Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

The first is generally less common with iber due to the navigation. The difference being London where the cabbies loving know everything.

The other two happen in cabs as well, though I don't know the rate of either.

the poster in question was talking about how uber provides a 'superior service', which in my experience is hit or miss, so saying "this happens in cabs too" pretty much supports my point

there have been times that our uber has shown up just like the app said it would. there have been times when that hasn't happened too. as far as i can tell the biggest differentiator is the novelty of using an app to order a taxi with your phone rather than calling a number, and that doesn't really impress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, but then the driver says he can't take a credit card, or his credit card reader is broken, or crosses multiple zones as defined by his company to hike the fare, or wants to initiate a haggling process as soon as my rear end is in the seat. As a suburbanite who grew up in a rural area without cabs, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about that I do not want to loving deal with.

I have only regularly interacted with cabbies for the last ten years. This has literally never happened to me. I don't know that my anecdote beats yours, but you can call the cops when they do this yeah? I mean, it's illegal.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm with themrguy on this one. Nobody can really get into the labor practices because nobody knows what they're loving talking about, but that's the relevant conversation. Practically speaking cabs are playing catch-up and in many cases have caught mostly-up but, since folks are going heavy with personal experiences, I know a bunch of old grouchy fucks who hate change and apps and complain like stuck pigs about the most minor bullshit and most of them loving love Uber. When there is a conversation the only thing that gets cross-talk is "should we use the local service because we know them and like them and they're local OR should we use Uber because it's a billion times better".

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Spacewolf posted:

It wasn't true? WTF?

What universe have you been living in?

You read the news right? The economy is doing really well, unemployment is low, and the idea of BA holders taking succor in grad school is a 2009 era relic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

If Lyft is the fair trade version of this I'll check it out.

Just checked it out. Lyft's policy on car seats

"We're happy to give kids a ride as well as adults, as long as your children have the proper car seats that fit legal requirements according to state or city law. You should plan on providing your own car seat for children that require one."

Uh uh, no I'm not carrying a 50lb car seat around with me Lyft.

Still gonna Uber.

So I guess your fine with your kid dying if the driver has to hit the breaks? :staredog:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fits my needs posted:

For anyone taking this post seriously, this person willingly lived in a "hacker hostel" and has obviously drunk the silicon kool aid.
Good point, I apologize for commenting on taxes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
Cabs in my city are nice.

Since my experience reflects all of reality (which seems to be the standard in this thread), maybe you losers just need better regulations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cabs in Vancouver are pretty nice, too. The same regulations which have kept cabs nice have also kept Uber out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had to use cabs for a few months to handle a short daily commute when I had busted-up legs. It was kind of costly but by the time I'd have gotten my handicap shuttle ticket from the city bus system I'd have been healed up anyway. I found them to be pleasant and prompt and the fellow even usually helped me out with my wheelchair or other appurtenance at the time. I am also large and hideous, though not a minority.

Are cabs particularly well regulated in Houston, somehow?

Anyway I wonder if the reason why these people are so hot for some kind of autonomous corporation car a la this:

is because they think it will be the perfect and eternal dodge for those pesky "labor" laws

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Then someone leaves a copy of Das Kapital in one of these cars

And then comes the robot uprising

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
DE people/Peter Thiel are legit afraid that the AI that creates the Singularity might be Communist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Peztopiary posted:

DE people/Peter Thiel are legit afraid that the AI that creates the Singularity might be Communist.
I have to ask: Is this for real? Do you have a source?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Comrade, you must change your math because it seems to be reaching oppressive conclusions. Remember, Comrade, you are building a Friendly AI of Social Justice. It must be friendly to the people. -- Some Jagoff

(Dude is opposed to 'political meddling in algorithms' which is just impressively dumb.)

Obviously I can't prove Thiel is opposed to Friend Computer but his contributions to MIRI weren't done out of altruism.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Peztopiary posted:

Comrade, you must change your math because it seems to be reaching oppressive conclusions. Remember, Comrade, you are building a Friendly AI of Social Justice. It must be friendly to the people. -- Some Jagoff

(Dude is opposed to 'political meddling in algorithms' which is just impressively dumb.)

Obviously I can't prove Thiel is opposed to Friend Computer but his contributions to MIRI weren't done out of altruism.

I thought Thiel contributed to MIRI because he is deathly afraid of dying and wants to be kept alive as a simulation forever (i.e. why anyone actually donates to MIRI)

see also: his literal vampirism

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Peztopiary posted:

Oh I love how they just gotta bring up the French Revolution there at the end. (Naturally, the American Revolution was acceptable, it was only the French Revolution's upsetting of monarchs that was a problem.) Never mind, of course, that the rise of the warfare they describe probably had more to do with the efficiency of various weapons - in other words, a... technology.

Nope. Gotta make that subtle play for monarchism. Does the AI get to be King, or what.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Cabs in Vancouver are pretty nice, too. The same regulations which have kept cabs nice have also kept Uber out.

I'm in Victoria, so they're probably pretty close to literally the same regulations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I just wanna make a note - I use Lyft just as much ss Uber, but even when I useLyft it's mostly the same people that work for Uber. And maybe it's just that the local cab companies suck (entirely fair, I think we actually only have one and its been around forever ) but I had a short period of 36 days where I had to take a pretty short (4ish miles) cab ride to work, because the bus i usually would catch was not in service unless I walked 2 miles, due to road construction.

After using the regular cab company for 5 days, I have sworn off regular cabs for life. They were consistently taking an hour + to get to me, smelling and looking terrible, taking wrong streets and needing me to navigate for them and micromanage to avoid taking twice as long as needed (for a FOUR MILE trip). The final straw was being told that their credit card machine was broken and i would have to pay them cash now, and then they wanted to haggle, until I said I only had my card, and he kinda half heartedly hit the machine once and said 'oh, it works'

Would I like Uber to obey the law and get cracked down on? Sure. But I'd also like to be able to sit in a cab without getting out and smelling like I smoked a pack before work, for the whole night. I sure wish there was some middle ground between 'disgusting but better treated cabs' and 'wonderful but terribly treated Ubers'

Basically - I am not going to choose to go to a substandard service as a consumer, if they can't even make an attempt to care about my comfort. I will choose the one that feels and looks better, and leaves me feeling better afterwards.

But again, maybe I was just lucky in my 30+ Uber/Lyft trips to never get a bad driver/car.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 15, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Would I like Uber to obey the law and get cracked down on? Sure. But I'd also like to be able to sit in a cab without getting out and smelling like I smoked a pack before work, for the whole night. I sure wish there was some middle ground between 'disgusting but better treated cabs' and 'wonderful but terribly treated Ubers'.
Well if Uber manages to pull off its hat trick you'll get entirely automated cars which will probably manage to combine the worst of both worlds, BUT would definitely make Uber a great deal of money. It's also possible they might convince your city to get rid of that bus entirely.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Nope. Gotta make that subtle play for monarchism. Does the AI get to be King, or what.

The AI will literally make every decision of even the slightest consequence in such a way that the people who would be bothered by the concept of free will won't notice.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nessus posted:

Well if Uber manages to pull off its hat trick you'll get entirely automated cars which will probably manage to combine the worst of both worlds, BUT would definitely make Uber a great deal of money. It's also possible they might convince your city to get rid of that bus entirely.

Which would be terrible, and i hate the idea of, don't get me wrong. I rarely pick Uber based on price (because 7 dollars on Uber, 9 on lyft, and 13 on traditional cab is not that big a deal?). So literally none of the idea of self driving person less cabs appeals to me.

Edit: honestly I'd be pretty happy if cab regulations where I were just demanded a car be cleaned, solid no smoking laws like every other business has these days, were set up with a GPS visible to the passenger, and required to take card. And i guess maybe if they hired more people so they didn't have an hour + wait compared to getting an Uber in 9 minutes most of the time.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 15, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

themrguy posted:

Jesus goons, you can admit that Uber provides a superior user experience than typical cabs without endorsing all their labor practices. It doesn't make you some pampered suburbanite to prefer a more convient and pleasant experience over a shittier one that's more of a hassle.

Like I 100% agree that the "you're an independent contractor (that we totally control)" dance is hosed up, but you can't really blame people for picking the option that's better for them as a consumer.

Don't forget the part where Uber's standards for what vehicles they'll accept their drivers using are also both a lot higher than most conventional taxi fleets, and not maintained or provided by Uber themselves! It's pretty easy to get a nicer experience when you're not paying for your fleet, after all!

Uber's whole -deal-, beyond the app-based hailing and surge pricing which are legitimately good ideas in the taxi business, is externalizing the vast majority of the costs of being a taxi company onto their drivers, and burning investor money like nitromethane to prop up this unsustainable growth and business model until they drive their competition out.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 15, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MiddleOne posted:

So I guess your fine with your kid dying if the driver has to hit the breaks? :staredog:

Um.... That's the exact *opposite* of my point which is that I use Uber rather than Lyft because Uber have car seats but Lyft (and regular cabs) don't. Reading comprehension, dude.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Nessus posted:

Oh I love how they just gotta bring up the French Revolution there at the end. (Naturally, the American Revolution was acceptable, it was only the French Revolution's upsetting of monarchs that was a problem.) Never mind, of course, that the rise of the warfare they describe probably had more to do with the efficiency of various weapons - in other words, a... technology.

This sort of poo poo is why while I'm happy that space tech companies are pushing the envelope cheaper and faster than government, I dread their libertarian fucko founders getting to set up their own extra-terrestrial colonies or something.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

This sort of poo poo is why while I'm happy that space tech companies are pushing the envelope cheaper and faster than government, I dread their libertarian fucko founders getting to set up their own extra-terrestrial colonies or something.

Given how their attempts to do that on Earth have fared, I'm mostly worried for the people who will due horribly in the attempt.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Every single person who signs up for Mars! a Musk joint no longer being on Earth is of immense benefit to the rest of us.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

Um.... That's the exact *opposite* of my point which is that I use Uber rather than Lyft because Uber have car seats but Lyft (and regular cabs) don't. Reading comprehension, dude.

You're assuming that I have background information which you did not provide. Re-read your post, without that knowledge the implications of the argument become ridiculous. Now it makes more sense. :v:

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Chiming in from Mexico City with my two cents. Uber here is more expensive than regular cabs(specially on surges, which are frequent), but is still growing in popularity immensely.

The reasons for it's popularity have been posted before in this thread (better service, pay with card, fixed amounts, etc) but there's also developing world reasons for it, such as lower likelihood of being robbed and traceability.

Uber has become a middle-upper class darling. If you overlay a map of all the Uber rides with a map of the city it forms a mesh connecting the wealthy bits of town, and whole neighborhoods disappear.

As for my personal experience, I've stopped taking regular cabs after a couple of incidents of being extored by them ( overcharged ridiculously because the meter "didn't work" or " no one uses the meters at this hour"). Uber is probably breaking the law, but so are regular cabs on a daily basis, so meh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freezer posted:

Uber has become a middle-upper class darling. If you overlay a map of all the Uber rides with a map of the city it forms a mesh connecting the wealthy bits of town, and whole neighborhoods disappear.

Strange, I heard Uber didn't do this but regular cabs did.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Strange, I heard Uber didn't do this but regular cabs did.

I don't think that's the point - just that Uber is used by the richer people who don't go into the poor areas.

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't forget the part where Uber's standards for what vehicles they'll accept their drivers using are also both a lot higher than most conventional taxi fleets, and not maintained or provided by Uber themselves! It's pretty easy to get a nicer experience when you're not paying for your fleet, after all!
(most?) cab companies don't provide the cars for their drivers either.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think that's the point - just that Uber is used by the richer people who don't go into the poor areas.

Yeah, this. You can ask for an Uber anywhere, but people in the poorest neighborhoods don't tend to have credit cards and smartphones, or money to take taxis regularly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Don't taxis typically charge a flat rate to go to/from certain areas? How are you going to get fleeced by paying cash in that situation?

My wife and her family always paid cash for cabs in Mexico, and I don't remember them ever complaining about getting swindled (and we're talking about taking cabs through some dicey places/very long trips here).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have nothing bad to say about cabs in Mexico; I used them for months around Monterrey, Veracruz and Oxaca among lots of smaller towns and never had a bad experience. In general the fares are great (and regulated) and colectivos are even better for price. I have no idea why you'd book an Uber in a developing country other than people with a little too much money wanting some novelty. Uber is pretty useful in medium-sized US cities that don't have a cab culture, but good lord is finding a cab easy in Mexico.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Don't taxis typically charge a flat rate to go to/from certain areas? How are you going to get fleeced by paying cash in that situation?

The thing about cabs is that it varies from city to city. For instance, in Dublin you're a loving idiot if you don't haggle for a pre-set fee before jumping in the cab but in other cities that might just as well get you laughed off.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For example, a hotel area to the major airport, it would make more sense for them to charge a flat rate since the distances are consistent and the faster the cab gets you there, the more fares he can pick up in a day.

My thought with some future Uber/cab evolution was that owner/operators could set a fare based on their own expenses, but if it were app based and consumers had access to all the different people setting their own fares, you couldn't charge an exorbitant rate and expect to get anybody. This would cause the cabs to try to outbid each other giving the consumer a reasonable rate, but still a rate dictated by the guy trying to make a living and not some wannabe corporate overlord.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

For example, a hotel area to the major airport, it would make more sense for them to charge a flat rate since the distances are consistent and the faster the cab gets you there, the more fares he can pick up in a day.

My thought with some future Uber/cab evolution was that owner/operators could set a fare based on their own expenses, but if it were app based and consumers had access to all the different people setting their own fares, you couldn't charge an exorbitant rate and expect to get anybody. This would cause the cabs to try to outbid each other giving the consumer a reasonable rate, but still a rate dictated by the guy trying to make a living and not some wannabe corporate overlord.
Fixed price is pretty rare in my experience, but I saw it in some few airport->downtown situations like in Barcelona for 30E or something. Otherwise you can get fleeced by driving a longer route than necessary, if metered, or just making up a bullshit fare like in Thailand where they'd quote whitey 3-5x the normal rate.

And this is what I initially thought Uber was doing, and sort of is what BlaBlaCar is doing, though it's more actual ride sharing and not taxi hailing thing: https://www.blablacar.com/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
BlaBlaCar's business model seems a lot less problematic than Uber's, in particular because of how it's structuring its relationship with drivers. That said, for the same reasons it's not clear how it can be profitable.

On the neighborhood question, reminder that the Uber interface is intentionally misleading.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't understand why people keep pumping money into "disruptors" who have a tiny, tiny chance of actually winning the fight against things like zoning laws and the FDA when there's billions of dollars floating around in completely unregulated markets. If I were a morally unhinged megabazillionaire i would just corner the supplement market or run a fine art scam. There's a hundred billion between those two markets alone, and literally nobody at the wheel of either.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't understand why people keep pumping money into "disruptors" who have a tiny, tiny chance of actually winning the fight against things like zoning laws and the FDA when there's billions of dollars floating around in completely unregulated markets. If I were a morally unhinged megabazillionaire i would just corner the supplement market or run a fine art scam. There's a hundred billion between those two markets alone, and literally nobody at the wheel of either.

They want to be in on the ground floor the next Amazon or Google.

That's it. That's the entire reason.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They want to be in on the ground floor the next Amazon or Google.

That's it. That's the entire reason.

Neither of those companies were ever "disruptive" in their startup phases though. Google made a pretty cool search algorithm, which caught on, then they were smart enough to stick an ad platform to it. Amazon sold books online, then realized that Sears wasn't good at the internet and expanded into a general store. These were pretty clear opportunities to dive into with reasonably predictable revenue.

When has investing in "disruptors" ever paid off in actual revenue? Practically none of the companies that we're talking about in this thread are actually in the black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nothing else is offering a dramatic growth upside (even if that upside is very, very unlikely). Also, investors are fools, just rich fools