Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

The only thing better than shenanigans are cosmic shenanigans. Steal the roof tiles of your neighbor, and you're just a dick. Steal the roof tiles of the Golden Palace of the Gods and you're a legend.

Meng Hao the Shingler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I Shall Swindle The Heavens

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Meng Hao is going to run into some ancient immortal Dao spirit of greed and it's going to be all, "Dude, too far."

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jon joe posted:

Meng Hao is going to run into some ancient immortal Dao spirit of greed and it's going to be all, "Dude, too far."
'

Meng Hao will go "Too much greed clouds ones Dao Heart, Fellow Daoist should learn to share" as he roots through his stash.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

brainwrinkle posted:

I Shall Swindle The Heavens

How did you not go with I Shall Steal The Heavens

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just wanna say, good call to whoever told me to stick it out with Experimental Log of Crazy Lich. It's starting to get real good, especially now that Roland has told Eliza about her past. That was a surprisingly touching scene for an action/comedy novel.

Edit: I thought Northern Nobleman and Raptor Wife might decline in quality once the will-they-won't-they of Ritz and Sieg concluded, but the second volume is even more entertaining than the first. The sheer incompetence of Ritz' parents is utterly incredible.

quote:

“Father, will you be alright being the lord?”
“It’s alright, alright~ probably.”
“……”

Seeing father all smiles, I could understand painfully well why grandfather gave up on the education for being a lord on his son-in-law.

As I grabbed my brows, mother tugged at my sleeves.

“Ritchan, don’t worry. If anything goes wrong, we’ll apologise~”
“……Right.”

I felt worried.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 11, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ew, gross. http://www.novelupdates.com/series/chuuko-demo-koi-ga-shitai/

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The lone comment on that series is loving gold. Honestly, at this point I think we need to just loving invest in an operation to airdrop thousands of relationship counselors and sex ed teachers across Japan. A few more years of this poo poo, and they'll be too far gone to save.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The next time someone goes "You truly don't know how high the heavens are" Meng Hao can just go "Actually..."

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Raptor Wife is good

quote:

Sieglinde-san, thank you very much. These are really good thighs.
:3:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meng Hao just got melted down to his eyeballs

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

in which meng hao creates a spirit bomb :allears:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

in which meng hao creates a spirit bomb :allears:

People of the world, give me your energy (and your loot)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Annointed posted:

People of the world, I'll be taking your energy (and your loot)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm in Volume 7 of Utsuro no Hako now and this series has just been a massive downer since roughly the 4th volume or so. I mean, it wasn't exactly hope-inspiring before that, but afterwards it just never lets up with the despair and futility of everything. I'm literally in a bad mood right now because of reading this LN.

By the way (volume 5 or 6 spoilers)I think Daiya's motivation is so stupid it almost crosses over into being funny. Like, I can understand being angry at the existence of lovely thoughtless people, but it's bizarre that he's supposedly so driven to fix this issue that he is willing to sacrifice the quality of life (and nearly life itself) of the girl who made him feel this way in the first place, as well as kill/injure a bunch of innocent people, but never actually takes any recourse against the girls who actually hurt Kokone. You'd think that they would be top priority given his motivations.

I do think that the plot twist with Kazu and how hosed up he is as a result is pretty interesting. No idea how he will escape this redux of the Repeating Classroom. I feel bad for him given how Maria now (at least before losing her memories) thinks he's some demon, despite him only being that way because of her wish.

Hahahahaa jesus gently caress volume 7. This quote is pretty representative:
"There is a mountain of corpses in the school yard, consisting of the people I've killed. My beloved ones are also among the people that I see due to that hallucination, but I can't remember their names. I can't view humans as humans anymore. I can't tell the masses of flesh apart. I'm poo poo. I'm a steaming pile of poo poo."

edit: hahahahaaha this is becoming some sort of bizarre comedy
"The invisible monster invades my body with a sharp pain that feels like having my eyes pierced by a shard of glass. A sense of shame wells up. I traverse the universe. I travel among the stars. A peculiar red noise disturbs my brain waves. There is no sound. There has been no sound for ages. A sea of toxic insects. The circulating poison makes me rave. Paralyzed, I suddenly find myself amidst countless TV monitors. The monitors form a gapless maze and show me killing people. Stop it! I don't want to see that! Don't showcase my sins in such an passionless way! My cries are ignored. I'm shown more near-endless sins. I am crushed under the weight of my sin. The contents of my mind burst out of my body and are destroyed. My flesh bursts. It bursts like caramel popcorn."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 14, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao finds an unexpected gift from his other Dad, then sneaks fresh-cut onions into the reader's room.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like the implication that Meng Hao's dad was a little hell-raiser until he fell in love with his wife(who probably conned/kicked his rear end beforehand)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm in Volume 7 of Utsuro no Hako now and this series has just been a massive downer since roughly the 4th volume or so. I mean, it wasn't exactly hope-inspiring before that, but afterwards it just never lets up with the despair and futility of everything. I'm literally in a bad mood right now because of reading this LN.

This is pretty much the exact same reaction I had. Like, if you look back at my posts, it was tons of praise all the way through Vol. 4, then a slide into utter depression by the end. I was in a funk for two days after the ending, it simultaneously pissed me off and made me sadbrains. :smith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

This is pretty much the exact same reaction I had. Like, if you look back at my posts, it was tons of praise all the way through Vol. 4, then a slide into utter depression by the end. I was in a funk for two days after the ending, it simultaneously pissed me off and made me sadbrains. :smith:

I thought the ending was fairly happy all things considered, though it seems pretty unrealistic for Hoshino to ever fully recover.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 14, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ytlaya posted:

I thought the ending was fairly happy all things considered, though it seems pretty unrealistic for Hoshino to ever fully recover all things considered.

Captain Bravo posted:

Kazuki never wanted this poo poo. His feelings for Maria may have grown organically, but the all-encompassing fascination is brought on by her unconsciously designating him as her "savior". And his reward is to be thrown into a literal hell for basically an eternity, until his mind is scraped away into nothingness. And then he gets to rebuild his life from being a vegetable into one that revolves around Maria. You can't even make the excuse that it's O's fault and not hers, because she loving created O from the trauma of losing her sister. She is the single cause of every bad thing that happens in the story, and in the end she gets the guy after breaking his soul and mind. It's loving terrifying

I mean, I get that the entire point of the story is "sometimes people do bad things, but that doesn't mean they're bad people." and yeah, that message is pretty true, otherwise you wouldn't be able to sympathize at all with Mogi. But my god, that ending is still massively hosed up and soul-crushing. Like, if you strip out all the supernatural bullshit, and write a story where a teenager falls for a girl, she locks him in the basement for a year until his mind breaks, then realizes that she actually loves him so she lets him out and declares her undying love for him and slowly rehabilitates him... that's not a happy ending. That's not a happy story. That's some Stephen King poo poo, yo.

His "happy ending" is a forced co-dependency with the person responsible for ruining his life, and that of his friends. That's like saying "If the main character hadn't been so picky, Misery could have had a happy ending."

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 14, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

His "happy ending" is a forced co-dependency with the person responsible for ruining his life, and that of his friends. That's like saying "If the main character hadn't been so picky, Misery could have had a happy ending."

Yeah, it's definitely not a happy ending, but at least it had a hopeful edge to it.

Honestly the whole series is Maria's fault. Her idea of helping people was really weird; storing people in a pocket universe is not a good way to improve their lives unless they're in really dire straights (which was not the case for some of the characters, like the guy who murdered his stepparents; prison sucks but it's better than some creepy pocket universe pseudo-death). The only excuse I can think of for using Flawed Bliss is if someone is about to die, and even then it's kinda a tough call. I also like how Flawed Bliss not only does not give actual bliss, but can result in the greatest hell imaginable. Her motive was also weird; having your parents not love you definitely sucks, but it shouldn't lead to the person becoming as hosed in the head as her.

The best end would have been if Kazuki suddenly lost all interest in Maria after smashing her box. To just have him smash it and then go "who the gently caress you are you?" to Maria, since his attachment to her stems from her wish.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Sandman posted:

Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao finds an unexpected gift from his other Dad, then sneaks fresh-cut onions into the reader's room.

I hope this arc is quick, Algid gave us the gist of it already (now now that post makes sense) and I just want him to finish ripping off the Fang clan. There is no way he doesn't make the 6th patriarch/his descendants pay big time after all of this. Seems like Meng Hao will find the Dao of the first patriach, assimilate his Dao fruits, and open all 100 meridians then lay the smack down on everyone. I'm now most excited for (in the relatively short term) more wacky Patriarch Reliance shenanigans.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for Meng Hao to have 12/13/20/40/50/99/100/101/0 (pick one) lamps in a display of ultimate ancient realm power.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lyon posted:

I hope this arc is quick, Algid gave us the gist of it already (now now that post makes sense) and I just want him to finish ripping off the Fang clan. There is no way he doesn't make the 6th patriarch/his descendants pay big time after all of this. Seems like Meng Hao will find the Dao of the first patriach, assimilate his Dao fruits, and open all 100 meridians then lay the smack down on everyone. I'm now most excited for (in the relatively short term) more wacky Patriarch Reliance shenanigans.

Meng Hao has karma magic, and all those treasures and techniques are just waiting for 'thier destined owner', so Im really hoping Meng Hao completely loots the entire holy land.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unlike the last treasure trove he found, there is no one here to be a buzzkill. but then, he has still only used two out of what, six things he got there?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Meng Hao has the best dads :swoon:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Meng Hao to cultivate the Dao of Dad. The Daod.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, meng hao doesn't need to do anything but defend himself to ruin wei's family.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I understand the restrictions he was working with, but you really think Feng Xiushan would have put in the research to realize that spending a bunch of money to get Meng Hao into Magical Treasure Land and hoping that he would die there is a terrible, terrible idea.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Lord of Hats posted:

I understand the restrictions he was working with, but you really think Feng Xiushan would have put in the research to realize that spending a bunch of money to get Meng Hao into Magical Treasure Land and hoping that he would die there is a terrible, terrible idea.

The only way to trap Meng Hao is to give him more treasure than he can carry.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Avulsion posted:

The only way to trap Meng Hao is to give him more treasure than he can carry.

Trying that would just mean that Meng Hao gains enlightenment of a new Divine Ability called like, Titan Bears the World, and using it to carry off more loot.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Trying that would just mean that Meng Hao gains enlightenment of a new Divine Ability called like, Titan Bears the World, and using it to carry off more loot.

Not Dao of the Katamari, you disappoint me Lord of Hats.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man, that fancy bag of holding he got way back in the state of zhao sure is going the distance.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

man, that fancy bag of holding he got way back in the state of zhao sure is going the distance.

It's going for speed.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

jon joe posted:

I can't wait for Meng Hao to have 12/13/20/40/50/99/100/101/0 (pick one) lamps in a display of ultimate ancient realm power.
I don't think its ever any of these actually (there's one form/lamp-configuration I can't quite recall).

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Could you please spoiler tag and mark ISSTH content that has not been translated yet? Even vague stuff. I want to enjoy the story without hints and read this thread to talk about it with other translation readers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who cares? it is a given that he is gonna have a super fancy special snowflake state because that has been true for meng hao at every stage of cultivation.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I care, Serious Frolicking. Speculation posting is fun, but the fun is ruined when someone says "actually this happens/does not happen."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm kind of starting to be torn about Everyone Else is a Returnee. Rita is still my favorite angel, she's so sweet and spent 1000 loving years with Yu Ilhan so they have some history. But I am really down with the chemistry between him and Erta.

quote:

[Random records of the Akashic Record and the flow of mana in the Traps of Destruction mesh with each other to create new monsters.]

“I said make it easier to understand.”

[An awesomely strong boss monster swallows the Trap of Destruction and appears.]

“Good, much more straightforward.”

[……I keep having the impression that you’re trying to tame me.]

“It’s your imagination.”

I really hope they bring Rita back soon, before she loses the title of Main Heroine for good!

Edit: I love this novel. The angels gift Yu a Bag of Holding that doesn't have any weight reduction applied to it. His first thought is to fill it with several tons of material, and swing it around as a mace. :v:

Double edit: :ohdear:

quote:

Author’s notes
I will emphasize this since it’s important. It’s not harem! (T/N: I don’t believe you, your previous two works were both harem.)(E/N: pls no harem)

Translator’s notes

Ignore 6, author retracts it later, saying he won’t say anything. Apparently, there is an ‘ending’ he is planning, but who knows… Also, I only found about the haganai reference through the comments…

Editor’s notes

*sobs in a corner* why is it harem T.T

Author y. plz no.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Lord of Hats posted:

• Locked thread