Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Brodual put up a video about their visual mod list that's pretty interesting. Some items on there I hadn't heard of that I'll want to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwc8GuLHV94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Im pretty sure familliar faces requires you to have had Racemenu and FF installed on the saves you're importing as well as your new game.

Both SPERG and Ordinator make playing a mage much better than vanilla.

Be sure to grab Apocalypse, Spectraverse, and Dwemertech if you're playing a mage.

My two favorite house mods - Fyr Manor and Clockwork - are both very mage friendly.

Fun tip: Grab apocalypse and play a sneaky vampire illusionist.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Lava Lair and Dwemer Jar are both good, and you can instantly jump into your house from basically anywhere (like when you're in the middle of a dungeon run and need to offload some loot/do some work on that sweet new gear you picked up/need a loving break from this mod dungeon, jesus christ I'm sick of running on spinning cogs (looking at you Wheels of Lull)). If you are running a mod that lets you skip Helgen, you'll want to look up the item code for the Lava Lair Spell Book / Dwemer Jar, as both mods place said items there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm not exactly sure which spell it is, but Apocalypse just granted me a staff that hits a target for 100% and me for 125% of its health, reduced significantly if the sacrifice would be lethal

the rod of "by my right as the chuftier boy, i bid you dead". gotta give them credit i wouldn't have imagined for a way to make fortify health potions a means of offense

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

bloodclot posted:

Oh, and another thing. There is a navmesh conflict between JK's Skyrim and the latest release of USLEEP which results in a crash upon entering Windhelm.. The problem is not present for users of JK's Cities - Lite and Superlite.

The USLEEP team doesn't consider this to be their responsibility to fix, and has provided no way for users to downgrade to an older version where this issue was not present. For the moment, the two mods should be considered incompatible.

That explains the crashes. Now I'll have to find another way to gather alchemy supplies. JK's Skyrim made that piss easy with all the plants thrown everywhere in the cities.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Is there any safe way to uninstall a magic mod mid-playthrough? I use Phenderix but want to change to Apocalypse. Will it just completely gently caress up everything if I remove Phenderix?

Phenderix isn't bad really, it's just not that interesting. It adds a lot of stuff but it's mostly fluff that feels generic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The secret to making combat in these games fun isn't necessarily to make combat significantly harder, but instead to bump up the number of spawns with something like ASIS. It's so much more fun to take out 10 semi weak guys than 1 huge damage sponge. The same thing applies to the Fallout games too. If you're skeptical, I urge you to try it at least once and then I think you'll see what I mean.

Hmmm, MORE enemies would also deal with "I'm trying not to hit my companion/summon in the back of the head" by making more enemies to hit instead of the ones they are fighting.

So I'll definitely keep this in mind, but I figure I'll wait for more fancy custom installation (and uninstall if needed) type mods until I for realizes finally get around to beating the main quest for once... Just as soon as I beat the Civil war... Just as soon as I clear the Dark Brotherhood.

Though, as ASIS advertises giving enemies access to the same perks you have, it should be interesting to see just where SPERG lands me for "I'm OP" vs "I'm hosed" that lands on the enemy spells front, if I don't go whole hog 75% magic resist Breton ASAP.

Because usually my biggest cause of pain in Vanilla/SPERG are enemy spells, Runes. summons, and spell effect spamming monsters that are not Dragons (Hi, Spriggans and Undead mask wearing viking wizards), etc. "Well things are going well *trips over a rune around corner* oh make that I'm down to barely alive out of 350-and now I'm dealing with a hover kiting spell spam zombie wizard WELP"

How customizable is it for what perks NPCS can/can't use? I'd really rather they don't get Uber Runes or x4 strength Mage armor while I'm still fumbling about with a mix of steel and iron. For all the lament about Vanilla player spell damage, particular TTK vs a whole room when you are still pre-infinite mana god gear... NPCs seem to hurt you juuuuuust fine with Vanilla magic if they are not bottom teir fodder, and there is a whole room full of them focusing you down and laughing at your store bought boots of 50% frost resist.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Foxhound posted:

Is there any safe way to uninstall a magic mod mid-playthrough? I use Phenderix but want to change to Apocalypse. Will it just completely gently caress up everything if I remove Phenderix?

Phenderix isn't bad really, it's just not that interesting. It adds a lot of stuff but it's mostly fluff that feels generic.

my guess is that it won't completely gently caress up everything, but Skyrim is a weird thing, hence the oft-repeated (and generally good) advice not to mess around with changing mods mid-game. this being said, I do nothing but change around with mods mid-game and I'm not alone. The dirty secret of this thread is just like dirty CK edits: just do it and find out!

Here's the thing - from what I see, Phenderix adds a bunch of spells, npcs, and, optionally, player perks. Two of those are usually no big deal to remove, and the third is something you can find out! Make a good hard save first, such that you can re-add Phenderix and revert if you have to, and just know going in you might be botching the profile. But that's always a risk and :shrug:

there are things you can do to help mitigate continued mod-fuckery, but the way I do it presupposes you've already beaten Skyrim and have 75/75 achievements and consider modding to be the game now.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 13, 2016

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Psion posted:

my guess is that it won't completely gently caress up everything, but Skyrim is a weird thing, hence the oft-repeated (and generally good) advice not to mess around with changing mods mid-game. this being said, I do nothing but change around with mods mid-game and I'm not alone. The dirty secret of this thread is just like dirty CK edits: just do it and find out!

Here's the thing - from what I see, Phenderix adds a bunch of spells, npcs, and, optionally, player perks. Two of those are usually no big deal to remove, and the third is something you can find out! Make a good hard save first, such that you can re-add Phenderix and revert if you have to, and just know going in you might be botching the profile. But that's always a risk and :shrug:

there are things you can do to help mitigate continued mod-fuckery, but the way I do it presupposes you've already beaten Skyrim and have 75/75 achievements and consider modding to be the game now.

Yeah I suppose there is only one way to find out. Worst case scenario I can probably just leave Phenderix in and not use it and add Apocalypse on top.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The thing to check if you can is whether the mod uses persistent scripts. But this isn't necessarily obvious or easy to figure out.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Hmm, well I can't find any scripts since there is no scripts folder in Skyrim/Data and I can't find any in MO. Do they go somewhere else if you use MO?

After I uninstalled Phenderix there is still a menu for it in the mods menu on the pause screen. That seems odd.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Hmm, well I can't find any scripts since there is no scripts folder in Skyrim/Data and I can't find any in MO. Do they go somewhere else if you use MO?

MO has a separate folder for each mod's game files. You can also use one of the views on the right side of its window to look at all the assets added by mods and also right click on a mod to look at this in its properties.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

MO has a separate folder for each mod's game files. You can also use one of the views on the right side of its window to look at all the assets added by mods and also right click on a mod to look at this in its properties.

Ah cool, found them. Didn't see any scripts from Phenderix.

Well, it seems to have gone well so far. Did the Apocalypse install after removing Phenderix, Didn't have any spells left from Phen in my spellbook, went to one of the places where the vendors spawn and there was nothing there. The MCM menu disappeared after a while and the Apocalypse one appeared. The added perks disappeared from the perk tree. Fingers crossed that it works.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

docbeard posted:

My favorite example of this was some wildlife mod that for some reason added a ridiculous wolf pack that your level 2 or so character can in no way handle right outside of Helgen, and the modder's advice to people who asked about this was "oh don't turn the mod on til you're level 10 or so".

Balance seems to be kind of a running problem with enemy mods. The old Monster Mod back in the day liked to drop demon things along the road that were 15-20 levels higher than you; which isn't something you can overcome at level 2 with Minor Healing potions and unenchanted iron everything. Immersive Creatures loves its packs, and doesn't scale the variety too well. I just started a mage character in Windhelm, and right now can only cast one Fire Rune before my magicka is too low to do anything but sling one or two Fire Bolts and run around waiting for it to recharge. I crossed the bridge out of town and turned right, 2 plain wolves, a red wolf pup, and 2 feral ice wolves came boiling out of the brush. Either of the two feral (why is this adjective here) wolves would be a handful on its own. As a crowd, all I could do was keep firing off potshots and jumping into the water. Headed up the road to Kynesgrove, 8-9 rieklings charged out from behind a rock, including a mounted charger. Plain rieklings can kill me in two-shots, but any of the hunters, scouts, etc. can one-shot me from a distance, and the charger can do enough damage in one hit to kill me two or three times. Head to the left toward the farms, more rieklings. Try to go to Winterhold, rieklings.

I think you can turn some of that poo poo off in the MCM. I always at least turn off skeleton resurrection, but I don't think it should be up to the player to point out that a platoon of anything is pretty unrealistic for a level 2 character. I managed the wolves, but I had to very carefully lead the rieklings to a wandering giant, who then helped them develop a space program. What's silly is that running the defaults, the scale will slip from a range of "manageable" to "HOLY poo poo RUN!" to between "yawn" and "mostly manageable" by about level 25.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

Seems interesting but this does not seem particularly well thought out:

Like, I'm pretty sure most of these things would give chase but then give up after a while. A bear doesn't need to follow you into a goddamn city just because you woke it up. Retreat should be a viable option

But... but... :psyduck:

If you check the changes tab you get this:

========================
YASH_OpenEncounterZones.esp
========================

With this ESP enabled the enemies will cross the zones boundaries, chasing you outside dungeons, caves and town buildings. It can be used as a standalone mod.

So basically assuming you have MO you can drag this function into the optional section. Neat.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

RangerPL posted:

Just dropping by to say Noble Skyrim is the poo poo. I replaced my old SMC-based texture pack with it and saved ~5GB SSD space as well as gaining 5-10 FPS which lets me play at 1440p with an ENB.

I have wanted to try it, but i have heard it does not work for DLC content which ruins it for me. I want to use it across all characters to get less hassle and i want it to be refreshing across the board.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Section Z posted:

I'll be honest. That sounds about right for a stereotypical "Hardcore gamer" mentality. The don't see any break in the logic, they want the "risk", but will also be sure to tell people how easy it is if you're :airquote: smart. I do adore the "You'll see why even Bethseda thought this was a bad idea" part, though.

There are some interesting Cheats buried in there, along with all the ballbusting though. Like how you know EVERY enchantment by default, even if they seem to gate applying said enchants by skill level. Or how they say "You start with NO skills, and the first skill up takes ten times longer!" But allow training dummies to let you beat the poo poo out of them for weapon skills or Destruction up to 15, rendering that downside essentially meaningless for attack skills once you reach civilization.

It's always fascinating to me to see the twisty logics people have for what they personally consider "Fair and balanced". You'll see a ton of bullshit handicaps, and then something that's broken as gently caress even to your mindset just casually thrown in there because it fits their preferences.

Off in turbo nerd land, I've had people straight faced tell me that using minimum cost "Rulebook examples this as how to build a sound system" sound powers, were munchkin cheating without being trained in ventriloquism.

Then they would turn around and suggest I used this minimum possible cost power, as a 5 kilometer intimidation attack. On my guy with supernatural spookiness that would make Batman poo poo his pants. But no, trying to be the funny sounds guy from Police academy with my supowerpowers? THAT's cheating! :v:

I can see where you are coming from. However as stated it is hardly comparable to Requiem where you can be oneshot by many enemies. This mod mostly delevels enemies and reduces your starting stats which are arguably still easy to increase and enemies wont be incredibly annoying meatshield lategame. You should not be too powerful too fast either as skilling is 2x as slow. To me this seems like the best of both worlds and it still feels very much like vanilla Skyrim. However, as for the training dummy i agree that it was a pretty lame way to go around the skill training difficulty, although you could argue that it is "immersive", i would have preferred to use skill trainers. Also worth mentioning that Bosmer are OP as gently caress with a bow and puts all other stealth archer races to shame.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Section Z posted:

I swear, selectively cherry picked "Because realism" in gaming is fast becoming my biggest :argh: Usually it's only when it causes problems, too. If you bring up Realistic or lore friendly options that would improve QoL, Players and Devs previously citing Realism/Lore as the basis of their design preferences will not care about either anymore.

I can definetly relate. I remember seeing a mod that added 3d sleeping animation so you could watch your character tuck himself into bed. Why the gently caress would anyone ever want to mod something you want to over as fast as possible? That is the prime difference between such a mod and Enchanced Camera as an example. An immersion mod should make you immersed frequently and without MCM menus, long rear end animations etc.

Midig fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 15, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Midig posted:

I can definetly relate. I remember seeing a mod that added 3d sleeping animation so you could watch your character tuck himself into bed. Why the gently caress would anyone ever want to mod something you want to over as fast as possible? That is the prime difference between such a mod and Enchanced Camera as an example. An immersion mod should make you immersed frequently and without MCM menus, long rear end animations etc.
Yeah, you getting enjoyment out of a mod is much, MUCH more reasonable than the more extreme mindsets being mentioned. Not like you are telling people they are playing the game "wrong" for not using it either.

To bring up Subnautica again, they added functionality to Beds. You stare up at the ceiling in real time... that's it (okay so it also eases up your food/hunger bars like sitting in a chair). People asking "Uh, where's the time skip?" get chided for being impatient casuals/scared of the night like babies off in the official forums :v:

Of course, as a "Survival" style game, even if on the light side, it's the kind of general community that will talk poo poo to people for assuming there would be/wondering when they will get around to adding an Auto-save in a modern videogame. I'm pretty sure even the most "Hardcore" Skyrim player would still figure auto-saves are a reasonable expectation.

Or, you know, not expect trying to smith a second object destroying the first one, if you didn't back out of the crafting UI and specifically click on it to pick it up every single time (Yeah that was a thing for a while in the beta build, also defended as "immersive").

EDIT: I can actually understand the desire for bed animations, and (theoretically) this in of themselves would not remind you that you are playing a videogame unless it added extra obtuse steps to the "sleep X hours" UI. You generally only sleep in beds for the exp boost or plot triggers in vanilla anyways.

If sleeping was modded to be a requirement of not dying, I could see it beginning to wear out it's welcome if that wasn't your thing much sooner.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 15, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Campfire did it right with tents. Activating your bedroll lets you either lie down, kick your boots off and smugly view the raging snowstorm outside from third person or maybe talk to your party members doing the same before invoking the sleep menu, or... just invoke the sleep menu immediately like any other bed if all you want is some shut-eye to get rid of that -80% skill growth penalty.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Section Z posted:

Hmmm, MORE enemies would also deal with "I'm trying not to hit my companion/summon in the back of the head" by making more enemies to hit instead of the ones they are fighting.

So I'll definitely keep this in mind, but I figure I'll wait for more fancy custom installation (and uninstall if needed) type mods until I for realizes finally get around to beating the main quest for once... Just as soon as I beat the Civil war... Just as soon as I clear the Dark Brotherhood.

Though, as ASIS advertises giving enemies access to the same perks you have, it should be interesting to see just where SPERG lands me for "I'm OP" vs "I'm hosed" that lands on the enemy spells front, if I don't go whole hog 75% magic resist Breton ASAP.

Because usually my biggest cause of pain in Vanilla/SPERG are enemy spells, Runes. summons, and spell effect spamming monsters that are not Dragons (Hi, Spriggans and Undead mask wearing viking wizards), etc. "Well things are going well *trips over a rune around corner* oh make that I'm down to barely alive out of 350-and now I'm dealing with a hover kiting spell spam zombie wizard WELP"

How customizable is it for what perks NPCS can/can't use? I'd really rather they don't get Uber Runes or x4 strength Mage armor while I'm still fumbling about with a mix of steel and iron. For all the lament about Vanilla player spell damage, particular TTK vs a whole room when you are still pre-infinite mana god gear... NPCs seem to hurt you juuuuuust fine with Vanilla magic if they are not bottom teir fodder, and there is a whole room full of them focusing you down and laughing at your store bought boots of 50% frost resist.

Giving enemies SPERG perks becomes very deadly very fast, because they get ALL the perks their respective skill levels allow them. A necromancer master has, I believe, at least level 75 or 100 in most magic skills. Have you SEEN the kind of stuff SPERG can get you at that level?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Is the setup for a new save game still the same? (Install mods via MO, sort with LOOT, smooth out dirty edits with TES5Edit, and finish with a batched patch in Wrye Bash)

And should I even bother with ENB Boost if my OS is Windows 10? It sounds like it's throttled to the point of uselessness.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mizuti posted:

And should I even bother with ENB Boost if my OS is Windows 10? It sounds like it's throttled to the point of uselessness.

You shouldn't and it is.

The magic of Skyrim performance on Windows 10 is strictly limited to fine tuning your .inis sadly. This should be fixed come the Remastered Edition though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So what actually is the story with Windows 10 and DX9 anyway? I've heard it a couple different ways, and there's a pretty big difference between "can only utilize 4 gigs of video RAM" and "can only use 4 gigs at all".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Skyrim at base mirrors all VRAM usage to RAM, so limits to RAM are basically the same as limits to VRAM.

Windows 10 hard OS-locks DX9 apps to use no more than 4 GB. There is no way of circumventing this apparently.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Midig posted:

I have wanted to try it, but i have heard it does not work for DLC content which ruins it for me. I want to use it across all characters to get less hassle and i want it to be refreshing across the board.

It works just fine with the DLC. Why wouldn't it work with the DLC? :psyduck:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

NobleSkyrim doesn't have replacements for several of Dawnguard's & Dragonborn's textures yet. I guess some people somehow translated that into "is not compatible with the DLC"?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
ENBoost is known to help performance even on cards with less than 4GB of VRAM. Sure, the Windows 10 thing does limit ENBoost's usefulness on cards with 4GB+, but why would it eliminate it for everyone? That I don't get.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Midig posted:

I use it alongside some of AMidian's textures and then I grabbed these textures for Dawnguard and Dragonborn creatures, at least.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 15, 2016

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

Sorry, i meant does not include textures for Dawnguard and Dragonborn. If you go to the main page it is there on the to-do list for the author.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Transmogrifier posted:

I use it alongside some of AMidian's textures and then I grabbed these textures for Dawnguard and Dragonborn creatures, at least.

I dont think Noble skyrim edits creatures, armors or weapons at all. You will have to download city and landscape textures if you want the DLC aspects to be as refreshed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuramor posted:

Giving enemies SPERG perks becomes very deadly very fast, because they get ALL the perks their respective skill levels allow them. A necromancer master has, I believe, at least level 75 or 100 in most magic skills. Have you SEEN the kind of stuff SPERG can get you at that level?

I kinda assumed it would be crazy for enemies to get it, yeah. When it comes to magical offence, though usually I prefer spells on the side over straight destruction. I'm so glad SPERG buffs up Flame Atranoch decently. It can actually fit through doors :v: and watching a fight suddenly end with my enemy being launched 50 feet by a fire bolt is always funny. SPERG Bound weapons are a case of my adoring the first perk, then letting them get shelved later once real weapons catch up (not helped by the fact the last perk doesn't seem to actually cause any elemental effects, when I do take it).

But even without extra enemies, it's not hard to see NPCs going hog wild with even basic passives, as enemy magic spam from people or Monsers has always been the flipping a switch from surviving readily or with only dropping to half health before backing off to heal, to massive pain in the dick.

If every chump mage got so much as frost aura, that'd only further frustrate my seeing "I have 60 destruction and Frost aura, and I still basically only tickle them with frostbite compared to how much they hurt me with frostbite through my 50% frost resist boots :argh:" I guess it is no surprise that like in most cases, trying to balance physical and magic to the same points is pretty hard even if you wanted to try.

I'm nearing the end of the Darkbrotherhood plot, I'm telling myself I'll totally finish the main quest for once just as soon as I do the Civil war (It would feel awkward killing the Emperor AFTER I sword to serve him :v:). At that point I may start over YET AGAIN, but try out Apocalypse magic to finally try my hand at a no armor destruction primary. (And then finally do the DLC as a werewolf wizard, or something).

Apoc seems straightforward, and lists a SPERG patch on the nexus page. My biggest hangup for trying out destruction primary hasn't been how strong I am without 100 Enchanting gear (even if shrugging and just pulling out a sword is common). But rather, variety. Particularly on the pre expert end and "So you haven't covered yourself in enough top tier magical bling to essentially give you infinite ammo" situation.

Blacksmith upgrading through an array of weapons may essentially be cosmetic differences. But that's still more variety, and more tangible progress (I finally got a full set of Elf/Dwarf gear! AND I can finally upgrade them to superior!), compared to dual casting the same few early tier spells constantly so you aren't living off an IV drip of mana potions before your levels and equipment ramp up. Or Enchanting not feeling worth it without grinding it up to 100+double enchant... While I'm still unable to make Resists/Renegs half as good as store bought, or School+Regen robes that are not complete trash if I want to wear anything but off the shelf robes like every NPC in the world without just sucking it up and double enchanting it to be only almost as good as a single.

It would be less jarring on the "SPERG 100 enchanting+all the perks is great for everything BUT Resistances/Wizard robes" front... if having at least as good as loot element resists was always my primary concern :v: alongside "Just let me have my cosmetic preference of peerles destruction, Jesus".

I don't feel like I need to enchant my armor or weapons to kick rear end on the physical combat and skill checks front (Though brotherhood hand gear certainly helps for sneaky murder). I only ever feel like I NEED enchantments to make being hit by magic not suck as anything but a Breton, or to make casting not suck... So of course, those are the types of enchanting that custom stuff doesn't work great for my current mods setup, even though I can make an absorb health effect stronger than anything that naturally occurs in game, hah.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 15, 2016

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Well, with SPERG installed, Breton + Awakened Racials Perk + Agent of Mara + Resist Magic Perk (Alteration level 70) gets you past the 85% Magic Resistance cap from vanilla. For everybody else, Agent of Mara + Resist Magic gets you 45%, after a fair bit of leveling, and if you're willing to do Heavy Armor you can take Spectral Warding out of the Illusion tree at a fairly low level. That maxes at 40% resistance when you have armor near the vanilla rating cap, so you can eventually hit the cap without enchantments. You can always take the Lord Stone too, if you want to make up the difference. It's kind of rough at the beginning for a non-Breton, yeah. If you're willing to go to Riften and do that boring quest, and/or you're not role-playing a lightly armored barbarian you barely need Resist Magic enchantments once you're a few hours in, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Herrvillain posted:

Well, with SPERG installed, Breton + Awakened Racials Perk + Agent of Mara + Resist Magic Perk (Alteration level 70) gets you past the 85% Magic Resistance cap from vanilla. For everybody else, Agent of Mara + Resist Magic gets you 45%, after a fair bit of leveling, and if you're willing to do Heavy Armor you can take Spectral Warding out of the Illusion tree at a fairly low level. That maxes at 40% resistance when you have armor near the vanilla rating cap, so you can eventually hit the cap without enchantments. You can always take the Lord Stone too, if you want to make up the difference. It's kind of rough at the beginning for a non-Breton, yeah. If you're willing to go to Riften and do that boring quest, and/or you're not role-playing a lightly armored barbarian you barely need Resist Magic enchantments once you're a few hours in, though.

Yeah there's a huge difference in "What is painful" between my Heavy two-hander Orc save, and my light armor Breton Save :v:

It's amazing what even one perk = 50% magic resist will do, compared to "Well poo poo, I'm not using shields so natural loot for element resists only comes in Boots and Amulets" and then only being reasonably protected by two out of three elements at any given time.

Though physical combat is certainly more painful/takes longer for the Breton, even with a frost atranoch chumping things by making them tip over onto their backs frozen. Crit battle axe train with an unenchanted weapon runs a lot smoother than actually enchanting up my swords or spamming invisible for free x30 dagger sneaks in how fast I clear a room.

Honestly for the most part I try to be rather enchantment light/use jewelry I've naturally found or looted. Since I don't min/max Smithing from zero to 70 first thing, that means I can't upgrade enchanted armor until I stop to boost myself from 50ish to 80 once Ebony ingots start spawning in shops. The majority of my mid progress enchanting tends to be slapping muffle on my boots of choice, or slapping damage enchants onto one handed weapons I know i can readily replace.

I know there's lots of options, but a lot of those options are along the lines of "Oh, just get 70 in Illusion to unlock spectral warding. That's a thing every character does at low level right?". Magic/element resists worth a drat on the stuff you like is much more going out of your way for it, than naturally occurring, basically. Even with how much I've been spamming muffle and Invisible on My Breton, the Emperor is dead just in time for me to hit 65 Illusion. For comparisons, One handed and light armor have hit 69, and Sneak has just hit 72.(Lots and lots of sneak attacks will do that I guess).

So while I understand how technically it's true... Well, my mindset tries to consider more naturally accessible stuff for a reason. Considering "So the most you have ever used illusion on any character still isn't enough for spectral warding yet". That Agent of Mara suggestion is nice, for example. Simple quest, not banking on some special snowflake equipment, or some perk 3/4 of the way to 100 skill, etc. (I've been trying to cast stoneflesh before every fight/sneak attack because I like alteration in general, for example. It's still only 51, and I think it hit 55ish where I left off on my Orc it was basically a wasted spell on).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Is Spectral Warding level 70? For some reason I was thinking it was level 40ish, since it's just right there off the first branch, but you're probably right. I always just pump potions of resist magic in the interim. Maybe it's a mod I have installed, but my last run with a Nord knight, I always had 5-6 of those things in my inventory that were at least 25-30% on top of Agent of Mara, and I never made or bought one. Oh, and I started in Solitude and got the Shield of Solitude pretty early on, so that's an extra 30% Magic Resistance + 30% or 35% Blocking bonus, IIRC. The Potema quest was a bitch, since it's all draugr and magic users, but between sniping with a bow and luring enemies into narrow hallways, I managed. Although, I may have only survived Potema because I quickly backed out of the final room, and waited for her minions to come through the door one at a time like they were in a Jackie Chan film.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Testing out my current load order:

Pretty happy with the current visuals, and I love what The Great Forest of Whiterun Hold has done to the game, at least from what little I've seen of it so far.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Falkreath more like Failkreath amirite? :smug:

Seriously, that does look nice but I like the tundra look original whiterun. Id love the see what that looks like with Skysight installed though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error with EzEs Colored Map Markers? I have the latest SkyUI installed so I don't know what it's referring to.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error with EzEs Colored Map Markers? I have the latest SkyUI installed so I don't know what it's referring to.

I think that's normal, as odd as it sounds. You can go into SkyUI's MCM to disable that notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Propagandist posted:

I think that's normal, as odd as it sounds. You can go into SkyUI's MCM to disable that notification.

Huh, weird. I mean, it's just a map marker reskin and it seemed to work fine once I closed the error the first time I brought the map up, but whatever. Thanks.