Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What makes you guys say Monster Hunter is "bad" games? I know they're not to everyone's tastes, but what makes you call them just flat-out bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all video games are bad Heil hitler

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

What makes you guys say Monster Hunter is "bad" games? I know they're not to everyone's tastes, but what makes you call them just flat-out bad?

There boring and suck and obtuse as gently caress

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

greatn posted:

There boring and suck and obtuse as gently caress

Ah.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

The game practically requires you have outside help/a guide to follow along, especially with regards to crafting. And at the time the series came out, action games with an emphasis on animation priority were not in vogue. Now that the Souls games have taken the world by storm, I think people can handle it's style of combat a little more easily.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FanaticalMilk posted:

The game practically requires you have outside help/a guide to follow along, especially with regards to crafting. And at the time the series came out, action games with an emphasis on animation priority were not in vogue. Now that the Souls games have taken the world by storm, I think people can handle it's style of combat a little more easily.

Not to mention that the control style in the game is purposefully obtuse when better systems have been developed. This is all 'part of the charm'. :fuckoff:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Monster Hunter owns + I'll hunt monsters until the day I die

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FanaticalMilk posted:

The game practically requires you have outside help/a guide to follow along, especially with regards to crafting.

You don't need an outside guide for anything unless you're looking up a specific monster part (most parts are prefaced with the name of the monster), rocks and poo poo though do get confusing but just mine every spot and you learn where to get certain materials.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FanaticalMilk posted:

I disagree, you make mistakes in the beginning but it's pretty clear what they were, (i.e. bring more whetstones, bring hot drinks, etc.) and it's not like it's hard to figure out that you get "Rathalos Bone" by killing a Rathalos

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's fun to discuss Monster Hunter with Monster Hunter friends.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you wanna be the very best Monster Hunter of all time with the very best gear as fast as possible, then yeah you're gonna want to google "where to find X" but that's true of literally all video games

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Monster Hunter owns + I'll hunt monsters until the day I die

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

DQ VII is on track for early delivery tomorrow. :dance:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kin posted:

Not to mention that the control style in the game is purposefully obtuse when better systems have been developed. This is all 'part of the charm'. :fuckoff:
Its okay to not like Monster Hunter, but let's not make things up.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Buy Xenoblade but then play it on Dolphin with upscaling. It deserves better than the 3DS screen.

(so does Monster Hunter but that's a whole other can of worms)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

glassyalabolas posted:

DQ VII is on track for early delivery tomorrow. :dance:

I was about to ask if the 3d picross game is worth $30 but if DQ is coming out tomorrow nevermind.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

jabro posted:

I was about to ask if the 3d picross game is worth $30 but if DQ is coming out tomorrow nevermind.

It is worth it though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

For what it's worth I hear MH Generations is good even for people who don't like older MH games because they did some pretty fundamental changes to the controls and gameplay?

Personally I have the opposite problem a lot of people have. I don't mind the controls and love dark souls but it's really boring having context free monster fights all the time, a big draw of Souls is the atmosphere and background story. Plus at the end of the day I just prefer souls combat a lot to MH

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yeah i tried monster hunter and not only did it take 10 hours before i actually got to hunt an actual loving monster it was just kind of boring, grindy, go here and kill that stuff

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

jabro posted:

Release date is actually Friday, Sept. 16 :ssh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah i tried monster hunter and not only did it take 10 hours before i actually got to hunt an actual loving monster it was just kind of boring, grindy, go here and kill that stuff

In 10 hours you are at 4 star missions and have killed more different types of boss monsters than small monster types even exist in the game

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

For what it's worth I hear MH Generations is good even for people who don't like older MH games because they did some pretty fundamental changes to the controls and gameplay?

Personally I have the opposite problem a lot of people have. I don't mind the controls and love dark souls but it's really boring having context free monster fights all the time, a big draw of Souls is the atmosphere and background story. Plus at the end of the day I just prefer souls combat a lot to MH

MH4U had a story... at least moreso than Generations and previous games.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The secret is to not do all the gathering quests unless it's required.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HenryEx posted:

In 10 hours you are at 4 star missions and have killed more different types of boss monsters than small monster types even exist in the game

I played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and that giant quadruped lizard you have to fight as it marches towards your town gates was the first time I felt like I was actually fighting a "Monster". As opposed to just running into a sleeping animal's lair with a sword and trying to cut it apart so I could turn it into clothes.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

no i was being told to kill a slightly different version of the jaggi in a different area. there was lots of running through empty rooms and gathering i had to do

the souls series is so much better in every way its unreal

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

no i was being told to kill a slightly different version of the jaggi in a different area. there was lots of running through empty rooms and gathering i had to do

the souls series is so much better in every way its unreal
You don't have to do any of that though, you can just choose to hunt monsters instead.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the game literally would not let me progress until i gatheted some shrooms

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

At first I thought Monster Hunter would be lame, as it's often described as "Boss Fights, the game".

Except that's exactly what makes it so good. Generations introduces hunter styles, which makes the already wide variety of weapons have 4 different ways you can play them. Also you can play as a cat.

It's a really meaty game overall, though I HIGHLY recommend not going to High Rank in the online hub quests stuff, as all the Village Quests assume you're stuck with Low Rank gear. A bit of a tragedy, but I imagine Monster Hunter 5 (Whenever that's out) will be immensely fun.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i also had to lure a bear somewhere and that was some frustrating poo poo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone translated the old Iwata Asks interview for DQ7 3DS: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...-of-limitations

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Souls and Monster Hunter aim to do entirely different things and have little in common. The only design philosophy they share is that you have to be committed to your attacks once initiated. Monster Hunter has more in common with Punch Out than Souls.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Monster Hunter is not a game for everyone, but if it clicks for you it's a pretty top-tier series.

Speaking of top-tier series, I just beat Spirit of Justice and I am kind of...emotionally exhausted

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Finished Bravely Second ahead of DQ coming in Friday. Avoided a lot of the problems of the first game, even if the ending was note for note identical to the first and NG+ gimmick was dumb. So do we have a confirmed 3rd game to round out the trilogy?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

lmao have you ever liked a game??

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I tried the latest Monster Hunter demon, and while it seemed neat, I kinda bounced off of the control scheme. It seems like something I'd really enjoy with a larger controller with more buttons, and a lock-on function, but as is it seems frustrating to play.

Unrelated question, going to pick up a SD-card for my New 3DS (small) today. Any requirements/limitations I need to know about? Normal MicroSDHC should be fine?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really see many similarities between Souls and MH combat, you have to commit to attacks in both but combat in Souls is snappy and visceral, in MH I hit the attack button then go and make a cup of tea and maybe the animation will be finished by the time I get back.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Then why not use a weapon with fast animations??

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i also had to lure a bear somewhere and that was some frustrating poo poo

Which MH game did you play? The newer ones are a lot better about getting you into the action much faster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And there's plenty of Monster Hunter clones with lock on and they prove why lock on is a bad idea for Monster Hunter.

The great thing about the series is how deep and different every weapon class is, so learning a new weapon is like a brand new game. Don't like switch axe? Give hammer a try! Tired of hammer? Get an insect glaive and mount bitches. :heysexy:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is it a bad I idea? It seemed to work fine for me in God Eater, Toukiden and a bunch of other MH style games I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think certain monsters tend to gently caress with the camera if it were to stay locked on. Monster Hunter has a soft lock-on anyways, so it's not that big of a deal unless you really dislike tapping the L-button to recenter the camera all the time.