maybe it explains how throwaway phone apps work. I can't sit down to play a video game for 60 minutes straight anymore but I will play one for 10 minutes, cook dinner, 30 minutes, take a dump, 60 minutes, bathe, 30 minutes, lay in bed, 30 minutes, sleep.

e: Pretty excited for Dragon Quest 7 tomorrow, the game I had zero time for on Playstation.

Also really excited for the NX if it means every game can be played remotely.

e2: On average people spend 90 minutes in the bathroom a week. With a portable in hand you're beating an average RPG every 4-6 months. That's value, people!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 15, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I never heard of Final Lap Twin until this exact moment and now I've never wanted anything more in my life.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

e: Pretty excited for Dragon Quest 7 tomorrow, the game I had zero time for on Playstation.

That's a blessing in disguise, because original DQ7 flies right in the face of my pacing argument, clocking in about an hour and half before you get into the first drat fight.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I never heard of Final Lap Twin until this exact moment and now I've never wanted anything more in my life.

Check out ChoroQ on PS2 while you're at it. It's a Car-PG wakka wakka

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

I actually have that and never got anywhere in it because reasons. I don't remember what they were. I may have to give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

Don't forget Road Trip, where you win races to become car president of the world.

• Locked thread