Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Ironically, Saints Row 2 is only broken on Windows 7. It works flawlessly on Windows XP and 10, and I'm pretty sure Windows Vista and 8 as well.

It was a terrible port, but considering nobody is using Windows 7 anymore, it's now a fine port? Games are loving weird.

I don't get this post. Is entire thing sarcasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You know, I haven't seen much (or any) talk about obvious game of the year candidate Calm Down, Stalin.

It's a pretty simple game. What you have to do is hold your finger close to the BIG RED BUTTON to scare your enemies back from the brink of attack. This stresses Stalin out, so you have a couple puffs on your pipe to relax. Then then phone rings and you have to answer that, so you do, and you listen to the guy on the other end to keep your state stability strong. Then you hang up your phone and have a puff off your pipe to calm you down but the lamp starts flickering and that stresses Stalin out so you have to punch it a couple times to get it working right. Oh yeah, the button, need to keep Stalin's finger close to that to ward off nuclear armageddon. Except the phone is ringing and I have to answer that and now there are these papers that need stamped and the light is flickering again, okay Stalin, just have a couple puffs off your pipe to calm down because your hands are shaking like mad except THAT loving LAMP IS FLICKERING AGAAIN AND

everything explodes.

It's four bucks ($3.50ish right now on sale) and actually pretty fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's he gonna do with that gun :stare:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Shoot people for sport.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ubisoft only published it. Onimusha 3, RE4 and DMC3SE were ported by SourceNext, who also did an actual GBA resolution port of Phoenix Wright 1 for PC, if you ever doubted their 'expertise'.

What.

There is a PC port of phoenix wright? Need to see that, that sounds hilarious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh, Stalin having a bigass picture of Lenin on his wall, right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Luisfe posted:

What.

There is a PC port of phoenix wright? Need to see that, that sounds hilarious.

Japan only, IIRC.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Japan only, IIRC.

I think the fastest way to bottom out your ROI is to port a game to PC for Japanese players only.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ZbXK1xY_4&t=16s

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SynthOrange posted:

Right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's the ultimate calm :stonk:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

You know, I haven't seen much (or any) talk about obvious game of the year candidate Calm Down, Stalin.

It's a pretty simple game. What you have to do is hold your finger close to the BIG RED BUTTON to scare your enemies back from the brink of attack. This stresses Stalin out, so you have a couple puffs on your pipe to relax. Then then phone rings and you have to answer that, so you do, and you listen to the guy on the other end to keep your state stability strong. Then you hang up your phone and have a puff off your pipe to calm you down but the lamp starts flickering and that stresses Stalin out so you have to punch it a couple times to get it working right. Oh yeah, the button, need to keep Stalin's finger close to that to ward off nuclear armageddon. Except the phone is ringing and I have to answer that and now there are these papers that need stamped and the light is flickering again, okay Stalin, just have a couple puffs off your pipe to calm down because your hands are shaking like mad except THAT loving LAMP IS FLICKERING AGAAIN AND

everything explodes.

It's four bucks ($3.50ish right now on sale) and actually pretty fun.
Not buying that until the Hitler DLC including the genocide mechanic which for whatever reason didn't make it into the base game comes out.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 15, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Ken Levine just did an interview about Bioshock, and since people were talking about it a few pages back, he actually addressed the criticism about Daisy Fitzroy:

quote:

I know there are people – and in some ways, you addressed this in Burial at Sea – who are bothered by what happens to Daisy Fitzroy, the African-American Vox Populi leader, in BioShock Infinite. They basically think, if I can use a 2016 metaphor, that you created a game in which Donald Trump founded a xenophobic colony in the sky, only to learn that the Mexicans really are rapists.

Here's what I'd say. BioShock 1 is about Jews. I'm a Jew. If you think about it, Andrew Ryan, Sander Cohen, Tenenbaum, they're all Jews. Suchong is Korean. During World War II, Korea was brutally occupied by Japan. He's a guy who survived.

They're all survivors of oppression. And they don't come out of it heroes. Oppression turns them into oppressors. And that's the cruelest aspect of oppression. If you look at Andrew Ryan and Daisy Fitzroy, they're not that far apart.

Maybe people wanted me to write about a hero who rose above that. Elizabeth is the character I invented who does sacrifice herself to break the cycle. But I think most people are destroyed by oppression. I could tell a fairy tale about people who are ennobled by it. But in my experience, as a student of history, that's rare.

If you pretend there are a lot of happy endings for those stories, in some ways it elevates the oppression to something it's not.

Full interview here if anyone's interested:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/we-were-all-miserable-inside-bioshock-video-game-franchise-w439921

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Levine's ideas are way over-shadowed by his inability to actually handle them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol he's a dumbfuck.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SynthOrange posted:

All the later Spiderweb games are 'Are we the baddies?'
I think you (or possibly someone else) make the exact same post, down to the letter, every time these games are brought up.

The Avernum games are about an adventuring party exploring a vast underworld and eliminating some threats. There's a bit of a subtle theme re: "actions have consequences", but, no, not what you said.

The Avadon games are about the secret police that holds the empire together. So yes, they absolutely are "the baddies", and the question is whether holding the alliance together is worth it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Croccers posted:

The Crew is pretty much Test Drive Unlimited 3 so yes, also there's this stupid plot too and it's so dumb :allears:

Seriously considering the expansion because I can spend a stupid amount of time in 'drive around and do things' games. For some miraculous reason, the season pass (which gives 12 cars normally priced at $2 or more a piece) is only :10bux: on Amazon, and I just might get it. :ohdear:

Waiting on feedback from a friend who already bought the Wild Run expansion to see if it's worth it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Chivalry's on Chrono.gg for $2.50. I already own it, but it got me thinking about how much I liked that game 4(!) years back when it came out.

I've heard there were some changes made and that the community kind of sucks now; anyone placed it recently?

I still play all the time. It's amazingly fun, but be warned that the average level even on public servers is about 45 now.

SynthOrange posted:

A dead man's not a threat. Are you confusing him with Trotski or something?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 15, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

Ken Levine just did an interview about Bioshock, and since people were talking about it a few pages back, he actually addressed the criticism about Daisy Fitzroy:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/we-were-all-miserable-inside-bioshock-video-game-franchise-w439921
ummm so he's reverse-backpedaling back to his original already stupid position?? what the gently caress

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I think you (or possibly someone else) make the exact same post, down to the letter, every time these games are brought up.

The Avernum games are about an adventuring party exploring a vast underworld and eliminating some threats. There's a bit of a subtle theme re: "actions have consequences", but, no, not what you said.

The Avadon games are about the secret police that holds the empire together. So yes, they absolutely are "the baddies", and the question is whether holding the alliance together is worth it.

Is geneforge a "maybe we're the bad guys" thing?

What about nethergate?

Gerblyn posted:

lmao wow that's.. just stupid. I'm not really sure how to define why it is stupid, which to be honest probably makes me pretty stupid too, but drat if I don't look at that and say "wow that's dumb"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Spider-Man was made by Uncle Ben being shot. Ayn Rand was made by her family being destroyed by the Bolsheviks."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as far as hot takes go this past week has been En Fuego

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Gerblyn posted:

I'll never understand the praise this series gets for its story

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'll never understand the praise this series gets for its story

I enjoyed 1 just fine, it said what it needed to say, 2 was more fun to actually play, but holy poo poo, I just can't do infinite :negative:

I've tried and tried, but it feels clunky to play and and the plot feels overly complicated so far. I've read ahead and it looks like it delves into clusterfuck territory, and not in a good way.

Yet I know more than one person irl who have admitted to openly weeping at the ending.

:stare:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FirstAidKite posted:

Is geneforge a "maybe we're the bad guys" thing?

What about nethergate?

Geneforge is what you want it to be. In Nethergate you can play as one of the two sides of the conflict.

I've played a little bit of Everspace. It's fun and really drat pretty, though I still don't know what I'm doing.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lmao at all the twisted panties over Ken Levine.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Blattdorf posted:

I've played a little bit of Everspace. It's fun and really drat pretty, though I still don't know what I'm doing.

How hard is it/how different is each starting level? I understand Everspace is basically a roguelike of "Get to zone, get weapons/upgrades, move to next zone" but are first few levels varied enough?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lazorexplosion posted:

lmao at all the twisted panties over Ken Levine.
we're laughing actually

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So someone asked how Rive was, and I bought it.

I'm not sure how the game itself is going to play out over time, since it's clearly hinting at some Metroid-y "you will be back here later with new gear" or warp points, but so far, it's an interesting action/score-attack title divided into levels where it'll give you a choice pretty early on what you want to customize your backup weapon with (beyond an infinite-ammo minigun). The secondary is sort of like a bomb in a shooter: you get one of them until you get another pickup and it's bound to the RMB.

Where I got before I figured I was too tired to keep going was a garbage compactor, with a conveyor belt constantly moving me backwards if I landed (you have a double-jump), various crushers turning on as the arena went on, drones being "dumped" on top of me, and occasionally a laser-bot coming in from outside the crusher to try and sweep the room with a beam if I didn't kill it first. It definitely ramps itself up quick, and I suspect this is part of why the game's main menu only has "Hard Mode" as an unlocked mode to begin with.

But it's pretty cool. In conclusion:

The fact that I'm loving crashing and still 18th place worldwide means more of y'all need to buy and play this game, because that's incredibly sad for this studio's swan song

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

we're laughing actually
Well it does suck that a good chunk of people lost their jobs because Levine is a pretentious hack.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

BexGu posted:

How hard is it/how different is each starting level? I understand Everspace is basically a roguelike of "Get to zone, get weapons/upgrades, move to next zone" but are first few levels varied enough?

There is some variety. You can get attacked, there's some stuff to find/mine, you can start upgrading your ship. It is somewhat like FTL in terms of map progression. I assume things get more varied in future sectors, since I've only just gotten to Sector 2.

Fights can be really brutal at first, but they are not particularly hard. The enemies can and will ruin your day if you're not careful about your engagements. Of course, you can hide out in hollowed out asteroids and stuff.

You can also upgrade your ship during a run or buy perks between runs, so it's the kind of game that opens up more and more as you progress.

The devs know the game is a looker which is why you can Action Freeze the game at any moment and take screenshots.

The one thing I have against the game right now is that it is perhaps a bit too pretty which clashes somewhat with the interface. The UI needs a bit more work to be more readable.

It is definitely the kind of game that justifies getting a 4K display.

You absolutely must be pumping out 60 FPS for the game to be enjoyable. At lower framerates the game starts being... I dunno, choppy. It's very annoying and makes it harder to process what is going on. Fortunately, the game is not demanding and even with the settings turned down, it's still very pretty to look at in Full HD (I'm running on NVidia 760).

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 15, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is there any space game in development that will just offer a rich space dogfighting campaign like Freespace or the TIE fighter games?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen Squadron 42

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Edit: ^^^ :argh:

Palpek posted:

Is there any space game in development that will just offer a rich space dogfighting campaign like Freespace or the TIE fighter games?

Let me tell you about a game called Star Citizen, firstly...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yet I know more than one person irl who have admitted to openly weeping at the ending.

I was one of those people, I love that game. I think I'm just cursed to like games that goons hate, while disliking the ones they love. I liked Mass Effect 3, despite the ending, and enjoyed all the Dragon Age games too. On the other hand I didn't like Deus Ex because I found the premise to be boring and I thought it looked ugly, and I disliked the original Doom because it felt monotonous and shallow.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think goons hate Bioshock: Infinite, they just think the story is convoluted and borderline nonsensical if you're not maintaining a flowchart while playing.

Gerblyn posted:

On the other hand I didn't like Deus Ex because I found the premise to be boring and I thought it looked ugly, and I disliked the original Doom because it felt monotonous and shallow.

What the gently caress

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

House of the Dying Sun seems pretty decent though it's early days.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Anyone put time into the Skyrim mod Enderal?

• Locked thread