Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I'm really glad we're back to demons. They just have a lot more personality than Shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hey so what's Kaneko been up to these past six or seven years? Putting together Kazuma Kaneko Works Volume 4, looks like. What's that? It's mostly art from the first Devil Summoner game? Yeah that sounds about right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no, not memes!

(I've seen like two or three references to Japanese memes in Persona 5 already but I'm willing to bet those apparently don't 'count' for whatever reason.)

That said, I actually like the stealth mechanics in P5. I might get tired of them later on but they're a neat gimmick so far.

Edit:

Hey Belphagor you should have been the second boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey Belphagor you should have been the second boss.

He kind of is.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Hey so what's Kaneko been up to these past six or seven years? Putting together Kazuma Kaneko Works Volume 4, looks like. What's that? It's mostly art from the first Devil Summoner game? Yeah that sounds about right.

Was there a ever a artbook just based off DS1/2 Raidou? I'm a fan of the PS2 games but I don't see a lot of art for them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is this like the other games where the storyline timeline is 1 year?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Is this like the other games where the storyline timeline is 1 year?

Yes, but I don't think anyone has confirmed if you can actually, like, play through February or whatever.

Alder posted:

Was there a ever a artbook just based off DS1/2 Raidou? I'm a fan of the PS2 games but I don't see a lot of art for them.

I don't think the Raidou games got artbooks, but there was a fanbook for the first one, at least

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Isn't Morgana intentionally gender-ambiguous too, while we're on that subject?

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Also as a warning P5 is very much like P4 in that it takes for-frigging-ever to get past the initial setup, though you get more dungeon-gameplay in that segment than in P4.

I'm totally used to Persona (and tbh most SMT games in general) starting this way so whatever. The games are heavy on setup, they're 80+ hour RPGs so being cutscene-heavy for 3 hours at the beginning is no big deal.

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I'm really glad we're back to demons. They just have a lot more personality than Shadows.

So there are no shadow enemies at all anymore? I guess that makes sense if negotiation's in, but that is a fairly significant change. I did like a lot of the enemy design in P3/4 tbh, although demon conversations should be fun too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

So there are no shadow enemies at all anymore? I guess that makes sense if negotiation's in, but that is a fairly significant change. I did like a lot of the enemy design in P3/4 tbh, although demon conversations should be fun too.

Not as far as I've seen at least. Every enemy type is an actual demon.

I also gotta say that while I wasn't as down on random dungeons as people were for P3/4, I'm REALLY glad we have actual designed dungeons again. It's a big improvement (though I know there's some kind of random dungeon but even having non-random plot dungeons is fantastic.)

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Not as far as I've seen at least. Every enemy type is an actual demon.

I also gotta say that while I wasn't as down on random dungeons as people were for P3/4, I'm REALLY glad we have actual designed dungeons again. It's a big improvement (though I know there's some kind of random dungeon but even having non-random plot dungeons is fantastic.)

If dungeons don't randomly generate, wouldn't that cut way back on the amount of loot you get while exploring if all the chests are fixed and presumably don't respawn when you come back?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Grozz Nuy posted:

If dungeons don't randomly generate, wouldn't that cut way back on the amount of loot you get while exploring if all the chests are fixed and presumably don't respawn when you come back?

I do believe this is what the memento dungeons are meant for

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

To my understanding (I haven't encountered it yet) there's some kind of 'random' dungeon you can do in-between plot dungeons. The actual dungeons are fixed though I can't say 100% that dungeon treasures don't respawn since I haven't left the first dungeon yet. There are random loot things you can steal and then big glowing chests (including locked ones) so if they do respawn I expect the cheapo loot respawns and the big chests don't. I needed to take a break for the night unfortunately so I can't answer for sure until tomorrow.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

poo poo, I might actually be more excited about this than P5 or SMT4:A. I always need more Devil Summoner in my life.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is there a translation of eternal punishment psp version?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

it's in the works, but it's been slow going for a while now and we're probably not likely to see it released any time soon

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Are you looking for a translation patch or just a translation of the extra Tatsuya scenario? I believe somebody is still working on a patch for the game, but somebody has already translated Tatsuya's scenario.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For Persona 5, are there any dialog options we know of yet where we need to be careful what option we pick? It's really hard to tell without knowing Japanese.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well there's demon negotiating

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Terper posted:

Well there's demon negotiating

Yeah that, but like how in Persona 4 depending on your dialog options you can end the game early and rob yourself of doing like three dungeons.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Super No Vacancy posted:

Is it the same Gilgamesh from fate/

No, that's me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah that, but like how in Persona 4 depending on your dialog options you can end the game early and rob yourself of doing like three dungeons.

I don't know about that but like it has social links and demon negotiating and also there are dungeon puzzles which require you to solve clues and poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about that but like it has social links and demon negotiating and also there are dungeon puzzles which require you to solve clues and poo poo.

poo poo, the dungeon puzzles might be an issue but hopefully Youtube playthroughs and guides will help with that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I remember when I said I didn't like the idea of negotiation coming back to Persona and people jumped up my rear end because this clearly wasn't negotiation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

poo poo, the dungeon puzzles might be an issue but hopefully Youtube playthroughs and guides will help with that.

The only one I've encountered so far has you collecting three books and having to figure out which section of a library they go into which isn't like high-stress puzzle solvin' or anything, but it's there.

MrAristocrates posted:

I remember when I said I didn't like the idea of negotiation coming back to Persona and people jumped up my rear end because this clearly wasn't negotiation

It's completely demon negotiation, though it seems heavily weighted in your favor as per normal.

Also we're still in "protagonist dies = instant game over" territory.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ImpAtom posted:

Also we're still in "protagonist dies = instant game over" territory.

Game sucks, pre-order cancelled, try again next time Fatlus

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How are checkpoints/save points in the dungeons then if they're still doing protag death = instant loss

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

How are checkpoints/save points in the dungeons then if they're still doing protag death = instant loss

There are 'safe rooms' you find where you can save and which also serve as fast travel points. (There are also actual shortcuts you can find and unlock oddly though I'm not entirely sure of the point.)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cool new TGS trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YposLXQ-Fcc

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's actually pretty cool

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

but why.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah they should have held off for Monster Hunter crossovers.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah they should have held off for Monster Hunter crossovers.

Yes yes yes

edit: Palico Morgana

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
makes sense, dragon dogma is the game where you can accidentally date a weirdo clown, right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

makes sense, dragon dogma is the game where you can accidentally date a weirdo clown, right?

they made a dating sim about you???

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Any suggestions for good places to watch some of the gameplay on YouTube? I think I'll watch to a certain point and avoid getting too far in (hopefully).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Brother Entropy posted:

they made a dating sim about you???

no, but they made a manga about me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Any suggestions for good places to watch some of the gameplay on YouTube? I think I'll watch to a certain point and avoid getting too far in (hopefully).

I wouldn't recommend YouTube since later when you've stopped watching, you'll still be recommended P5 videos. Twitch streams like omegavolution's are probably better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Youtube is apparently pulling videos so it's hard to recommend.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does this one also come with a "Please don't spoil" thing that Atlus likes to keep putting in these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Does this one also come with a "Please don't spoil" thing that Atlus likes to keep putting in these

Yes.