Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 5: holy gently caress, Apollo's theme kicking in when he challenges Phoenix to trial is amazing. gave me chills in my spine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alcharagia posted:

why is this game titled phoenix wright even

Imo the marketing team's decision to rake in more bux makes the reveal that Apollo's the main character even more epic.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Carlosologist posted:

Case 5: holy gently caress, Apollo's theme kicking in when he challenges Phoenix to trial is amazing. gave me chills in my spine

Just gonna say it: Ace Attorney 6 is a better versus game than Layton vs. Wright. :v: (Disclaimer: I liked Layton vs. Wright. Boy I wish it had a chapter select.)

cloofish posted:

Imo the marketing team's decision to rake in more bux makes the reveal that Apollo's the main character even more epic.

Also as much as people poo poo on Apollo Justice Ace Attorney I don't think they're gonna use the name again.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So far i feel as if Case 3 is really running into that problem of not following the developers logic exactly, so you don't get to continue. There are quite a few statements where it would seem like the right piece of evidence would work, but it just doesn't because how you figure something out might be what they intended for you to figure out. I ran into this alot during Ihmus' testimony and are now running into it with Day 2's Insight I know the smell of the weird food is what i need to press but i'm not sure as to what statement. Because i imagine that smell would be pretty prevalent if everybody in area ate what is essentially 2 days worth of Garlic in 3 hours

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://askaceattorney.tumblr.com/post/145664710287/famitsu-aa6-popularity-polls

Some of these are accurate and some of these are very, very wrong (also the Oldbag vote is powerful)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

Some of these are accurate and some of these are very, very wrong (also the Oldbag vote is powerful)

Oldbag is cool, gently caress the haters. Also how is Apollo ranked 5th? He's so blatantly the best it's almost unfair.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Finished Case 4. Good palate cleanser! Bring on Case 5!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 5: Hearing Objection 2016 from the other side of the bench is cruel and wrong. I can almost hear Apollo screaming "I'm not owned, I'm not owned!!"

AA6 is easily in the top tier of AA games. I have it right behind AAI2 in terms of quality, it's really that drat good.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So far i feel as if Case 3 is really running into that problem of not following the developers logic exactly, so you don't get to continue. There are quite a few statements where it would seem like the right piece of evidence would work, but it just doesn't because how you figure something out might be what they intended for you to figure out. I ran into this alot during Ihmus' testimony and are now running into it with Day 2's Insight I know the smell of the weird food is what i need to press but i'm not sure as to what statement. Because i imagine that smell would be pretty prevalent if everybody in area ate what is essentially 2 days worth of Garlic in 3 hours

Hint: That food is prepared under very specific circumstances. Why?

Solution: It can't be the night of the rite, if the guy's smelling Gingihi.

cloofish posted:

Oldbag is cool, gently caress the haters. Also how is Apollo ranked 5th? He's so blatantly the best it's almost unfair.

You must be one of those despicable, forked-tongued lawyers. For your lie, you will burn in the eighth hell. It is very unpleasant, let me tell you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is that above or below Hangnail hell? Because that was just :stonk:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, protip for new people!

If you want to skip the stock foot-- I mean Rayfa's Divination Dance you can safely do so. You won't miss anything.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

And More posted:

You must be one of those despicable, forked-tongued lawyers. For your lie, you will burn in the eighth hell. It is very unpleasant, let me tell you.

:saddowns:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Case 4: Judge: I daresay I can’t take my eyes off those balloons! and then the breakdown happens and oh my god they really were balloons.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, protip for new people!

If you want to skip the stock foot-- I mean Rayfa's Divination Dance you can safely do so. You won't miss anything.

The mocap in this game looks kind of terrible. They keep the animations snappy for the most part, but then in Episode 5 there is this series of mocapped cutscenes that feels like you're watching people wearing anime suits. The movement is just way too fluid for anime characters.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I'm astonished at the insane amount of work put into this game. So, so much animations.

Case 5 had everything, but most importantly...

Edgeworth getting pissed at the Plumed Punisher and him going "Ngooooooooooh!!" was the best.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Where does the Khura'in portion of the game take place in the Japanese version? Is it also called Khura'in?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's called the Kingdom of Kurain, and it takes place in, well, the same place. Far west of Asia, near Nepal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes, it's pretty obvious that it's not Japan, so I'm not sure why people ask this. The only difference is that it would be a shorter plane flight.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It's not spoilers for Case 5, but that's where I finally realized this. Datz is like a new Larry but better. I love this guy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, uh... Does this fourth case serve any actual purpose? I'm just loving how they finally had to throw their hands in the air. Making Simon the weeaboo was definitely the right call, in hindsight.

Also, holy poo poo, I think they made a legitimately good Case 3.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Goddamn was it ever long though. I've been playing since i asked about the Insights earlier.

Also with it's ending it's like Okay now that we're caught up to the intro we gotta get all the important characters on screen now, chop chop, hurry up!

While i haven't started it yet, i can see why they'd put a filler case in after something like that. Give your mind something easier to digest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

So, uh... Does this fourth case serve any actual purpose?

I'm loving triggered by this question

Yes, it serves a purpose. It's there to entertain you, the player of the game. There's funny and interesting dialogue in it and you solve a case, which is presumably what you came here to do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The overrated mask de masque case from AA3 served no purpose and people love that one

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It did a good job of subtly building up to the Fey family stuff in the case's first, uh, case.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
So, Case 5 spoilers: I can't believe Inga's full name is literally Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III. Ace Attorney is reaching the next level of puns. I had to stop playing for ten minutes because I was laughing too hard at that.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

So, uh... Does this fourth case serve any actual purpose? I'm just loving how they finally had to throw their hands in the air. Making Simon the weeaboo was definitely the right call, in hindsight.

Also, holy poo poo, I think they made a legitimately good Case 3.

To add to what's already said, Case 4 furthers the game's theme of legacy and gives some very nice character moments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want Franziska to come back in AA7. She and Gumshoe are the only people we haven't caught up with yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 4 shows us Athena is still training as a lawyer I guess. And that in addition to learning from Wright she's also learning to do whatever it is Blackquill does

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Franziska and Athena throwing down in court would be cool and good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just beat Asinine Attorney, the first mini-episode. Worth 4 bucks? Not really, but it did have a pretty amusing ending.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want Franziska to be happy with her wife Adrian.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Clarste posted:

Yes, it's pretty obvious that it's not Japan, so I'm not sure why people ask this. The only difference is that it would be a shorter plane flight.

I'm just curious about the context. I'm fine with the English localization it's just been kind of a thing for the whole series, but sometimes you see a Ninetales Valley or a Kurain and it makes me wonder what they were supposed to be.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Around halfway through case 4. Some thoughts so far.

Case 1: Ramped up the odds real fast, didn't we? I like the magistrate - he's surprisingly committed to seeing justice done given the climate of the time and a pretty cool dude overall. Death Metal Pees'lubn was insane and amazing as all get out. "Death truth is what you dread! Hear my shred!!"

Case 2: Every single older Gramayre is a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Roger Retinz was great and his breakdown amazing, though the bit with making the camera disappear pre-day 2 gave up too much info at once. Bonny and Betty were amazing as well. Poor Manov Mistree though, dude's entire purpose was to die just to gently caress with Trucy - he wasn't innocent by any means but Retinz had him from day 1. He's up there with von Karma for holding grudges. I also questioned Bonny's life choices during the thought route and it was hilarious. A very good case.

Case 3: MAYA :swoon: and she's immediately accused of murder, good to see things don't change. Having Rayfa as your investigation partner was absolutely wonderful and made the case extremely enjoyable by that count alone. Rayfa is cute and her theme is good.

The Steel Motherfucking Samurai strikes again.

Datz's facial expressions are amazing, especially after you realize he was making those exact faces under the bushy hair and beard during the trial. He's a fun character. I actually was expecting the wife to be guilty early on, but not at all in the way that it came out - a suicide to protect a murder was some sad poo poo. Also nice job kicking the revolution into overdrive, Jimmy Phoenix.

So far on Case 4, holy poo poo Simon loving with Athena is the best, he is goddamn on point.

This game is Good.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Finally finished AA6, and I have to say, god that was a good game. It's really nice to see how much Apollo's grown. He's really come a long way since AA4. :3:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Terper posted:

I just beat Asinine Attorney, the first mini-episode. Worth 4 bucks? Not really, but it did have a pretty amusing ending.

I thought it was cute. Just think of it as buying the theme that comes with it and getting the case for free, ha.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that Case 5 Investigation 2 acknowledges "Are you SURE Phoenix wasn't talking about wine?" "Yes, we're sure."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Also, Ema is cute and wonderful and her new theme is great and she is great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

theshim posted:

Also, Ema is cute and wonderful and her new theme is great and she is great.

:yeah:

I hope she sticks around as detective for a while.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lana will have been released from prison by this time and is the special prosecutor at the end of AA7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Lana will have been released from prison by this time and is the special prosecutor at the end of AA7.

Man it'd be nuts if the series ever addressed her and Iris again

I'm not really that eager to see Iris since she's not really that interesting but it'd be cool to see Lana get free