Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Jose posted:

steak currently resting

after resting

Looks excellent. What cut is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003

tagliatelle with a sage cream sauce, zucchini, asparagus, corn, fried sage leaves

franco
Jan 3, 2003

blixa posted:

Looks excellent. What cut is it?

He mentioned in another thread that it's skirt steak (not just for stews!).

blacquethoven posted:

tagliatelle with a sage cream sauce, zucchini, asparagus, corn, fried sage leaves

Oh HELL yes!

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I wifed up another victim so I've been cooking again lately. I just don't cook that much when I'm on my own. So much nicer to feed someone else.

Nothing special, just misc. stuff from around the house. Mac with pasta sauce and beef, middle layer is ricotta, cream cheese and broccoli, topped with old Canadian cheddar and panko.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Doctor posted:

I wifed up another victim so I've been cooking again lately. I just don't cook that much when I'm on my own. So much nicer to feed someone else.

Nothing special, just misc. stuff from around the house. Mac with pasta sauce and beef, middle layer is ricotta, cream cheese and broccoli, topped with old Canadian cheddar and panko.

When your plate looks as cool as the food

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
After that cool plate enjoy my ugly plate.

The journey from pork shoulder to pork bun:

Basic recipe, I used this for the dough and this for the meat.

They're good! The meat ended up a little on the tough side but that may just be because I completely forgot to add water to the brining/basting sauce. :sweatdrop:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

After that cool plate enjoy my ugly plate.

The journey from pork shoulder to pork bun:

Basic recipe, I used this for the dough and this for the meat.

They're good! The meat ended up a little on the tough side but that may just be because I completely forgot to add water to the brining/basting sauce. :sweatdrop:

Holy poo poo I almost wish I hadn't seen this. I'll remember this moment as the day it all changed. Gonna try it this weekend.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thats a very red pork shoulder

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I did izakaya night.

Made individual gyudons, tonkotsu, karaage, korokke, fried tofu, Japanese potato salad, cucumber salad, and lotus, leek, bamboo shoot, and asparagus wrapped in pork belly tempuras.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus, that looks so good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was really loving great. I thought I screwed up the tempura when I was making it but it turned out okay, and my friend who had lived in Japan said it was pretty close to the real thing. The rest of it I'd made before and knew it would be good but this was the first time I'd tried tempura. The selzer + vodka method works.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I made maple syrup butter tarts. They weren't perfect, but I was pretty satisfied given that it was the second time I've ever made pastry. Plus, for not being perfect they were still delicious.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Feeling a bit basic tonight and nothing cures them blues like booze and proper family recipe Amalfi polpette. I'll admit I over did the quantity of pasta, but it's fresh egg pappardelle so who cares, it's perfect for that sauce to stick to. Grated mozzarella on top with a generous helping of black pepper - warm ciabatta on hand to clean the leftover sugo a treat. :)

e: thumbnailed it.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 18, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Theophany posted:

Feeling a bit basic tonight and nothing cures them blues like booze and proper family recipe Amalfi polpette. I'll admit I over did the quantity of pasta, but it's fresh egg pappardelle so who cares, it's perfect for that sauce to stick to. Grated mozzarella on top with a generous helping of black pepper - warm ciabatta on hand to clean the leftover sugo a treat. :)

e: thumbnailed it.

Oowah that looks fabulous. Would it be a faux pas to ask for the recipe?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dijon du jour posted:

Oowah that looks fabulous. Would it be a faux pas to ask for the recipe?

Hell no!

For a 6 serving yield:

1500g of passata
400g beef mince
400g pork mince
6 cloves garlic (optional)
Olive oil
Salt & peppa

Method:

The meatballs are dead simple really, in a bowl combine the beef and pork mince with some salt and pepper and thoroughly mix with your hands. Roll up into roughly 1" diameter balls and add lay to rest on a pre-oiled baking tray. Once allowed to rest for a few minutes, grill until browned.

Whilst the meatballs are browning under the grill, it's time to make the sugo. The garlic is totally optional here, I just add it because we love garlic (this is the family bit really, the rest it pretty standard Amalfitano polpette), so if you want to go down the garlic route just finely chop or blitz as many bulbs as you like. In a large pot add a nice glug of olive oil, add the garlic to cook for a few minutes at a moderate heat. If you're not adding garlic, add the passata and olive oil to the large pot together and bring to the boil whilst stirring regularly. Once you've got the sauce to boil, reduce the heat to keep it a a very gentle simmer. In all, this is probably around 10 mins.

As soon as the meatballs are browned, add to the sauce and allow it to continue to simmer very gently for another half hour, stirring every now and then to make sure it doesn't burn to the pot.

It's a bit wrong to serve with pasta, but gently caress it the world is a harsh place and purism is overrated. It works very well as a side dish you can freeze and reheat in the microwave in a couple of minutes and then attack with some warm ciabatta.

eta: it will look like waaaay too much passata when it's in the pot, but trust me, it's not!

Theophany fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 19, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Theophany posted:

1500g of passata

I thought this was a misspelling of pasta for a second until I googled it. I've never heard of passata before. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at the grocery store!

Thanks for the recipe! Anything that calls for at least 6 cloves of garlic is my kinda dish.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dijon du jour posted:

I thought this was a misspelling of pasta for a second until I googled it. I've never heard of passata before. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at the grocery store!

Thanks for the recipe! Anything that calls for at least 6 cloves of garlic is my kinda dish.

No sweat! It shouldn't be any more expensive than canned tomatoes and with a pretty decent shelf life it's a good versatile thing to keep in the cupboard for days when you just can't be bothered with effort and want to throw something together quickly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Usually when I find passata it's a tad more expensive than tomato sauce (though maybe not more expensive than, say, canned whole San Marzano tomatoes), and it usually comes in a box, like this:

http://www.sunmarket.it/prodotti-alimentari-1/pomodoro-in-salsa-pelati/pomodoro-in-scatola/pomi-passata-di-pomodoro-brick-slim-gr-500.html

Though apparently it is also sold in jars.

But that pasta dish looks great and I plan on making it as soon as I have some time to make pasta!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, now I'm confused. Isn't passata just crushed tomatoes?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Phil Moscowitz posted:

it usually comes in a box ... Though apparently it is also sold in jars.

The opposite actually. Comes in tall jars usually. You will find it at whole foods, or just a decent market. The pomi boxes are what you will find in a Lucky's/Safeway/Kroger but the price is jacked up bs.

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, now I'm confused. Isn't passata just crushed tomatoes?

No it's strained. And not cooked.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Usually when I find passata it's a tad more expensive than tomato sauce (though maybe not more expensive than, say, canned whole San Marzano tomatoes), and it usually comes in a box, like this:

http://www.sunmarket.it/prodotti-alimentari-1/pomodoro-in-salsa-pelati/pomodoro-in-scatola/pomi-passata-di-pomodoro-brick-slim-gr-500.html

Though apparently it is also sold in jars.

But that pasta dish looks great and I plan on making it as soon as I have some time to make pasta!

Here in the UK I've only ever seen it in those tetra-pak type cartons too, probably a European thing as when I looked earlier for US examples they predominantly seemed to be in jars like Ranter said.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ranter posted:

The opposite actually. Comes in tall jars usually. You will find it at whole foods, or just a decent market. The pomi boxes are what you will find in a Lucky's/Safeway/Kroger but the price is jacked up bs.

Well "usually when I find it" it is in fact a box, whether sold at Whole Foods or the regular grocer. Just so people know that sometimes, if they can't find it anywhere in a jar, they should consider it might be in a box.

:)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Theophany posted:

Here in the UK I've only ever seen it in those tetra-pak type cartons too, probably a European thing as when I looked earlier for US examples they predominantly seemed to be in jars like Ranter said.

In Italy and Australia they come in jars. These are the 3 (inc. USA) places I've used them regularly *shrug*

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ranter posted:

In Italy and Australia they come in jars. These are the 3 (inc. USA) places I've used them regularly *shrug*

Oh fair enough, my experience in Italy is entirely as a tourist without the ability to cook for myself. I remember going to a mini-mart in Venice and seeing like 120% proof nondescript alcohol on sale next to the lovely vodka I was buying though and wondering wtf was going on. I do love the extravagant glassware they tourist trap people with in Amalfi though, it's just so drat pretty. I ended up paying stupid Euros twice to give my mum a gift of Limoncello (which she obviously chastised me for) and buying my gf a bottle of delicious syrupy balsamic.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Theophany posted:

Oh fair enough, my experience in Italy is entirely as a tourist without the ability to cook for myself. I remember going to a mini-mart in Venice and seeing like 120% proof nondescript alcohol on sale next to the lovely vodka I was buying though and wondering wtf was going on. I do love the extravagant glassware they tourist trap people with in Amalfi though, it's just so drat pretty. I ended up paying stupid Euros twice to give my mum a gift of Limoncello (which she obviously chastised me for) and buying my gf a bottle of delicious syrupy balsamic.

Venice is Venice. You have to go where the locals go and tourists don't during the winter months to get any sort of decent shopping and eating experience. We had a private guide that hooked us up with good spots but she mentioned that the islands themselves are slowly shrinking in permanent population as younger folk move to the mainland and rents keep going up. It's so spectacular and 'different' to any other city in the world, but it's super super touristy as you found.

I took some cooking classes in Florence, that's the only reason I knew they had them there.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ranter posted:

Venice is Venice. You have to go where the locals go and tourists don't during the winter months to get any sort of decent shopping and eating experience. We had a private guide that hooked us up with good spots but she mentioned that the islands themselves are slowly shrinking in permanent population as younger folk move to the mainland and rents keep going up. It's so spectacular and 'different' to any other city in the world, but it's super super touristy as you found.

I took some cooking classes in Florence, that's the only reason I knew they had them there.

Yup, the further off the beaten track you venture in Venice, the better everything apart from the scenery and surroundings gets. We went early March and it was cold as hell and yet you get people queueing round the block for Doge's Palace and poo poo. Though the fish market on the Grand Canal was bloody brilliant.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

emotive posted:

Tried making pasta for the first time. Came out surprisingly well.

angor posted:

I made Cornish pasties! Well not exactly, I didn't add beef this time around. These were onion, potato, turnip, and cheddar. Salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley.

iajanus posted:

Never made soup of any kind before but felt like making the missus and me a tasty pumpkin soup from scratch. Came out super creamy and tasty, really happy with the first attempt.

blacquethoven posted:

Nice work goones, that all looks delicious.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Went ahead and tried to make a decent beef brisket for a change instead of going with pulled pork. I'm never a big fan of my own cooking, but my girlfriend liked it. Served with sweet potato chips, fresh crusty roll, coleslaw and BBQ sauce.

lovely quality in the second photo, I was desperate to eat as I hadn't eaten all day and the having the shakes when you're using slow shutter speeds is a recipe for crap pics.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Theophany posted:

Went ahead and tried to make a decent beef brisket for a change instead of going with pulled pork. I'm never a big fan of my own cooking, but my girlfriend liked it. Served with sweet potato chips, fresh crusty roll, coleslaw and BBQ sauce.

lovely quality in the second photo, I was desperate to eat as I hadn't eaten all day and the having the shakes when you're using slow shutter speeds is a recipe for crap pics.

traitor! the pork gods are displeased.

does look good, though. Tell me more about the slaw, I've been trying to come up with some subtle ways to up my slaw game.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Trebuchet King posted:

traitor! the pork gods are displeased.

does look good, though. Tell me more about the slaw, I've been trying to come up with some subtle ways to up my slaw game.

I felt bad the whole time I was cheating on the pork :(

Actually I totally cheated on the slaw because I was juggling a load of things today and ended up getting stuck in traffic for 2 hours to travel 8 miles, so it's store bought. My shame is great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
braise it with red wine and some carrots and diced celery and its real good if not actually what you were after. not sure what veg to replicate the slaw though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I love that people are enjoying braising but I wish they'd quit calling it barbecue.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Most people I know don't call it barbecue, I don't think anyone here did? If anything, bbq'ing seems to mean grilling some burgers and sausages half the time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Made fried chicken for the first time ever and was delighted with the result :). Super crunchy and juicy. Just need to up the spice/flour ratio as the coating wasn't as flavourful as I was hoping since I used too much flour.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Rurutia posted:

Most people I know don't call it barbecue, I don't think anyone here did? If anything, bbq'ing seems to mean grilling some burgers and sausages half the time.

ok there's very little i get actually pedantic about but conflating grilling and barbecue is at the top of the list. mostly because I get seriously excited for barbecuing (always excited to observe and learn and hone my own skills) and when it turns out it's just too-done burgers and crinkly franks it's like the most culinarily disappointing thing I can think of.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Trebuchet King posted:

ok there's very little i get actually pedantic about but conflating grilling and barbecue is at the top of the list. mostly because I get seriously excited for barbecuing (always excited to observe and learn and hone my own skills) and when it turns out it's just too-done burgers and crinkly franks it's like the most culinarily disappointing thing I can think of.

To be fair, for those of us that aren't American, barbecuing and grilling are synonymous.

e: to be more accurate, SOME other countries use the two terms interchangably. Australia, for example. Except here grilling something also commonly means putting it under the direct heating elements at the top of an oven.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 24, 2016

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Great, now I'm going to have to do some etymological research. Thanks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iajanus posted:

Made fried chicken for the first time ever and was delighted with the result :). Super crunchy and juicy. Just need to up the spice/flour ratio as the coating wasn't as flavourful as I was hoping since I used too much flour.

Man, now I want fried chicken for breakfast.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

iajanus posted:

To be fair, for those of us that aren't American, barbecuing and grilling are synonymous.

e: to be more accurate, SOME other countries use the two terms interchangably. Australia, for example. Except here grilling something also commonly means putting it under the direct heating elements at the top of an oven.

Also the UK. A barbeque here is burgers and also sausages that are somehow charred black on the outside yet still raw right in the middle. Inna bun.

(My American, Southern wife has Views on the subject, too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I only use "barbecue" when I dig a hole in the dirt, cover a whole animal with leaves and coals, and eat it with my hands in the traditional fashion. Anything else is wrong.

• Locked thread