Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

You can go thinner than 1/2", I think that's just some sort of disclaimer in case the board blows up. Like if it's got a big knot in it, I'd not use it. Or yea, you could screw or clamp a piece of plywood or melamine on the bed. You have a resaw blade? Actually rough-sawn looking backing might be really cool if you can tune up your bandsaw a bit more.

Or it might not.

I'm using a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade, which does decently at resawing. It might be a little dull at this point though; it's probably time to order a replacement or two (and/or try my hand at sharpening the blade).

I'd rather not go rustic rough-cut on this project, because I want the practice at making a finely-fit, smooth piece. But the main issue with just directly using the resawn boards is that the blade deflects slightly, causing the board to not be of consistent thickness. It's less than a 1/8" variation (over a ~6"-wide board), but it's still more than I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, you can plane thinner stock on a sled. Probably wouldn't do a melamine one though, you don't want it to be slippery.

I would expect 1/4" to be fine for most reasonably clear woods, but let me tell you about the shrapnel produced by trying to plane curly maple veneer down to <1/16"...Well, long story short, I have a thickness sander now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hey, I'm hoping to find the least expensive way to get a long threaded rod. I want it to be thick enough to support a bookshelf.

This seems like a better idea...
http://www.homemade-modern.com/ep47-pipe-shelves/

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can I just put a melamine board into the planer to act as a raised bed? I dimly recall seeing someone use a very slightly curved passthrough bed with their planer to eliminate snipe...

Lots of people do this. I've also seen people hot glue thin wood to a backer of mdf or ply.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm using a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade, which does decently at resawing. It might be a little dull at this point though; it's probably time to order a replacement or two (and/or try my hand at sharpening the blade).

I'd rather not go rustic rough-cut on this project, because I want the practice at making a finely-fit, smooth piece. But the main issue with just directly using the resawn boards is that the blade deflects slightly, causing the board to not be of consistent thickness. It's less than a 1/8" variation (over a ~6"-wide board), but it's still more than I'd like.

A 1" resaw blade will make it happen imo. You'll have close to 3/8" resawn, which may ease your mind better about planing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd love to use a wider blade, but that's just not happening on my 14" Grizzly. Might be able to do 3/4" but that'd be the absolute maximum.

Anyway, I sharpened one of my old blades, dialed in the blade guides, and resawed a .75"x3" board of redwood in half, then measured it with calipers. Maximum of .04" variation in thickness, which is absolutely acceptable. I'll probably get worse results with wider boards made out of cherry (that being what the bookshelf will be made of), but it shouldn't be so bad that I can't thickness plane it to the desired dimensions. Thanks for the advice/assistance everyone!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

wormil posted:

This seems like a better idea...
http://www.homemade-modern.com/ep47-pipe-shelves/

Lots of people do this. I've also seen people hot glue thin wood to a backer of mdf or ply.

I guess the catch is that I can't drill holes in my wall. This would have to be free-standing (or leaning safely). This might almost double the number of pipes I'd have to use.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have this thing: http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/routers-planers-and-joiners/planers-and-joiners/13-three-knife-two-speed-thickness-planer/dw735

It seems like it has a really hard time feeding boards through, like it will go really slow, then stop, or jump ahead. Is that a symptom of dull blades or poor adjustment or what?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Could be dull blades. Could also be an overly aggressive cut depth or (maybe) an underpowered feed motor, I guess. What are you trying to cut -- what width of board, what material, how much are you removing at a time?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I guess the catch is that I can't drill holes in my wall. This would have to be free-standing (or leaning safely). This might almost double the number of pipes I'd have to use.

Threaded rod is good in tension, not bending or compression. If you made it freestanding from pipe it would also need cross-bracing. If you want to make it this way suck it up, else use another design.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Suspend it from the ceiling! :eng101:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cakefool posted:

Threaded rod is good in tension, not bending or compression. If you made it freestanding from pipe it would also need cross-bracing. If you want to make it this way suck it up, else use another design.

Thanks for being straightforward.

Back to the drawing board.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Javid posted:

I have this thing: http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/routers-planers-and-joiners/planers-and-joiners/13-three-knife-two-speed-thickness-planer/dw735

It seems like it has a really hard time feeding boards through, like it will go really slow, then stop, or jump ahead. Is that a symptom of dull blades or poor adjustment or what?

TooMuchAbstraction nailed it. I have this same planer and it could also be the beds are too sticky, wax them with some paste wax to make it easier to feed through.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
One thing to note on that design is pipe threads can be sharp as gently caress. I mean it's a cool idea and all, but exposed threads could be a problem.

Javid posted:

How much material are you trying to take off in one pass?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone made a child sized picnic table? My nephews birthday is coming up and I am thinking about making one for him. I am mainly wondering what dimensions work well for kids to grow in to for a couple years. He is only 2 but I figure he can deal with a slightly to large table now that he can grow in to.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yesterday's project, a shooting board, used today to square the ends of table legs.

This will be for a new kitchen countertop/table. I've been working with white oak and ash for the table frame; planing the poplar for the shooting board was like going through butter.

(Yes, my workbench is awful. Blame the house's previous owner. A new workbench is at the top of my list after this table is finished.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Could be dull blades. Could also be an overly aggressive cut depth or (maybe) an underpowered feed motor, I guess. What are you trying to cut -- what width of board, what material, how much are you removing at a time?

Fir, 5.5" (2x6), whatever the chart on the side says you can chew off at once at that width.

Waxing the thing had never occurred to me so I'll try that + having the blades done before anything else.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Javid posted:

Fir, 5.5" (2x6), whatever the chart on the side says you can chew off at once at that width.

Waxing the thing had never occurred to me so I'll try that + having the blades done before anything else.

I have that planer too with the same problem. You can try cleaning the roller wheels as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Parts Kit posted:

One thing to note on that design is pipe threads can be sharp as gently caress.

Haha, :wtf: Are you a baby boomer? Do you go around pointing out obvious minor hazards because you believe the world is going to fail without your input?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

wormil posted:

Haha, :wtf: Are you a baby boomer? Do you go around pointing out obvious minor hazards because you believe the world is going to fail without your input?

Did your parents spend your college fund after the subprime mortgage crisis/Enron collapse?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 15, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ColdPie posted:

(Yes, my workbench is awful. Blame the house's previous owner. A new workbench is at the top of my list after this table is finished.)

I have a set up which belongs on one of those "lol look at this tiny "shop"" lists. It comprises of a workmate in one corner of my kitchen which is also a dining room. Can't even use the big table because it's made of glass. Project is coming along nicely, wood turned up and I've cut and marked all the bits ready to glue for a side table with a shelf, after that it will be a bedside table and there should be a nice amount of offcut for the birds. Also I found another timber place which do bird safe hardwood which is nice.

I have a question. black and decker is on sale in the UK right now, will I regret going for the black and decker version of a router over the Bosch?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MetaJew posted:

Did your parents spend your college fund after the subprime mortgage crisis/Enron collapse?

If you had fun, you won; but wrong generation.

I said that to Parts Kit because it's exactly the thing old guys (Boomers) around here say and it's super obnoxious. The older they get the more annoying they become about pointing insignificant hazards. Along with ranting about how America has too much freedom, Trump is going to clean up the country (white power!), and Hillary will take our guns away, even though half of them don't own guns. Maybe it's just here in the south.

Back to woodworking ...

Probably the best woodworking video I've seen in a long time. Top notch craftsmanship and professionalism coupled with beautiful videography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAeXskZHC2o

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

learnincurve posted:

I have a question. black and decker is on sale in the UK right now, will I regret going for the black and decker version of a router over the Bosch?

Very much so. I own a couple B&D tools because I was planning on trashing them or willing to re-buy them (like my paint-mixing drill).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

wormil posted:

No? I have come close to cutting myself on fresh pipe threads though, so

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

wormil posted:

I said that to Parts Kit because it's exactly the thing old guys (Boomers) around here say and it's super obnoxious. The older they get the more annoying they become about pointing insignificant hazards. Along with ranting about how America has too much freedom, Trump is going to clean up the country (white power!), and Hillary will take our guns away, even though half of them don't own guns. Maybe it's just here in the south.

I know you're talking "in general" and that we live in the same area, but this is a lot of why I refuse to be involved with the "woodworking community". It's full of boomer males who think the way they did it is best for everyone and that all problems a human encounters are due to the moral failings of the person with the problem. It's one of the most unbearable cohorts to be around.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wormil posted:

Warning people about hazards, especially in a thread like this with a bunch of inexperienced people, is how you encourage a robust and thorough safety culture which is A Very Good Thing and shouldn't be made fun of even if it seems obvious or patronizing if you already know what they're talking about.

It's like you haven't even seen Shake Hands with Danger or something :colbert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Parts Kit posted:

I appreciate and will heed your warning.

But will call you a nancy anyway, in accordance to thread tradition.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

If you had fun, you won; but wrong generation.

Back to woodworking ...

Probably the best woodworking video I've seen in a long time. Top notch craftsmanship and professionalism coupled with beautiful videography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAeXskZHC2o

Hey, gently caress you and stfu about boomers sonny, go mow my lawn. Do you hear me whining about danger, danger, Nick Danger? I'm the one who freehands on a table saw when it suits me, rips with a radial arm when it suits me, and I still have all my fingers to play the Star Spangled loving Bananer on my jap strat. When it suits me. Salute that poo poo.
:mrgw::coffee::hf::coffee:

edit- and gently caress all those assholes you're mad at, I agree, put them all on a bigass garbage barge

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Parts Kit posted:

Sorry I was wound up last night, apologies for saying it like an rear end in a top hat but I stand by the sentiment. If I preemptively warned people about everything that came close to hurting me or actually had, I would never post anything but warnings ever again.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Warning people about hazards, especially in a thread like this with a bunch of inexperienced people, is how you encourage a robust and thorough safety culture which is A Very Good Thing and shouldn't be made fun of even if it seems obvious or patronizing if you already know what they're talking about.

Safety in the workplace or when the hazard is significant and present then yes definitely but to seek out potential hazards (real or imagined and often they are imagined), little boo boos, and preemptively warn random people over the internet that is nothing but patronizing and self serving.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Posting on SA may raise your blood pressure.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Comes close to cutting you isn't equivalent to actually cutting you. You could reasonably describe a kitchen knife as coming close to cutting you every time you put your hand on it, that doesn't make it a genuine hazard or something that should be treated as such.

A robust safety culture and an unnecessary, over the top warning about a nonexistent hazard are two different things entirely, one is good, the other inflates the ego of the baby boomer rambling on about it.

Not having a go at Parts Kit, I just hear to much of the same bullshit from old pricks I know who are into doing anything with their hands (metalwork, woodwork, doing up cars etc). Mostly they just seem to want people to bow too their wisdom as it were, I'm yet to see a safety wowser actually do anything beyond drink beer and whinge about how other people are doing things.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

Sorry I was wound up last night, apologies for saying it like an rear end in a top hat but I stand by the sentiment. If I preemptively warned people about everything that came close to hurting me or actually had, I would never post anything but warnings ever again.

Safety in the workplace or when the hazard is significant and present then yes definitely but to seek out potential hazards (real or imagined and often they are imagined), little boo boos, and preemptively warn random people over the internet that is nothing but patronizing and self serving.

Lol, no problemo. Let's post the most boneheaded setups we did and somehow miraculously escaped death or injury even though it would have been totally warranted. You first.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

oh my god shut up

e: latest checkering piece

vs. a comparable professionally done panel

I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Javid posted:

oh my god shut up

Actually, speaking of files, I've found that as long as you use a bastard file to knock back the burrs on the fresh threads...

j/k

That stock looks really nice. Good job, dude.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Javid posted:

oh my god shut up

What if I don't want to shut up? jk
Nice work.How do you maintain the line around the curve of the stock, just careful work or is there a jig of some description to keep you from belling out/twisting across the curve?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Javid posted:

oh my god shut up

The last time you posted pics I was sort of asking about how it's done and am interested in the process. Sure I could google it but if you want to talk about something else then here is your chance.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Things wot I learned today.

1. These (Rusty) backsaws are a bargain ma duck, Aye it will cut though hardwood no problem
2. You can cut dovetails with a hacksaw just the same as if it were a backsaw if it has a rusty metal blade on it like this one.
3. You can't cut a straight line with a jigsaw dear, no matter how good you think you are it will never be really straight.
4. Routers are much better than a jigsaw for cutting lines sweetheart
5. this router is only £40

Then he turned to known flea market lurker, gun enthusiast, and brick poo poo house "The Bird Man" who had been quietly looking at drill bits and gave him a "women tsh" roll of the eyes man nod thing. ....and this kids is how my husband got his brand new anecdote about that time he publicly told off a market stall holder.

Unfortunately we were really late to the market so missed the saws I need and ended up looking at the scraps :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY3juGRix00

This was hilarious, particularly since they're easily my two favorite grumpy canadian woodworkers, and the ones I've been watching on Youtube the longest by far.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Don't think I posted the finished pics for the bottom half of my hutch. I'm very happy with how it turned out. My firs time working with walnut, it's really a joy to work with. It's way less splintery than cherry,very nice to plane as well.

On another note, I upgraded the lighting in my garage tonight. I went from three single bulb light sockets, to three 4' wraparound LED lights. They basically look like fluorescent lights, and each one is about as bright as 4 fluorescent bulbs. It's such a big difference, a real game changer, I would recommend a lighting upgrade to anyone.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Holy jesus wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Don't think I posted the finished pics for the bottom half of my hutch. I'm very happy with how it turned out. My firs time working with walnut, it's really a joy to work with. It's way less splintery than cherry,very nice to plane as well.

On another note, I upgraded the lighting in my garage tonight. I went from three single bulb light sockets, to three 4' wraparound LED lights. They basically look like fluorescent lights, and each one is about as bright as 4 fluorescent bulbs. It's such a big difference, a real game changer, I would recommend a lighting upgrade to anyone.

That's exceptionally well done. Catte approved, I see.

Are those LEDs the ones Costco usually has? I've thought about getting some before.