Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
holy poo poo that Thai kick video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

holy poo poo that Thai kick video

Japan loving rocks

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
ot is off topic not over time

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Mario Thai Kick one is so good too. The guys are all trying to beat some custom-made Mario level and they're all failing repeatedly. Finally one of them gets to the end and they're all so excited. Mario goes down a pipe and it drops him out into open air and he falls for about five seconds, and then he passes a bunch of bricks that spell out "Tanaka Thai Kick" and dies there, so it just freezes on the screen for a second and gives the Mario "Level Failed" music while they all realize what the blocks say.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
whoa, they played mairo, thats pretty extreme if you ask me

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Reminder that some Japanese guys actually played Mario MEGATHREAD

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nothing like american TV to take a simple concept and completely suck the life out of it.

Right you are, Ken.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its cool they never found this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Apple Computer got sued a whole lot by Apple Corps (a media corporation owned by The Beatles), and breached the agreements multiple times.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

having his son write the emotional letter was probably the best

the reason the heartfelt letter was good was because those desk videos always, always have something awful on them and the "your kid tells you how much they love you" was a bait-and-switch

that was one of the most brutal things ever, dude was crying and everything

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Edit: Missed the conversation that started the whole wacky game show thing.

Beastie has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Sep 15, 2016

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Beastie posted:

Not to keep bringing things back to Batsu games but this is pretty ridiculous and I doubt most of you have heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasubi

Basically they forced this guy to live off things he won, until he won $10,000 worth of stuff. When he finally did it, they blindfolded him and moved him to another apartment and made him do it again.

What's crazier is that apartment was in South Korea and he was stuck there without his passport. When he finally made it out of that one they took him blindfolded to another apartment, where he sighed and took off his close. Then the walls fell down and he was in a studio.

thank you for this post but we have been talking about this exact guy for the last 4 pages

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I must have missed that in all the fevour of the other crazy rear end things Japan puts on Tv.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that was one of the most brutal things ever, dude was crying and everything

yeah he was crying because

-his son just said on national tv what a good dad he was and how much he loved him
-he was about to get kicked by a man who kicks people for a living
-he was in awe at what a brutal setup that was and how badly he had been owned

all of those emotions were going on when he was kicked by the thai kick dude

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Beastie posted:

I must have missed that in all the fevour of the other crazy rear end things Japan puts on Tv.

Here are a bunch of old VCR commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1YdUnO2l4

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

-his son just said on national tv what a good dad he was and how much he loved him

exorbitant Zorba the Greek and Ginos Of Pizza didn't have no kids once the lizards took over

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You have to love Japanese game shows.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
batsu is a truly fun show irl

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

japan has the worst sense of humor...puns and slaptick jfc.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lol I know I watched it when it came out, I love that poo poo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

This was no where near as good as the 2016 special where they watched an over the top cartoon of them selves that resulted in him getting Thai Kicked.

Then they got told to play a level of Mario Maker and win by the end of the 24 hours. Tanaka, who by his own admission sucked at video games, spent ages just playing the level. He FINALLY gets to the end of it after repeated failures on everyone's part and as he falls through the final pipe to hit the flag at the end he sees the blocks spelling out "Tanaka Thai Kick!"

He breaks down in tears.

Edit: Found a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTWkhJ8hvVI

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I cant tell if you guys are joking

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Here's another incredible thing that happened, courtesy once again of Drunk History:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Zemurray posted:

Zemurray's birth name was Schmuel Zmurri. He was born in Kishinev, Bessarabia, Russian Empire (present-day Chişinău, Moldova,) to a poor Jewish family that emigrated to America when he was 14. Zemurray had no formal education. He settled in Selma, Alabama, where his uncle owned a store, and where he encountered bananas for the first time. He entered the banana trade in Mobile, Alabama in 1895, at the age 18. His early wealth was largely due to a very successful venture in New Orleans, Louisiana. Before Zemurray, the bananas that ripened in the transport ships were discarded upon arrival at the port, because they could not be delivered to market quickly enough to avoid spoilage. Zemurray bought the ripe bananas very cheaply and sold them locally and along the rail lines to grocers. His success earned him the nickname "Sam the Banana Man."[3] By age 21, he had banked $100,000. He later bought a steamship and went to Honduras. In 1910, he bought 5,000 acres (20 kmē) of land along the Cuyamel River. He later added more land and found himself heavily in debt.

At the time, the governments of Honduras and Nicaragua were working to reschedule their sovereign debt. United States Secretary of State Philander C. Knox was involved in the negotiations, which would have agents of bankers J.P. Morgan and Company sitting in the countries' customs offices to collect the taxes needed to repay the debt. Zemurray feared that he would be taxed out of business and appealed to Knox for help. Knox spurned him, so Zemurray returned to New Orleans, where deposed Honduran president Manuel Bonilla was living in exile. Zemurray contracted two mercenaries, Guy "Machine Gun" Molony and Lee Christmas, who along with Bonilla devised a plan to overthrow the Honduras government. Zemurray smuggled Bonilla back to Honduras, along with a ship full of powerful weapons, and Bonilla was successfully returned to power in a military coup. Bonilla then granted Zemurray the land concessions and low taxes that saved his business.

Man finds an opportunity selling bananas in the American South, makes a fortune, yadda yadda yadda, and he's overthrowing foreign governments. BTW this is where the phrase Banana Republic originated from.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jose posted:

its cool they never found this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs

:yeah:

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-418820/Scotland-Yard-hunt-Igor-assassin-Hain-breaks-ranks-attack-Putin.html

"Igor, whose full identity cannot be revealed for legal reasons, is said to be a judo master who walks with a slight limp after an accident. Slim, muscular and 6ft tall, he speaks perfect English and Portuguese - and has been trained to kill."

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Remember when McDonalds had a whole website up that told people to save money by firing their nanny, taking only one holiday a year and breaking their food into smaller chunks to stave off hunger?
https://thinkprogress.org/mcdonalds-tells-workers-to-budget-by-getting-a-second-job-and-turning-off-their-heat-c3bce1526c1e#.3mhm7hmuz

They took down the site so I can't find any more good ones

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There is horse meat in all the cow meat. Everyone forgot a week later.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Here are a bunch of old VCR commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1YdUnO2l4

Remember when VCRs actually cost over $2500?

266,000 yen sound like an awful lot of money in the late 70s for a VCR...how much content could there have been at that time available on VHS?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Autechresaint posted:

Remember when VCRs actually cost over $2500?

266,000 yen sound like an awful lot of money in the late 70s for a VCR...how much content could there have been at that time available on VHS?

Lots of new tech was like that. Early adopters paid a ton of money for products that had very little available media at launch and there was always the possibility that a competing format would turn your very expensive purchase into nothing more than a paperweight.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

FIRST TIME posted:

Lots of new tech was like that. Early adopters paid a ton of money for products that had very little available media at launch and there was always the possibility that a competing format would turn your very expensive purchase into nothing more than a paperweight.

god bless early adopters

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
I think early adopters are loving idiots who have too much money

but I have to hand it to them, they're in there getting angry at bugs so I dont have to

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Companies could charge an rear end and a leg for home video players back in the 70s just for the novelty of watching a whole movie at home, on your TV. It didn't matter so much that very few movies were available because watching any movie at home was a big deal. Oh and the first video tapes were like $80-$90 each. :lol:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

FIRST TIME posted:

Companies could charge an rear end and a leg for home video players back in the 70s just for the novelty of watching a whole movie at home, on your TV. It didn't matter so much that very few movies were available because watching any movie at home was a big deal. Oh and the first video tapes were like $80-$90 each. :lol:

the new releases were still exorbitantly priced for a long time afterwards to let blockbuster et al have a functioning business model

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
when my folks moved to west germany when i was young they picked up a VCR and they recorded a bunch of american tv to watch when they were over there. the commercials on those tapes are so loving funny now. it was mid-80s flyover state local ads so like car dealerships and tractor pulls

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

dookifex_maximus posted:

I think early adopters are loving idiots who have too much money

but I have to hand it to them, they're in there getting angry at bugs so I dont have to

My parents refuse to get rid of the vintage-rear end plasma TV they bought in 2003. The picture looks like poo poo now, and it's not even HD (some weird resolution like 1280x760) and there's no HDMI on it so everything's connected with composite cables :saddowns:
It doesn't help that they loving bolted it to the living room wall to stop anyone breaking in and stealing it (thing cost them $10,000+)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

wayne curr posted:

My parents refuse to get rid of the vintage-rear end plasma TV they bought in 2003. The picture looks like poo poo now, and it's not even HD (some weird resolution like 1280x760) and there's no HDMI on it so everything's connected with composite cables :saddowns:
It doesn't help that they loving bolted it to the living room wall to stop anyone breaking in and stealing it (thing cost them $10,000+)

In like 10 years some sperg is going to figure out that VTech V. Smile games only look perfect on that exact model TV and then who's going to be laughing? :retrogames:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

wayne curr posted:

They could get a much better TV for what, $3-500 now? They'd expect to sell their paperweight for 8k , I imagine. They might get some retro gamer nerds to cart it off for free.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wayne curr posted:

haha, this rules. Dad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i bet it weighs a fricken ton

• Locked thread