Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Time to start the betting pools for what causes Griffith to lose his grip and how many chapters until the reveal. Throw in comedy melodrama option where he suicides by Guts because his dream is a farce and he eventually comes to terms.

Please, all that is unholy, not that actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope it's Casca just calling Griffith a pathetic batman ripoff.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Isn't it stated somewhere that the brands make them immune to fate, and therefore the godhand's influence?

It's more like they can jump from the river on occasion, so they can make waves, but they still have to get back in eventually. The brand in full effect means that they can be tracked by all sorts of meanies and that they are condemned to hell and "claimed" by whoever sacrificed them. "nullifying" the brand, to me, would mean that they get to keep the positive effects, but they are no longer "claimed", condemned to hell, or bleed in massive pain when a God Hand is around. Sort of like what happens with the MC in Morrowind, only that was more of a disease. To me, it would be a positive thing, but with unintended consequences.

quote:

Hey, that would make Griffith 2-for-2 on "regicide by fire". :v:

Well, maybe, but I think that if something like that happens, then it would be on a much larger scale. However, I also tend to think that the Elf Queen will avoid such a confrontation and basically hand over what Griffith wants. After that, Falconia gets to be invaded by Elfhelm on one side and Rickert on the other.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 15, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The softest ending I see here is Griffith feeling rejected by the humans and just going back to Escher land, but the bridging of the planes seems to make that unlikely, and Griffith tends to bring everything down in flames when he doesn't get his whiny way.

If Guts' most recent monologue is any indication, then Griffith has to soar higher, ever higher... until Icarus, and his dream will die with him. Though it was a slightly weak delivery, it may be that Guts just recently understood Griffith's drive, as Guts is now very intent on finding help for Casca; the difference seems to be that Guts is willing to wait a little bit, so perhaps he better understands why Griffith was hell bent on ascending so quickly, with complete disregard for those around him.

Griffith may be on approach to killing the Idea (this has been previously suggested), but maybe he will do it when he finally decides to sacrifice himself for once instead of sacrificing things that he feels are his by fate ("You are mine" to Guts, etc.). If his ascendency is "flawed" because Casca and Guts are still alive but branded, the only path to removing the brand might be to have Griffith remove it or the entire system. Griffith may seem them out in order to purify his position, but may realize he is still too connected to them and not willing to sacrifice them after all, in which case the Godhand may force him into a position where he has to sacrifice his dream and himself.

/ramble

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Griffith may be on approach to killing the Idea (this has been previously suggested), but maybe he will do it when he finally decides to sacrifice himself for once instead of sacrificing things that he feels are his by fate ("You are mine" to Guts, etc.).

He had been willing to sacrifice himself for his ideal, such as when he sold himself to that noble in exchange for supporting the Band of the Hawk. He just went off his rocker after what happened with Guts, and everything was downhill from there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, even though Griffith had sacrificed everyone for his dream, he was only ever allowed to sacrifice them because they meant something to him. Just, you know, not quite enough.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't think the Hawks were ever truly anything other than staircases that he was walking up. They were all tools, as far as he was concerned. "I like this sword best" or "This knife is really good for throwing" was basically the way he saw all of them, apparently until Guts showed up (as Casca tells it, the first time Griffith ever said he wanted someone). Later we find that Guts and Casca "are essential to the Hawks".

At the Eclipse, what then does he truly sacrifice? Oh sure, take my armory and my sword collection, and the horses too, because this will be better. The only remaining items were actually kinda like people, and he ended up having to deal with Guts and Casca by himself... and he chose to mock them. So then, which sacrifice really mattered? The Hawks? Or his friend, Guts?

I also thought of Gennon. Griffith had his little moment of weakness after that boy died on the battlefield. I think that was more Griffith using himself than anything. He would just have well sent some other member of the Hawk to do the job, but he was the one most equipped to do it. It's not as if Griffith doesn't ride into the battles; Gennon was just another pebble to step over, and it fell to Griffith to do it.

Guts, by contrast, is the struggler. After having his Black Swordsman depression and making sure the lost children were never found :buddy: he's basically done everything to rescue and protect Casca.

Guts has had a lot more sacrifice in his life (and it's kinda killing him). riffith was fated. What did he do other than just "Ho hum sure do it, I didn't need that anyway I guess"?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The game is called Berserk and the Band of the Hawk, apparently.

Which is a kinda lovely title, people are going to think Guts is called Berserk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GREzfETwRbA

new trailer here

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
They also showed some gameplay at TGS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjzFOG4h2Sk

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
That's an incredibly bad title holy poo poo lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Should be fun for a day or two, not expecting anything long lived from it.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Why is that every time they try to localize titles they always come out lovely? Couldn't they just have kept the title as "Berserk Musou"? It's not like musou is such an obscure term among the gaming and the otaku crowds.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
berserk musou is a lovely title too

berserk warriors would have been fine

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:ughh: Could have just kept it Berserk and that would have worked, what an awful loving title

Game looks dope though

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Law Cheetah posted:

berserk musou is a lovely title too

berserk warriors would have been fine

Or just Dynasty Warriors: Berserk, like they did with the Gundam Musou games.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's coming out in late February in the US and Europe, that's going to be a long loving wait

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtI43m5mIwzCAOLiXbHZbng

This channel is uploading the new Berserk songs

e

spoiler: they're extremely good

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 15, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Awesome Welles posted:

:ughh: Could have just kept it Berserk and that would have worked, what an awful loving title

Game looks dope though

Bet it was legal issues with that old arcade game. It's "Sword of the Berserk" all over again.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Awesome Welles posted:

It's coming out in late February in the US and Europe, that's going to be a long loving wait

With that and Persona 5, I'm going to be very busy in February

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rodyle posted:

As big a bullseye as Elfheim seems to have on it yeah I don't think taking on Wizard Country will be as easy as apostles might imagine.

Whatever happens I think it'd be way more interesting is Elfheim isn't destroyed, either at all or successfully if an attempt ends up being made.

Oh they're going to loving try. Griffith's Ambition wouldn't let something like that exist as a threat to him. But it would be fun to see a war between monster people and wizards and possibly funny to see a lot of ignorant assholes led by Griffith get fed into an ethereal meat grinder they cannot comprehend. Even Apostles probably don't even understand most of the poo poo the angels do so strategy against Elfhelm is already shaky even with a psychic and otherworldly Godhand on your side because you can teach someone what a battering ram is or how to ride a horse, you can't as easily explain why there are wind pixies ripping their friend's face off.

As for the video game's stupid name, first, why is it hard to name it Berserk and would it work if you just name the eventual From Software title Kentaro Mirua's: Berserk?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Oh they're going to loving try. Griffith's Ambition wouldn't let something like that exist as a threat to him. But it would be fun to see a war between monster people and wizards and possibly funny to see a lot of ignorant assholes led by Griffith get fed into an ethereal meat grinder they cannot comprehend. Even Apostles probably don't even understand most of the poo poo the angels do so strategy against Elfhelm is already shaky even with a psychic and otherworldly Godhand on your side because you can teach someone what a battering ram is or how to ride a horse, you can't as easily explain why there are wind pixies ripping their friend's face off.

As for the video game's stupid name, first, why is it hard to name it Berserk and would it work if you just name the eventual From Software title Kentaro Mirua's: Berserk?

That said, odds are heavily on Elfheim falling.

How else is Puck's Behelit going to trip?

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Oh they're going to loving try. Griffith's Ambition wouldn't let something like that exist as a threat to him.

YUP. No doubt they will try. It's pretty clear that Griffith wants his rule to apply to EVERYONE. I do, however, agree that it would be interesting if Elfhelm wasn't completely destroyed. I also think that whatever happens to elfhelm, I would love to see a "THIS IS SPARTA" scenario with Guts kicking a Falconian emissary down a cliff. Would get rid of some static minor characters, that's for sure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not going to say that puck using the behelit is the DUMBEST possible turn this can but it's up there

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
With how Skull Knight and Ganishka have proved you can use the pieces of the Godhand's work to slightly less effective ends, I can see Behdi being experiemented on or used by Wizards as a doomsday weapon or a warp the poo poo out of here because everything's going bad option. But then again, if I was sort of right that maybe Slaan wants to see Guts use it, they'd probably wait until Guts has the most hope before attempting to twist and make him destroy an almost recovered Caska.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Burn down Elfheim.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I don't think the Hawks were ever truly anything other than staircases that he was walking up.
I don't buy that because sacrifices don't work that way. Griffith is like Guts in that he realizes what he wants after he loses it. Just as Guts pretended that he didn't care about anything in the Black Swordsman, Griffith pretends he doesn't care about Guts (and the hawks) now. Casca won't be healed, Guts will die, Griffith did nothing wrong.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
What I really like about the elaboration on the behelits' purpose and function as dimensional keys is that it makes Skull Knight's dumbass plan of "eat a lot of eggs to make a sword" make a lot more sense in retrospect. It explains (well, sort of) what happened to Ganishka, and why Skull Knight thought he could step to Femto in the first place.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

LordMune posted:

What I really like about the elaboration on the behelits' purpose and function as dimensional keys is that it makes Skull Knight's dumbass plan of "eat a lot of eggs to make a sword" make a lot more sense in retrospect. It explains (well, sort of) what happened to Ganishka, and why Skull Knight thought he could step to Femto in the first place.

I mean its still stupid because he's effectively trying to use fire against a loving fire God by thinking he can utilize warps against the Godhand, but it's not entirely senseless if that's the most he or his witch friend could come up with to go after them on their own playing field. With regular Behlits seeming to be in endless supply, it is the most logical otherworldly resource to go after.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Gomarz/status/776781639040983042

Millennium Falcon next year it looks like.
Probably another CGI fest

(and hopefully another new Hirasawa)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I would like for Guts to kill Griffith with his big sword, but I can understand and respect if that is not what happens in the end.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
guts is gonna do a totally loving rad somersault with his sword and bisect griffith vertically and griffith's blood and guts and brains are gonna go flying fucken everywhere

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"Look, just shut up and sit in this barrel till I clear out the zombies and the next door opens. We've been over this."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://twitter.com/Gomarz/status/776781639040983042

Millennium Falcon next year it looks like.
Probably another CGI fest

(and hopefully another new Hirasawa)

turn left Miura nooooo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Think about the end of the Conviction arc.
Now, consider the fact that Ash Crow plays during this episode.

Guess when:

If you guessed "When Nina and Joachim talk about eloping", you're right and get help. Shambolic use of that song.

They used 2D animation to preview it. Spring 2017.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I would like for Guts to kill Griffith with his big sword, but I can understand and respect if that is not what happens in the end.

I disagree, and do not wish Guts to impale Griffith with his big sword, no matter how appropriate it would be as the consummation of the big weird love triangle they have going on.

The arm cannon is a more established finishing move, and has the advantage of poetic justice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't want him to impale Griffith or blow him up with the cannon. I want him to use the flat of the blade to crush his skull.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I want Guts to put Griffith's sword in his mouth and then jump on top of him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Darko posted:

I want Guts to put Griffith's sword in his mouth and then jump on top of him.

lewd

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They should kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

mabels big day posted:

They should kiss.

Berserk is forever the most violent gay manga.