Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bop Street is like a 15 minute bus ride from Jive Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

No matter what kind of music you're into, you will find something utterly loving mind-blowing at Crossroads Records on Hawthorne, guaranteed. I found two copies of The Apple soundtrack, two Frogs records, a pristine copy of Ween's The Pod, all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Sadly their copy of Crispin Glover's album had the corner cut off. I kind of regret not getting that one.

It's a waste-an-entire-afternoon kind of place.

This. Everyday Music can be found on both sides of town. Music Millennium is the classic Portland shop

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

beergod posted:

Am I being neurotic or is this a *lot* of surface noise for a brand new, newly cleaned record? I swear it wasn't this bad before I cleaned it. Cross-posting from the Vintage thread.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02e0rmVN3B4

what's your process for cleaning? I know during one batch after a clean I was doing a listen of some newer records I just finished cleaning and noticed a huge jump in surface noise. Turned out my rags were getting old and started shedding a bit. Just micro amounts started collecting on my needle. I tossed all those out and brought in a fresh pair. Then incorporated a separate wash cycle (A: wash in spin clean with cleaning fluid, dry. B: wash basin with soap and water C: wash record last time in just distilled water).

Haven't noticed an issue since. Though I am starting to really consider a nitty gritty purchase. Perhaps if I can secure a new contract gig in the next month or two.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I picked up a second hand copy of an old Orange Juice album yesterday which has clearly not been treated well; it's free of scratches but has patches of Christ knows what on the second side. What's the best way to wash vinyl?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

1/4 of 96-99% isopropyl alcohol, 3/4 distilled water, a one or two drops of Dawn. Use a microfiber cloth.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I'm not a big collector of vinyl at all. But slowly I've been obtaining my favorite albums. I stop in random record stores I see along the way and just browse. I must say, Tool's Ænima will forever escape me, I believe. I've wanted to not spend $250+ via eBay or Discogs, so I know I'm being unreasonable and just hoping to find the unicorn one day. Which means i might get a dastardly bootleg or fakes that are floating around, but even those are still 75-100. Well, that's my story. This is a cool thread.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Marklar posted:

I'm not a big collector of vinyl at all. But slowly I've been obtaining my favorite albums. I stop in random record stores I see along the way and just browse. I must say, Tool's Ænima will forever escape me, I believe. I've wanted to not spend $250+ via eBay or Discogs, so I know I'm being unreasonable and just hoping to find the unicorn one day. Which means i might get a dastardly bootleg or fakes that are floating around, but even those are still 75-100. Well, that's my story. This is a cool thread.

Maybe it'll be re-released someday.

I just picked up Pearl Jam's long awaited re-releases of Yield and No Code.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Marklar posted:

some of those bootlegs sounds great and are reasonably priced at around $40. Which since you know the price of an original is pretty drat reasonable.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Thanks both. I'll probably end up getting a bootleg and hoping for a reissue.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Marklar posted:

Thanks both. I'll probably end up getting a bootleg and hoping for a reissue.

Probably worth waiting until the new album comes out, see if they re-release some of the older albums around that time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Probably worth waiting until the new album comes out, see if they re-release some of the older albums around that time.

So check this thread sometime around 2027.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Get into it.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Get into it.

Dunno about the Chuck one personally but that Tiny Tim record is a legit 5 star classic so congrats

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's certainly Chuck's most well known record.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Or are you saying that Chuck is God, because the way you have the covers, it looks like Chuck is looking down on Tiny Tim from on high.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Get into it.

God Bless Tiny Tim is excellent. His second album is also worth picking up if you don't have it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So ordered two copies of the Shaggs re-release one as a gift and they sent two copies of Lee Moses time and place.

I'm conflicted

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I stopped at an awesome garage sale today. Guy had about 2-3k records, of every genre. All were individually priced but the vast majority were under $5 and most were $1. Picked up the following:

He knocked $5 off so $25 total. I'm most excited about the Toni Basil album (which may as well be considered part of the Devo catalog). For some reason that's one of those albums that never made it to CD, and I've been looking for it locally forever.

I wish I would have looked longer and bought more.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here's one I got today for all the Turbonerds out there:

It's an audio drama that was voted as their best Doctor Who story (because it is), so they released it on vinyl. It's my favorite Doctor Who story and I'm going to get it signed by Paul McGann this winter. Worth every penny.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

no

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i'll allow it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

GonSmithe posted:

Here's one I got today for all the Turbonerds out there:

It's an audio drama that was voted as their best Doctor Who story (because it is), so they released it on vinyl. It's my favorite Doctor Who story and I'm going to get it signed by Paul McGann this winter. Worth every penny.

that's pretty cool! I don't know the original format, do they manage to fit an "episode" on each side or is there some sort of intermission they use to split it up?

(I imagine that you can fit a lot of minutes of talking on a record, since the audio quality requirements are less stringent?)

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Hell, what kind of tiny screws can I get at Home Depot to attach an AT440MLa to a Technics headshell?

Frys maybe? http://www.frys.com/search?pType=&cat=&query_string=screws&storeNo=7

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Got the Gilead Media summer releases pack in the mail. Today seemed a properly gloomy day to listen to this stuff.

Krallice - Hyperion.

Anicon - Exegeses.

Mizmor - Yodh.

It also came with a CD of the Thou - Peasant reissue, which I didn't bother taking pictures of but is very nicely done.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

quote:

That's gorgeous.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Those Anicon and Mizmor albums are so so loving good

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Ummm.... What?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ozmarecords/voyager-golden-record-40th-anniversary-edition

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If I already have the original, is this remaster worth the upgrade?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

sorry i don't collect best-ofs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Colored vinyl? No thanks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

shut up and take my money

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
a couple thousand years from now the aliens will be selling the original on discogs and someone will comment about doubting its VG+

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Why's the rerelease got three records? Did NASA really cut that many b-sides?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
one side is just Carl Sagan talking about poo poo while playing a theremin.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Allen Wren posted:

Why's the rerelease got three records? Did NASA really cut that many b-sides?

The actual gold records are something like 16 rpm so it could be 90 minutes long.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

one side is just Carl Sagan talking about poo poo while playing a theremin.
Day one purchase.

EDIT: I originally read this as "Carl Sagan talking poo poo," which would be so much better.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 22, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

The actual gold records are something like 16 rpm so it could be 90 minutes long.

I did not know that!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ballz posted:

Then make the rerelease 16rpm, this is some bullshit. If I want a replica of that iconic record I don't want it split into three. It's not that hard to find a 16 player and if the sound is good enough for first contact with alien life forms, it's good enough for me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

We should have hosed with the aliens and made it like that Jack White record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense