Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I saw a dude with a visor so it might be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I really do hope they add a new class of some sort or expanded with some different options what the Range/Pale Wing playstyle is like.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm at 80% overall completion with 4.1 vanilla so I gotta close the gap before 5 comes out.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

I can't even tell if that's actually new game footage or from old EDFs.

Which previous EDF had giant frog soldiers and crystal towers.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

fritz posted:

Which previous EDF had giant frog soldiers and crystal towers.

I don't know I haven't played them all.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Night10194 posted:

I only saw a Ranger and Wing Diver/Pale Wing.

There'd better still be a loving Air Raider.

I've only played since 2025, have they removed classes before? I thought every EDF has just been an improvement over the last, adding more stuff

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wouldn't mind if they rolled ranger and raider into one class. Ranger could use a quicker way to get around and limpet guns aren't exactly interesting for raider.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
(barely) 60 fps trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWHIy9pR9s

Earth eaters look a little different. There's also a big green and gold thing behind that building

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

I've only played since 2025, have they removed classes before? I thought every EDF has just been an improvement over the last, adding more stuff

2 already had the WD and 3 (2017) didn't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HolyKrap posted:

EDF 2017 removed the proto-Wing Diver, the Pale Wing, to only have the Ranger again.

efb: loving Storm One, he's too fast and renders the rest of the EDF irrelevant.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

You can play as the Pale Wing in 2017 on the Vita. It's a pretty cool shakeup from regular 2017. Gotta beat the game as Storm though.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I wouldn't mind if they rolled ranger and raider into one class. Ranger could use a quicker way to get around and limpet guns aren't exactly interesting for raider.

This was actually sort of the case in 2017. Storm One used to have turrets, C-bombs and Y-mines. He couldn't call vehicles, but some would be scattered around the map in various missions with infinite ammo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If they let reloads continue while you are in a vehicle so much gimmicky stuff would suddenly become actually useable and maybe even good. All the proximity claymore type weapons, the ultra-long-reload posts, etc.

^^Like all those (except for the turrets, but they actively penalize you for using vehicles too)

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 14, 2016

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Help, my moto-boner won't go away. Please send assistan- EDF!! EDF!! EDF!!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HolyKrap posted:

(barely) 60 fps trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWHIy9pR9s

Earth eaters look a little different. There's also a big green and gold thing behind that building

I can't help but hear the opening notes of the trailer as "GI-ANT IN-SEEECTS" in my head.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

I can't help but hear the opening notes of the trailer as "GI-ANT IN-SEEECTS" in my head.

GI-ANT IN-SEEECTS

GI-ANT IN-SEEECTS

THE EDF

DE

PLOOOOYS

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Famitsu posted a few of the world's tiniest screenshots of EDF5

There was also a D3 livestream of EDF that ended like 50 minutes ago that I missed. Schedule for D3 streams here, don't think they're in English though. Really hope they're working with XSeed or someone else for localization, I don't want to wait til 2018 to play

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
PC at launch or at least confirmed for a couple months after would be nice too guys

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

EDF5 had better keep couch co-op. It's the number one feature for me in this game.

Especially when one of you is up close and the other one is acting like artillery. It's like having picture-in-picture for your explosion targets! "No, a little to the left."

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Light Gun Man posted:

PC at launch or at least confirmed for a couple months after would be nice too guys

That schedule is saying PS4-exclusive game EDF5, so signs are looking grim.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HolyKrap posted:

Famitsu posted a few of the world's tiniest screenshots of edf 5
What are these, screenshots for antsgiant insects???

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 15, 2016

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Unless they have the localization ready at launch, I'm not expecting a PC port right away. They'd be crazy not to port it shortly after release though, 4.1 did pretty good on Steam. 95% user reviews and around 60k owners according to steamspy.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bewilderment posted:

EDF5 had better keep couch co-op. It's the number one feature for me in this game.

Especially when one of you is up close and the other one is acting like artillery. It's like having picture-in-picture for your explosion targets! "No, a little to the left."

Yeah, 4.1 is definitely the best "co-op with girlfriend" game I have so they better keep local co-op. The Air Raider-Fencer combo is really fun since one person paints targets and the other one obliterates them.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIQ45-eZqo&feature=youtu.be

Notable changes: Sprinting(!), enemy blood splatters onto walls, frogs come from new dropships.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gi-ant frog men?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Notable changes: Sprinting(!), enemy blood splatters onto walls, frogs come from new dropships.

100% guarantee the reason for the sprinting camera placement is wing diver upskirts.
The limb destruction looks cool though.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 15, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Potato Salad posted:

Gi-ant frog men?

:getin:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Insect Armageddon becomes slightly "relevant*" again.

*cause sprinting

The new Diver outfit looks like it's a mashup of both the original Pale Wings and Diver costimes. Also with GI-ANT FROG-MAN, I wonder if they're going to pull a All You Need is Kill in EDF5.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

[Desire to re-install Photoshop increases]

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So we still don't know if there are any more classes besides Ranger and Wing Diver?

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I would hope they still have Air Raider. Limited mission specific vehicles and lumping all the support stuff on the Ranger, like the early games did, would be a poor gameplay reversion.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh my that Zangeki no Reginleiv style limb destruction.

Judging by the street furniture EDF5 will feature locations outside of Japan. I wonder if we'll get to demolish the houses of parliament in glorious HD?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Some more gameplay here at 6 hours 30 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGUepa7OWM&t=23401s

The menu shows just ranger and wingdiver, hopefully just because it's a demo version cause there's room for 2 more

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

HolyKrap posted:

Some more gameplay here at 6 hours 30 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGUepa7OWM&t=23401s

The menu shows just ranger and wingdiver, hopefully just because it's a demo version cause there's room for 2 more

A huge change seems to be that switching away from a weapon stops it reloading.

Edit:

TheBlandName posted:

I'm guessing you play a lot of Wing Diver.

That's how it already works for Fencers, Air Raiders, and Rangers. It's literally not changed at all except for the UI being more useful and showing your ammo count in your second weapon.

Well drat, I could have sworn it worked like that, you're right though, Wing Diver is my favorite class!

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 15, 2016

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Ardryn posted:

A huge change seems to be that switching away from a weapon stops it reloading.

I'm guessing you play a lot of Wing Diver.

That's how it already works for Fencers, Air Raiders, and Rangers. It's literally not changed at all except for the UI being more useful and showing your ammo count in your second weapon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Concurrent weapon recharge is kinda a cornerstone of Wing Divers, though. Not having it totally changes the loadout I'd bring to missions.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Is there any point in playing Ranger? The fencer I play with just zooms past me at light speed, has more powerful weapons and survivability thanks to the aforementioned light speed zooming plus more armor. Air raider can nuke the planet for more damage in one strike than I can do in a whole match, wing divers can fly around...

Should I just restart with another class? What purpose do I serve? I do no damage compared to anyone and die instantly in close range. The only upside I see is that I can drive vehicles my air raider drops. Whoopee.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Damo posted:

Is there any point in playing Ranger? The fencer I play with just zooms past me at light speed, has more powerful weapons and survivability thanks to the aforementioned light speed zooming plus more armor. Air raider can nuke the planet for more damage in one strike than I can do in a whole match, wing divers can fly around...

Should I just restart with another class? What purpose do I serve? I do no damage compared to anyone and die instantly in close range. The only upside I see is that I can drive vehicles my air raider drops. Whoopee.

Ranger is definitely outclassed on Normal, but you will start to see him come into his own on Hard, and by Hardest you're squarely at the top of the combat food chain. Fencer weapons drop off hard toward the end of Hard mode and on Hardest, as a Fencer main, I frequently find myself doing like 75%+ of my damage with reflected acid, stingers, and webs because there's just no god drat way I'm ever going to be able to actually attack more than the odd enemy without getting bent over a table. Rangers become absolutely vital for dealing with concentrations of enemies and there's just no substitute.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

Oh my loving god, the frogs at the end can dive roll and make hand signals :stare:

We're fighting the Ravager Defense Force.

Damo posted:

I agree with the "It doesn't seem as stand out with normal drops" sentiment for Ranger.

Rocket launchers have the longest rage in the game right out the gate. Usually when I'm playing around with other classes, I'm often wishing I had a rocket launcher to no-scope a dropship or artillery hector from the opposite side of a map. Along with still being, well, rocket launchers.

Ranger has basically become my comfort zone, even if I really wish they had a 3rd weapons slot so I could bring a Reverser or some other niche toy to missions without giving up versatility. Every time I am jealous of Wing Diver thunder bows for being able to hit entire swarms at once, I remember the time wing diver players expressed shock over voice chat at how fast a Buffalo shotgun can kill a king spider or other tough targets if they are in range.

A casual observation is that apparently, Deroys are a bigger pain in the rear end for other classes. From how often I'm having a wonderful time either killing them or stripping them of their leg lasers while watching Wing divers and Fencers get shredded. I was pleasantly surprised to find Buffalo shotguns will really gently caress up a Deeroy if they wobble into range for them, while my stringer was reloading.

I am super sad there is no MLRA launcher for Hardest/Inferno tier like they get one last upgrade for the rest of their missiles though. 20 lock-ons vertical launcher is loving sweet when you finally get it for Hard, and for a good leg of Hardest though. Plus the vertical launch and small individual missiles mean they can often work well (or at least not kill yourself) in near point blank firing.

FORK launchers (a million small missiles fired at one target) are also super great at dealing with Red Drones, though.

It's always going to LOOK boring though, compared to the other classes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Potato Salad posted:

Concurrent weapon recharge is kinda a cornerstone of Wing Divers, though. Not having it totally changes the loadout I'd bring to missions.

It's probably still there, I haven't seen any WD gameplay yet. They just added a few hud elements to make it easier to keep track of your ammo now. When you switch a weapon mid-reload as ranger it'll have a small bar on the bottom right to show that